Unmagical summer of '09?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So ... been pondering a July 4th up at the World (if I can't get far, far away) and a few things popped into my mind making me think twice:

Park Hours. Has anyone looked at July? Is this another example of cutting as many as they can now ... only to toss some back at last minute by making it appear busier than expected? I can't ever recall MK closing before midnight on the Fourth, yet it's down for 11 p.m. on that night and most others are 10 (those were summer hours during dark days earlier this decade). TPFKaTD-MGMS actually has 7 p.m. closings scheduled in July ... something that I'd love to believe is only a mistake but I doubt it. And a 9 p.m. close on the Fourth with no pyro? Even DAK is on a 9-7 schedule. Only EPCOT keeps its 'traditional' schedule (by that I mean what people have come to expect the past decade, not what they used to offer).

So ... then I start looking at AP rates (although I may have a CM book me something better if I indeed go) ... for all the discounting that's been going on ... and all the dire summer projections ... well, the discounts are paltry. $74/$84 at values, $114/$124 at mods, $154/$184 at DAK Lodge (this is the only one at the lower price point that really feels like a deal). I'd like to check out the new rooms at Coronado since my last stay there was right after the last renovation started in 2003 and these rooms do look even better ... but at those prices I could likely Priceline an amazing resort for less (JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms, Omni Championsgate, DD Hilton even).

Of course, does a Spirit want to stay at a resort where he can return to his room after baking in theme parks only to find the room is musty and hot because the AC has either been turned off or turned up?

And dining? ... Prices keep going up ($15 for a lower quality lunch buffet at Trail's End that was $4.99 in the mid-90s?!?!) ... Of course there's Sanna and the Wave, which haven't been tried yet (and usually Disney's new locations are really great when they debut)

Freshness? What will WDW offer me that is new from my last visit a few months back? Stitch's LCI Dance Disaster? Our new Prez in the HoP (OK, this at least mildly interests me).

Of course I really want to spend a few afternoons at Aquatica and ride Manta, so I have the feeling I'm going to wind up in O-Town ... but ... I'm sure not excited by the prospects.

Anyone want to talk me into a trip? :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Trade you.:D It's Disney and I would be thrilled to go.:lol:

Sorry for the DoMish statement, but it's true...:lookaroun

The power of the pixie dust can be strong ... but it definitely has waned for me to some degree at least here in FLA ... I am thinking of delaying my business trip to LA a bit and then doing DL, which doesn't feel stale to me and has lots going on.

But I do wanna ride Manta ... and I am not at the point where I'd make a trip to SWO and not go to WDW ... yet.

EPCOT Explorer

The power of the pixie dust can be strong ... but it definitely has waned for me to some degree at least here in FLA ... I am thinking of delaying my business trip to LA a bit and then doing DL, which doesn't feel stale to me and has lots going on.

But I do wanna ride Manta ... and I am not at the point where I'd make a trip to SWO and not go to WDW ... yet.

:lol::lol:

Not saying that the parks are getting stale, but yeah the "Pixie Dust" or the nostalgia, or the fun, or the memories, or the experiences, or whatever you want to call it, is what makes Disney amazing, to me and many others.

You can still call for change like the Fanboys (bois?) do, but it's still an amazing place to visit, and I don't think anything can change that.

Just curious...How often do you visit? Could be the reason for it being
stale.:shrug:

WDW1974

Original Poster
:lol::lol:

Not saying that the parks are getting stale, but yeah the "Pixie Dust" or the nostalgia, or the fun, or the memories, or the experiences, or whatever you want to call it, is what makes Disney amazing, to me and many others.

You can still call for change like the Fanboys (bois?) do, but it's still an amazing place to visit, and I don't think anything can change that.

Disney needs more than nostalgia. That only takes you so far. I have had some of the best times of my life at WDW ... but the place has gotten stale in many ways and certainly less quality than what I was conditioned BY DISNEY to expect.

In other words, the pixie dust doesn't really work on me anymore ...

It certainly is still an amazing place to visit, but it's also less so than it was say 15 years ago.

Just curious...How often do you visit? Could be the reason for it being
stale.:shrug:

My young friend, do NOT fall into the 'familiarity breeds contempt' argument. If Disney lowers quality and I am aware of it because I vist frequently that doesn't put the onus on me. Visit less and you won't notice that the parks close early, that the parades are old, that the merchandise is all generic, that food quality has gone down and prices up etc ... nope.

As to how often I visit that's hard to say ... for many years I never went more than 2-3 months without spending 3-4 days there minimally. Since I began traveling more, for both business and pleasure, that's cut down a whole lot. In 2008, I think I was at WDW in January, February, April and October ... but I also took a transatlantic two-week cruise, spent almost a week in Sequoia National Park, spent the summer working/traveling in China ... oh yeah, and also was at DL in January, February and September ... and HKDL in August!

In other words, even if WDW were fresher, I'd still not be visiting like I once did ... just not enough time!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Don't look to me to talk you into a WDW visit... Your trip report would be too depressing. I'd prefer that people who enjoy it go. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Disney needs more than nostalgia. That only takes you so far. I have had some of the best times of my life at WDW ... but the place has gotten stale in many ways and certainly less quality than what I was conditioned BY DISNEY to expect.

In other words, the pixie dust doesn't really work on me anymore ...

It certainly is still an amazing place to visit, but it's also less so than it was say 15 years ago.

For some people, sure...Not for me I guess. Nostalgia on both the experiences front and the Disney History front make it for me.

But I agree with you on the conditioned quality.It's slipping, quickly.

You see, for me, it's the nostalgia factor, that still keeps me interested, I suppose.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't look to me to talk you into a WDW visit... Your trip report would be too depressing. I'd prefer that people who enjoy it go. :shrug:

Monty ... I don't write trip reports. I post observations (good, bad and ugly).

And I actually do enjoy WDW ... if I didn't then I wouldn't go.

I just am not blinded by pixie dust like a lot of folks here ... I just expect what I was conditioned by Disney to expect. And when they deliver it or exceed my expectations I am a happy spirit. When they don't, I don't pretend that everything is great just because I am at WDW.

I don't want DISNEY MAGIC. They can keep that marketing crap. I just want magical vacations when I visit a Disney resort.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So don't go. Any why exactly is this under "news and rumors"?

Thanks for the intelligent response.

This is under news and rumors because I haven't seen one post discussing the HUGE cuts in July hours that I discovered when looking into planning a visit.

I also found the paltry discounts newsworthy as well since I didn't see a thread on them and Disney is struggling yet the big period of discounting seems to be over.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It is news WDW1974 will be going to WDW, news he will be depressed since he doesn't seem to like it there anymore.. :veryconfu :zipit:

Why is it people can't post legit complaints or issues with WDW here without being accused of not liking the place?

Is this a church? Or a political group?

Is the only acceptable view that WDW is wonderful and never been better and anyone who has issues with the lowering of quality, staleness etc should just not go (kinda like the 'America: Love it or Leave It' BS that has often been used, most recently during the Bush years)?

Not one person has responded to any of the points I brought up ... oh well, since I am heading out shortly I guess you can look at this thread as a gift that will keep on giving!

krankenstein

Personally, I didn't expect tremendous discounts during the summer months. That is traditionally the time Disney makes a killing anyway. It seems logical to me for the discounts to be pretty much in line with what they have been in the recent past (which they are).

As far as hours, I don't get that either. It seems like they are setting themselves up for another spring break (extending hours daily). I must admit, that I also found it very upsetting that DHS will not have anything special for the 4th this year. It looks like Disney has cut another experience that, given current trends, will not return. It's another example of the truly unique experiences vanishing from the WDW.

However, I will still go to Disney. An addict has to get his fix. :lol:

NX2I85

So ... been pondering a July 4th up at the World (if I can't get far, far away) and a few things popped into my mind making me think twice:

Park Hours. Has anyone looked at July? Is this another example of cutting as many as they can now ... only to toss some back at last minute by making it appear busier than expected? I can't ever recall MK closing before midnight on the Fourth, yet it's down for 11 p.m. on that night and most others are 10 (those were summer hours during dark days earlier this decade). TPFKaTD-MGMS actually has 7 p.m. closings scheduled in July ... something that I'd love to believe is only a mistake but I doubt it. And a 9 p.m. close on the Fourth with no pyro? Even DAK is on a 9-7 schedule. Only EPCOT keeps its 'traditional' schedule (by that I mean what people have come to expect the past decade, not what they used to offer).

So ... then I start looking at AP rates (although I may have a CM book me something better if I indeed go) ... for all the discounting that's been going on ... and all the dire summer projections ... well, the discounts are paltry. $74/$84 at values, $114/$124 at mods, $154/$184 at DAK Lodge (this is the only one at the lower price point that really feels like a deal). I'd like to check out the new rooms at Coronado since my last stay there was right after the last renovation started in 2003 and these rooms do look even better ... but at those prices I could likely Priceline an amazing resort for less (JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms, Omni Championsgate, DD Hilton even).

Of course, does a Spirit want to stay at a resort where he can return to his room after baking in theme parks only to find the room is musty and hot because the AC has either been turned off or turned up?

And dining? ... Prices keep going up ($15 for a lower quality lunch buffet at Trail's End that was $4.99 in the mid-90s?!?!) ... Of course there's Sanna and the Wave, which haven't been tried yet (and usually Disney's new locations are really great when they debut)

Freshness? What will WDW offer me that is new from my last visit a few months back? Stitch's LCI Dance Disaster? Our new Prez in the HoP (OK, this at least mildly interests me).

Of course I really want to spend a few afternoons at Aquatica and ride Manta, so I have the feeling I'm going to wind up in O-Town ... but ... I'm sure not excited by the prospects.

Hey Sunshine... you should skip WDW.

yankspy

Okay, as far as park hours, they do seem early.

Hotels seem a little lower but if it does not suit you how about the Swan or Dolphin. You are on property and you will probably pay less.

Dining, what can I say, value is perception. It's sort of like being mad because your house is not worth what it was five years ago. Disney obviously feels that their dining is worth more. It is a very subjective question so I see no value in trying to argue it. There are many non-Disney owned restaurants on property that you could try. The one concrete thing that we can say is that many menus have been streamlined. However, we do not know why. It could be the dining plan, could be that places are so busy menus have had to be streamlined in order to make it easier for the kitchen to do the volume.

As far as freshness, I agree that MK could do with an addition but aren't you expecting a bit much when you say "what new thing can they offer me since my last trip a few months back". I am sure that months went by in the 80's and 90's when nothing new was added.

I say go and enjoy yourself. Stay away from MK and hang out in AK and Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom