News UP! A Great Bird Adventure Getting A Rewrite

Polydweller

We just saw the show this last week - awful. Very disappointing. I feel very sorry for the performers.
Pretty much our response. The performers have been given little to work with. The Indian performer tries hard but her part seems to add very little. The Up characters were totally extraneous and to us actually detracted from the show. Very little humour, slow pacing and bird acts that were not very interesting nor informative. Agree, awful is a good word for it. If one hasn’t seen it, watch a YouTube video, that’s also a bit painful, and avoid it at the parks. You park time can be spent much better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Site that shall not be named reporting that the new version of the show has debuted today. Any feedback?

They have a video of the new show on their YouTube channel.

It's certainly a better script. They stopped making the background of the narrator a big deal and brought in the birds from the start.

If you don't care for the UP! characters, it will drag every time they're on stage. If you like them, it should be a great show.

MaximumEd

Just watched a video. I'm good with this version. Not perfect but far better. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this version in person. It's no less awkward than Joe was at times. It's a step in the right direction. It at least feels like they tried this time. YMMV of course.

I disagree with you and would like to propose a 3 page argument to hash out why your opinion is wrong. 😂

geekza

One of the benefits of a show like this compared to an attraction is that the script and content can be changed pretty quickly when it isn't working. It sounds like Disney got the message that people weren't happy with the initial version of the Up show and got to work on improving it. That's good.

Rteetz

They have a video of the new show on their YouTube channel.

It's certainly a better script. They stopped making the background of the narrator a big deal and brought in the birds from the start.

If you don't care for the UP! characters, it will drag every time they're on stage. If you like them, it should be a great show.
I don’t mind the characters but they just feel forced in the beginning.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I don’t mind the characters but they just feel forced in the beginning.

Good improvement! I still say they could better ease us into the IP by having a short 3-5min video intro of Dug and Russell, pre-show. Although an outro "Our Adventure Photos" finale video montage would be nice too.

Based on the utube vid; still think it needs more audience participation and interactivity.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Yeah it's a little awkward but so was Joe stumbling on stage all shocked to see everyone. It's just Russell and Dug now. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. It's better.
The updated show is still awful. It's still remarkably disjointed and combines three dissimilar components (Rivers of Light-esque narrative, The bird show and Up). The previous show had components that complimented each other. Some people felt Guano Joe was a bit much but he interacted with the animal guides and as a live performer had comedic timing that simply can't work with a character like Russell or Dug.

The entire concept of the new show is a mistake. The previous version was a hidden gem.

MickeyMinnieMom

This show in Aug was probably the worst thing we have ever seen in WDW -- ever. Host is horrifically bad, characters running in and out, conspicuous lack of birds in a bird show... a total train wreck.

I watched the re-write online. Eesh. They need to get rid of that host altogether (she is the worst part, IMO), and the characters are still just a distraction.

Our whole family always loved this show. We definitely won't be back as long as this is what they're running. It needs to be scrapped altogether, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom