Very Good News

Rob562

A mountain on the African side? Was this supposed to be a ride or just an expansion of Africa's scenery?

I've always thought that they should've built a scenery-only scale model of Mount Kilimanjaro that's visible off in the distance from some parts of the Safari... (Heck, the attraction is called *Kilimanjaro* Safaris, after all)
If placed far enough beyond the treeline of the savanna, it would definitely be pretty convincing. (As long as they could keep birds from landing on top of it somehow...)

-Rob

Captain Chaos

I've always thought that they should've built a scenery-only scale model of Mount Kilimanjaro that's visible off in the distance from some parts of the Safari... (Heck, the attraction is called *Kilimanjaro* Safaris, after all)
If placed far enough beyond the treeline of the savanna, it would definitely be pretty convincing. (As long as they could keep birds from landing on top of it somehow...)

-Rob

The same way they keep the birds away from Electric Umbrella...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The day the Disney leaders stop asking themselves "What would Walt do?" is the day when Disney magic will die for good. I certainly hope that day hasn't arrived.

It happed in about 1994, and stayed that way for several years, but I think they've slowly been moving back to that.

themeparkdude

We know that WDI has Potter-killer projects ready to go; it's just a matter of TDO approving them. So far, no permits have been filed for any new attractions outside of the Fantasyland expansion (which is not a Potter-killer, but rather addressing problems at the Magic Kingdom).

Since no one in TDO seems to be up to spending money on the parks, it seems a bit of the time before anything gets approved. Theoretically, Potter is the wake up call that WDW needs to step up its game.

I think its funny that so much blame "Al Lutz/Kevin Yee" and more believe its TDO making these budget calls. Everyone does understand that the funds are controlled in TDA right? TDO actualy has very little say in what happens when it comes to large scale projects. And as the company become more public with the one disney approach then hopefully it will become more visable to everyone out there.

SeaCastle

It happed in about 1994, and stayed that way for several years, but I think they've slowly been moving back to that.

Those executives never asked themselves "what would Walt do?", they just wanted results. However, what differentiated them from current executives is that they thought "if we build it, they will come". That mentality brought all of the expansions of that era.

Now, it's all about spending as less as possible on new stuff so that TDO executives can get their bonuses. However, things are slowly but surely getting better, and though we'll never be back to the levels of expansion and improvements that we had grown to expect with Richard Nunis and management in the 80's and 90's, there is some hope. (Case in point, look at how much the Magic Kingdom has improved recently with regard to upkeep.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
and more believe its TDO making these budget calls. Everyone does understand that the funds are controlled in TDA right?
Not nearly as much as they should be. The funds that is.

Cases in point; Space Mountain and Spaceship Earth.

SeaCastle

Not nearly as much as they should be. The funds that is.

Cases in point; Space Mountain and Spaceship Earth.

I died a bit on the inside when I was ready a July 2008 forum post, where it was almost definite that Space Mountain was receiving new audio, track, an exterior treatment, and the works. :cry:

And to think that 3rd shift had already spray painted where track would be cut inside the mountain...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom