Unusual Disney Fact

Krimedog

A lot of people have been watching the travel channel disney shows, i can tell.

Facts-
the Magic kingdom has four steam engine locomotives. One has the name of the locomotive Walk had in his backyard, The Lilly Belle (the name of his wife) the other three are named : Roy O. Disney, Walter E. Disney, and Roger E. Broggie. Each one of these steam engines was built around the 1920's (one built in 1928, the same age as the mouse) and were then used in mexico to haul freight and passengers in the Yucatan.

The ferryboats which take you across from the TTC also have names. They are the names of the two who oversaw the MK construction, and also happened to be high ranks in the military. The ferryboats are named after Navy Admiral Joe Fowler and Army General Joe Potter

In the utilidors (the first floor to the MK) they use a special swedish vacuum system to get rid of trash. I cant remember hte name of it

As you enter MK, you are really 14 feet above ground level

the White sand on all of the resort beaches was found at the bottom of the muk and grime when they were digging out bay lake.

there are over 200 plus mickey costumes ( i could be wrong on this one, but i think it is right)

An oil rig serves as the base of the tree of life

Cinderellas Castle has 18 spires, and 3 are actually made of solid gold

Monorail drivers go to a drive school to. Guess how long, the same as us american drivers do, one week

in 1988 mickeys birthland opened, then it changed to mickeys starland, and now its mickeys toontown fair.

The parks never use their loudspeaker systems for lost children or missing items because they do not want to disturb the magic. what do they use it for, when someone is seriously injured and or a death occurs.

WDWFigment

Some really interesting facts in this thread, although some seem more along the lines of urban legends, or are no longer true. I'm pretty sure the weasel doesn't shout FSU anymore on Splash Mountain; maybe checking snopes.com's disney section should be a prerequisite for posting here.

Thanks for the interesting reads and legwork, guys!

MonkeyHeadCup

Interesting Fun Fact about the Mickey "Dove" bar (in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head),

Despite the shape and labeling, it does not contain any actual Dove or Dove flavoring, nor does it contain any actual Mouse or Mouse flavor. It's actually made entirely from Vanila Ice Cream, Chocolate and Wood (including the stick) - an of course a little dash of 100% Pure Disney Magic... :)

jiminy.cricket

Interesting Fun Fact about the Mickey "Dove" bar (in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head),

Despite the shape and labeling, it does not contain any actual Dove or Dove flavoring, nor does it contain any actual Mouse or Mouse flavor. It's actually made entirely from Vanila Ice Cream, Chocolate and Wood (including the stick) - an of course a little dash of 100% Pure Disney Magic... :)

:eek: I learn something new every day.

bassman

couple from me.

blizzard beach was inspired by a snow globe that an imagineer had in his office.

and also the haunted mansion was never intended to be ride thru,but rather a walk thru attraction

Figment82

Some really interesting facts in this thread, although some seem more along the lines of urban legends, or are no longer true. I'm pretty sure the weasel doesn't shout FSU anymore on Splash Mountain; maybe checking snopes.com's disney section should be a prerequisite for posting here.

The weasel still says FSU - I heard him just a week ago. He's one of my favorite parts of the ride (along with the hidden Mickey in that same scene).

LoriMistress

Tomorrowland was originally designed to portray Disney's view of the future. Unfortunately, a land about the future is one that needs constant updating, so Disney decided that instead of trying to keep the land with a constantly-changing, current view of the future, they decided to take a look into the past first. Disney looked to the classic science fiction writers and films of the 1920's and 1930's such as Jules Verne, and "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" for their view of the future. Heralded as "The Future that Never Was," the "New" Tomorrowland opened in 1994 with updated attractions, as well as a new look to the entire land. Gone were the stark white pillars and cold architecture. In its place were colorful, futuristic "retro" icons adorned with metal, neon and glass.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I give up. Why is there a brown stream in the middle of Liberty Square? Does it have something to do with the Mississippi River?

Scott

As was suggested in the two posts following yours, in colonial america, sewage was dumped into the middle of the street for water to wash it away. That is what the darker areas in the middle of the paths reference.

Also as there were no bathrooms in colonial America, there are no bathrooms in Liberty Square (the Liberty Tree Tavern bathroom is technically in Frontierland and the Columbia Harbor House is technically in Fantasyland).

Some of the dormers on the ordinary houses are held on by leather, and therefore sag. The rich homes (like Hall of Presidents) have metal hinges. The reason was that metal from all sources (like hinges) was melted down for ammunition. Only the rich managed do avoid this "sacrifice"

dazzle_em55

The sections of the MK parking lot are named after 6 of the Seven Dwarfs. They didn't use Doc so tat people wouldn't get it confused with the boat dock.

WDWRLD

Also as there were no bathrooms in colonial America, there are no bathrooms in Liberty Square (the Liberty Tree Tavern bathroom is technically in Frontierland and the Columbia Harbor House is technically in Fantasyland).

How is the Bathroom in LTT in Frontierland. It is a good way from the "Missisippi River" that flows into ROA and seperates LS and FL.

And on that note...The real Miss river flows south but in Disney it flows north into ROA.

FloridaJoshua

A Net Full of Jello

At MGM, before you enter the theater for Muppet Vision 3D, look up at the props hanging from the ceiling. One of them is a net full of jello, a subtle tribute to Annette Funicello, one of the original Mouseketeers.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
How is the Bathroom in LTT in Frontierland. It is a good way from the "Missisippi River" that flows into ROA and seperates LS and FL.

And on that note...The real Miss river flows south but in Disney it flows north into ROA.

Easy, it is in the back right corner which is behind the Frontierland facade.

LoriMistress

In AK, the Africa section the village of Harambe is based on the ancient Kenyan island town of Lamu. According to Disney "legend", this town was once a hub for gold and ivory trade, and is now a tourist village. I agineers worked hard to tell the story of this small village that has grown and changed over the years. In fact, Disney brought over 13 Zulu craftsman from Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa, to create the thatched roofs throughout Africa including the Harambe Village Marketplace. They also looked to capture the flavor of this coastal town by creating narrow, winding streets, importing native artifacts, and even creating cracks in the sidewalks create a town that looks weathered by time.

cb3k

Original Poster
Easy, it is in the back right corner which is behind the Frontierland facade.
This sounds plausible, but I wonder if this were the true intended purpose (the street color and no bathrooms) when the initial layout of Liberty Square was conceived.

Champion

This sounds plausible, but I wonder if this were the true intended purpose (the street color and no bathrooms) when the initial layout of Liberty Square was conceived.

The street color was done intentionally.

Not sure about the bathroom placement.

trendicoff

The street color was done intentionally.

Not sure about the bathroom placement.

I was told by guest relations that the bathroom placement was also intentional.

Also, the Zulu workers brought in to do the thatchwork in Harambe were told to work as realistically as possible so they worked without shoes as they do in Africa apparently. This caused quite a legal issue for Disney as it is against construction codes. In the end, as is their way, DIsney managed to work a little legal magic so that the workers could work as they pleased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom