Universal vs. Disney

raven

So you're saying that bad behavior should be acceptable from the employees of the company we happen to be "fans" of, but the ones at other companies should be held to a higher standard and not forgiven? That seems kind of backwards to me. Sounds to me like you're not so much a fan of Disney itself.

No. What I mean is that you can't expect people on this board to not be deffensive of Disney because it's a DISNEY FAN SITE. And I'm not a Disney fan? This coming from someone who has been complaining the whole time about Disney. Are all of your negative posts your way of promoting Universal? If so I wouldn't be surprised.

So you're saying if you have a couple Disney employee treat you like dirt on an occasion you will never return? Somehow I find that a bit hard to believe... not trying to be offensive or attacking you, but it kind of seems a lot like a double standard...

I am saying anyone. Disney has never treated me that way consistantly all day like I was at Universal. They actually like their guests.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They actually like their guests.

Which by implication means you believe Universal doesn't?

This is now beyond farcical.

Universal and Disney both offer excellent if slightly differing experiences, both have staff who go above and beyond, both have folks who can have an off day, neither park has a monopoly on good or bad staff, neither park is free from poor management decisions, both share passionate and dedicated fans, some not with loyalty not exclusive to one company.

We have,IMHO of course, exhausted this subject in its present form and its time to move on.

Again in my opinion a far more interesting debate is the construction of the new attractions at Universal, expectations and more importantly is there a what next. From that we look at what is Disney going to do to freshen up the park attractions and improving the perception of increased gate charges for declining services in the parks.

The_CEO

Ah, yet another person trying to portray Universal as a place where you "can see both parks in one day" (as though it's something that can easily be done because, after all, Universal "just doesn't have that much to see or do", right?) :rolleyes: Technically, it's possible to do all four Disney parks in one day as well (as a matter of fact, I've done it). But that doesn't mean it's the best way to see it. Nor would that be the best way to experience Universal. :rolleyes:

On multiple trips to Universal we get the One day 2 park ticket option because we DO see both parks in one day. We go to IoA, start at Hulk or Spidey and work our way around and do EVERY attraction. We eat lunch at Mythos, excellent, and continue onward. We then hop over to The Studios and do every attraction there as well.. Sad part is, we finish by 5.. The whole day isn't needed. So to say that you need two days is a little crazy. Let alone if you do use the Express pass, also done this, it leaves enough time to hop over to Seaworld. :lol:

I don't see how you could ever need multiple days at Universal.

agent86

On multiple trips to Universal we get the One day 2 park ticket option because we DO see both parks in one day. We go to IoA, start at Hulk or Spidey and work our way around and do EVERY attraction. We eat lunch at Mythos, excellent, and continue onward. We then hop over to The Studios and do every attraction there as well.. Sad part is, we finish by 5.. The whole day isn't needed. So to say that you need two days is a little crazy. Let alone if you do use the Express pass, also done this, it leaves enough time to hop over to Seaworld. :lol:

I'll repeat myself (or you could just go back and re-read my post that you quoted :rolleyes:). Of course it's possible, but it's also possible to see all four Disney parks in one day (I have done it, and that includes driving time between the four parks and taking the time to park in each one).

But the only possible way to see both Universal parks in one day is to rush through them and not stop and take any time to enjoy anything. You say that you were able to do it with enough time left over to "hop over to Seaworld"...but assuming that's even true, I'm guessing you got there around closing time.

agent86

No. What I mean is that you can't expect people on this board to not be deffensive of Disney because it's a DISNEY FAN SITE.

Yeah, I heard you the first time. :rolleyes: My point is that whether you're a fan of something or not, that shouldn't make a difference in how you treat the people who work there. You and others seem to have every sympathy when it's a Disney CM being rude or exhibiting behavior that is against what Disney is about. But if a Universal employee is "having a bad day", you're all over it and it's enough to make you say you'll never go back.

And I'm not a Disney fan?

No I don't think you sound like someone who genuinely admires Disney, because I think you miss the point on what Disney is about. One of the basic foundations of Disney's image is based on the friendliness of it's staff and their level of guest service. If you truly loved Disney, you'd be angry when you saw CMs behaving in a way that disgraces their company...not defending them and making excuses for it. Instead, you are more upset by the behavior of Universal's employees. So that kind of begs the question as to which of the two companies do you really have higher expectations for. It sounds to me like it's Universal, in which case you must believe deep down that they are the better company. You clearly don't have very high standards of Disney, since it's no big deal to you when their CMs behave rudely. If you truly loved Disney, you'd feel as I do, that that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

I am saying anyone. Disney has never treated me that way consistantly all day like I was at Universal.

Exaggerate much? :rolleyes: Seriously, you're saying that all day long, people were consistently rude to you at Universal?? Wow, if that's true, then I think you need to look at the common denominator on that one, buddy. :hammer: You make it sound as if being rude to people is part of Universal's corporate culture or something. If that were the case, how come that's never happened to me? I mean we've all been to places where you encounter the occasional rude employee, but for it to happen consistently and all day long (as you claim) you gotta wonder what you might have done to bring that out in people.

They actually like their guests.

Yeah, 'cause all other companies (except Disney of course) hate the people that bring in their revenue. :hammer::hammer:

Skip

I was just at Universal yesterday. I had a great day, got an Express Pass Plus, and went through both parks hitting some of our favorites (unfortunately Jaws and Dudley were down for refurbishment (I thought Universal doesn't do those?), and it was too cold to do Popeye). All of the employees I encountered that day were VERY friendly, had smiles on their faces, chatted it up with waiting guests, stayed in character, and were very enthusiastic without being annoying. I did not encounter a SINGLE rude employee.

Hmm. How about that, a great day at Universal.

agent86

I was just at Universal yesterday. I had a great day, got an Express Pass Plus, and went through both parks hitting some of our favorites (unfortunately Jaws and Dudley were down for refurbishment (I thought Universal doesn't do those?), and it was too cold to do Popeye). All of the employees I encountered that day were VERY friendly, had smiles on their faces, chatted it up with waiting guests, stayed in character, and were very enthusiastic without being annoying. I did not encounter a SINGLE rude employee.

Hmm. How about that, a great day at Universal.

Good thing you didn't take Raven with you. You would have been treated horribly ALL DAY LONG and CONSISTENTLY. :lol:

The_CEO

I'll repeat myself (or you could just go back and re-read my post that you quoted :rolleyes:). Of course it's possible, but it's also possible to see all four Disney parks in one day (I have done it, and that includes driving time between the four parks and taking the time to park in each one).

But the only possible way to see both Universal parks in one day is to rush through them and not stop and take any time to enjoy anything. You say that you were able to do it with enough time left over to "hop over to Seaworld"...but assuming that's even true, I'm guessing you got there around closing time.

We enjoyed every second of our day, and we did not rush our visit. What do you qualify as enjoying yourself? Standing around snapping consecutive pictures of bolts and coaster track? I'm trying to let you know that our group saw both parks in one day without rushing, and had time left over. You are under the assumption that it was a rushed visit and isn't possible to attend both parks in one day. We were able to visit all the rides and shows on the park map within a fiscal park day.

agent86

We enjoyed every second of our day, and we did not rush our visit. What do you qualify as enjoying yourself? Standing around snapping consecutive pictures of bolts and coaster track? I'm trying to let you know that our group saw both parks in one day without rushing, and had time left over. You are under the assumption that it was a rushed visit and isn't possible to attend both parks in one day. We were able to visit all the rides and shows on the park map within a fiscal park day.

So since you're not saying you had a bad time, then I assume the obvious implication here is that Universal "just doesn't have much to see or do", right? :rolleyes: It cracks me up how people here love to portray Universal in that light. The only thing that makes sense is that fans here must really consider Universal a threat to Disney, to feel the need to always have to portray as something that is so much less than it actually is.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We were able to visit all the rides and shows on the park map within a fiscal park day.

Indeed its not that difficult, infact its something we regularly do but using our Express try to stick to doing front seast on the coasters. Funnily enough you can do the same with AK and the studios, thouh you have to have a two show Fantasmic night

The_CEO

So since you're not saying you had a bad time, then I assume the obvious implication here is that Universal "just doesn't have much to see or do", right? :rolleyes: It cracks me up how people here love to portray Universal in that light. The only thing that makes sense is that fans here must really consider Universal a threat to Disney, to feel the need to always have to portray as something that is so much less than it actually is.

You seem to be infamous of switching people's words around on these forums. I never say they didn't have enough to do.. You have a huge problem with me stating our group did Universal in one day and that obviously upsets you to the point of having a huge tantrum! Oh and by the way, I wouldn't of paid the $89.99 to have a "bad time". I know what Universal has to offer, and it can be fit into a one day adventure. That's why they offer that option in their tickets..

jt04

I have AP's at both resorts and I don't think IoA even measures up to DHS much less the studios portion of Uni. Maybe once the new roller coaster and Potter is open it will be collectively better than DHS. And I think I am being objective. I don't hate Uni but it still has some work to do reach Disney standards.

agent86

I have AP's at both resorts and I don't think IoA even measures up to DHS much less the studios portion of Uni. Maybe once the new roller coaster and Potter is open it will be collectively better than DHS. And I think I am being objective. I don't hate Uni but it still has some work to do reach Disney standards.

DHS is a mess. There is no cohesiveness to the theme of the park, and it's as though they just plop in attractions wherever they will physically fit, with no consideration for how they fit within any theme. The one thing it has going for it is the fact that it has the best Disney attraction ever built (Tower of Terror). Were it not for that one attraction, I could easily skip DHS on most of my trips. That was probably the worst example of a Disney park to hold up against either of Universal's parks. The fact that this is the park you chose as your example of Disney's standards shows you have a blind Disney bias.

agent86

I know what Universal has to offer, and it can be fit into a one day adventure. That's why they offer that option in their tickets..

Actually, that's not why they offer it. They offer it because the two parks are close enough to each other geographically, that it's very easy to park hop back and forth between the two. This is something that was ingenious in their design, which Disney didn't think to do until they copied the idea in California. If Disney had two of their theme parks in Florida that close to each other, they'd offer a one day park hopper too. With the current layout, it makes no sense, financially, for them to do so. It's pretty simple economics actually. If you only have one day to visit WDW, and you have the option to park hop, you're very likely going to do it. The problem, however, is that most people would be spending their time hitting all the rides they could in one park, then hopping in their car to do the same thing at the next park. This leaves very little time for souvenir shopping and eating in the parks' restaurants. At Universal, guests just have to walk from one park to the other, and it's an easy walk. The infrastructure at Universal was very well thought out and very well put together.

The_CEO

The infrastructure at Universal was very well thought out and very well put together.

But leaves no room for actual EXPANSION versus the land Disney owns.

Universal is surrounded by residential and businesses which keeps them limited to how much they can expand in the long run, a lot like Disneyland. Also Universal couldn't make it far apart even if they WANTED too! They only have so many acres to cram in as much as possible.

agent86

But leaves no room for actual EXPANSION versus the land Disney owns.

Universal is surrounded by residential and businesses which keeps them limited to how much they can expand in the long run, a lot like Disneyland. Also Universal couldn't make it far apart even if they WANTED too! They only have so many acres to cram in as much as possible.

Universal doesn't have any long-term goals to expand to the size of the Disney property. The key phrase in your statement is "even if they WANTED too" (in other words, they DIDN'T want to or ever have any plans to). You seem to realize they have no desire to do it, so bringing it up is kind of a moot point, don't you think? :hammer:In fact, by including the words, "even if they WANTED to", you're actually giving stronger credence to my point that Universal's infrastructure is ingenious (aka, they did exactly what they DID want to do...very well planned). Now if we were reading articles all the time about how Universal executives were wishing they had more land, or that they wished they had designed the resort differently, that would be a different story. Meanwhile, Disney on the other hand, has actually sold off pieces of their land. What does that tell you?

raven

Yeah, I heard you the first time. :rolleyes: My point is that whether you're a fan of something or not, that shouldn't make a difference in how you treat the people who work there.

How do you come up with THAT as your point from this reply?:

What's funny is that if these were Disney CMs that you were talking about, people would be jumping all over the post saying things... :rolleyes:

That's not the point of that reply. The point of THAT reply is that you are upset that people on this site defend Disney. It doesn't have anything to do with how people are treated at work.

"No I don't think you sound like someone who genuinely admires Disney, because I think you miss the point on what Disney is about. One of the basic foundations of Disney's image is based on the friendliness of it's staff and their level of guest service. If you truly loved Disney"..." If you truly loved Disney, you'd feel as I do, that that kind of behavior is unacceptable."

The funny part about that is that I probably know way more than you do about the company. :lol: You don't know me so you're accusations about me are wrong...again.

Exaggerate much? :rolleyes: Seriously, you're saying that all day long, people were consistently rude to you at Universal?? Wow, if that's true, then I think you need to look at the common denominator on that one, buddy. :hammer:

Again, go back and look at my original post. I explained that things happened all day long while we were there. And not just to me but to my family.

(agent86) You seem to be infamous of switching people's words around on these forums.

No kidding. If you are going to "quote" someone than do it. Don't switch their words around to make your post sound good because it doesn't work. You've done that to nearly all of my replys and it just makes you look stupid, "buddy."

raven

They have extra land?
(Did I get it right?)

Yes. A lot of the land in WDW is also reserved for preservation as well so they would never develope it. That doesn't mean that "Disney isn't doing anything with all that land" as some members think.

agent86

They have extra land?
(Did I get it right?)

Not quite.

A little too much extra land actually. Now granted, I'm sure they made a tidy profit from selling off land that they got for dirt (no pun intended) cheap in the 1960's, but Disney's primary business isn't really about real estate. There's nothing to indicate that when Disney bought the land in the first place, they had any intention of holding onto it for few decades and then selling it. Universal, on the other hand, hasn't over-purchased land, and there's nothing to indicate that they wish they had bought more.

Like I said...Great planning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom