Unusual Disney Fact

henryt93

• The length of the track in The Great Movie Ride is 1,928', as in the year Mickey was introduced
  • Costumes are stored inside the EARful Tower
  • The show curtain for the American Adventure could not be wrinkled, so a fly loft had to be built above the attraction. It was painted a tan-brown, and thus looks like a different building
  • The island with the flamingoes in Killamanjaro Safaris is a hidden Mickey
  • The Eiffel Tower at the France pavillion is actually sitting on the roof of a building
  • The Haunted Mansion is the only attraction to appear in a different land at every Magic Kingdom around the world

Captain Hank

• The length of the track in The Great Movie Ride is 1,928', as in the year Mickey was introduced
  • Costumes are stored inside the EARful Tower
  • The show curtain for the American Adventure could not be wrinkled, so a fly loft had to be built above the attraction. It was painted a tan-brown, and thus looks like a different building
  • The island with the flamingoes in Killamanjaro Safaris is a hidden Mickey
  • The Eiffel Tower at the France pavillion is actually sitting on the roof of a building
  • The Haunted Mansion is the only attraction to appear in a different land at every Magic Kingdom around the world
A few more Great Movie Ride facts:
  • Originally, the ride path through Munchkinland was painted to look like the Yellow Brick Road. However, the vehicles wore the paint away too quickly. All that remains of it now is a small sliver of gold brick paint at the very edge of the Fantasia scene.
  • James Cagney's tuxedo was actually owned and worn by the actor
  • Several real props from the Alien films are in the GMR, including a baby alien skin and a set of windchimes, which are on the right as you enter the corridoor.
  • One of the bandits outside of the bank in the Western scene is wearing a lady's hat, complete with a bow (not visible from the ride vehicle).
  • The plane in the Casablanca scene is not the same one as in the movie.

henryt93

• Originally, the ride path through Munchkinland was painted to look like the Yellow Brick Road. However, the vehicles wore the paint away too quickly. All that remains of it now is a small sliver of gold brick paint at the very edge of the Fantasia scene.

Also, the Fantasia scene was originally supposed to be the tornado, but there was some sort of problems (I think it had something to do with the effect being copyrighted and Disney not wanting to pay royalties), so it was changed to Fantasia. That is why the Munchinland scene starts with the Dorothy's house on top of the witch.

fosse76

the american flags above the buildings on main street have been slightly altered. So, being that thay are not TRUE American flags, they don't have to be lowered every night.

EDIT
Before you flame me on this one, please read the rest of the thread. Many posts will confirm this fact. And yes, it is known that a lighted flag doesn't have to be taken down at night.

Technically speaking, they don't have to lower unlit flags either. While there is a federal law that regulates the usage and display of the U.S. flag, violations are unenforceable because they are contrary to the first amendment (and that is an actual Supreme Court decision). So Disney could put real flags anywhere and leave them out all night if they want.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hot dogs served at disney use the meat from the bull male appendage, and beaks and spinal columns of the turkeys post leg removal. The used to use pigs but it was too curly to make a foot long from.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hot dogs served at disney use the meat from the bull male appendage, and beaks and spinal columns of the turkeys post leg removal. The used to use pigs but it was too curly to make a foot long from.

I thought that's what Vienna Sausages were made from?

henryt93

Technically speaking, they don't have to lower unlit flags either. While there is a federal law that regulates the usage and display of the U.S. flag, violations are unenforceable because they are contrary to the first amendment (and that is an actual Supreme Court decision). So Disney could put real flags anywhere and leave them out all night if they want.

But I doubt they ever would. Walt Disney being the biggest patriot I have ever heard of, and all.

Gorjus

Wow! Some of these are fact, some are just plain Hooey.

Because the Tower of Terror can be seen from certain parts of Epcot in the vicinity of Morocco, it was styled in a similar architecture and painted in a similar color in order to blend in and appear apart of the pavilion.

Scott

I have a photo of this if I can ever get this virus out of my computer.

When you're in the Magic Kingdom, you're actually on the 17th floor.

Oh, silly goose, it only feels like it when you are climbing from the tunnel to the main floor of the castle.

And a couple more ...

1. The Pluto character in the MK is often portrayed by an actual dog. Obviously, it's not just any old dog under the suit, but rather a dog highly trained in pretending to be a cartoon dog.

Pluto: Now that is hilarious. We have taught a dog to sign his name.

This is kind of a 2 for 1 deal.

The reason Main Street USA is on an incline is to
1) make Cinderellas Castle seem bigger
2) and at the end of the day when you are really tired from a long day at the park, it is a lot easier to walk down a hill to exit the park.

*wink* yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that starting at the Emporium and the Confectionary, there is an entire other floor below the stores.

MK's Fantasyland, in its entirety, can fit inside of the land pavilion at EPCOT.

Good Grief, Fantasyland is huge and even with the addition of Soarin', there is just no way.

Hey, I stumbled on a few more unusual Disney facts, and I thought I'd pass them along:

2. The NFL was the first sports organization to ban Pixie Dust back in 1972. The NBA, NHL, NCAA, and IOC quickly followed suit.

3. Walt got the idea for Pirates of the Caribbean on his honeymoon. He took a week-long Caribbean cruise with his new bride, but three days into it, the cruise ship was boarded by a band of pirates. The pirates killed several of the crew and began stealing the valuables on board. However, they recognized Walt immediately and refused to take any of his possessions out of respect. Walt returned their kindness by later hiring the pirates to pose for the Imagineers as they crafted the AAs in PotC that we enjoy today. :)

OK, officially an urban legend website.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Good Grief, Fantasyland is huge and even with the addition of Soarin', there is just no way.

Although I was skeptical of this myself, I just did some google mapping...these 2 images are exactly the same zoom level:

landvsfantasy.jpg

Captain Hank

*wink* yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that starting at the Emporium and the Confectionary, there is an entire other floor below the stores.
It also has to do with drainage. There are well camouflaged drainage grates in town square, and the angle of the street helps direct the water towards these--otherwise, all of Main Street would be one giant puddle.

Actually, this is true, and is an "official" Disney fact (it was printed on an Epcot Tell-A-Cast once). The photo in the above post doesn't even take into account the extensive backstage greenhouses (9 of them) and assorted support buildings that make up the Land complex.

Gorjus

Although I was skeptical of this myself, I just did some google mapping...these 2 images are exactly the same zoom level:

landvsfantasy.jpg

I guess my point is what are we considering. If we are considering back stage areas in the Land we have to consider back stage areas in Fantasyland. The photo above of Fantasyland doesn't encompass all of Fantasyland. Fantasyland goes from The Skyway all the way to the Teacups and includes Belle's Fairytale Garden. Then there are all the backstage areas as well. It may be a true fact if you include the Soarin' Buiding. It is just that the land is thick and Fantasyland is LONG.

Little Green Men

^ No the backstage doesn't count for either. And Disney themselves say it's true, it's under Figment's funfacts at the EPCOT 25th Anniversary Museum. I think they would know.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom