Very busy Fantasmic shows with reduced performances

joanna71985

Sigh, I could see this happening. I don't think it will be much longer before that 45-minute line at GR will be longer.

This whole "2 days of Fantasmic a week" is so stupid! No wonder people are so mad.

DisneyGigi

I hope people complain like crazy about it. I understand there are cutbacks but why cut a show that is so popular? I have never been to Fantasmic when it wasn't packed even in slow times and have had to miss it a couple of trips because we didn't get in line early enough. :brick::brick:

AndrewRnR

The sad thing is I fully expect WDW to announce more DVC, more suites or even more hotels...

I as much as anyone would love to see new attractions and all but Disney is a business. DVC is a great way to "lock-in" guests (and their money) long term. It is brilliant. Hotels always look great on paper money wise since you can say "this new hotel will have X amount of rooms that will go for roughly Y about each night so you can look at an average profit of Z." Hotels offer a much easier (and sometimes quicker) return on investment then a make over of an attraction. For example the Haunted Mansion refurb last year costed millions and millions of dollars.... but I doubt it will have a great return on investment (how many people are going decide to book a trip to WDW because the Haunted Mansion was redone?). It was something that just needed to be done. Say they spent those millions of dollars and added a wing on to a hotel. They know that if those rooms are filled what money they are getting back.

Simply put attractions do not (directly*) generate revenue. Hotels do.

* Yes, yes people come to parks to ride rides and Everest uped DAK's attendance, etc. but say millions are spent to refurb Everest to get the Yeti working - I don't that will bring more people to the park.

hpyhnt 1000

I as much as anyone would love to see new attractions and all but Disney is a business. DVC is a great way to "lock-in" guests (and their money) long term. It is brilliant. Hotels always look great on paper money wise since you can say "this new hotel will have X amount of rooms that will go for roughly Y about each night so you can look at an average profit of Z." Hotels offer a much easier (and sometimes quicker) return on investment then a make over of an attraction. For example the Haunted Mansion refurb last year costed millions and millions of dollars.... but I doubt it will have a great return on investment (how many people are going decide to book a trip to WDW because the Haunted Mansion was redone?). It was something that just needed to be done. Say they spent those millions of dollars and added a wing on to a hotel. They know that if those rooms are filled what money they are getting back.

Simply put attractions do not (directly*) generate revenue. Hotels do.

* Yes, yes people come to parks to ride rides and Everest uped DAK's attendance, etc. but say millions are spent to refurb Everest to get the Yeti working - I don't that will bring more people to the park.

To play fanboys advocate here :)lookaroun) - How many people are going to decide to book a trip to WDW because Disney built a new hotel?

People come to Disney to go to the parks and experience new attractions, not lounge in a hotel. Not saying that Disney shouldn't build more hotels, but first, bring us some new attractions (which will help ensure that people continue to come to the resort), then you can go ahead and build a few more rooms to house them.

Just curious, does anyone know if/where one can find the occupancy rates for the WDW resorts for the year? The reason I ask is unless those occupancy rates are consistently at about 95% throughout the year for every resort, then I don't think Disney should be building more rooms. If you can't fill your existing ones, I don't think its wise to build more.

Upgrade117

Who didn't know this would happen.

From two times a night to two times a week... its unacceptable! Fantasmic is such a huge attraction at WDW, not even mentioning HS.. that's the biggest reason I head to HS.

During summer of 2008, I went to HS twice. Both times, saw the 10:30 (maybe it was 10?) performance and got it line no more than 15 minutes until show time, and got front row bench seats both times.. We were planning on going to HS again in early Feb., but reconsidered and changed our minds completely because of the news about the two-times-a-week shows.

:sigh:
I hope this gives HS a sign..
I'd say atleast no less than one show a night.. Fantasmic is just too popular.

Iknewagirlnamed

I feel bad for all of the CMs that are being yelled at for something that is not their fault at Guest Relations. I hope people complain, but don't take it out on the poor CMs.

AndrewRnR

To play fanboys advocate here :)lookaroun) - How many people are going to decide to book a trip to WDW because Disney built a new hotel?

People come to Disney to go to the parks and experience new attractions, not lounge in a hotel. Not saying that Disney shouldn't build more hotels, but first, bring us some new attractions (which will help ensure that people continue to come to the resort), then you can go ahead and build a few more rooms to house them.

You missed my point. I wasn't saying new hotels draw more people in. Look around Orlando (heck look right outside the WDW) there are tons of hotels. Those are people that could be staying in WDW. I'm just saying I believe it is smarter to spend money sometimes on new hotels then rides.

Again I say I would love new attractions but look at the business end. Magic Kingdom really hasn't gotten anything brand new on a large, large scale in YEARS. Yet it hits capacity during busy times and still draws the people in. Now lets look at numbers... lets say capacity attendance at Magic Kingdom is 65,000 (though some people claim its higher, for this sake well just pretend its 65k). There is 22,000ish hotel rooms at WDW. That means if everyone out of the 65,000 are staying on property thats nearly 3 people per room. Don't forget there are thousands and thousands of people at the other parks. Why do they all stay? Elsewhere.

Yes, Magic Kingdom only hits capacity a few times a year. So lets look at a "normal" day.
- Magic Kingdom averages around 45,000 people a day (it draws just over 17 million, divide that by 365).
- Epcot: 29,000
- Hollywood Studios: 26,000
- Animal Kingdom: 25,000

(these are averages based on total attendance for the year 2007).

That means on average 125,000 people a day (on average) visit WDW. We'll throw 25,000 out as park hoopers. So 100,000. That would mean if everyone in that 100k were to stay at a Disney hotel then there would have to be 4.5 people per room. That doesn't work since we know many (most) rooms only hold up to 4 people (don't forget all the rooms with only a king bed). My point... on an average day, if the parks had average attendance, the WDW resorts would not be able to accommodate everyone. (Don't forget about the convention guests who don't go to the parks, or guests who just don't go to the parks one day). I just really don't think Disney has hit the point of having too-many hotel rooms just yet.

Sure new attractions look great and bring people back. But many guests (I would venture to say mostly non-AP holders/out-of-state folks) come to Disney for Disney not because of a new ride or such. A relative of mine recently told me they are going to Disney... why? "We haven't been there in a few years and now the girls are big enough to enjoy it." Another family I heard similar tales "We haven't been to Disney World in years, we thought it would be time to come back." All these people live hundreds and hundreds of miles from Orlando. I never heard someone when I used to live in Michigan say "we are going to Disney World because of the refurb of Pirates or Everest!" WDW's marketing folks think the same way. In Florida you see the commercials for what's new and all. Elsewhere in the country you see the normal "Come to Disney World" commercials with the castle and characters in them. I really wonder how many people know about Toy Story Mania before they book their trip (well at-least until they pick up the guidebooks or surf the internet but if they are buying guidebooks and surfing the internet then they probably were thinking of going to WDW)

Heck I find myself thinking the same way about when I go to Disneyland. I don't go because they opened a new attraction. I go because I want my fill of the magic. I remember one of my last years in college my buddy and I were looking at spring break options. He suggested WDW because "I haven't been there in YEARS." I of course knew about Everest and when I told him he went "wow that sounds cool, but really I just haven't been to Disney is a long time and want to go back."

Disney has created such a product with the Orlando resort that people (outside of AP-holders, fanboys, locals) know that if they go it will be a good time. When was the last time you heard the average guest on Main Street go "man my vacation sucks, nothing has been added here in years." Instead you hear "man it is still as magically as last time."

Going back to hotels though... you build an attraction at the Magic Kingdom. Is it really going to increase attendance? Yes but enough to pay off the HUGE price tags that come with attractions. People were going to go to the Magic Kingdom anyways. Hotels generate revenue. A person stays in a room and the company makes money. Someone goes on Toy Story Mania it is hard to tell if the company makes money since that person very well could have paid to go into Hollywood Studios if TSM wasn't there.

Sorry for the ramble... I like all of you would love new attractions every year (its hard sometimes living in Florida when your old "home" park generally builds a monster of a ride every 2 years) but the business is different in Florida.

That means on average 125,000 people a day (on average) visit WDW. We'll throw 25,000 out as park hoopers. So 100,000.

Minor clarification here, the TEA/ERA figures which you seem to be quoting do not double count guests-- guests are only counted for the FIRST park they visit in a day, so you wouldn't need to subtract the 25,000.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So how early are they recommending you be there to get a seat? :shrug: We're going down in 9 days and this is on my list of things to do.
If the times that Steve reported are accurate then I would look at getting there at least 1-1/2 hours prior to the show or I would book a Fantasmic dining package.

The_CEO

If the times that Steve reported are accurate then I would look at getting there at least 1-1/2 hours prior to the show or I would book a Fantasmic dining package.

God you would think with the price of parking, concessions, and the gift shops that they could have regular show times for Fantasmic... What does it cost per show... $15,000? Isn't that like half the parking lot $ ? lol

TURKEY

Hmm. The cynic in me says maybe that's what they are trying to push people to. Get that credit card guarantee with a fixed price or $10 per person to cancel. :lookaroun

I don't have any evidence of this, but I wonder if there are more dining packages available now. :shrug:

The_CEO

I answered my own question. One site is reporting "At MGM Studios one show of Fantasmic costs $79,000."

That's pretty intense....

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
So how early are they recommending you be there to get a seat? :shrug: We're going down in 9 days and this is on my list of things to do.

Go get on line now. :lookaroun

Seriously though, I would consider booking a Fantasmic! Dining package. That way you can go eat dinner and not have to worry about getting to the show 2 hours before it starts. Instead you could probably get away with showing up about 45 min before hand and get a decent seat in the reserved seating area. Outside of having to stand, there really aren't any "bad" seats in the house...just some very far away ones. :shrug: If you do decide to book a Fantasmic! package call as soon as you can. I think the elimination of so many shows is going to make the dining package very very popular.

Foolish Mortal

I feel bad for all of the CMs that are being yelled at for something that is not their fault at Guest Relations. I hope people complain, but don't take it out on the poor CMs.

No matter what the business, employee's who deal with the public face to face ALWAYS take the abuse. Corporate high up's make the decision's then go about what to screw up next, never having to face or listen to the public.
Wanna get your point across ? Always file corporate complaints. Don't take it out on the front line person because they didn't make the decision nor do they have the power to change anything.

I'd be willing to bet that Disney's answer will be to only run the show during peak season's. Add more show's ? I doubt it.

bayoutinkbelle

You can bet if I can't get in (or there's no show; don't remember what the schedule is) during my upcoming trip that I will be standing in line to register my complaint. I'll be sure to follow that up with a written letter.

In the overall picture, it might not make a difference, but at least I'll feel better for doing it.

OldKeyWest

Honestly what did the suits think was going to happen? People were just going to be ok with arguably the best show and night show being reduced to two shows A WEEK! This is absolutely outrageous. I really hope they go back to the good old average of 6 shows a week when I go in June. If not I'm not going to have alot of fun camping out for 2 hours to get a seat.:brick::mad:

According to the post and news that started this thread, "managers were left at the entrance to explain to guests why they wern't able to see the show" since Fantasmic has been reduced to two shows per week. However, despite this claim and the the many reports of crowded conditions, I have not heard people online make any mention of actually being turned away from the show. Has it actually filled to capacity? Can anyone give first hand experience of being unable to attend Fantasmic? ...or has there been standing room available even during these busy times of two shows per week?

I suspect if the show was truly reaching capacity and people were being turned away we would hear about it through many complaints in forums like this.

IlikeDW

According to the post and news that started this thread, "managers were left at the entrance to explain to guests why they wern't able to see the show" since Fantasmic has been reduced to two shows per week. However, despite this claim and the the many reports of crowded conditions, I have not heard people online make any mention of actually being turned away from the show. Has it actually filled to capacity? Can anyone give first hand experience of being unable to attend Fantasmic? ...or has there been standing room available even during these busy times of two shows per week?

I suspect if the show was truly reaching capacity and people were being turned away we would hear about it through many complaints in forums like this.

Most are probably not back from their trips yet.

Heck even 4 show days a week (Like Thursday - Sunday, with 2 shows on Saturday and Sunday) would probably contain a lot of Guests' anger, and be relatively able to handle the demand for the show.

But, hey, what do we know, we don't make the decisions that make the World go round... we're only semi-affected by them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom