Universal vs. Disney

Rutt

I'm sure they're considering kids with Nintendo. Most likely the whole reason they made the deal. And while it's not much they are making that Hello Kitty store. Besides that I think Universal is fine with the demographics they have and don't feel like they have to drastically change their approach to attract different ones.
And those are steps in the right direction. I agree with you, I am also fine with their demos, and I am absolutely sure Comcast is as well, but this is exactly why Uni will never 'beat' Disney, much to the frustration of the fanboiis who insist its right around the corner.

But....princesses don't interest me. At all. And cornering yourself into that demographic means that anyone with alternative interests will take their business elsewhere.

Luckily for TDO, that demographic they are catering to seems to be much larger than yours apparently. Not that they've 'cornered' themselves at all in that demographic.

Cmdr_Crimson

Gonna respond to this in the proper thread.

Universal had terrible ownership until 2009 when they were bought by Comcast.

And yet they are HORRIBLE at their own cable service...:banghead:
image.jpg

Evolution

Gonna respond to this in the proper thread.

Universal had terrible ownership until 2009 when they were bought by Comcast. That's when the money for E Tickets started rolling in. As to the "6-8 E Tickets in the next 6 years," here's what's happening right now and currently rumored on Orlando United.

2016: King Kong
2017: Volcano Bay and Fast & Furious
2018: Nintendoland with *drum roll please*............. Mario Kart.
???: Avengers E Ticket to go with an overall refresh of MSHI that's starting this year with Hulk.
???: The heavily hinted at Gyrosphere ride by the producer of Jurassic World.

I would like to say that this is all said to open before DHS is done in 2020/2021.

Don't forget about the Fallon attraction, which will probably be a D-ticket (like the boat ride in Avatar Land). Or the very likely Zelda attraction and the possible Donkey Kong ride.

Mike S

Don't forget about the Fallon attraction, which will probably be a D-ticket (like the boat ride in Avatar Land). Or the very likely Zelda attraction and the possible Donkey Kong ride.
Well I was only listing E Tickets but the other rides coming sure help round things out don't they? ;) Donkey Kong isn't a rumor I've read though. Just Mario Kart and Zelda. IMO DK is likely.

Evolution

This all sounds incredible!! I would love to do the Gyro ride!!
That being said, nobody has really even confirmed any sort of timeframes for DHS/DHA yet, and who knows what they have planned. There are rumours that the Pixar portion of DHA could be done as soon as next year. Nothing from Nintendo Land, Avengers or JW has been announced. Most of the 'rumours' on OU seem to be as wide and wild as the stuff being thrown around here for DHA/ Epcot/ MK the last few weeks.
In the meantime, Disney will also be opening Avatarland in that timeframe, and say what you will about the movie, if it is themed the way it sounds like it will be, it will be a hit.

Regardless, everything above really seems aimed at one age group and gender, and its one that Uni already has a large fanbase in. I don't see it making a huge dent in the Disney bubble, maybe an extra day in the parks, but it will still be an add on to a mouse vacation in the majority of cases. Uni needs to consider the babies (Seuss is pretty awesome if you ask me, but just not enough) and something for the ladies.

I also think they need to look into some hotels with more kid friendly theming. A couple of minion beds in a room is not enough really.

Just my opinion as to why most that I know of and help with trip planning end up at the World instead.

Most of the Pixar rumors are that it will be a bunch of carnival rides rethemed from Toy Story Playland. Not exactly something that will take a long time to build.

Avatar will most likely be nice but it's a niche market, even more so than Marvel (superheroes) or King Kong (a classic). I think you may be underrating Nintendo though. The video game demographic is huge, and Nintendo will be able to attract the casual gamers just as much as the hardcore gamers. And with the princess meet & greet opportunities, I'm sure they'll take advantage of it they way Disney does. I can see Nintendo being just as popular as Potter was, if not more.

Evolution

Well I was only listing E Tickets but the other rides coming sure help round things out don't they? ;) Donkey Kong isn't a rumor I've read though. Just Mario Kart and Zelda. IMO DK is likely.

Just goes to show how busy Universal has been/will be :D

I read somewhere that DK would be included in a second phase if it's successful enough. I think Mario Kart & Zelda will be huge draws, especially since they have slightly different crowds.

captainmoch

May someone link to one of these rumors please? I haven't heard anything about them, but I'm interested in giving it a read.

JT3000

Are we really comparing upcoming projects now? There are numerous rumors swirling around both resorts at the moment, but the fact is, Universal has a lot more that's actually confirmed at this point in time. Anything else is conjecture based solely on gossip. So why do we even need to have that conversation?

Mike S

I'm all about what universal is doing. Its awesome to see.
But you only named 4 e-tickets- and that's including a gyrosphere ride which is a completely made up rumor as of now- similar to an inside out ride at Epcot because the director and writer both said they'd love for it to be at imagination. Great story, but no credibility.

So @bakntime 's point of saying 6-8 E-tickets not being true is completely correct.

Avatar has one E and if the frontierland expansion has an E- then all a 3B expansion of DHS needs to do is create a measly two Es just to keep pace with Universal.

Here's the thing- if the rumors of DHS/Frontierland and all of Universals rumors come to fruition- Disney's will be better. My hope is that they all come true and we have two phenomenal resorts to choose from still. I like Disney. I like Universal. And I didn't internally combust. :)
You were saying?
Waaay too soon. But I can guarantee you that they are talking about multiple ideas.

This isn't Disney. You know where the Little Mermaid was HUGE ... in 1989.
I don't make up rumors, I post only what I feel has credibility based on what insiders here and on Orlando United say. Also where are you getting four? Mario Kart is rumored to be an E Ticket.

bakntime

2016: King Kong
E-ticket #1.

2017: Volcano Bay and Fast & Furious
Don't know what Fast&Furious would end up being, but if it's like Uni Hollywood's, it's not an e-ticket. But it's not much more than a fan wish at this point, is it?
Volcano Bay is a water park that's promising to be something special, but I don't know how to categorize/count water parks. So ... e-ticket #2 ... sort of?

2018: Nintendoland with *drum roll please*............. Mario Kart.
I'll believe this land is a premium land with an E-ticket when I see it, and I'll believe 2018 when I see it. That's a pretty short timetable you're working with. It hasn't broken ground yet, and Wizarding World part 1 took around 2.5 years to build after ground broke, and included only 1 new attraction. If Nintendoland wants to open by the end of 2018, it better break ground tomorrow if it's going to be a premium land with an E-ticket. Mario Kart and/or Zelda could turn out to be Shrek or Despicable Me.
But again, I'll label it e-ticket #3. As much as I'd love a better version of Forbidden Journey themed to Zelda (oh man) I just don't see it happening. But you never know.

???: Avengers E Ticket to go with an overall refresh of MSHI that's starting this year with Hulk.
Unless they raze that entire land and rebuild from the ground up, it's lipstick on a pig (just my take). I understand it was meant to look like a comic book, but it falls flat (no pun intended). That area of the park (aside from Spider-Man), at it's best, is like being at Six Flags. Hulk is a fun coaster, but it's just a coaster. I don't know how you could enhance that thing to make it anything more than just the same coaster.
As for the Avengers E-ticket ... clearly there's nothing solid to base expectations on, and we don't completely know what Disney's veto power is when it comes to Marvel attractions. But again, it's "rumored," whatever that means, so .. e-ticket #4 at an "unspecified" date.

???: The heavily hinted at Gyrosphere ride by the producer of Jurassic World.
I'm filing this as wishful thinking. There were things "heavily hinted at" for Jurassic Park area of IOA for a long time. There's no room left back there for an E-ticket (at least not a large one ... I think, anyway). A film producer saying there was "discussion" about bringing the ride to a theme park is far from something that's in the design stage. But you know what? Ok. e-ticket #5. Yet again, at some nebulous "future date" for an attraction that might never come, hasn't been announced, and one there's probably no room for.

So that's certainly not "6 to 8", and certainly not by 2020-2021, and it's an "iffy" 5 e-tickets, as only Kong and Volcano Bay are actually coming for sure at this point. The water park kind of falls into its own category, so I'm not sure how to count that towards Universal's development. The rest are speculation and rumor (Fast n Furious, Nintendo, Avengers, Gyro) with no ground broken and no official word that they are being actively developed.

I would like to say that this is all said to open before DHS is done in 2020/2021.
Well ... not really. Most of what you've listed is fan speculation/extrapolation, and much of it is nebulous, at that. And the Gyrosphere attraction at IOA has probably never gone much past blue-sky brainstorming phase.

I'm not a Universal hater. On the contrary, I was on the IOA bandwagon and even closely followed its original construction. On my very first trip to WDW, we also spent a day at Universal (back in the Kong, Jaws, Ghostbusters, BTTF days). Two years ago I had a great two-day trip to IOA and Uni. Even though I'm not a Potter fan, I loved Wizarding World for its themeing and Forbidden Journey. It looks fantastic at night, and eventually I'm sure I'll check out the new counterpart at the Studios.

With all that, and because this is a "vs" thread:
I'm still waiting for Universal to charm me. Still waiting for it to make me slow down and want to linger the same way that Magic Kingdom does, for example. The Studios park has some amazing rides, but when so many of them are plopped down in a big steel box at the end of an asphalt street, they start to lose something. It still feels compact and a bit too "urban" to me, and I'm not sure it can ever completely get out from underneath that. IOA fares slightly better, with Wizarding World and Jurassic Park beside it the best examples of an entire environment that makes me feel like I'm not in Orlando, but beyond that area, Universal doesn't do the best job of making me feel like I'm not in a concrete jungle. The landscaping and environments at WDW (Splash Mountain area, Adventureland, new Fantasyland ... pretty much most of MK, Epcot's landscaping, World Showcase, Animal Kingdom's majesty, to name a few) are superior. It's a huge part of the package for me.

Disney generally feels different, and for me, it's a "better" different.

Mouse_Trap

I'm all about what universal is doing. Its awesome to see.
But you only named 4 e-tickets- and that's including a gyrosphere ride which is a completely made up rumor as of now- similar to an inside out ride at Epcot because the director and writer both said they'd love for it to be at imagination. Great story, but no credibility.

So @bakntime 's point of saying 6-8 E-tickets not being true is completely correct.

Avatar has one E and if the frontierland expansion has an E- then all a 3B expansion of DHS needs to do is create a measly two Es just to keep pace with Universal.

Here's the thing- if the rumors of DHS/Frontierland and all of Universals rumors come to fruition- Disney's will be better. My hope is that they all come true and we have two phenomenal resorts to choose from still. I like Disney. I like Universal. And I didn't internally combust. :)

It's my understanding that there's no E-ticket in the Avatar expansion, it's 1 D-ticket (Soarin' clone) and 1 C-ticket (boat ride).

I think the reference to the Universal quote is from when it was made, not some years later. There's been a few notable rides opened since that was announced.

Disney may now have a few things in the pipeline, but that doesn't really even make up for their decade of stagnation, let alone fill the next decade which they'll take to build them all. Don't forget its now more than 10 years since they last opened an E-ticket. In addition to that the only addition of note has been SDMT, a.nicely.themed but overly brief kiddie coaster.

bakntime

My kids have been to a Disney park every year they have been alive. Son has done 3 trip and Daughter has done 5. We have honeymooned and vacationed to Disney parks numerous times prior to having kids. During DL's 50th we went to DL 3 Times and WDW once on vacations. We LOVE Disney! But on our next trip my husband will be doing a Run Disney race and we will be visiting Universal and Legoland. We have ZERO plans to go to a Disney Park. We have done everything at WDW numerous times with our kids and we are ready to do a new adventure. This will be our 3 trip to Uni Parks and my kids first true visit (they were 11m and 2 last time). My daughter loves Harry Potter and of course Minion and Superheros are big on the kids list. We will of course be going back to Disney in the future but right now Universal has much more appeal with so many new things to explore.
But much of that interest in Universal is due to the fact that there's so much there you haven't seen yet. If you had done nothing but visit Universal every year, having never been to Disney in that span, I think you'd be sick of Universal by now, too, and you'd all be eager to visit WDW.

My point here is that much of the appeal of Universal to "Disney regulars" is Disney fatigue through over-visiting.

I don't watch my favorite movie every time I sit down to watch one. I take some time away from it, then when I come back I go "Oh yeah, this is why it's my favorite." Sometimes you need to miss something a little to appreciate what it does for you.

bakntime

It's my understanding that there's no E-ticket in the Avatar expansion, it's 1 D-ticket (Soarin' clone) and 1 C-ticket (boat ride).

It's not a Soarin clone. It's similar in that it uses a large domed screen. It will be 3D (Soarin is 2D) and will reportedly have a full range motion simulator base. Whether you call it an E-ticket or not won't change what it is/isn't. Many consider Soarin as one of Disney's finest experiences (there are droves of people who adore it), and many don't care for it at all. Same goes for Forbidden Journey or any E-ticket ride.

It's terribly unclear what the boat ride will be like. Labeling an attraction using the old "ABCDE" ticket scheme is a very shady process. Differing reports describe the boat ride as a very unique, immersive experience, and the reported "C ticket" label on the very early blueprints may have received major revisions since then, or it may have simply been mislabeled by someone who didn't know what to "ticket" to call it. Time will tell how well it is received, and whether or not it's a worthy addition. But neither you nor anyone else on the public side of the internet knows exactly what the ride will entail.

Disney may now have a few things in the pipeline, but that doesn't really even make up for their decade of stagnation, let alone fill the next decade which they'll take to build them all. Don't forget its now more than 10 years since they last opened an E-ticket. In addition to that the only addition of note has been SDMT, a.nicely.themed but overly brief kiddie coaster.
"A few things." I love how you can spin $3 billion as "a few things."
So because Disney didn't need to expand rapidly over the last decade, they'll somehow need a decade to complete the projects that are in the pipeline? Did Wizarding World of Harry Potter make up for IOA's 16 years of stagnation? Because IOA didn't open a single new e-ticket since the park's opening day. If it did make up for it, then how could a several billion dollar investment at DHS not make up for it? It's funny that you ignore Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin (still currently three of WDW's more popular attractions), along with a beautiful and much-needed (if lacking in e-tickets) Fantasyland expansion.

Do you really think that the DHS expansion won't be done until 2025?

Skip

I would expect Donkey Kong... and a few other smaller rides.

JT3000

Here's the thing- if the rumors of DHS/Frontierland and all of Universals rumors come to fruition- Disney's will be better.

Miss Cleo? Is that you? If it's not too much to ask, can I get a free tarot reading while you're here? We both know you have plenty of free time these days.

Don't know what Fast&Furious would end up being, but if it's like Uni Hollywood's, it's not an e-ticket. But it's not much more than a fan wish at this point, is it?

I love how Disney rumors are automatically assumed legit while Universal's are all "fan wishes" or "wishful thinking". Why the hypocrisy? Especially when, besides Avatar, rumors are literally all you're using to boost Disney? Your entire argument is dependent on them. Meanwhile, Universal actually has several large projects officially announced!

And whether you believe it or not, the source of the F&F rumor has already stated it's nothing like Hollywood's.

Volcano Bay is a water park that's promising to be something special, but I don't know how to categorize/count water parks. So ... e-ticket #2 ... sort of?

You count it as an entire park... because it's an entire park.

I'll believe this land is a premium land with an E-ticket when I see it... Mario Kart and/or Zelda could turn out to be Shrek or Despicable Me.

Seriously? Nintendo is notoriously protective of their characters. They will accept nothing less than the Potter treatment.

As for the Avengers E-ticket ... clearly there's nothing solid to base expectations on, and we don't completely know what Disney's veto power is when it comes to Marvel attractions. But again, it's "rumored," whatever that means.

Just like how every Disney project you've mentioned, with the exception of Avatar, is "rumored," whatever that means. 100% exactly like that.

I'm filing this as wishful thinking. There were things "heavily hinted at" for Jurassic Park area of IOA for a long time. There's no room left back there for an E-ticket (at least not a large one ... I think, anyway). A film producer saying there was "discussion" about bringing the ride to a theme park is far from something that's in the design stage. But you know what? Ok. e-ticket #5. Yet again, at some nebulous "future date" for an attraction that might never come, hasn't been announced, and one there's probably no room for.

So that's certainly not "6 to 8", and certainly not by 2020-2021, and it's an "iffy" 5 e-tickets, as only Kong and Volcano Bay are actually coming for sure at this point. The water park kind of falls into its own category, so I'm not sure how to count that towards Universal's development. The rest are speculation and rumor (Fast n Furious, Nintendo, Avengers, Gyro) with no ground broken and no official word that they are being actively developed.

See above.

It's terribly unclear what the boat ride will be like. Labeling an attraction using the old "ABCDE" ticket scheme is a very shady process.

And yet you have no problem doing just that. Even going so far as to debate the "E" credentials of attractions that don't yet exist.

The landscaping and environments at WDW (Splash Mountain area, Adventureland, new Fantasyland ... pretty much most of MK, Epcot's landscaping, World Showcase, Animal Kingdom's majesty, to name a few) are superior. It's a huge part of the package for me.

WDW's environments are superior to everything at Uni, huh?

Vision of Hogwarts by h tf, on Flickr
Welcome to Diagon Alley by h tf, on Flickr
Fury of the Gods by h tf, on Flickr

Okay, I'm done.
giphy_zpsljvkquue.gif~original

Last edited:

Mike S

Miss Cleo? Is that you? If it's not too much to ask, can I get a free tarot reading while you're here? We both know you have plenty of free time these days.

I love how Disney rumors are automatically assumed legit while Universal's are all "fan wishes" or "wishful thinking". Why the hypocrisy? Especially when, besides Avatar, rumors are literally all you're using to boost Disney? Your entire argument is dependent on them. Meanwhile, Universal actually has several large projects officially announced!

And whether you believe it or not, the source of the F&F rumor has already stated it's nothing like Hollywood's.

Seriously? Nintendo is notoriously protective of their characters. They will accept nothing less than the Potter treatment.

Just like how every Disney project you've mentioned, with the exception of Avatar, is "rumored," whatever that means. 100% exactly like that.

See above.

And yet you have no problem doing just that. Even going so far as to debate the "E" credentials of attractions that don't yet exist.

Vision of Hogwarts by h tf, on Flickr
Welcome to Diagon Alley by h tf, on Flickr
Fury of the Gods by h tf, on Flickr

Okay, I'm done.
giphy_zpsljvkquue.gif~original
Thanks for covering some of those points for me :) I'll add that our very own @marni1971 is a good source that has backed up Fast and Furious coming and being nothing like Hollywood's. Based on what I've read lately on OU it seems Nintendo will be getting the Potter treatment and you can expect Disaster (F&F) and KidZone to close later this year.

Mike S

E-ticket #1.

I'll believe this land is a premium land with an E-ticket when I see it, and I'll believe 2018 when I see it. That's a pretty short timetable you're working with. It hasn't broken ground yet, and Wizarding World part 1 took around 2.5 years to build after ground broke, and included only 1 new attraction. If Nintendoland wants to open by the end of 2018, it better break ground tomorrow if it's going to be a premium land with an E-ticket. Mario Kart and/or Zelda could turn out to be Shrek or Despicable Me.
But again, I'll label it e-ticket #3. As much as I'd love a better version of Forbidden Journey themed to Zelda (oh man) I just don't see it happening. But you never know.

Unless they raze that entire land and rebuild from the ground up, it's lipstick on a pig (just my take). I understand it was meant to look like a comic book, but it falls flat (no pun intended). That area of the park (aside from Spider-Man), at it's best, is like being at Six Flags. Hulk is a fun coaster, but it's just a coaster. I don't know how you could enhance that thing to make it anything more than just the same coaster.
As for the Avengers E-ticket ... clearly there's nothing solid to base expectations on, and we don't completely know what Disney's veto power is when it comes to Marvel attractions. But again, it's "rumored," whatever that means, so .. e-ticket #4 at an "unspecified" date.

Well ... not really. Most of what you've listed is fan speculation/extrapolation, and much of it is nebulous, at that. And the Gyrosphere attraction at IOA has probably never gone much past blue-sky brainstorming phase.

I'm not a Universal hater. On the contrary, I was on the IOA bandwagon and even closely followed its original construction. On my very first trip to WDW, we also spent a day at Universal (back in the Kong, Jaws, Ghostbusters, BTTF days). Two years ago I had a great two-day trip to IOA and Uni. Even though I'm not a Potter fan, I loved Wizarding World for its themeing and Forbidden Journey. It looks fantastic at night, and eventually I'm sure I'll check out the new counterpart at the Studios.

With all that, and because this is a "vs" thread:
I'm still waiting for Universal to charm me. Still waiting for it to make me slow down and want to linger the same way that Magic Kingdom does, for example. The Studios park has some amazing rides, but when so many of them are plopped down in a big steel box at the end of an asphalt street, they start to lose something. It still feels compact and a bit too "urban" to me, and I'm not sure it can ever completely get out from underneath that. IOA fares slightly better, with Wizarding World and Jurassic Park beside it the best examples of an entire environment that makes me feel like I'm not in Orlando, but beyond that area, Universal doesn't do the best job of making me feel like I'm not in a concrete jungle. The landscaping and environments at WDW (Splash Mountain area, Adventureland, new Fantasyland ... pretty much most of MK, Epcot's landscaping, World Showcase, Animal Kingdom's majesty, to name a few) are superior. It's a huge part of the package for me.

Disney generally feels different, and for me, it's a "better" different.
Since @JT3000 covered most of these points for me I'll just add that the rumored enhancements for Hulk are a better themed queue and a new smoother track.

bakntime

The original context of my post was lost when it got copied here. I was refuting claims from some ardent Universal supporters (I dislike the term fanboy and I'd rather not condescend to someone in that manner) who implied that Disney was going to take a billion years to do the DHS expansion, and that even then, they wouldn't have a prayer of keeping up with the hyperbolic flood of world class e-tickets that was about spring forth from can't-do-no-wrong gods at Universal. Here's a newsflash: Neither Disney nor Universal are perfect. I know it's hard for you to hear that there are parts of Universal that suck skunk fur, and I know it's hard for you to hear that Universal might not actually be building 6-8 e-tickets in the next 5-6 years (as totally plausible as that sounds), but I felt it necessary to toss some water on the flames of all this good 'ol fashion, thinly-veiled Disney-bashing that's en vogue these days on what's ostensibly a WDW fan site. Forgive me, Disney haters, while I proceed with my opinions.

Okay. I do believe, actually, that if F&F were to be built at Orlando it wouldn't be an exact clone, but only because the Hollywood version is part of the tram tour, of which there isn't one in Orlando. So it would obviously have to be modified. I think it would be a tragic waste of attraction space that Universal doesn't have in high-supply (spend the money on plussing a Zelda e-ticket plz and thank you), but maybe watching Vin Diesel yell while driving really fast next to me (in 3D) would be more fun than it sounds. But if they do replace Disaster, I'm not seeing how the Florida version can escape being virtually the same thing the Hollywood version is, other than it being longer, maybe?

And I still don't particular care, I guess. Doesn't mean it won't be a blast for those who like water parks. But I won't go. Just not my thing. Disney has two water parks already, never been to them, either.

I love Nintendo. I grew up on Nintendo. Owned every console up through the Wii. But I know Nintendo. They've allowed garbage licenses of their properties in the past (Super Mario Bros movie, Zelda Philips CD-I games ... I'm sure there are more), and I just don't know if I can count on Nintendo to demand anything from Universal, and I don't know that they're even in a position to do so. Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of Nintendo's judgement and direction these days. They've been spiraling downward since the Wii U was announced. And this is coming from someone who's always been a Nintendo fan. Not that Universal+Nintendo won't be great, but it could easily be a let down. I just can't get my hopes up for the Zelda-themed Forbidden Journey that I'd love to see.

What on earth led you to add "everything" to my comment? Yes, Universal has a couple of beautiful environs (you've posted pictures of pretty much both of them). But I clearly stated in my post, which you obviously ignored, that areas like Jurassic Park and Wizarding World are quality, immersive areas.

What I was implying is that the rest of IOA is a mish-mash that ranges from acceptable to downright bland. Toon Lagoon is blah, Marvel Island screams Six Flags to me with Hulk's unsightly green metal wrapping its tentacles around cardboard cutouts of boring building facades. Dragon Challenge mars the skyline and background of Lost Continent, and even intrudes into parts of Wizarding World as people go screaming by on a standard, garish B&M coaster (a ride that's a lot of fun, but just doesn't fit in that kind of beautifully themed area). Seuss island is alright (has some whimsy), but it's lacking something. MK's fantasyland destroys it. Outside of Wizarding World and Jurassic park, nothing else at IOA moves me whatsoever. Nothing memorable. Nothing beautiful or emotionally compelling. I don't feel the desire to take a photo of any of it, nor sit on a bench and take it all in for a while. Disney has a couple areas that are failures like that as well, like the Chester and Hester area of Animal Kingdom. But those areas are few and far between at the four Disney parks, whereas it's the presiding feel and overall impression at Universal. I never claimed every inch of WDW beats every inch of Universal in those regards. It's about an overall collective experience, an overall beauty that WDW has in large quantity.

You can post stunning photos of the Potter lands, because they are stunning, but I've seen the sum total of both parks. Pretty much all of the Studios park is, as I said, "urban" feeling (outside of Diagon which I haven't seen in person yet, but it looks beautiful). The rest of the Studios, however? Most of the time I feel like I'm walking through a theme park that sprung up in a parking lot. Much of that was the intent of the park in the beginning because of the "film studio" aspect, but now there are attractions in the midst of the backlot "street sets" area that was by-design meant to feel urban. But nonetheless, that asphalt and concrete and boxy feel still looms very large for me. Even the queues of some attractions like Terminator or the Simpsons are straight up depressing. Outside of ET and Gringotts, the Studios has mostly forgettable queues and environments. Even the Simpsons land didn't quite do it for me, and I adore the Simpsons. It was very cute to see some of Springfield re-created, but in the same way that Toon Lagoon and Suess Island fail for me personally, so does the Simpsons area. It feels like plastic and fiberglass--and even though I know that's intentional, it's hard for me to connect with it.

I understand Universal is under new ownership. I understand that much of the newer stuff is better (the queue of Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, for example, are what's good about the direction at Universal, but Disney has been doing that on almost every major attraction since the 90s).

I don't enjoy listing the things I hate about Universal. I really don't. It's a shame, because I really like Uni, and I want to continue to like it and enjoy it. I like the rides, I like going there in general. But in the end, for me, it doesn't hold a candle to what Disney does in terms of place-making. Aside from the two Wizarding World areas, Jurassic Park (which holds a special sentimental place in my heart), and little snippets of flora here and there, there's a bit too much plastic+metal+asphalt. For every photo you post of Hogsmeade or Diagon, Disney has 10 that show off that kind (like this one for example, of the beautiful England area: https://www.flickr.com/photos/somuchhamilton/6914311494). Google search for things like "World Showcase at night", "Epcot landscaping" or "Magic Kingdom landscaping" to see the kind of greenery and grandeur that Universal generally lacks. That's not even talking about Animal Kingdom or the better-themed areas of Hollywood Studios, which even in it's currently dismal state, has the haunting Tower of Terror area or Echo lake to somewhat redeem the otherwise studio blocky-ness of much of the park.

Disney World is lush in comparison to the majority of Universal, especially the Studios. You might not care. I do. That's why it's called an opinion. The environment, the place-making, the general feel in a theme park is a terribly critical element to me, especially when I'm looking to get away from the real world and take a full-on vacation. And of the few areas in WDW parks that I'm not in love with, it's due to a lack of the kind of thing that's part and parcel of much of the two Universal parks (as they currently stand). Once again, it's not that Universal isn't capable. But they're fighting a battle against several mistakes made when the Studios were built, as well as several mistakes made when IOA was built (lack of shade, Marvel Island's cardboard feel, etc). They're making a good go of it with things like the two Wizarding Worlds, but they've got a loooooong way to go (again, just in my opinion) to repair that damage. As the two parks stand, they can't match the scope and scale of what Disney has been doing right for a long time.

I don't mind when people disagree with me. I don't mind when people love the heck out of Universal or prefer it to Disney. What bothers me is when there's all this hyperbole that goes unchecked, like "6-8 E-tickets for Universal in the next 6 years" or that Universal is cranking out E-tickets at some kind of absurd rate, or that Disney's approved $3 billion expansion of Hollywood Studios can't make up for a decade of "stagnation" when Universal was in the same stagnation boat until they built the first Wizarding World. Universal found new ownership, spent some money, built some attractions, but they're not suddenly a can't-fail golden child of theme park stardom. Then, when Disney throws $3B in the ring, it's just an unfounded "rumor" and even if it's true it's "too little too late" because Disney doesn't know what they're doing. Okay. We'll see.

I'm honestly not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, but it seems like there's a few people here who don't really care for Disney in the least, which I guess I find odd, if not a bit suspicious, considering this is a site about WDW.

Last edited:

Mike S

You've lost the context in which my reply was placed. I was refuting claims from some ardent Universal supporters (I dislike the term fanboy and I'd rather not condescend to someone in that manner) who implied that Disney was going to take a billion years to do the DHS expansion, and that even then, they wouldn't have a prayer of keeping up with the hyperbolic flood of world class e-tickets that was about spring forth from can't-do-no-wrong gods at Universal. Here's a newsflash: Neither Disney nor Universal are perfect. I know it's hard for you to hear that there are parts of Universal that suck skunk fur, and I know it's hard for you to hear that Universal might not actually be building 6-8 e-tickets in the next 5-6 years (as totally plausible as that sounds), but I felt it necessary to toss some water on the flames of all this good 'ol fashion, thinly-veiled Disney-bashing that's en vogue these days on what's ostensibly a WDW fan site. Forgive me, Disney haters, while I proceed with my opinions.

Okay. I do believe, actually, that if F&F were to be built at Orlando it wouldn't be an exact clone, but only because the Hollywood version is part of the tram tour, of which there isn't one in Orlando. So it would obviously have to be modified. I think it would be a tragic waste of attraction space that Universal doesn't have in high-supply (spend the money on plussing a Zelda e-ticket plz and thank you), but maybe watching Vin Diesel yell while driving really fast next to me (in 3D) would be more fun than it sounds.

And I still don't particular care, I guess. Doesn't mean it won't be a blast for those who like water parks. But I won't go. Just not my thing. Disney has two water parks already, never been to them, either.

I love Nintendo. I grew up on Nintendo. Owned every console up through the Wii. But I know Nintendo. They've allowed garbage licenses of their properties in the past (Super Mario Bros movie, Zelda Philips CD-I games ... I'm sure there are more), and I just don't know if I can count on Nintendo to demand anything from Universal, and I don't know that they're even in a position to do so. Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of Nintendo's judgement and direction these days. They've been spiraling downward since the Wii U was announced. And this is coming from someone who's always been a Nintendo fan. Not that Universal+Nintendo won't be great, but it could easily be a let down. I just can't get my hopes up for the Zelda-themed Forbidden Journey that I'd love to see.

What on earth led you to add "everything" to my comment? Yes, Universal has a couple of beautiful environs (you've posted pictures of pretty much both of them). But I clearly stated in my post, which you obviously ignored, that areas like Jurassic Park and Wizarding World are quality, immersive areas.

What I was implying is that the rest of IOA is a mish-mash that ranges from acceptable to downright bland. Toon Lagoon is blah, Marvel Island screams Six Flags to me with Hulk's unsightly green metal wrapping its tentacles around cardboard cutouts of boring building facades. Dragon Challenge mars the skyline and background of Lost Continent, and even intrudes into parts of Wizarding World as people go screaming by on a standard, garish B&M coaster (a ride that's a lot of fun, but just doesn't fit in that kind of beautifully themed area). Seuss island is alright (has some whimsy), but it's lacking something. MK's fantasyland destroys it. Outside of Wizarding World and Jurassic park, nothing else at IOA moves me whatsoever. Nothing memorable. Nothing beautiful or emotionally compelling. I don't feel the desire to take a photo of any of it, nor sit on a bench and take it all in for a while. Disney has a couple areas that are failures like that as well, like the Chester and Hester area of Animal Kingdom. But those areas are few and far between at the four Disney parks, whereas it's the presiding feel and overall impression at Universal. I never claimed every inch of WDW beats every inch of Universal in those regards. It's about an overall collective experience, an overall beauty that WDW has in large quantity.

You can post stunning photos of the Potter lands, because they are stunning, but I've seen the sum total of both parks. Pretty much all of the Studios park is, as I said, "urban" feeling (outside of Diagon which I haven't seen in person yet, but it looks beautiful). The rest of the Studios, however? Most of the time I feel like I'm walking through a theme park that sprung up in a parking lot. Much of that was the intent of the park in the beginning because of the "film studio" aspect, but now there are attractions in the midst of the backlot "street sets" area that was by-design meant to feel urban. But nonetheless, that asphalt and concrete and boxy feel still looms very large for me. Even the queues of some attractions like Terminator or the Simpsons are straight up depressing. Outside of ET and Gringotts, the Studios has mostly forgettable queues and environments. Even the Simpsons land didn't quite do it for me, and I adore the Simpsons. It was very cute to see some of Springfield re-created, but in the same way that Toon Lagoon and Suess Island fail for me personally, so does the Simpsons area. It feels like plastic and fiberglass--and even though I know that's intentional, it's hard for me to connect with it.

I understand Universal is under new ownership. I understand that much of the newer stuff is better (the queue of Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, for example, are what's good about the direction at Universal, but Disney has been doing that on almost every major attraction since the 90s).

I don't enjoy listing the things I hate about Universal. I really don't. It's a shame, because I really like Uni, and I want to continue to like it and enjoy it. I like the rides, I like going there in general. But in the end, for me, it doesn't hold a candle to what Disney does in terms of place-making. Aside from the two Wizarding World areas, Jurassic Park (which holds a special sentimental place in my heart), and little snippets of flora here and there, there's a bit too much plastic+metal+asphalt. For every photo you post of Hogsmeade or Diagon, Disney has 10 that show off that kind (like this one for example, of the beautiful England area: https://www.flickr.com/photos/somuchhamilton/6914311494). Google search for things like "World Showcase at night", "Epcot landscaping" or "Magic Kingdom landscaping" to see the kind of greenery and grandeur that Universal generally lacks. That's not even talking about Animal Kingdom or the better-themed areas of Hollywood Studios, which even in it's currently dismal state, has the haunting Tower of Terror area or Echo lake to somewhat redeem the otherwise studio blocky-ness of much of the park.

Disney World is lush in comparison to the majority of Universal, especially the Studios. You might not care. I do. That's why it's called an opinion. The environment, the place-making, the general feel in a theme park is a terribly critical element to me, especially when I'm looking to get away from the real world and take a full-on vacation. And of the few areas in WDW parks that I'm not in love with, it's due to a lack of the kind of thing that's part and parcel of much of the two Universal parks (as they currently stand). Once again, it's not that Universal isn't capable. But they're fighting a battle against several mistakes made when the Studios were built, as well as several mistakes made when IOA was built (lack of shade, Marvel Island's cardboard feel, etc). They're making a good go of it with things like the two Wizarding Worlds, but they've got a loooooong way to go (again, just in my opinion) to repair that damage. As the two parks stand, they can't match the scope and scale of what Disney has been doing right for a long time.

I don't mind when people disagree with me. I don't mind when people love the heck out of Universal or prefer it to Disney. What bothers me is when there's all this hyperbole that goes unchecked, like "6-8 E-tickets for Universal in the next 6 years" or that Universal is cranking out E-tickets at some kind of absurd rate, or that Disney's approved $3 billion expansion of Hollywood Studios can't make up for a decade of "stagnation" when Universal was in the same stagnation boat until they built the first Wizarding World. Universal found new ownership, spent some money, built some attractions, but they're not suddenly a can't-fail golden child of theme park stardom. Then, when Disney throws $3B in the ring, it's just an unfounded "rumor" and even if it's true it's "too little too late" because Disney doesn't know what they're doing. Okay. We'll see.

I'm honestly not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, but it seems like there's a few people here who don't really care for Disney in the least, which I guess I find odd, if not a bit suspicious, considering this is a site about WDW.
No one has ever said it would take "a billion years" for the DHS expansion. Insiders here have said don't expect Star Wars to open at WDW before 2020/2021 though and since that's a big part of the DHS redo, that means it won't be finished until 2020/2021. Pixar will most likely open sooner than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom