Unusual Disney Fact

the american flags above the buildings on main street have been slightly altered. So, being that thay are not TRUE American flags, they don't have to be lowered every night.

EDIT
Before you flame me on this one, please read the rest of the thread. Many posts will confirm this fact. And yes, it is known that a lighted flag doesn't have to be taken down at night.

landauh

Fort Wilderness had it's own operating railroad in the 1970s. When River Country opened in the late '70s, the railroad proved to be too slow and small for the greater transportation demand and trams were introduced to expedite the larger crowds.

Evidence of the Fort Wilderness Railroad can still be found throughout the campground to this day.

Scott

The PI ticket booths are two of the old FWRR cars.

More about the FWRR can be found here: http://www.fortwildernessrr.com/

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
the american flags above the buildings on main street have been slightly altered. So, being that thay are not TRUE American flags, they don't have to be lowered every night.

I find it hard to believe that Disney would desecrate the American flag.

Just the fact that the sand and muck dredged from the 7 seas lagoon is what was used to cover the "tunnel system/ 1st floor at MK"

I don't think this is correct. The Seven Seas Lagoon is man made, so there was nothing to dredge from it. Bay Lake, if memory serves, was dredged to remove all of the dead wood, and the sand found at the bottom was used to make the "beaches" around Seven Seas Lagoon.

Maybe the gunk and dirt that was hollowed out to make the Seven Seas Lagoon was used to fill in around and above the "first floor" of the Magic Kingdom?

This thread is cool!

Johnny

Chezman1399

Pirates of the Carribean in Florida lacks many of the scenes from the one in California for reasons other than theming. They didn't have as much room to work with because they could not build underground, so the second waterfall was cut and many of the treasure scenes were cut and what was left moved to the end of the ride.

The cobblestone pathways are in Liberty Square to be authentic to the era. At the time of the Revolution, toilet "waste" would be dumped out windows and into the stones.

Champion

No.

You can keep a flag up at night (and through weather) simply by properly illuminating it, which is what Disney does.

Jason21783

I heard this on the Keys to The Kingdom tour:

Walt envisioned MK as a movie. The reason you have to go left or right under the train station is to obscure the view of the Castle, the main show. You pass under th dark tunnel and see the attraction posters, the previews. As soon as you enter, you have popcorn vendors, like the consession stand. As you walk up Main Street, you see the credits of the folks who helped build the park, like the credits at the begining of a film. The street also has a slight incline up so the Castle slowly enters your field of vision. And finally, the Castle, the movie itself.

We were also told that the incline slows down guests as they run into the park in the morning, as they are full of more energy and they down want a stampeed, and helps them as they move downhill at the end of the day as they are more tired.

Space1205Mount

No.

You can keep a flag up at night (and through weather) simply by properly illuminating it, which is what Disney does.

this is correct, why would disney change the flag when they could just buy lights?

Fact: When you lauch on Rock 'n' RollerCoaster you r actually going up a hill and you come down the hill through the half loop on the other side of the cobra roll.

cb3k

Original Poster
Yes it was the muck and dirt dug out that covered the 1st floor..not dredged, but rather the initial dug up material..sorry for the unclarity

Fun2BFree

Haunted Mansion (and Pirates) was originally envisioned as a walk-through attraction, like a Museum of the Weird-type thing. Some furnishings designed for the attraction, like the clock that looks like a demon, ended up in the final ride. Walt decided against the walk-through after learning of the merits of high-capacity attractions at the '64-65 World's Fair.

The highest point in the Magic Kingdom is the utmost butte of Big Thunder Mountain, at 197ft.

When it rains, the water is channeled through Spaceship Earth and into underwater drains, which lead into World Showcase Lagoon.

10Scoot

The roof at the Enchanted Tiki Birds is not actual leaves. They are strips of metal that are painted to look like leaves of an actual tiki hut.

trendicoff

I love this thread!!

I'll try to control myself and only post a few factoids at at a time:

1) The pavement in MK is that wierd reddish maroon color because Kodak after extensive studies told WDW that that color creates the best contrast for pictures

2) In the main street "credit" windows, only Walt Disney's window above the Ice creamery faces the castle

3) The roof of the tiki room is metal not thatch (stand up on a bench next time and feel it!)

thats all for now!

WDWcouple

Looks like some people have been poking around their Walt Disney World Trivia Books.

I think you should give credit to the people who looked up the facts.

Dont be such a curmudgeon... this thread was just unusual facts... not.. "unusual facts thats youve discovered" this is a fun thread and no where has it been metioned that any responses have to be in APA format with sources cited..... just fun..... remember fun.........????? Its what you have when youre at Disney World... try to remember that and enjoy the unusual facts

scottnj1966

The information and safety sign that was on Space Mountain's Queue line used to "say out of this would!". They finally changed it to "world" after an email to them.

That sign is now gone and the whirpool galaxy is in its place.
Was a funny thing.

spacemountainsignmistake.jpg

MacDuffieMuppet

MY Facts

this thread is awsome..

-The only vehical that can go underground besides the golf carts are the brinks money trucks which only have like an inch to spare on both sides.
-On cinderella's golden carosel, one horse on the second row in has a gold ribbon on its tail which signifys that was Cinderella's horse.
-on the jungle cruise, when u come to the 3 tribal man dancing, the last man shouts "i love disco".:ROFLOL:
-the animal kingdom is an accreditted zoo by the american zoo and aquarium associtaion.
-the 4 official disney colors are lagoon blue,mint green, pumpkin orange, and lavender.

here are my contributions for now...i would add more but i am exhausted.:snore:

DisneyparkFreak

Fast Facts:

I thought these were pretty cool...

Magic Kingdom:
There are about 1100 Audio-Animatronic figures in the Magic Kingdom alone! These are all controlled using a system called DACS (Digital Animation Control System) from a central remote location, along with the more than 700 soundtracks for attractions, parades, stores and restaurants! In the four theme parks, there are close to 2000 Audio-Animatronics figures in all.

If you look closely at the ground as you walk down the center of Main Street, USA ,you will see a series of "pucks" embedded in the pavement. These are actually small sensors used to locate and identify floats along the parade route. As float passes over each of these "pucks," they transmit information back to a central computer (identified as "pageant"). This information is used to synchronize each float with it's music., and ensure that it is in the correct location in relation to the other floats.

EPCOT:
Covering more than 300 acres, Epcot occupies only about 1/100th of the approximately 30,000 acre site that Walt Disney World is located on! (In fact, only about 7,100 acres are developed! That's a whole lot of extra room for more parks, hotels and attractions!)

Walt Disney originally envisioned a dome over the entire Epcot city in order to have complete control over the weather.

STUDIOS:
The amount of paint used to cover the Sorcerer Mickey hat in Disney MGM Studios could cover 500 Cadillacs!

The Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the center of the Studios stands 100 feet tall, which means that Mickey Mouse would have to be 350 feet tall, and wear a hat size of 605 7/8 if he were to put on this giant hat! In fact, the interior space of the hat equals nearly 60,000 cubic feet, and if you turned it upside-down, could hold 444,744 gallons of water

Animal Kingdom:
Disney Imagineers spent 10 years designing and over $800,000,000.00 building Disney's 4th theme park. That's about twice as much as it cost to open the entire Walt Disney World Resort in 1971!

Disney's Animal Kingdom's scientists have discovered two new vocalizations never before reported in elephants.

Chew on that for awhile :king:

natalia1681

Haunted Mansion (and Pirates) was originally envisioned as a walk-through attraction, like a Museum of the Weird-type thing. Some furnishings designed for the attraction, like the clock that looks like a demon, ended up in the final ride. Walt decided against the walk-through after learning of the merits of high-capacity attractions at the '64-65 World's Fair.

I believe that Walt designed the water ride-through concept that is used in rides like Pirates and IASW, as opposed to the walk-through museum idea.

brkgnews

Here's one they gave us on either Backstage Magic or Undiscoverd Future World...

You know those really vivid fireworks colors you see in one specific part of Illuminations at EPCOT? It's a very intense purple, green, blue, and some other color. Supposedly those four specific colors are copyrighted or patented to some extent, meaning you'll never see fireworks that color anywhere but EPCOT (or at least anywhere but WDW).

Anybody out there able to clarify that?

EDIT: Even better -- found this on one of the ROE pages here...
The effects in the show include a unique palette of colors featuring:
- mint green
- pumpkin orange
- lagoon blue
- lavender

So, if we look at the "official colors" post earlier, this would jibe with that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom