Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

EPCOT Explorer

Because they ran out of black paint:D

Here`s the original lighting scheme and also the ammount of mirror tiles that used to be on the rear flanks:

Ah...So THOSE are the mirrors. Can you see them from regular angles in the parks? I would think those are only visible from the Mono...

muteki

I never realized all the mirrors back there, all I remember is shrubs. What exactly do they have against mirrors anyway?:shrug: Upkeep?

Jasonflz

Maybe they realize that a mirror on one side will show Innovention East's dirty backside:shrug: while the mirror on the other side will show what is really happening at Wonders Of Life;).

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Because they ran out of black paint:D

Here`s the original lighting scheme and also the ammount of mirror tiles that used to be on the rear flanks:

Yeah, preferably, they'd just put the mirrors back. But with the return of such an awesome paint job, I ain't really complainin'!

Ah...So THOSE are the mirrors. Can you see them from regular angles in the parks? I would think those are only visible from the Mono...

Yeah, you could see them easily before they removed them.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Hmmm...I wonder why they were taken off. They look nice.

I think it was an EPCOT manager I'd heard say that they were very difficult to maintain. What's involved in maintaining them besides a good cleaning every once in a while, I have no idea. And remember, they recently removed them from the topside of the front of the building recently, too, right in front of the solar panels.

EPCOT Explorer

I think it was an EPCOT manager I'd heard say that they were very difficult to maintain. What's involved in maintaining them besides a good cleaning every once in a while, I have no idea. And remember, they recently removed them from the topside of the front of the building recently, too, right in front of the solar panels.

Oy, those are still gone!?:brick: What's in their place?

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Here are the pictures I posted a few months ago:

picture.php

picture.php

It just looks like some kind of basic roofing material.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
No, the topiaries were just removed with this recent refurbishment. The billboard over by Wonders of Life was removed like three years ago or so.

Expo_Seeker40

As promised....here is the area around the UoE during a CM and family preview in September 1982...and then the same area from a slightly different angle in January 2008. :wave:

mbtheq.jpg

xkxjds.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

Wow, neat set of pics there Expo. Amazing how somethings haven't really changed. :)

BTW, am I the only one shocked at the rather large chunk of concrete missing at the apex of the wall in the Sept. '82 pic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom