Universe of Energy observation 4/24

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The original songs are outdated. Even if the movie is updated with a new narrator/new video, it would still be boring. Ellen is a success.

Everyone has to have a ride that is successful that you dislike.

A few of mine are Pooh Bear, Swiss Family Treehouse, Soarin', The Great Movie Ride, and Toy Story Mania. Ellen's Energy Adventure is a successful ride that you don't like. It's a successful ride that about 30% of the people don't like but it still attracts people. Simple as that. We all have a successful ride we don't like. :wave:

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. :wave:

flavious27

Wait, how?

Much energy comes from oil. The attraction was originally sponsored by an oil/energy company.

Should it be sponsored by TECO?

Pavilion of Energy is in Future World, oil really doesn't say fuel of the future. We are moving away from fossil fuels, having a fossil fuel company sponsor would be like carl jr sponsoring a WOL's good diet exhibit.

Victor Kelly

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Huh? what? Wipes drool from side of head and sits up.

When did the ride end?

It is an airconditioned opportunity for a nap.

AEfx

I think it's well past "becoming" outdated.

IMO if anything is ripe for a redo, GMR needs it a lot more than Ellen. I like the idea, but there's just something flat about Disney's celebrity AA's (pre Johnny Depp). Ellen has the same problem, but it's worse at GMR because the ride is so dependent on them.

I'd like to see the whole thing made over with current generation AA's, more relevant or iconic scenes (so long Alien...and for that matter, does anyone even know who James Cagney was anymore?), and an end to the cheesy narration. I know the CM's have to get as sick of reading that script as I do of hearing them pretend they're not sick of it.

I'd say you are half right. ;)

It does need some updating, and some new AA's, but certainly not the whole thing redone.

The James Cagney thing in particular is what catches me - no, a lot of people *don't* know who he is, but I wonder how many guests have gone after the ride to find out about his films and watch him. That's the whole point of this ride, to capture Hollywood history. Moments like that, and Casablanca, are classics and like a lot of topics (including classical music) Disney can be the first way to expose people in a valuable way.

Off that soapbox, I do agree it could use some major updating. There is plenty of space in there, because there is a decent amount of filler. Here's what I would replace :

• The Busby Berkley "cake" at the beginning, as it hasn't worked in years
  • The Tarzan scene could be greatly shortened or eliminated entirely
  • Get rid of the Indy part (once we get an Indy ride, of course ;) )
  • The "Horror" part is lame - I'd love to see a room of horror villians, but Disney just doesn't have access to them - so for the "scary" part I'd love them to change it to Disney villians
  • Replace the Fantasia scene - it's just outdated and way better done at Philharmagic
  • Both the Gangster and Western scenes could be greatly reduced

The whole thing doesn't need to be gutted (and while I'd love them to update the Alien portion, I'd be so sad if it left), but if they did the above there would be room to add a dozen or so more classic scenes from films. Now, what they should include would be a whole other topic (and no one will ever agree, and no matter what they pick some people will be upset), but there are definitely some lacking genres (like comedy).

GMR is one of the greatest rides in existence, for it's sheer unique nature and that it comes as close as we will get to having a virtual ride through the movies until we have Holodecks. ;) It's a great concept that could certainly have the *attraction" updated in terms of new scenes, etc., but it doesn't need to be "updated" in terms of the classic films it shows as the entire point is to take a tour through the classics.

AEfx

Indeed. But you see I calculated the amount of haters for Ellen's Energy Adventure on these boards and youtube :3

Which is funny because as soon as you walk into the pre-show people are laughing and comforted with a sight from home in Ellen and always seem like they are having a good time.

I'm not sure what it is, and while of course the opinions on the board skew away from the public much of the time, I'm always surprised that this one in particular is so vast.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Which is funny because as soon as you walk into the pre-show people are laughing and comforted with a sight from home in Ellen and always seem like they are having a good time.

I'm not sure what it is, and while of course the opinions on the board skew away from the public much of the time, I'm always surprised that this one in particular is so vast.

Hey, I said 30%... that goes for the WDWMagic users and about 2 or 3 comments on EEA youtube videos.

The "critics" think to much of rides these days and just find the negatives about it...

SeaCastle

Probably not but it's pretty darn close if it's only 30%

Just wondering, have you even personally experienced the original Universe of Energy? I'm getting the feeling that it was long gone before you were even born. Your argument (if there really is one) isn't holding any water.

AEfx

Just wondering, have you even personally experienced the original Universe of Energy? I'm getting the feeling that it was long gone before you were even born. Your argument (if there really is one) isn't holding any water.

I did. I used to go on the ride all the time when I was a kid, because I loved the dinosaur part.

All I remember was watching a bunch of 1970's-looking DHARMA like films about oil refineries and such besides that. I was bored stiff the whole time.

Ellen presents the same info, but in a much more humorous way (and a lot of the animation stuff underwater and such is very cool, too).

Yes, it all needs to be updated in some ways - but then again, energy is such a political issue right now that the neutrality the show has may be a good thing. It's really too bad that if it is updated chances are Ellen won't be a part of it because of their strained relationship. :(

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The opening parts of the original UoE were good, but the boring energy movie after the Dinosaurs was really tedious, especially for kids.

SeaCastle

I did. I used to go on the ride all the time when I was a kid, because I loved the dinosaur part.

All I remember was watching a bunch of 1970's-looking DHARMA like films about oil refineries and such besides that. I was bored stiff the whole time.

Ellen presents the same info, but in a much more humorous way (and a lot of the animation stuff underwater and such is very cool, too).

Yes, it all needs to be updated in some ways - but then again, energy is such a political issue right now that the neutrality the show has may be a good thing. It's really too bad that if it is updated chances are Ellen won't be a part of it because of their strained relationship. :(

The opening parts of the original UoE were good, but the boring energy movie after the Dinosaurs was really tedious, especially for kids.

From what I've read, the original Universe of Energy (for the most part) wasn't terribly interesting (I didn't visit WDW until six years after the Ellen show had been installed). I hope my point didn't get misconstrued, as the show being boring or not is a total matter of opinion, but I was more annoyed that BS statistics were being made to back up that mindset.

Wilt Dasney

The James Cagney thing in particular is what catches me - no, a lot of people *don't* know who he is, but I wonder how many guests have gone after the ride to find out about his films and watch him. That's the whole point of this ride, to capture Hollywood history. Moments like that, and Casablanca, are classics and like a lot of topics (including classical music) Disney can be the first way to expose people in a valuable way.

I debated whether to even include the Cagney reference when I typed that. I'm not really a Hollywood historian, so I'm not sure how large Cagney looms in retrospect. I just know he was somebody my parents were familiar with that I don't hear a lot about anymore, so it causes me to think his appeal might have been more rooted in a particular period than being really transcendent...but I'm not prepared to defend the point with anything beyond that vague impression.

If I could generalize the point more, it was meant more to say that the ride should be reserved for the figures and films who have made a lasting impact. Casablanca definitely qualifies in my mind. John Wayne has to be there. I'm just not up enough on Cagney's legacy to know if he is in that same tier. But honestly, that's the very least of my gripes with the ride anyway.

Krack

Regarding Ellen (the person, not the attraction) ... it's my opinion that the instant Disney puts a celebrity in an attraction as themselves, they have doomed that attraction to becoming "dated" long before they ever intend to update it. It's different if a celebrity is used to play a character or role in an attraction (like Kevin Pollack in Alien Encounter, or John Rhys-Davies in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, or Charles Grodin in Cranium Command), but when it's the celebrity themselves it's short sighted (Ellen, Bill Nye).

I think the clearest example of the right way to do it versus the wrong way to do it is The Monster Sound Show (Chevy Chase, Martin Short) juxtaposed with Sounds Dangerous (Drew Carey).

juniorthomas

Well Roy Jr. got Eisner fired, no one is safe on that board.

I played a role in that too, in fact.

And Eisner was the CEO and Chairman of the Board. Jobs is just a board member. Sure, a board member is pretty important, but CEO and Chairman of the Board is a big as it gets. Nobody wants to take down a Prince; they all want the King.

juniorthomas

do_not_want8.jpg

It will take away before BP can clean up its image that its sponsorship deals would be accepted.

True. But its one way they'd try to reach out and start building goodwill

juniorthomas

I think Disney would be wise to steer away from oil giants when they are trying to educate about energy.

Sure, they have deep pockets, but if anything bad happens to that sponsor, they immediately have to consider the effect it will have inside the park. If there was a BP ride, you can bet shareholders would have wanted it out. The implications of pulling a sponsor, especially in a short timeframe, would be huge. From ride theming and design, to signage, to trying to find someone new to replace the previous sponsor.

And that's only if the board votes to kick the sponsor out at all. I think they'd sit on the decision for a while before doing anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom