'Up' characters at Disney's Hollywood Studios

carib2150

Original Poster
from the Orlando Sentinal:

Full disclosure: I got choked up during Up, the latest Disney-Pixar animated film, which has done more than $187 million in box office thus far. Going in, I knew there were emotional spots, but I wasn't expecting them so early. Sneaky!

Thankfully, No tears were shed during my recent visit to see the Up characters at Disney's Hollywood Studios. They are stationed daily in the Magic of Disney Animation building, I saw only Carl (the aging homeowner voiced by Ed Asner) and Dug (the squirrel-oriented dog), but a cast member assured me that young Russell also makes appearances. Kevin the bird is built into the backdrop, which increases the value of the photo opportunity. (The Up folks are stationed where the Bolt characters used to be.)

Carl's costuming is excellent, detailed down to the hearing aid, wedding ring and soda cap medal. Dug is playful, does the doggie hands bit and "licks" kids.

My only disappointment: Dug can't talk. Wouldn't it be cool if you pushed a button on his collar and he said "Squirrel!" like in the movie? If Mickey can blink, a boy can dream.

I'm a big fan of the character area in the animation building if for no other reason than "air-conditioned comfort." I also think the lines are shorter back there and a wide array of characters. Last week with the Up crew were Chip, Dale, a couple of Incredibles, an evil Queen, Peter Pan, a Sorcerer Mickey and more. To me, it beats the Character Spot at Epcot, but your results may vary.

ELSEWHERE AT DHS: A kids area has opened in the Sunset Boulevard neighborhood, near the exit of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

WDWFREAK53

I saw them around the middle of May.

Kevin (the bird) also switches from side to side. He hides and Dug runs and tries to see where he went. Very cute.

maggiegrace1

I saw them around the middle of May.

Kevin (the bird) also switches from side to side. He hides and Dug runs and tries to see where he went. Very cute.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:
I so want to see Kevin!

I am scared to death of birds..and I know she is not real..well she could be..:lookaroun..but I fell in love with her in the movie...and so want to see her..I may have to run to the Studios next week just to see her..:D

RnRJoe6114

The characters look pretty nifty.

The kid area at RnR should hopefully keep mothers and young'ns from crowding up the exit and gift shop...I guess we'll see...

BigB911

Finally saw UP today!:sohappy: I liked it alot, but haven't decided where to put it in line of my fav Pixar movies. Incredibles is #1, Cars #2. I'd put UP tied at #3 with Nemo.

I hope they are still there in Sept. I really would like to meet Carl, Dug, and Russell.

bobjl527

Haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I have heard I am going to love Dug the dog. I am a huge dog lover and the way he talks reminds me so much of how my spaniel would talk if he could. The only exception is that it wouldn't be squirels, but bunnies he would be obsessed with. I hope they are still around come October. Hope they don't mind a 38 year old kid giving a character a big hug. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom