Universal vs. Disney

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
500 posts, has anyone changed their opinion on anything? :shrug:

Yes I have, I was totally wrong, and Ive actually had a ________ time when Ive been to Universal and it was my mind playing tricks that lead me to believe anything could possibly fail to be perfect at Disney.

Im of to flagellate myself with a wet rolled up park map while singing its a small world. So spank my ares and call me Denise.

Mr.EPCOT

I guess I've been very lucky in that I've never encountered any maintenance problems on the ride. I especially have never been on the ride when any of the 3D screens weren't working. In fact, I've always been impressed by the fact that maintenance seems to be a priority on this attraction in particular.

I think the only Disney attraction that really gives this one any competition is Tower of Terror. However, while Terror of Terror is easily the top Disney attraction ever built, I'd say Spiderman still has the edge. As far as Indiana Jones Adventure is concerned, I agree it's a great attraction, but I also think it's a little bit overrated. I don't think it competes with Spiderman.

Yeah, I've been on it a few times when the 3-D is so misaligned it actually hurts my eyes a little. The Spider-Signal seems to work 50/50, and when it does, you can always see it moving back into position afterwards. I think I've even been on it when the ride vehicle doesn't move except for traveling through the attraction.

It's an amazing ride, I love it, but I maintain that at least the Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion edge out. I think Spider-Man could integrate a little more variety of effects. I also believe that a slight negative for me is that it is set in a cartoon/CGI Spider-Man world as opposed to a "real" live-action world, which I think would pack more of a "wow" factor. I know a lot of people are fans of the cartoon series, but I think having it live-action would heighten your sense of immersion into its world.

agent86

I also believe that a slight negative for me is that it is set in a cartoon/CGI Spider-Man world as opposed to a "real" live-action world, which I think would pack more of a "wow" factor. I know a lot of people are fans of the cartoon series, but I think having it live-action would heighten your sense of immersion into its world.

I can see that, although I have to admit, I actually like how it's a cartoon world that you're in. I also like that everything from the queue to all of the "real" props throughout the ride have a cartoon look to them. I wouldn't like it if it was sort of half and half, where it was part "real world" and part "cartoon world". That's one thing I don't like about a couple attractions at Disney. Namely, Everest (i.e. the cartoon projection of the yeti ruins what little illusion they were starting to build) and Mission Space (i.e. the computer animation looks too fake at some points, and that's distracting).

GothMickey

I can see that, although I have to admit, I actually like how it's a cartoon world that you're in. I also like that everything from the queue to all of the "real" props throughout the ride have a cartoon look to them. I wouldn't like it if it was sort of half and half, where it was part "real world" and part "cartoon world". That's one thing I don't like about a couple attractions at Disney. Namely, Everest (i.e. the cartoon projection of the yeti ruins what little illusion they were starting to build) and Mission Space (i.e. the computer animation looks too fake at some points, and that's distracting).

I noticed mostly everything in IOA, except for the Jurassic Park area, is themed to cartoon characters. The Spiderman ride works better, IMO, as a cartoon.

GothMickey

Is that not down to the park being designed before the films????

I would imagine so. I am sure if they wanted to, they could do a live action movie for the attraction, but, I don't think it would fit right. Marvel Island is designed to the comics and animated characters, not live action. I think the animated Spiderman movie is perfect. Maybe a slight update, but, nothing too major. It really is perfect as is.

Frank Stallone

I for one love thrill rides, but I can't stand the clientel of Universal vs. Disney. First off, the clothing you are permitted to wear would never be accepted at Disney. I've seen bikinis, raunchy shirts, barefeet, etc. Disney does not permit that atmosphere in their parks.

It's no secret that Universal attracts a different breed

pheneix

Quote:
Originally Posted by US 192
I for one love thrill rides, but I can't stand the clientel of Universal vs. Disney. First off, the clothing you are permitted to wear would never be accepted at Disney. I've seen bikinis, raunchy shirts, barefeet, etc. Disney does not permit that atmosphere in their parks.

As someone who has worn a shirt with a slightly profane joke across the front all day at the Magic Kingdom, I can attest that Disney's standards and practices enforcement is spotty at best.

Sad part is that I did it just to see how long the shirt would last before someone stopped me. The only cast members that took notice of it just laughed at it.

jt04

As someone who has worn a shirt with a slightly profane joke across the front all day at the Magic Kingdom, I can attest that Disney's standards and practices enforcement is spotty at best.

Sad part is that I did it just to see how long the shirt would last before someone stopped me. The only cast members that took notice of it just laughed at it.

Wow, you must be so proud.

PS---What was the message?

nerdboyrockstar

It's no secret that Universal attracts a different breed

Don't insult Universal visitors. They visit Disney too. You think the elite visit Disney? Really? Why don't you work the Splash Mountain photo viewing and see the type of people who visit Disney. I promise you you'll see more than bikinis and bare feet.

GothMickey

Don't insult Universal visitors. They visit Disney too. You think the elite visit Disney? Really? Why don't you work the Splash Mountain photo viewing and see the type of people who visit Disney. I promise you you'll see more than bikinis and bare feet.

Yes, we have all seen the pictures online.

I think what he meant was, not that Disney brings in only the elite, but, Universal appeals more to teenagers, who are more likely to wear profanity on their shirts and to walk barefoot. But, he'd be wrong since I have seen plenty of adults in Disney walking barefoot and wearing profanity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom