Very Good News

lazyboy97o

I don't think TDO will have a knee jerk reaction. The only thing I can see disney doing is if Potter really starts pulling attendence away, especially during the peak summer months is to start moving dirt on some really cool E tickets. All my fellow co-workers are going on and on about Potter. My one co-worker said her neighbor was down there for opening weekend and they didn't even get to ride forbidden journey. They went straight to guest relations and complained and they gave them tickets for 2 full days at universal for the whole family on their next trip. Whatever universal is doing they are doing it right and disney is holding steady.
Attendance is not really what matters. It looks nice to keep the numbers up, but Disney has been heavily discounting. The big thing is guest spending, which is already down significantly. What matters most is if people decide to spend their money on Harry Potter merchandise instead of Disney merchandise. Fantasyland is the type of stuff that can be sold to mommy and daddy's little princess so she can have a magical time. Something like Mysterious Island lacks a good merchandizing angle, where management all the way up see the most income potential. What they do not see is that they have already made the mistake of thinking people come to Disney to buy stuff.

munkgirl

Attendance is not really what matters. It looks nice to keep the numbers up, but Disney has been heavily discounting. The big thing is guest spending, which is already down significantly. What matters most is if people decide to spend their money on Harry Potter merchandise instead of Disney merchandise. Fantasyland is the type of stuff that can be sold to mommy and daddy's little princess so she can have a magical time. Something like Mysterious Island lacks a good merchandizing angle, where management all the way up see the most income potential. What they do not see is that they have already made the mistake of thinking people come to Disney to buy stuff.

Well they shot themselves in the foot when they decided to put the same crappy merch in every store. I know the way many families do it is that each kid has a limit - 1 "big" toy and 1 "little" toy, or $50 per kid or something. So a kid has to decide how to spend their money over the course of the week. This means many kids will wait the whole time and see what each place has. When they see the same things over and over, the "urgency" of "I WANT THAT" starts to fade, and by the end of the trip it's more like "Well, I guess I'll get that".

If there is something you see once and then don't see it again you build it up in your mind, and not seeing it in every store gives it a rosy tint and then you've GOTTA have it.

Then there's the other kid who just spends it on the first thing they like. These are usually the kids who, after they get the 1 thing they want, see another thing they want...and another...and another. These kids will just whine and annoy their parents until they get it...but since each store has exactly the same things, this doesn't happen. :shrug:

Disney should already know from pins and vinylmation that you have to create the illusion of "short supply" - even if there are 15 boxes in the back, if there's only a handful out in only one store, then people will tear themselves to pieces to get it because of the implied value they give it based on scarcity.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
cowbell.JPG

We have had many threads on this board saying how Disney does not have to react to anyone. They are the leaders not followers.

And trust me they do not have to react to WWoHP. We all know how great (sarcasm) Universal is at Maintenance and upkeep. Just look at Spiderman at IoA, that ride is in a horrible state.

And people flying or driving 8 hours to Orlando are not going to spend their 5-8 day vacations at Universal only, they will spend maybe 2 days at the most, and guess where the other days are spent, yes at Disney.

WWoHP at best robbed a day from a week long vacation from Disney.

Think about it, your flying in from New York and want to spend 4 days at Disney and 2 at Universal. Well now you have to rent a car or pay for a taxi to take you to Universal, because you get free transfers from the airport to a Disney Hotel (no need for a rental car). Then a multi-day Disney ticket gets cheaper the longer you stay, so you have to pay more just to go to Universal.

Let people go to Universal and Islands of Adventure, Disney still gets paid through Marvel Merchandise and ticket sales.

Now I have a half brother who is neighbors with a guy who knows the sister of someone at WDI that said that they might be expanding the Monorail.:veryconfu

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The Orlando Attraction ticket is better value and it doesn't require Disney accommodation or food. And those who are not inspired by the kiddy park marketing may find the other Central Florida parks more attractive.

8 hour flight from New York are they using a microlight?

ryno1982

And trust me they do not have to react to WWoHP. We all know how great (sarcasm) Universal is at Maintenance and upkeep. Just look at Spiderman at IoA, that ride is in a horrible state.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm actually going to defend Universal. Spider-man isn't in horrible shape at all. The projections are clear, the audio is clear, the pyro works. Everything is in sync. Now Ripsaw Falls and the Hulk- yes they are in terrible shape. But overall, Universal's rides are better maintained than Disney's. Splash Mountain is truly embarrassing. Dinosaur- ugh. Everest- wow. Tower of Terror's audio has been out of sync for almost two years. Nightastic changes aside, the ride is not up to Disney standards. Universal has plenty of problems, but overall the ride maintenance isn't nearly as bad as WDW.

Animaniac93-98

I wonder if Disney thought of at least putting out a press release on June 18th to distract the media from HP?

However, if any BK announcement was made it could easily be spun by the media as an "I'll believe it when I see it" story or a "Disney reacts to Universal" story.

SeaCastle

3 years ago WDW had Potter-killers lined up in each park and ready to go.

TDO said no.

Mermaid
Space Mountain 2.0
Imagination 4
Showcase project
Skydance
M:I Coaster / PP west
'Lucasland'
DAK phased Mountain project

2010 and the best so far is a delayed Mermaid. Even if the nod was given (and the budget) they wouldn`t be open for the 2012 summer season.

Are any of these close to fruition at present?

BrerFrog

3 years ago WDW had Potter-killers lined up in each park and ready to go.

TDO said no.

Mermaid
Space Mountain 2.0
Imagination 4
Showcase project
Skydance
M:I Coaster / PP west
'Lucasland'
DAK phased Mountain project

2010 and the best so far is a delayed Mermaid. Even if the nod was given (and the budget) they wouldn`t be open for the 2012 summer season.

:(:cry:

That is all I have to say.

cblodg

We just had Bob Iger say its time to cut back spending on the parks and that after the rush of things already in progress nothing new would be coming for a while... and yet people still will buy into this out of hope he was just "bluffing to the shareholders"

Face it. Disney is not the same company it used to be... the spirit of Walt is fading from the walls more and more every year. No one wants to take a risk, no one wants to do anything new.. and Tarps are an upgrade.

I think you nailed it right on the head. "Can't take risks as we have to look out for our shareholders!"

I know people say that we should be getting away from the whole "What Would Walt Think/Do?" mentality, but I can't. It was Walt's dream that made this all possible. The Florida Project was his vision for what Disneyland should have been. He wouldn't have let things slip as far as some have.

As for this rumor, I call shenanigans.

BrerFrog

I think you nailed it right on the head. "Can't take risks as we have to look out for our shareholders!"

I know people say that we should be getting away from the whole "What Would Walt Think/Do?" mentality, but I can't. It was Walt's dream that made this all possible. The Florida Project was his vision for what Disneyland should have been. He wouldn't have let things slip as far as some have.

As for this rumor, I call shenanigans.

The day the Disney leaders stop asking themselves "What would Walt do?" is the day when Disney magic will die for good. I certainly hope that day hasn't arrived.

lebeau

And people flying or driving 8 hours to Orlando are not going to spend their 5-8 day vacations at Universal only, they will spend maybe 2 days at the most, and guess where the other days are spent, yes at Disney.

WWoHP at best robbed a day from a week long vacation from Disney.

Not true. People make non-Disney trips to Orlando. A flex tickey can be very economical. I've done it myself. Truth is, a Sea World/Universal vacation can be less expensive and more enjoyable than Disney when the kids are older.

If the other offerings keep improving, Disney could one day lose out. But you're right in that it will take more than Potter for that to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom