Universe of Energy observation 4/24

Oddysey

I have to agree with you here.

The original UoE, while informative and smart, was just boring.

Today's general crowd (not the hardcorre disney fans) will never spend 45 minutes watching an educational lecture like the original show. I doubt I could even sit through that.

No offense to the people who love the original pavilion, but it definitely would not appeal to today's generation. UoE doesn't have to become a thrill ride to teach info, but they still need to make it fun and relevant, much like the current version was back in the mid-90's.

Overall I think Ellen's Energy Adventure is far more entertaining than the original. However, there are two scenes that were eliminated from the original that I wish were left in in tact in some way shape or form.

1. The kinetic mosaic was awe inspiring even by today's standards. The fact that they eliminated this masterpiece for common theatre screens not only saddens me, but baffles me.

2. The final theater room effects (laser etc.) would be a great end if integrated into EEA. Of course the show itself and musical score would have needed to be updated, but the final room left me with an inspirational feeling even as a child. It was much more memorable than the ride's current ending.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Then please explain the success of the original Epcot Center pavilion E-Ticket dark rides, based on such academic sounding topics as energy, communications, and transportation. Each was simultaneously entertaining, informative, fun, and even thrilling in every way except physical thrills - which they most definitely didn't need.

Sure, if you asked the typical theme park guest what types of attractions they would like to see built (even in Disney), they're going to mention things like roller coasters, water flumes, or maybe a ferris wheel - not a ride based on energy. A successful attraction based on energy requires a level of imagination and creativity that only Disney could provide (and than arguably only the Disney of a quarter century ago, not today).

I'm not really arguing the original Universe of Energy should return. I think it would be very nice to see it again, and unlike Mr. Toad the original Energy would seem to be possible to bring back in terms of both cost and practicality (being largely just movies on a screen), but much like the theater over at Imagination what the energy pavilion really needs is a new show - or even multiple new shows. The original Universe of Energy could draw crowds for at least a limited return engagement based largely on just the nostalgia factor.

The only people it will be attracting are people over the age of 45, Disney World fans, and Retro Epcot fans.

Kids and teens will be forced to go on it, what kid have you recently heard that said "I want to go on the ride that teaches me about energy!". The only good thing according to the kid is the dinosaur scene. :lookaroun

Teenagers will think it's like watching a movie in class and think it's the most boring thing in the world. Kids and Teens don't tend to sit still in a movie or dark ride unless there's a character/person they know and love. Figment and Dreamfinder had that going. The original Imagination ride will never return in it's original glory, but maybe a new dark ride with dreamfinder.

World of Motion, Horizons, Wonders of Life, and The Living Seas with totally empty in a good bit of their last years running. Now, The Seas with Nemo and Friends is drawing many people. Test Track attracts most people of all ages. Mission: Space, the same. The only thrill ride Epcot had was Body Wars and that didn't open until 1986 if I'm correct.

As I said, people are changing. There's only a little bit of taste for slow moving rides (unless they're not boring and accuratly updated). If anything, Ellen's Jeapordy version is probably a good way of replacing the original snoozer. Even The Great Movie Ride is becoming outdated. It's almost in the stage as Universe of Energy was. I watched a video of UoE on youtube, it was more boring that I thought it was! But, I did enjoy the preshow. Although the music seemed a little outdated as well.

As usual, it's a matter of opinion. The old won't last forever. When all of you die and all of the people my age on WDWMagic are here, we'll probably get new rides which we don't want to, like all new mountains. Anything can happen, UoE is never coming back. Time to move on. :animwink:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Remember when the building got a hyybrid 1982 pain job? It was an inkling to a makeover of the attraction itself. Loose the Ellen theme. Update the movies. Rescore the original songs (one in particular) and produce a version more like the original but with the bells and whistles todays guest expect and seem to need.

The original songs are outdated. Even if the movie is updated with a new narrator/new video, it would still be boring. Ellen is a success.

Everyone has to have a ride that is successful that you dislike.

A few of mine are Pooh Bear, Swiss Family Treehouse, Soarin', The Great Movie Ride, and Toy Story Mania. Ellen's Energy Adventure is a successful ride that you don't like. It's a successful ride that about 30% of the people don't like but it still attracts people. Simple as that. We all have a successful ride we don't like. :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
"As usual, it's a matter of opinion"

Next time you should simply start and stop at this point.......

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The original songs are outdated. Even if the movie is updated with a new narrator/new video, it would still be boring. Ellen is a success.

A few of mine are Pooh Bear, Swiss Family Treehouse, Soarin', The Great Movie Ride, and Toy Story Mania. Ellen's Energy Adventure is a successful ride that you don't like. It's a successful ride that about 30% of the people don't like but it still attracts people. Simple as that. We all have a successful ride we don't like. :wave:
Was some of your opinion there directly aimed at myself and my opinions?

Wilt Dasney

Even The Great Movie Ride is becoming outdated.

I think it's well past "becoming" outdated.

IMO if anything is ripe for a redo, GMR needs it a lot more than Ellen. I like the idea, but there's just something flat about Disney's celebrity AA's (pre Johnny Depp). Ellen has the same problem, but it's worse at GMR because the ride is so dependent on them.

I'd like to see the whole thing made over with current generation AA's, more relevant or iconic scenes (so long Alien...and for that matter, does anyone even know who James Cagney was anymore?), and an end to the cheesy narration. I know the CM's have to get as sick of reading that script as I do of hearing them pretend they're not sick of it.

Also, if the hijacking still has to happen, the gangster and cowboy should be used 50/50 so people have a fighting chance to see both. :mad: (This could just be personal bitterness over the fact that I have NEVER gotten the freakin' cowboy.) :lookaroun

Jerm

Also, if the hijacking still has to happen, the gangster and cowboy should be used 50/50 so people have a fighting chance to see both. :mad: (This could just be personal bitterness over the fact that I have NEVER gotten the freakin' cowboy.) :lookaroun

During the summer it seems to be about 50/50 but on the weekends they do have both scenes running. If you ask when you get to the CM in the theater before you go to load they should be able to tell you and set you up with the cowboy.

SeaCastle

Made-up statistics aren't adding any credibility to your posts, especially when you're trying to defend an opinion.

Wilt Dasney

During the summer it seems to be about 50/50 but on the weekends they do have both scenes running. If you ask when you get to the CM in the theater before you go to load they should be able to tell you and set you up with the cowboy.

Good to know, thanks!

inluvwithbeast

Don't say something when you don't know what you're talking about.

:lookaroun

So does anyone know why they're edging around the word "Ellen"? I've read through the thread and I'm gonna guess it's a big ole no? A little off-topic but I've never been on this ride. In fact, my family spends most of our time in WS. We hit up the more popular rides in FW (M:S, SSE, Soarin', Test Track) then haul outta there.

inluvwithbeast

Sorry to post twice, but THERE'S A COWBOY?!?

Jerm

When the show is running full cars, ask to sit in the front half for the western holdup. The rear half gets the gangster hold up. One of the rides many little features.

What he said! But it is a great break from the gangster and the explosion is great also....

Ok now back to the fighting about UoE.

NadieMasK2

Unfortunately, the relationship between Disney and Ellen is not good, so I'm surprised it's gone on this long. I'm sure they have Ellen signed to a good, long contract but of course Disney could choose to remove her from the attraction at any time. In fact, I don't know how those things work - do they act as "work for hire"? There may not be a term at all, even at Ellen's discretion.

I know Ellen has done a lot with Universal lately, but she still talks very fondly of her work on Nemo on her show. I think she's very proud of that movie. Do you really think things are that bad between them?

I love Ellen in UoE. Having her in it gives it a broader audience appeal. I am not much into earth/physical sciences at all, and find the topic incredibly un-entertaining. As a young girl I would only watch Bill Nye as a last resort when all the other Saturday morning cartoons were over, and even then I often would just turn it off. I think adding Ellen was a good idea, I wish they would just tape a new movie and update the AA's. And maybe cut the length a bit - it just eats up too much time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom