Very busy Fantasmic shows with reduced performances

Rob562

I suspect if the show was truly reaching capacity and people were being turned away we would hear about it through many complaints in forums like this.

Though you have to remember that twice-a-week Fantasmic just started, either this week or last week.

While not mentioning that he or anyone he saw being turned away, there was a poster on the RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks) newsgroup who said that months ago he'd booked the Fantasmic Dinner Package for tonight when he heard about the cut in shows specifically because he was worried about getting in to see the show.
When he tried to get into the reserved seating, it had been overrun with non-package Guests ("overrun" was the term a CM used, he said), and there were no more seats available.

So it seems like even booking the dinner package may not be of any use...

-Rob

Foolish Mortal

Heck even 4 show days a week (Like Thursday - Sunday, with 2 shows on Saturday and Sunday) would probably contain a lot of Guests' anger, and be relatively able to handle the demand for the show.

But, hey, what do we know, we don't make the decisions that make the World go round... we're only semi-affected by them.

Bravo, nice play on words :D

drew81

According to the post and news that started this thread, "managers were left at the entrance to explain to guests why they wern't able to see the show" since Fantasmic has been reduced to two shows per week. However, despite this claim and the the many reports of crowded conditions, I have not heard people online make any mention of actually being turned away from the show. Has it actually filled to capacity? Can anyone give first hand experience of being unable to attend Fantasmic? ...or has there been standing room available even during these busy times of two shows per week?

I suspect if the show was truly reaching capacity and people were being turned away we would hear about it through many complaints in forums like this.

This info would not have been posted by wdwmagic if it wasn't true.

This info would not have been posted by wdwmagic if it wasn't true.
I'm not doubting WDWMagic's reputability. The news did not in fact state that the shows were filling to capacity and that people were being turned away. They simply said that managers are having to explain to people why they couldn't see the show (ie. people could be upset that there is standing room only or that they don't want to arrive rediculously early to get the seats they are used to getting in a more reasonable pre-show time, or that the show isn't being performed on some nights. I'm simply wanting to know if in fact the shows have been closed off to incoming visitors and if people are unable to enter the theater since the reduced schedule has begun.

I want to know for my own benefit (will I be able to get into the theater if I don't care from where I view the show?), and I want to know because I suspect that if the show still has any standing room at all that the Disney decision makers will be satisfied with the reduced schedule.

RWilliams

Premium Member
I have no way to validate the following information- it is purely rumor that I've heard but I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. I was told that Fantasmic has closed to capacity at least once and at that time they were forced to turn away 50+ people who were on the Fantasmic dining package. Again I have no idea if its true or not but that's the word on the streets of America. :lol:

NX2I85

Whoa! :brick: If I booked a F! Dinner Package and was turned away I'd be sort of ticked off because guaranteed seating would be the only reason I'd book such a package. I wonder what happens at such a time. Does management refund the cost of supper? I guess they can't just slip you a couple of FPs since the park is pretty much closing by then.

Tinkrbell

I work at Fantasmic. The managers told us during our meeting before the show on Monday night that last Thursday's show was filled to capacity & they still had to turn people away. They did not tell us how many people they ended up turning away, so I cant share that with everyone. The benches have been filling up by about 45 minutes before the show starts, Im not sure how long after that standing room fills up.

Here's a hint for everyone who wants to see the show. The theater opens to guests an hour & a half before the first show. The theater is open for guests for the 2nd show as soon as all the guests who were watching the first show have exited the theater.

*Edit: I got yet another call from scheduling this afternoon, after I had left for the day so I wasn't able to update sooner. But the second show for tomorrow night has been taken off the schedule. I'll try to keep everyone updated if I hear about extra shows being added. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to the 2nd show, but I'm just passing along the message.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I work in costuming at Fantasmic. The managers told us during our meeting before the show on Monday night that last Thursday's show was filled to capacity & they still had to turn people away. They did not tell us how many people they ended up turning away, so I cant share that with everyone. The benches have been filling up by about 45 minutes before the show starts, Im not sure how long after that standing room fills up.

I got a call this morning from scheduling, letting me know that my schedule for tomorrow night has been changed because a 2nd show of Fantasmic has been added. They didnt say what time the show would be, but based on the time I am now scheduled to work, Im guessing that the first show is still at 7pm, like it was originally scheduled & the 2nd show is at 8:30pm. Im not absolutely sure about the time of the 2nd show, but Im working the same times as other nights when there were two shows at 7 & 8:30.

Here's a hint for everyone who wants to see the show. The theater opens to guests an hour & a half before the first show. The theater is open for guests for the 2nd show as soon as all the guests who were watching the first show have exited the theater.

Thanks for the update, glad to see that a 2nd show is being added. I still hope that it returns to a nightly performance, which is what is needed for such a popular show.

jakeman

I'm not doubting WDWMagic's reputability. The news did not in fact state that the shows were filling to capacity and that people were being turned away.
Isn't that splitting hairs? It's kind of like hearing about a traffic accident on the freeway and getting mad that the news didn't specify if it was horses or cars?

Why else would managers turn folks away?

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the update, glad to see that a 2nd show is being added. I still hope that it returns to a nightly performance, which is what is needed for such a popular show.

Well, if WDW's managers worry about taking attractions down for long refurbs because people complain about it, then they should heed these complaints and return to nightly shows...

I am planning on a trip in October.... How long is the 2 shows a week thing supposed to last? If they are still only showing 2 shows a week when I am there, you can betcha I will be at GS in a heartbeat...

MousDad

This is turning into a real comedy of errors. I can see the decision-makers now, with arms crossed and lower lip stuck out:

"FINE! FINE! GO AHEAD AND SCHEDULE A SECOND NIGHTLY SHOW. BUT WE'RE NOT GOING BACK TO NIGHTLY SHOWINGS. NO WAY. I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS ABOUT IT. OUR DECISIONS WILL NOT BE QUESTIONED!" [pouts]

Here you go, Brains! You'll need this to keep digging that hole deeper:

049206154582md.jpg

drew81

I work in costuming at Fantasmic. The managers told us during our meeting before the show on Monday night that last Thursday's show was filled to capacity & they still had to turn people away. They did not tell us how many people they ended up turning away, so I cant share that with everyone. The benches have been filling up by about 45 minutes before the show starts, Im not sure how long after that standing room fills up.

I got a call this morning from scheduling, letting me know that my schedule for tomorrow night has been changed because a 2nd show of Fantasmic has been added. They didnt say what time the show would be, but based on the time I am now scheduled to work, Im guessing that the first show is still at 7pm, like it was originally scheduled & the 2nd show is at 8:30pm. Im not absolutely sure about the time of the 2nd show, but Im working the same times as other nights when there were two shows at 7 & 8:30.

I heard that the 2nd show for tomorrow night was added then taken back off. Then I heard it was expected to be put back later on today or tomorrow.

Attn Disney Mngt! Fantasmic has many guests that want to see it and you're making them very unhappy with this stupid decision. It's going to bite you.

NewfieFan

I have no way to validate the following information- it is purely rumor that I've heard but I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. I was told that Fantasmic has closed to capacity at least once and at that time they were forced to turn away 50+ people who were on the Fantasmic dining package. Again I have no idea if its true or not but that's the word on the streets of America. :lol:

Wow!:eek: Now that's when I would get mad... what's the point of the F! Package if you STILL can't get a seat!?!

lnsemsf

With all cost cutting measures it can and probably will evolve over time. They've already seen that 2 shows a week is not enough, so now they've added another. It's very possible that you'll see additional days added one at a time until they find a good balance between cost cutting and overcrowding. I agree with the idea of conserving money IF something doesn't need to always be run. Disneyland park doesn't run their Fantasmic every night (well, actually they do now, but that's only because they've completely canceled their fireworks show for the coming months.) I still think that 2 shows a week is far to few, amd the overcrowding tends to see that guests agree with me. They should do a 4 or 5 show a week nightly schedule, and just go dark 2 or 3 days. If it still fills up all those shows then go back to nightly performances, if they are 1/3rd empty then maybe it could handle a show reduction.

PBarton

Just had a quick look at the UK version of the park operating hours page. In April, Fantasmic is scheduled for 8:30 & 10:00 pm every night (at least in the week of 6th-11th April) so maybe things will improve further into 2009..

Still sucks for the guests who are visiting around now... I can't imagine a day at HS without experiencing Fantasmic!

:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom