Upcoming/Rumored Projects

Clyde

It's not going to flop. And Disney will be riding on the success of the sequels.

I'm more concerned about the Star Wars sequels. To film in 2014 and be released in 2015 isn't a lot of time and they will have to rush it along to make the deadline. Without George Lucas at the helm, it's no longer his vision but a cash cow for the studio. I'm sure it'll still be good, but I'm not so sure how good it will be.

I hear ya but the difference is that Star wars is already a franchise with 6 very successful movies ( 3 of them beloved), an animated movie and a TV series. It has also been a mainstay in toy aisles for about 35 years or so.

Biiiiiiiiig difference from one decent movie and talk of a few more. To say that it's not going to flop is a pretty bold statement when it's already been 5 years since the original movie.

Listen, I would love for it to be an epic franchise, and I think Pandora will be pretty cool, but I have to be honest and say that i would much rather see a star wars land, cars land, monsters inc land, toy story land, Tangled land, nursery rhyme land, and many other Disney based themes than Avatar land ( pandora). I also don't feel the need to defend it just because it's what Disney is choosing to do.

Let's just both hope it's great and that the movies are worth watching.

Clyde

But will still gets tons of guests because it'll be an awesome theme park immersive environment. I wasn't a big fan of the first movie, but found it visually stunning. I will have fun visiting Pandora and checking out the attractions whether there are 3 movies or 30, and regardless of how they fare at the box office. After watching the video with Cameron and Rohde, I'm super excited to check this out! (As I've said before, nobody in our family liked the HP movie(s) at all-not in the least- but we find the WWoHP and attractions great. To me, the IP is secondary to the quality.)

I'm also excited don't get me wrong, but what I will say is that while it will most likely be pretty cool when the Avatar project is completed, I enjoy lands much more when the theme is something I'm in to, or even has a nostalgic quality. With it being 5 years since the original movie, and with the original being a good but not really all that great movie in the first place, I wonder how much it will really add to WDW when they could have maximized an already beloved property like monsters Inc or Tangled etc.

Think of how great WWoHP would be if you were actually into the flicks.

Kman101

Great argument .....

And people would FLOCK to any well themed land in any theme park. We can argue till the cows come home. And if it's Disney, it's proven that no matter what, people will go. And now Universal is proving that as well. Hate it all you want but if you think it wouldn't make an impact, you ARE wrong.

I mean, at first thought, CARS LAND? But people FLOCKED to it because it's well themed, immersive, and has an impressive E-ticket attraction.

Same with Avatar. A lot may hate it, but there are millions who don't. I guarantee it will be popular regardless of whether many here dislike it. It's just how it is. People aren't going to stay away or question "why" .... they will say "Oh wow, look what Disney built!" "Oh wow! Look what Universal built!"

The Hobbit itself has been around for so long. I'm tired of the argument that a land or attraction won't work because someone just doesn't like it. That's not a valid argument.

Kman101

And people's arguments that "it doesn't hold the same nostalgia factor ... it won't last 5 years from now ..." nah. A theme park land can exist and become popular all on it's own if done right.

We're STILL talking about Lord of the Ring. End of story.

Last edited:

Kman101

Star Tours doesn't figure into it. They need a grand E ticket. Something new. It's coming, but no one knows exactly what. As of now I know of somewhere to eat, somewhere to shop, and a better placed academy. And none of these are where Indy is.

Of course they have all the money-grabbing options planned. SHOCKER. lol. Thanks Martin.

Glad to hear the plans are going forward.

PeterAlt

I hear ya but the difference is that Star wars is already a franchise with 6 very successful movies ( 3 of them beloved), an animated movie and a TV series. It has also been a mainstay in toy aisles for about 35 years or so.

Biiiiiiiiig difference from one decent movie and talk of a few more. To say that it's not going to flop is a pretty bold statement when it's already been 5 years since the original movie.

Listen, I would love for it to be an epic franchise, and I think Pandora will be pretty cool, but I have to be honest and say that i would much rather see a star wars land, cars land, monsters inc land, toy story land, Tangled land, nursery rhyme land, and many other Disney based themes than Avatar land ( pandora). I also don't feel the need to defend it just because it's what Disney is choosing to do.

Let's just both hope it's great and that the movies are worth watching.
I agree fully with that last statement.

What I was trying to say is that the Avatar sequels and Avatar Land will be a big success because King Midas (James Cameron) has touched it. If Cameron just put his name on it and wasn't directly involved, I would share your concern.

I don't think Avatar will be a franchise like Star Wars is. Avatar will make its money directly from people seeing the films and by people going to the theme park attractions, not by selling blue action figures.

Kman101

We can't presume to know what will be a franchise or not. It's all about personal taste and I think too many of us (myself INCLUDED) tend to think that way. We're a REALLY small percentage.

Just Google 'Avatar Land' and there are MANY sites not even Disney related that post about it.

I'm not saying it will ever be this huge "franchise" (and I have admitted before I haven't seen the movie and really am not the most compelled to. I had a friend who just loved it), but I'm just not understanding why some are dismissing it (because it's not what THEY want or what they think Disney SHOULD do). Listen, I WANT many things at Disney but unfortunately, it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of even if the movie existed or not, if James Cameron and Disney partnered for the land of Pandora all on it's own it could become a hit and probably will be a hit regardless of the movies. And it will probably help the movies. It also doesn't mean it's "good" so I get that. Maybe I should finally watch the movie, LOL. But it's sooo long.

I just don't understand why people can't try and be open to the idea and recognize that Disney could turn it into something that FITS Disney and makes sense? Listen, I'm somewhat down on them and Avatar is FARRRRRR from my first choice, but I think it's being dismissed for all of the wrong reasons.

And frankly, I think the money could have been spent on other things, but I'm not dismissing it because I feel that way. But that's me, please don't take this as trying to tell anyone how to think. I'm not :) I just try to provide a very unbiased opinion and look at each side. Just how I am, LOL. And I way overanalyze things .......

PeterAlt

We can't presume to know what will be a franchise or not. It's all about personal taste and I think too many of us (myself INCLUDED) tend to think that way. We're a REALLY small percentage.

Just Google 'Avatar Land' and there are MANY sites not even Disney related that post about it.

I'm not saying it will ever be this huge "franchise" (and I have admitted before I haven't seen the movie and really am not the most compelled to. I had a friend who just loved it), but I'm just not understanding why some are dismissing it (because it's not what THEY want or what they think Disney SHOULD do). Listen, I WANT many things at Disney but unfortunately, it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of even if the movie existed or not, if James Cameron and Disney partnered for the land of Pandora all on it's own it could become a hit and probably will be a hit regardless of the movies. And it will probably help the movies. It also doesn't mean it's "good" so I get that. Maybe I should finally watch the movie, LOL. But it's sooo long.

I just don't understand why people can't try and be open to the idea and recognize that Disney could turn it into something that FITS Disney and makes sense? Listen, I'm somewhat down on them and Avatar is FARRRRRR from my first choice, but I think it's being dismissed for all of the wrong reasons.

And frankly, I think the money could have been spent on other things, but I'm not dismissing it because I feel that way. But that's me, please don't take this as trying to tell anyone how to think. I'm not :) I just try to provide a very unbiased opinion and look at each side. Just how I am, LOL. And I way overanalyze things .......
Here's the deal. I'm not a big fan of Bob Iger, but I think he is a shroud business person. He knows to follow the money. That said, every project James Cameron has gotten personally involved with made tons of money for the studio that contracted for it. There is no exception to this rule. And we're not talking some money, enough money, or good money. We're talking obscene amounts of ridiculous money. And each project just doubles in the amount of money coming in, compared to the one before.

That's why Iger signed up for it. It is, however, sad that Iger couldn't find that kind of talent within his own company. His track record has been to go out and buy talent (Pixar, LucasFilm, Marvel, LightStorm) instead of incubating it from under his own roof.

RSoxNo1

Star Tours doesn't figure into it. They need a grand E ticket. Something new. It's coming, but no one knows exactly what. As of now I know of somewhere to eat, somewhere to shop, and a better placed academy. And none of these are where Indy is.
Considering what they have planned for Gringotts, decisions need to be made a lot quicker than they have been. Universal will open 3-5 more rides before a new Star Wars attraction opens. In case anyone missed it, here's a video of the reported track layout of Gringott's that includes 3 pretty cool track switches (he says recognizing the nerdiness of that statement).

Bairstow

Considering what they have planned for Gringotts, decisions need to be made a lot quicker than they have been. Universal will open 3-5 more rides before a new Star Wars attraction opens. In case anyone missed it, here's a video of the reported track layout of Gringott's that includes 3 pretty cool track switches (he says recognizing the nerdiness of that statement).

Very Interesting, but that's not an actual ride layout, is it? I could see a park building an attraction with one of those switch elements but certainly not 3. With so many disparate and critical systems that would have to work it would be an operational nightmare.

On the other hand, I'd heard several months ago that Gringotts was going to have a drop element, and this video shows one and the spoken-of teeter-totter.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

This is not Gringotts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Many of the track switch components parallel what Robert Niles mentioned in his article on 12/31/11. Is this remotely close to it?
The tilt section is slightly similar -as posted elsewhere- in that a section of track tilts. Aside from that its a company looking for a client and as close to Gringotts as small world is.

HakunaMatata89

the Avatar sequels will be a big success

116usjk.gif

the land maybe, but they do not need any more AVATAR movies.

Cesar R M

honestly, what kind of plot would you be expecting an avatar sequel to have that would draw big crowds?

space men come back to take over again, are defeated and go home a second time? oh yeah ill be first in line.

pretty sure they will go the STAR WARS style..
first good guys win.. second.. bad guys win and good guys barely scape..
third will be good guys having a final landslide victory.

Also, most males will go to anything that has big action, explosions and gorgeous ladies..
the fine examples are ALL MICHAEL BAY MOVIES.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom