Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So there's a chance it will not return by Easter?
Assume it won’t and if it does it’ll be a bonus. Right now things are being kept as simple as possible. Fastpass is detrimental to operations efficiency (their words) so I’d be surprised to see any version of it return soon. Standby Pass from Paris has been mooted for attractions with lines that risk not being contained.

TTLUTS

Assume it won’t and if it does it’ll be a bonus. Right now things are being kept as simple as possible. Fastpass is detrimental to operations efficiency (their words) so I’d be surprised to see any version of it return soon. Standby Pass from Paris has been mooted for attractions with lines that risk not being contained.
Do you expect capacity to go alot higher and thus lines to be way longer as spring break/Easter approaches? Will lines get to the 100 minute wait times if Disney increases capacity to 50%?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you expect capacity to go alot higher and thus lines to be way longer as spring break/Easter approaches? Will lines get to the 100 minute wait times if Disney increases capacity to 50%?
They have to go a long way from now to reach 50%. For many reasons I’d personally avoid Easter and spring break. More likely I’d think would be more parks closing due to capacity limitations.

TTLUTS

They have to go a long way from now to reach 50%. For many reasons I’d personally avoid Easter and spring break. More likely I’d think would be more parks closing due to capacity limitations.
That just answered my next (and final) question.........We have a Disney trip booked at bay lake didnt go if there were none of the regular benefits to staying at a resort (extra hours, fast pass, dining plan, fireworks)......We booked a trip to Universal for 4 days for the same week in case Disney did not return their normal offerings and we will just cxl Disney and go to Universal since they have all of those offerings (although my trip goes from 8 days in Disney to 4 days in Universal

Ldno

I love max pass, but i can still see everything without fastpass better, long lines are just scary at first, but they move fast, i love how the ride vehicles are usually down to 2 families per...

TTLUTS

I love max pass, but i can still see everything without fastpass better, long lines are just scary at first, but they move fast, i love how the ride vehicles are usually down to 2 families per...
Long lines are long lines. There's not a single person in the world that would rather wait longer time than less time for a theme park ride. This is why Universals Express Pass is far superior to Disney’s Fast Pass system. Express pass seems to solve all of the problems for Disney and the people that love Fast pass and the people that hate Fast Pass. You still get to skip the lines. But you also get freedom and spontaneity by not having to book 60 days in advance. It satisfies the planners knowing that they can ride what they want, when they want (unlike MaxPass and paper fastpass that sell out early). It also doesn’t take up a ton of standby time like FastPass does right since it’s a paid option and far fewer people will access it vs the current fastpass system, thus keeping the standby lines moving as you (and a lot of other Disney people) mentioned. It also solves Disney’s issue with an additional revenue stream with little to no additional expense (Fast Pass original cost was $2b) since the infer structure is already in place

MurphyJoe

Long lines are long lines. There's not a single person in the world that would rather wait longer time than less time for a theme park ride. This is why Universals Express Pass is far superior to Disney’s Fast Pass system. Express pass seems to solve all of the problems for Disney and the people that love Fast pass and the people that hate Fast Pass. You still get to skip the lines. But you also get freedom and spontaneity by not having to book 60 days in advance. It satisfies the planners knowing that they can ride what they want, when they want (unlike MaxPass and paper fastpass that sell out early). It also doesn’t take up a ton of standby time like FastPass does right since it’s a paid option and far fewer people will access it vs the current fastpass system, thus keeping the standby lines moving as you (and a lot of other Disney people) mentioned. It also solves Disney’s issue with an additional revenue stream with little to no additional expense (Fast Pass original cost was $2b) since the infer structure is already in place

Disney already does something similar in Paris with their Super and Unlimited Fasspass options, but they still offer a traditional, paper Fasspass too. As far as pricing goes, "Prices per person per day range from €36 for low-season/three rides/one-time use to €181 for peak-season/all Fastpass rides/unlimited use." (From: https://www.mousehacking.com/blog/disneyland-paris-fastpass-guide).

I'm still waiting to see how the Genie plays into all of this. It appears from their previously released screenshots that custom upcharge itineraries will be in WDW's future through the app. Might be nothing. Could be something. *shrug*

Ldno

But for example of a long line, the app states 85 minutes but in reality one waits 30 minutes.

I agree Universal Express is king, I can legit cut the line, Fastpass + is given away to everyone, which is not bad per se, but that means that usually people used to book disney trips at their 180-90 day window I forget With their resort ticket, cancel their resort reservation then managed to keep their fastpass, thankfully Disney put a stop to this but at the end of the day I would rather pay an extra 150 usd per ticket to truly cut the line, I can do all the rides in both parks in one day with Universal Express since it’s spontaneous and truly exclusive. I could do the same with MaxPass also since I could book another fastpass ticket after an extended amount of time like the old school fastpass pre 2014. Given that notion in Disneyland it’s possible to book 8 fast passes in one day versus the 3 at which point your 4th is based on how late you managed to get the ticket AND hope there’s any tier availability.

Disneyland has more rides than Magic Kingdom in a smaller park, given that notion the popular rides do sell out first, but everyone has a chance still with max pass versus regular ticket holders

Reading the unofficial guides to disney world and Disneyland was key for me on how to prepare for them, which it’s something that rubbed off on me since time at the parks is money. I’m A theme park goer that likes to maximize each second there by riding as many rides as possible.

I mean the feat is not far off, there was a couple who aimed to be in all of six disney parks in the US in one day LOL.

Curious to see what Genie’s all about also since it’s supposed to help you plan your trip on the go and tell you what ride would be appropriate for you...

I plan my trip to the T down to the bathroom breaks with toddlers, everything is doable.

MouseMelly

Am I the only one who doesn't like Universal's system? I paid double the ticket price and still saw hour long waits on some rides. My biggest complaint is there is no governing system on the amount of people in the queue at one time. I'll never pay that kind of money for it again. I would consider staying in an upper tier resort and give it another shot that way.

Touchdown

Am I the only one who doesn't like Universal's system? I paid double the ticket price and still saw hour long waits on some rides. My biggest complaint is there is no governing system on the amount of people in the queue at one time. I'll never pay that kind of money for it again. I would consider staying in an upper tier resort and give it another shot that way.

You did it wrong, next time stay at the 3 resorts that offer it for free. You get a nice room, water taxi to the parks, and it’s included in the room price.

It is glorious.

MouseMelly

You did it wrong, next time stay at the 3 resorts that offer it for free. You get a nice room, water taxi to the parks, and it’s included in the room price.

It is glorious.
I would certainly consider that route if I attempted again. The time before was a Disney trip with a 1-day/2-Park excursion to USO😆

matt9112

It is glorious.
What about the peasants? However this is by far the way to go. Buying express as an add on however (relevant to this discussion) is not the answer imho. Thats what every theme park on earth does. Six flags etc. Theres a middle ground charging an additional tickets worth of cost isnt it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I’m an AP at both, Universal can be ok, AP’e get the pass after 4 I think, but for example with the outside Harry Potter ride, I waited longer in the fastpass than the regular line moved. When the bulk of people have unlimited FP after a certain time rather than the Disney (one at a time on the app) method, it’s not necessarily faster.

MouseMelly

I’m an AP at both, Universal can be ok, AP’e get the pass after 4 I think, but for example with the outside Harry Potter ride, I waited longer in the fastpass than the regular line moved. When the bulk of people have unlimited FP after a certain time rather than the Disney (one at a time on the app) method, it’s not necessarily faster.
I didn't realize that on APs. Good info.

I honestly love MaxPass. My favorite system of any I've done. Sure it has downsides, but IMHO, the pluses far outweigh them.

CJR

Instead of doing Max Pass, Disney could just do away with the advanced reservation portion of FP+, which would make it pretty much the same. However, such a move couldn't be a spin to make money, which is why we're having this discussion. The only real difference at that point would be Photo Pass, unless I'm forgetting something.

Even now, after you use your three fastpasses, you can get more, which works very similar to Max Pass. The only thing is, the choice is limited due to the better options being occupied by advanced reservations. Take that away and there's not a lot different other than one costs money and the other is free with admission.

That said, DL still offers the old FP, which I believe is extinct in FL. DL would probably see complaints rise if they ever cut legacy FP entirely and tried to force people to pay for Max Pass. It's an interesting thing to look at, IMO, since no way would they haul those machines back out in FL. They do have the kiosks still, but could you imagine the lines? I suppose that's what would happen though.

TTLUTS

For the people that hate FastPass+, my question would be would you rather keep the existing system the way it is or would you rather have to pay for FP+? From what I have read on these forums, most locals/AP holders hate FP+ because it extends the wait time in the standby lines. So I guess the sacrifice seems to be (with Disney rumored to be changing to a paid system) that you will now have to pay for FP vs getting 3 and waiting standby for the other rides. Was that what FP+ haters wanted? Be careful what you wish for (but I think it’s too late)

TTLUTS

Instead of doing Max Pass, Disney could just do away with the advanced reservation portion of FP+, which would make it pretty much the same. However, such a move couldn't be a spin to make money, which is why we're having this discussion. The only real difference at that point would be Photo Pass, unless I'm forgetting something.

Even now, after you use your three fastpasses, you can get more, which works very similar to Max Pass. The only thing is, the choice is limited due to the better options being occupied by advanced reservations. Take that away and there's not a lot different other than one costs money and the other is free with admission.

That said, DL still offers the old FP, which I believe is extinct in FL. DL would probably see complaints rise if they ever cut legacy FP entirely and tried to force people to pay for Max Pass. It's an interesting thing to look at, IMO, since no way would they haul those machines back out in FL. They do have the kiosks still, but could you imagine the lines? I suppose that's what would happen though.
Disney cannot get rid of advanced reservations because of the hotels. There are over 36,000 hotel rooms in WDW vs 2500 in DL. DL doesn’t have that same issue since it’s more of a locals park vs WDW being more of a tourist park. People won’t be willing to spend $800 per night at the grand Floridian if they can’t get on the rides they want. Not everyone rope drops and nor could they.

TTLUTS

Disney cannot get rid of advanced reservations because of the hotels. There are over 36,000 hotel rooms there. DL doesn’t have that same issue since it’s more of a locals park vs WDW being more of a tourist park. People won’t be willing to spend $800 per night at the grand Floridian if they can’t get on the rides they want. Not everyone rope drops.
I am a Universal person and it is 100x better than Disney’s. But my guess is Disney’s new system will look very similar to express pass.

CJR

People won’t be willing to spend $800 per night at the grand Floridian if they can’t get on the rides they want. Not everyone rope drops and nor could they.

Are you speaking for other guests, as everyone who stays on site feels that way? Did you know one of the top complaints among resort guests is the planning that FP+ requires?

There are many resort guests who hate the advanced reservations and miss being able to enjoy the day as it plays out. This is especially true when a ride breaks down or the weather's bad all day.

The truth is that AP's heading to the parks after work benefit from advanced reservations more than anyone else. They'll show up just after 6pm, use their three reservations, that resort guests could have had, and then leave. No need to buy dinner in the parks either.

It's also worth pointing out that resort guests did stay on site without advanced reservations until about a decade ago. I don’t believe that massive amounts of guests would cancel their trips over a change in benefits. A change that actually benefits most of them more too.

DisneyCane

Are you speaking for other guests, as everyone who stays on site feels that way? Did you know one of the top complaints among resort guests is the planning that FP+ requires?

There are many resort guests who hate the advanced reservations and miss being able to enjoy the day as it plays out. This is especially true when a ride breaks down or the weather's bad all day.

The truth is that AP's heading to the parks after work benefit from advanced reservations more than anyone else. They'll show up just after 6pm, use their three reservations, that resort guests could have had, and then leave. No need to buy dinner in the parks either.

It's also worth pointing out that resort guests did stay on site without advanced reservations until about a decade ago. I don’t believe that massive amounts of guests would cancel their trips over a change in benefits. A change that actually benefits most of them more too.

Also, the resort guest benefit thing could be done with different rules for a maxpass-like system. For instance, you could limit off site guests to 5 FPs per day but allow on site guests 7 or something like that. They could still have a benefit without the ridiculous advanced planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom