Universe of Energy observation 4/24

juniorthomas

This makes me a bit sad too that this idea has permeated park planning.

I think the real measure of a park is now how "thrilling" it is, but instead how much it "wows" you. Epcot always "wow'd" me as a kid and it was easily my favorite park. Sure, space mountain was fun, but the wow in Epcot was something I thought of even as I went home. Science topics can certainly wow you.

I just hope that if they do something, they resist the temptation to do yet another thrill ride - yawn! If I want thrill rides, I'll go to Six Flags - it's a whole lot cheaper than flying to Florida.

Thrill rides are what bring people to the park. While they wait to get on those new rides they experience everything else. It's easier to market your park when you have bigger, splashier things to sell to potential park guests.

Of course Disney is a step ahead of Six Flags in that in addition to the thrill rides, they actually DO have other things to do. It's always nice that Disney usually brings E-tickets and lesser rides to the park simultaneously, giving a nice balance...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting as in "Hmm, he may be on to something with that well rounded thought" or interesting as in "I'll just say something to make him think he's smart, so he'll feel better"
No, one I don`t personally quite agree with, more one that I`d imagine Six Flags would think instead. Disney was never about thrill rides. Sure they have a place, but not all - or the majority of - rides need to be thrill at a family park.

juniorthomas

No, one I don`t personally quite agree with, more one that I`d imagine Six Flags would think instead. Disney was never about thrill rides. Sure they have a place, but not all - or the majority of - rides need to be thrill at a family park.

I'm not saying Disney was invented around the idea of building thrill rides. I'm just saying, you can get more people into your park with some splashy E-ticket than you can with a show or a smaller attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not saying Disney was invented around the idea of building thrill rides. I'm just saying, you can get more people into your park with some splashy E-ticket than you can with a show or a smaller attraction.
Oh indeed. But an E Ticket dosn`t have to be a thrill ride.

thelookingglass

Yeah, but you can't argue that the majority of Epcot visitors only ride stuff like UoE, Seas, Imagination, etc, while they wait for their Soarin' or Test Track fastpass to be valid.

flavious27

agreed, the e-tickets bring the crowds in but the shows and smaller attractions keep them entertained and coming back.

RSoxNo1

If that is the state of WDW visitors today then it`s a sad state.

So much of what people love about Epcot have little to nothing to do with attractions. I'm in the minority here, but I think Epcot and Animal Kingdom are driven by the experience (or environment) of being there - however they both need the attraction lineup to compensate for the guests that don't appreciate that "experience".

For me, I'm somewhat indifferent about World Showcase. While occasionally I enjoy spending an hour or two to walk around World Showcase, I'm not enamored with any of the shops or restaurants. I understand that World Showcase is very well done, but I also understand that it's not what draws me to Epcot. For me, it's Soarin', Test Track, Turtle Talk and Illuminations. As such, Epcot is probably my least favorite park.

Compartively, I know there are people that view the Animal Kingdom the same way I view Epcot. They go for the attractions, and those offerings are much less than what Epcot has to offer. While I can spend time exploring all the Animal Exhibits or catching things like Flights of Wonder, I recognize that's not for everyone.

flavious27

And LMA does neither of those. Snap. (a random attack on a ride that maybe someone, somewhere actually likes.)

UoE fits into that category well.

1224080305319fpicnik.jpg

LMA was entertaining the first or second time, it just needs to be refreshened, and not with cars.

castevens

Youtube videos never ever do an attraction justice for many many reasons - especially videos of dead attractions because camcorders/cameras have come a long way in resolution and low-lighting ISO control since the 1990s.

Speaking of the 90's, it's mind-blowing to me that our fellow board member was born after the movie "Titanic" was released. No judgement, just interesting. Time flies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom