Unusual Disney Fact

teebin

There is one person responsible for all of the orchid plants found high-up in the trees and on rocks at Animal Kindom; especially the Oasis. During the dry period in Florida this person hand-waters each of the orchid plants two times a week. They are one of very few plants species that are not on an automated watering system at Animal Kingdom park.

Scott M

Fort Wilderness had it's own operating railroad in the 1970s. When River Country opened in the late '70s, the railroad proved to be too slow and small for the greater transportation demand and trams were introduced to expedite the larger crowds.

This, along with the facts that the steam locomotives were quite labor intensive and derailments were plentiful due to the hurried and incorrectly built track, resulted in the demise of the railroad.

Evidence of the Fort Wilderness Railroad can still be found throughout the campground to this day.

Scott

it398

Morroco in Epcot was built by Moroccan architects as a requirement by the prince to include the country in World Showcase. As a thank you, after the pavilion was completed, the prince gave it to Disney as a gift. It is the only pavilion in World Showcase Disney did not pay for.

I heard that the prince ordered his architects to design the pavilion after he was not satgisfied with the early designs by the Imagineers. Their original designs were adapted and became part of the entrance to Adventureland at Dinseyland Paris.

Beauty_Belle

Walt Disney's wife, Lillian, remarried after his death. I was soooo surprised when I heard that for I always thought they had this timeless love like the movies.

snakeislandboy

I was told in a Y.E.S. tour the original plan for the AK was to have no signs or maps to guide you through the park. The imagineers wanted it to be an experinece of exploration and discovery. When they soft opened and tested the idea people didn't like it and there were too many bathroom emergencies so they added the signs later.

Scott M

The smell of fresh baked goods as you pass by the bakery on Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom is artificially produced and mechanically introduced to the outside air by fans.

Scott

cb3k

Original Poster
Yea, I thought this would be a fun one...I'm lovin it, the "animal kingdom adventure" posting is incredible..I can't believe that was going to be its original design..hmmm, now for another fact..the grandmother from CoP can also be found in the ballroom scene on HM. I was told she was in dire need of a refurb so upon removal they placed her in with the other happy haunts..(I hope they removed one to preserve the integrity of 999)

Fun2BFree

The FSU Weasel: In Splash, after Br'er Rabbit has been caught, you see some signs warning you of Br'er Fox's lair. Look at the roof in that scene and you should see a weasel descend from the ceiling and yell "FSU!" (presumably Florida State University.) The yell is loud, but unless you are listening for it, you probably won't hear it. I rode Splash the other night to see if this was real, and sure enough, it is!

Scott M

...the grandmother from CoP can also be found in the ballroom scene on HM...
Along this same line, one of the gentlmen that has been chased up a tree by a rhinoceros on the Jungle Cruise is the same gentleman that is nervously holding a lantern with his dog in the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion.

Scott

Champion

Walt Disney's wife, Lillian, remarried after his death. I was soooo surprised when I heard that for I always thought they had this timeless love like the movies.

So after your 'timeless love' dies, they would want you to be alone the rest of your life? Getting remarried after a spouse's death doesn't mean you love them any less, just that you found someone else with which to spend your life. Silly religions and the backwards things they teach.

I was told in a Y.E.S. tour the original plan for the AK was to have no signs or maps to guide you through the park. The imagineers wanted it to be an experinece of exploration and discovery. When they soft opened and tested the idea people didn't like it and there were too many bathroom emergencies so they added the signs later.

I have a map from day one of soft opening.

Morroco in Epcot was built by Moroccan architects as a requirement by the prince to include the country in World Showcase. As a thank you, after the pavilion was completed, the prince gave it to Disney as a gift. It is the only pavilion in World Showcase Disney did not pay for.

All of the original countries were at least in part paid for by that country.

Fun-ish Fact: The Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' RollerCoaster have a seperate power generator from the rest of the Studios as Imagineering calculated that if RnRC launched a car at the same time ToT dropped an elevator, it would bring down the Studios power grid. How 'bout that?

Well, sort of. The attractions were built in that location due to their proximity to the power relay (not a generator - just the major junction where the power enters the park.) The rides are seperate from the rest of the park, but all the areas have seperate systems.

WDWcouple

The world famous Turkey Legs come from turkeys that weight between 40 and 50 pounds each! Each leg is about 1.5 pounds. They are injected a salt water cure into the leg's muscle tissue to insure absorbtion, then slow cure in a smoker for about 6 hours.
--------
As you approach the entrance to the Magic Kingdom , you can see the landmark Walt Disney World Railroad train station. If you look above the sign that says " Magic Kingdom " you will see the "Railroad Office." Underneath that window reads, "Keeping Dreams on Track - Walter E. Disney - Chief Engineer
---------
Operating from May 1973 until August 1983, slow-moving boats known as the Plaza Swan Boats traveled around Cinderella Castle and offered guests a guided tour of the Magic Kingdom. Contrary to rumor, they were not sold to the City of Orlando, nor are they found on nearby Lake Eola .
---------
After Walt Disney's untimely death in 1966, his brother Roy took hold of the Walt Disney World project in order to see his brother's dreams fulfilled. On October 25, 1971 , the formal dedication of the park took place, highlighted by a concert featuring the 60-nation World Symphony Orchestra conducted by Arthur Fiedler at the base of Cinderella Castle, a grand luau at the Polynesian Village, the dedication of the Contemporary Resort by Bob Hope, and the 1,076 piece band playing in the Magic Kingdom's opening parade. As part of the ceremonies, Roy O. Disney stood in the Town Square of the Magic Kingdom with Walt Disney's most famous creation, Mickey Mouse, and read the dedication plaque that stands today under the flagpole which reads:

"WALT DISNEY WORLD is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney . . . and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney's dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place . . . a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn together. Dedicated this 25th day of October, 1971"

Less than two months later, Roy, seemingly having been satisfied that he completed his brother's work, passed away on December 20, 1971.

cb3k

Original Poster
It took 3 years to dredge the 7 seas lagoon...all of the countries in epcot were originally intended to be under a dome to symbolize unity..there is a Mr toad gravesit upon exiting the HM to remember him by...also there is a picture of mr toad handing over the deed to owl in the many adventures of winnie the pooh

Mecha Figment

Fun-ish Fact: The Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' RollerCoaster have a seperate power generator from the rest of the Studios as Imagineering calculated that if RnRC launched a car at the same time ToT dropped an elevator, it would bring down the Studios power grid. How 'bout that?

that is an urban legand and totaly not true. just fyi

Kingdom WDW

Looks like some people have been poking around their Walt Disney World Trivia Books.

I think you should give credit to the people who looked up the facts.

meekoman

In the MK durning Wishes water is sprayed on the roofs of surrounding buildings incase of falling ashes. The flow of the water starts from the first firework and ends a couple seconds after the last big blast goes off

This is very true. Especially the roof of the Columbia Harbor House/Hall of Presidents building. The water just pours off the roof.

redfive13

In Test Track, each vehicle carries 3 onboard computers that combined exceed the processing power on the Space Shuttle...

raven

MGM wasn't first conceived to be a theam park at all. It was to be a movie pavillion at EPCOT set between The Land and Imagination. Guests would have entered a building and borded a large roaming vehicle that took them past various movie scenes. The idea grew into an entire park and the drive-by movie attraction became The Great Movie Ride.

Rockstar

The screams that you hear on ToT, BTM and EE are a recording and not real. When there are screams that are loud enough to carry they just mix right in with the recording. Many theme parks actually do this to build the excitement.....And fear for that matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom