Upcoming/Rumored Projects

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
On this week's episode of the Magical Definition Podcast, Jim Hill gave out several pieces of useful information about the Marvel characters.

First and foremost, he explained that every Marvel entity used at Islands of Adventure has a separate contract. This means that The Hulk has a separate contract for use of the name for the ride, images in the queue, as well as the walk around character.

This is important in the event that something falls into disrepair, they can terminate a contract but not all of them. Apparently, Disney was considering hiring someone whose job it would be to go over to Islands of Adventure every day, and keep track of how the characters are being used - whether all the effects were working on the attractions, how the merchandise is positioned in the shops, etc. Apparently they have backed off of this, but will still probably send over someone on a monthly basis (if not more often).

He continued with something that many on here were already aware of - the use of Marvel in Shanghai. Because they want to have new attractions in Shanghai Disneyland from the start, Imagineers have been designing attractions for a Marvel land for Shanghai Disneyland instead of Tomorrowland. Jim Hill admitted that he didn't know what the contracts for the Osaka, Japan Universal Studios usage of the Marvel Characters meant from an exclusivity stand point, but it would be assumed that if they were developing a whole Marvel land that they would have the rights to the major characters.

Having said that, he also admitted that it is entirely possible that this land could exist without the likes of Spiderman, The Hulk, Storm, etc. Evidently, Disney has latched onto Ant Man - who according to a classic SNL superheros sketch has the awesome power of, "Strength of an Ant".

Finally, he explained that Disney's reaction to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter wasn't going to be just Fantasyland Forest, but rather a Marvel attraction that would use the characters they still had the rights to use in Central Florida. He also mentioned that this is one of the E-Tickets being considered for Disneyland. He had no real details on the nature of this attraction, or even what park would house it. I'll consider this blue sky at this point, and based on logic would assume Hollywood Studios as the likeliest destination.

Great stuff. Thanks for the update. :sohappy:

IWant2GoNow

Can we make a new "possible ideas" category and call this one a "Blue Hill" idea? Which would be a little less likely than a Blue Sky idea. :shrug:

*Runs and hides from Hill supporters* :lookaroun:lol:

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Can we make a new "possible ideas" category and call this one a "Blue Hill" idea? Which would be a little less likely than a Blue Sky idea. :shrug:

*Runs and hides from Hill supporters* :lookaroun:lol:

Jim Hill certainly has his detractors, but he is definitely connected. I don't doubt that his information about rumored projects is valid. The issue I think is that often times it's difficult to determine how far along in development/approval these rumors actually are.

FigmentJedi

Having said that, he also admitted that it is entirely possible that this land could exist without the likes of Spiderman, The Hulk, Storm, etc. Evidently, Disney has latched onto Ant Man - who according to a classic SNL superheros sketch has the awesome power of, "Strength of an Ant".
No, Ant-Man's your basic size changer, one of the more prominent Science heroes of Marvel after Mr Fantastic and Iron Man, and rather infamously, an occasional wife-beater.

KevinFlynn

An Ant-man attraction? Yea...don't see it happening. Unless they can somehow get Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor away from Uni, don't hold your breath for a Marvel attraction.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
A significant amount of updates on page 1 regarding Toy Story, Captain EO, Monorail Maroon, land clearing near the TTC, movement of the Winnie the Pooh tree

I expect a few more things to change by this weekend, but right now I don't have any information.

huntzilla

A significant amount of updates on page 1 regarding Toy Story, Captain EO, Monorail Maroon, land clearing near the TTC, movement of the Winnie the Pooh tree

I expect a few more things to change by this weekend, but right now I don't have any information.

What do you mean by a few more things coming by this weekend? As in some WDW news coming out?

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I'm not expecting any new announcements, but I expect to be able to clarify some of the rumors I have posted on the main page. I'll post details on Sunday, but it pertains to the guest on our podcast this week.

Edit: Also included the Haunted Mansion Next-Gen queue testing on the front page.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
On this week’s episode of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast, we spoke with Jim Hill about some Disney Rumors. On the show he touches upon a few things that should excite and a few things that should disappoint

Fantasyland Forest/Pixie Hollow – At this point, it doesn’t appear that anything is set in stone for Pixie Hollow, and like many Phase 2 plans it may not happen.

Captain EO – Is an open ended engagement, it’s popularity will dictate how long it will stay. Nothing appears to be imminent with regards to an Imagination Pavilion overhaul

Soarin Over the World – It was Jim’s understanding that some footage is already in the hopper, but he also discussed another concept that would combine Soarin’ and PhilharMagic, but presumably not for Epcot.

Star Tours 2.0 – Could be disappointing. The in cabin effects as well as multiple destinations may have gotten the axe.

Monster’s Inc Coaster – Substantial Prep Work has been done, with labels for track placement marked off inside the soundstage. It was delayed largely because of the economy, and will likely be the next substantial attraction announced.

Animal Kingdom – While nothing is really imminent, the VP wants to drain the water between the two Asia Bridges for a World of Color type show. At this point, this idea seems to be more Blue Sky than anything.

I encourage all of you to listen because there is quite a bit more in the way of interesting information on this episode, including an unrealized Star Tour concept for Disneyland as well as some of the reasons behind the original change behind Journey into Imagination

plutoismyhero

What is goin on with the Muppet Mobile Lab and Electric Mayhem Band Living Character Initiative appearances. When will they be appearing and is Electric mayhem up and running. Just curious because i have been waiting for both for a while now.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
What is goin on with the Muppet Mobile Lab and Electric Mayhem Band Living Character Initiative appearances. When will they be appearing and is Electric mayhem up and running. Just curious because i have been waiting for both for a while now.

I have not heard anything more about this since the D23 Expo last September. I'm hoping we see some of this stuff start to crop up when they re-open the show, but without any announcements it's pretty much speculation at this point.

It's also possible that things with the Muppets have changed. While "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" is no longer the title, there is still a movie in the works being written by Jason Segal called "The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made".

Do you know when the Monsters Inc coaster will be done?

Again, it's speculation at this point, but assuming it happens it sounds like 2013 is a realistic time frame.

Krack

I have no idea if this was mentioned somewhere in these 50 pages, but can I make a general suggestion to use some other color than the lime green. I find it very difficult to read.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom