Very Good News

BrerFrog

That day has long since passed.

I am sure there are still some people inside the company who ask themselves that question often, even if the bean counters don't like the sound of that question, because it is usually very expensive. :lol:

mp2bill

My friend said she dont know what the proposed the rides are but only of two she have seen, Beastly Kingdom/Journey to the center of the earth and a revamped state of the art The Great Movie Ride with HD and unbeliveable AA'S(movies and acquiring the rights to use them is a task). She said a lot constructions permits have been sent out and I dont mean for hotels! Draw your conclusions.

Hopefully the BK part is true. I am not a fan of CMM and would love to see a Malificient/Dragon ride or something in that spot.

Gregoryp73

I am sure there are still some people inside the company who ask themselves that question often, even if the bean counters don't like the sound of that question, because it is usually very expensive. :lol:

I still think Jon Lasseter is one of those people.

yensid67

i hear dallas is getting an in-n-out burger.
That's a rumor that i hope is true.

:slurp:

has anyone eaten at sonic drive-in? What are your suggestions for a newbie?

They are getting ready to open in chambersburg pa and would like to know the best burger, fries or tots, and the best drink to get my first time?

fosse76

We have had many threads on this board saying how Disney does not have to react to anyone. They are the leaders not followers.

And trust me they do not have to react to WWoHP. We all know how great (sarcasm) Universal is at Maintenance and upkeep. Just look at Spiderman at IoA, that ride is in a horrible state.

I can't respond particularly to Universal, but I experience more breakdowns at WDW than I do at Six Flags. My trip last month saw Space Mountain experience downtime every time I was at the MK...and RNR was down practically every other hour. Disneyland's ride breakdowns are even worse. I was there for 5 days two months ago, and I don't think a single day went by without Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and the Matterhorn having multiple lengthy breakdowns. Across the plaza Toy Story didn't even open! So I wouldn't cast aspersions about ride maintenance.

And people flying or driving 8 hours to Orlando are not going to spend their 5-8 day vacations at Universal only, they will spend maybe 2 days at the most, and guess where the other days are spent, yes at Disney.

I guarantee you that you are wrong. A lot of people skip Disney, particularly families with older children. Even people I know who go down there just for Disney don't spend their entire vacation at the Disney parks.

WWoHP at best robbed a day from a week long vacation from Disney.

I agree that Disney won't be losing much in the way of admissions, as many people may decide to go to Disney who otherwise wouldn't have. But don't think they are going to visit all four parks. Disney lost out on merchandise and food sales, which is a theme park's bread and butter (no pun intended). And fad or not, Harry Potter is still hot, and Disney is metaphorically losing millions of dollars as a result. And the millions of people who are now going to take a day trip to Universal are now NOT spending that money at WDW. Disney will certainly take notice of that.

Think about it, your flying in from New York and want to spend 4 days at Disney and 2 at Universal. Well now you have to rent a car or pay for a taxi to take you to Universal, because you get free transfers from the airport to a Disney Hotel (no need for a rental car). Then a multi-day Disney ticket gets cheaper the longer you stay, so you have to pay more just to go to Universal.

What is your point? People don't visit Disney JUST because they don't have to rent a car. And I bet you'd be surprised at the number of guests at WDW who also visit the other parks while in Orlando.

Let people go to Universal and Islands of Adventure, Disney still gets paid through Marvel Merchandise and ticket sales.

Merchandise and a set licensing fee. Disney does not make money off f Universal's admissions.

headhoncho34

Original Poster
So to clarify, posting crap is child like and useless. Perhaps you'd do well to remember that.
Your sarcasm really is amusing. I wasn't posting crap, it was a source that had a small amount of truth to it. You had your right to comment, but you didnt have to come at me in the ________ manner that you did. I was just posting what I thought could have been some good information in response to Harry Potter this week.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Your sarcasm really is amusing. I wasn't posting crap, it was a source that had a small amount of truth to it. You had your right to comment, but you didnt have to come at me in the ________ manner that you did. I was just posting what I thought could have been some good information in response to Harry Potter this week.

Small?

It was a rumor posted on MouseChat. No backing, just an unheralded rumor...

BigThunderMatt

Disney lost out on merchandise and food sales, which is a theme park's bread and butter (no pun intended). And fad or not, Harry Potter is still hot, and Disney is metaphorically losing millions of dollars as a result. And the millions of people who are now going to take a day trip to Universal are now NOT spending that money at WDW. Disney will certainly take notice of that.

Agreed. I can vouch for the fact that Universal made over $150 on me yesterday alone in both food and merchandise, not counting the four previous trips I've taken to WWoHP. I can't TELL you the last time I've spent near that amount in one day at a Disney park on MERCHANDISE. They're lucky if they can get me to buy a hat every 6 months, let alone a possible t-shirt.

Universal got something that Disney has been STRUGGLING to do for the last two years: the ability to make guests buy food and merchandise IN the parks.

People may still be coming to Disney, but they're packing lunches and hardly buying souvenirs at all anymore, and who can blame them with all the generically dual-branded Walt Disney World/Disneyland crap they sell these days?

misterID

3 years ago WDW had Potter-killers lined up in each park and ready to go.

TDO said no.

Mermaid
Space Mountain 2.0
Imagination 4
Showcase project
Skydance
M:I Coaster / PP west
'Lucasland'
DAK phased Mountain project

2010 and the best so far is a delayed Mermaid. Even if the nod was given (and the budget) they wouldn`t be open for the 2012 summer season.

:fork:

I can't believe I missed this post. What was the Mountain project supposed to be?

I guess, except for SM 2.0, all that could still happen.

From all the specials for APers and FL residents my guess is that's TDO's way of countering Potter; to make WDW's numbers look good on paper, like the discounts did for attendance. Hopefully Potter makes enough noise to get Anaheim's attention. Man, I hope they're watching Potter's crowds and merch sales. Because TDO isn't going to do any of that...

BrerFrog

:fork:

I can't believe I missed this post. What was the Mountain project supposed to be?

I guess, except for SM 2.0, all that could still happen.

From all the specials for APers and FL residents my guess is that's TDO's way of countering Potter; to make WDW's numbers look good on paper, like the discounts did for attendance. Hopefully Potter makes enough noise to get Anaheim's attention. Man, I hope they're watching Potter's crowds and merch sales. Because TDO isn't going to do any of that...

Yeah, Martin. Can you say something about the Mountain Project?! :D

bkgrim

this will hurt

You are correct. This will hurt Disney. On a recent 15 day trip I witnessed big crowds but also not many buying. This trip is one of the first times that we saw large groups of people bringing lunch and dinner into the parks. We like everyone else will continue to go to Disney. But we also plan to go to universal and visit
That means money to them.

Mouse Detective

Well, I am already hearing rumblings with the WWoHP. It was mentioned on the news and a couple of friends of mine said it isn't a "world" but rather a small cramped and crowded piece of land and once people go there and see how small it really is, the newness will wear of quickly. So I don't think Disney needs to do anything to combat the HP mania. Any thoughts?

Universal never said it was an entire themepark. It is just a separate "island" in Islands of Adventure.

The newness isn't going to wear off quickly. Forbidden Journey is an absolutely incredible ride and the entire village fully immerses you in the world of Harry Potter. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Even most Disney fans who have tried it are walking away in awe.

Captain Chaos

Universal never said it was an entire themepark. It is just a separate "island" in Islands of Adventure.

The newness isn't going to wear off quickly. Forbidden Journey is an absolutely incredible ride and the entire village fully immerses you in the world of Harry Potter. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Even most Disney fans who have tried it are walking away in awe.

While Universal never came out and said it, they never did try to correct the news and media outlets that portray it as a brand new theme park... In fact, today I saw it advertised as a theme park within a theme park... I forget what site I saw it on.. Wasn't Universal's... And I know a few people who question me if I heard about the new Harry Potter theme park.. I have to correct them all the time...

But to say this is going to disappoint a lot of people?? Highly doubtful.. Some people may come off being a tad disappointed it wasn't a huge theme park, but, after seeing the job they did, and the detail... I'm sure they will forget LOL...

BTW, watched a few videos on YouTube... one word: WOWZER!!!

RSoxNo1

I had heard that the "Mountain Project was intended to be another mountain on the Africa side of the park to balance out the park. There were more details than that, but they escape me at the moment.

SeaCastle

I had heard that the "Mountain Project was intended to be another mountain on the Africa side of the park to balance out the park. There were more details than that, but they escape me at the moment.

Wasn't there some relation between the lighting on Expedition Everest and a new land at the Animal Kingdom? I remember jedimaster saying that a while back but I couldn't figure out what the significance was.

Timmay

Well, I am already hearing rumblings with the WWoHP. It was mentioned on the news and a couple of friends of mine said it isn't a "world" but rather a small cramped and crowded piece of land and once people go there and see how small it really is, the newness will wear of quickly. So I don't think Disney needs to do anything to combat the HP mania. Any thoughts?

Yes...I'm glad you don't have any say in what Disney does in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom