Universal vs. Disney

agent86

The "Spiderman simulator" isn't a great ride? Funny, I'm pretty sure most Universal AND Disney fans believe Spiderman to be one of the most incredible attractions ever in any theme park.

Universal contains two incredible parks with incredible rides, on par with (and in some cases better than) what's offered at Disney.

Also, not surprisingly, the Orlando Sentinel recently named Spiderman the number one single theme park attraction in Orlando. I'm not sure I agree with the entire Top 50 list, but I definitely agree with their top choice:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...ndo-attractions-photos,0,5513540.photogallery

the-reason14

Given those specific options (i.e. stand in hour long lines versus anything else you mentioned) you'll get no argument from me. But I think it's rather short-sighted to assume that everyone who visits a theme park goes with the goal of "hitting as many attractions as possible". So I'm afraid that despite your claim that you "can guarantee" it, you actually can't.

And so you think that people much rather waste their time in line? Ok, that makes sense, not. Yes, there's shopping and parades and all that other stuff that most first timers want to do, and they'll miss those things if they are standing in line. Most people do want to hit as many attractions as possible. And who do you know would rather stand in line? If you cant see that than thats you.

The Mom

Premium Member
There is a thin line between discussion and argument, and IMO (which is the one that counts here) it has been crossed. This has changed from a discussion/debate about WDW vs US to one about individual posters. Play nicely, or play elsewhere. Thank-you.

The wrist slaps were given for all of the arguing, not just a specific post. Quite frankly, I chose not to go through all of them to find the "worst" ones.

Mr.EPCOT

Also, not surprisingly, the Orlando Sentinel recently named Spiderman the number one single theme park attraction in Orlando. I'm not sure I agree with the entire Top 50 list, but I definitely agree with their top choice:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...ndo-attractions-photos,0,5513540.photogallery

I might agree with that if I ever saw any indication of any kind of maintenence on the attraction. As it stands, there's always 3-D misaligned on one of the screens, always audio missing somewhere throughout the attraction, and sometimes one of the 3-D screens aren't even on.

But even if it was working completely all of the time, I still don't think it would trump attractions like The Haunted Mansion, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, etc.

And if the Indiana Jones Adventure ever made down here, especially if they improved on it, that would blow Spider-Man away.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I like that list. I don't agree with the precise order (but the odds of agreeing with all the rankings are astronomical). I can tell some thought went into the list and it hits on a wide variety of attractions.

KFJames

We went to IOA/Studios for the first time this Christmas. Stayed on sight at the PBH (stunning) for 6 nights. We won't be rushing to go back to Universal again............don't get me wrong, they do have some great rides but the atmosphere just is not the same as Disney and the majority of the staff at the parks (if you could tell who they were!), that we encountered were rude & just didn't care that you were the customer. There is way too much alcohol on sale in the parks, if you want alcohol go to CityWalk! I have to say that I did not feel safe/comfortable and would definately not wander around by myself. Sorry guys, just mine & my families view. Would go to PBH again though, staff outstanding there & really beautiful hotel.

nerdboyrockstar

The Orlando Sentinel list is questionable.. but I do agree with Spider-Man being #1. For me, the biggest debate would be Spider-Man vs. Tower of Terror. I absolutely love both.

Dinosaur is way too low on that list, and Primeval Whirl being higher is a joke.

hack2112

The biggest joke of all is that Twister is on the list.

However scaring people in the preshow right before the scene is fun.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We went to IOA/Studios for the first time this Christmas. Stayed on sight at the PBH (stunning) for 6 nights. We won't be rushing to go back to Universal again............don't get me wrong, they do have some great rides but the atmosphere just is not the same as Disney and the majority of the staff at the parks (if you could tell who they were!), that we encountered were rude & just didn't care that you were the customer. There is way too much alcohol on sale in the parks, if you want alcohol go to CityWalk! I have to say that I did not feel safe/comfortable and would definately not wander around by myself. Sorry guys, just mine & my families view. Would go to PBH again though, staff outstanding there & really beautiful hotel.

From someone from Swindon that s bit of a laugh

ttalovebug

I'd be curious to know what your typical park itinerary is. I'd be willing to bet that your six days at Disney are spent fully immersed in the parks, taking your time and soaking it all in. Whereas your one or two days at Universal are likely spent rushing around, skipping stuff, and doing it all as fast as possible just so you can say it only takes a day or two to see it all.

I don't think so. No matter how much you like Universal, you still need more days to explore Disney because there are simply more parks and attractions. It's not a matter of which is "better", WDW is bigger. That's a fact. It seems you are just trying to argue every last point, no matter how small or ridiculous or irrelevant it may be.

nerdboyrockstar

I don't think so. No matter how much you like Universal, you still need more days to explore Disney because there are simply more parks and attractions. It's not a matter of which is "better", WDW is bigger. That's a fact. It seems you are just trying to argue every last point, no matter how small or ridiculous or irrelevant it may be.

I agree. Obviously.. but to be fair, they WERE including the two water parks right? Because if you say you can do Universal in one or two days and the four WDW parks in six or seven days, you're either moving at a snail pace at WDW or you're including Disney Quest (is that still open?), the two water parks, and a round of mini-golf. Haha..

agent86

And so you think that people much rather waste their time in line? Ok, that makes sense, not. Yes, there's shopping and parades and all that other stuff that most first timers want to do, and they'll miss those things if they are standing in line. Most people do want to hit as many attractions as possible. And who do you know would rather stand in line? If you cant see that than thats you.

No, I don't think that, nor did I even say it. In fact, I said the opposite (re-read my post please). I was disagreeing with the statement someone else made that everyone who goes to WDW does so with the goal of hitting as many attractions as possible. I don't agree with that. Not everyone goes with that goal in mind.

agent86

I might agree with that if I ever saw any indication of any kind of maintenence on the attraction. As it stands, there's always 3-D misaligned on one of the screens, always audio missing somewhere throughout the attraction, and sometimes one of the 3-D screens aren't even on.

But even if it was working completely all of the time, I still don't think it would trump attractions like The Haunted Mansion, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, etc.

And if the Indiana Jones Adventure ever made down here, especially if they improved on it, that would blow Spider-Man away.

I guess I've been very lucky in that I've never encountered any maintenance problems on the ride. I especially have never been on the ride when any of the 3D screens weren't working. In fact, I've always been impressed by the fact that maintenance seems to be a priority on this attraction in particular.

I think the only Disney attraction that really gives this one any competition is Tower of Terror. However, while Terror of Terror is easily the top Disney attraction ever built, I'd say Spiderman still has the edge. As far as Indiana Jones Adventure is concerned, I agree it's a great attraction, but I also think it's a little bit overrated. I don't think it competes with Spiderman.

agent86

I do agree that it takes more time to explore WDW than it does to explore Universal. However, I think the statement that it takes "6 or 7" to see WDW, and "1 or 2 maximum" to see Universal is an exaggeration. I wasn't saying that Disney didn't take longer. I was simply saying there is not the variance that the other poster said there was. In other words, it takes longer, yes, but not THAT much longer. I also don't agree that Universal can easily be seen in just a day. The only way to do that is to rush through it and not really experience anything.

RSoxNo1

The list was horrible. Some things were in the right place, but then you look at what was placed ahead of it.

Journey to Atlantis and Dudley Do-Right ahead of Splash Mountain was the biggest flaw I saw. That and Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't even on the list.

the-reason14

No, I don't think that, nor did I even say it. In fact, I said the opposite (re-read my post please). I was disagreeing with the statement someone else made that everyone who goes to WDW does so with the goal of hitting as many attractions as possible. I don't agree with that. Not everyone goes with that goal in mind.

Oh ok, well my bad for misreading what you said. No one can say what most people do at WDW, you can only speak for what you do at WDW. And I guess I spoke for myself when I say I try to hit as many attractions as possible and not stand in any lines. And I would think that would be the goal for most, but if its not it is the goal for me. :wave:

US 192

The Guests Experience

I for one love thrill rides, but I can't stand the clientel of Universal vs. Disney. First off, the clothing you are permitted to wear would never be accepted at Disney. I've seen bikinis, raunchy shirts, barefeet, etc. Disney does not permit that atmosphere in their parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom