Universal vs. Disney

Captain Chaos

You are correct (finally, even though there's an unhealthy dose of sarcasm in this reply) that Universal does care about it's guests. As for saying things like that NEVER happen in the parks, you're wrong. Things do happen at Universal, rides close, you encounter some rude people, but guess what? Same things happen at Disney, and even moreso than Universal because it's bigger, right? More rides to break down and more rude CM's to get your panties in a wad, but yet that doesn't bother you one bit at Disney, why is that?

Honestly, cause I never yet ran into a rude, obnoxious CM who put me down for a shirt I was wearing, or spoke down to me when a ride failed to work properly..

I have had rides shut down for one reason or another in Disney.. never phased me... Actually, when I have been to Universal, closed rides there never phased me either... It is the rude and obnoxious people working Universal that left me sour this time around...

Captain Chaos

Universal at one point sent several Florida residents (including myself) 2 of their 1 day 2 park tickets in the mail, free, no strings attached. Why on earth would they do that? Because when you can get in the parks for free, you'll be more likely to spend more money in there knowing that you didn't have to spend it on admission. Disney is starting to get desperate by offering this cheap gimmick and turning it into a themed celebration.

Cause they are desperate for business and need to beg people to come to their parks????

I think Disney can afford to use cheap gimmicks, why?? CAUSE IT WORKS!!!! Free Universal tickets obviously didn't to much to increase their business...

Wonder what your feelings would be if Universal decided to offer people free admission on their birthdays.. Wait, you said they already offered free admission... Why wasn't that a cheap gimmick to get you into their park?? Cause Universal did it??? Hmm, sounds like a cheap gimmick to me.. Disney gives you free admission during your birthday, that's cheap... Universal offers free admission cause their attendance was/is sagging, and it is an awesome plan?? Talking out of both sides of your mouth there...

And I would hardly call Disney desperate for guests... 1) Bad economy = less travel... Disney is trying to entice people who may not take vacation during bad economic times to their parks... 2) Numbers don't lie... 17 million visitors to Magic Kingdom... 6 million to Universal.. Believe me, Disney does not need to run cheap gimmicks.. They do cause, ready.. IT WORKS!!!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Lack of new attractions since opening would hardly have helped Universal IOA visitors and no additional attractions at the studios. Which is the sort of criticism levelled at Disney currently.

I think Disney can afford to use cheap gimmicks, why?? CAUSE IT WORKS!!!!

Of course it works, the general public falls for cheap gimmicks easily. Of course Disney can afford to use a cheap gimmick, they could also afford to do an actual worthwhile gimmick but they don't and go for the cheapest way to draw you in and strip you of your cash.

Free Universal tickets obviously didn't to much to increase their business...

It actually did, there was an increase in AP sales during that time, nice try.

Captain Chaos

Of course it works, the general public falls for cheap gimmicks easily. Of course Disney can afford to use a cheap gimmick, they could also afford to do an actual worthwhile gimmick but they don't and go for the cheapest way to draw you in and strip you of your cash.

It actually did, there was an increase in AP sales during that time, nice try.

yet they manage 6 million guests a year??? didn't do to much for their business... nice try... spinning it to make Universal sound like they are truly superb is not working...

SirGoofy

And this is why these threads always end up as mud fights. Disney fans can't admit that Universal does a lot of things great, some better than Disney, and Uni fans can't admit that Disney is top dog, and the best at what they do(although they are slipping).

Let's face it people BOTH resorts are at the top of the industry.

Disneyson 1

O.K., but I've been restraining myself from getting into this flame war, but I have just one thing to say.

On dxer07002's point, I think that he was trying to say that there are more people that are not Disney CM quality at Uni. That's all. I, for one, agree with that statement. I think that I can honestly say that employees at Uni. never do me wrong, yet I HAVE seen them on their phones, virtually sleeping at the ride controls, and most of the time they're not smiling (again, generalization). I'm not saying that I ever had a particularly bad experience with them, I just can tell they're not at Disney level. There,

Uni. has been behind in everything for a VERY LONG TIME. O.K., I do agree that Uni. Studios and IoE are very good parks, yet they're lacking in many departments.

-New rides. Yes, I know about Simpsons (P.S. It's not really a new ride, but it's close enough, so I'll let it slide...) and HP, but really, Uni. hasn't made any new things in a very long time. Besides the refurb. that was Disaster!, nothing has been done there in a very long time. I mean, a good refurb. was the only thing that Disney had done in a long time, you can GUARANTEE that there would be fanboi riots. At least Disney makes CONSTANT refurbs like those in HM, SSE, and other lesser ones like Splash, plus mini-attractions like KPWSA, Innoventions, & The Nemo attractions and various new ideas like the Design-A-Tee store. Uni. has had very little of this type of improvement.

- Shows and Parades. Besides the holiday things (Christmas, Halloween) and the (in my opinion) weak Uni. 360, Uni. has NO celebrations, shows, and/or parades. I just think that's pretty bad. I mean, we always bash celebrations here, but we take them for granted, as they keep the parks from becoming stale. I think that Uni. really suffers from the lack of celebration. I don't think that I've ever seen a special promotion, special decor, special merch. or anything of that nature except for the holidays. That's bad. Plus, no parade,no nighttime parade, not too many street shows and very very little character interaction.

Those are my 2 little points.

Disclaimer: I am FAR FROM a Uni. hater. In fact, on my next visit I'm going because not only of HP, but because ther'e not been a legit reason for me to go in the past 3-5 years. Yes, they are remedying these situations. They're creating new rides (Yes, HP and RRR) and they've been getting better at entertainment (Universal 360, Holiday Parades) And events (Halloween Horror Nights, Grinchmas), but my final point is that there's not enough stuff.

P.S. I agree with SirGoofy.

And this is why these threads always end up as mud fights. Disney fans can't admit that Universal does a lot of things great, some better than Disney, and Uni fans can't admit that Disney is top dog, and the best at what they do(although they are slipping).

Let's face it people BOTH resorts are at the top of the industry.

Exactly. Both parks have their own set of pros and cons and are enjoyed by millions.

SirGoofy

Exactly. Both parks have their own set of pros and cons and are enjoyed by millions.

Yup, and in all honesty, they need each other to feed off of. I highly doubt Universal Orlando would have ever existed if Disney was right next door, and Disney wouldn't be nearly as big if Universal never came about.

Captain Chaos

Yup, and in all honesty, they need each other to feed off of. I highly doubt Universal Orlando would have ever existed if Disney was right next door, and Disney wouldn't be nearly as big if Universal never came about.

Maybe we wouldn't have gotten DHS and that mess.. lol...

-New rides. Yes, I know about Simpsons (P.S. It's not really a new ride, but it's close enough, so I'll let it slide...) and HP, but really, Uni. hasn't made any new things in a very long time. Besides the refurb. that was Disaster!, nothing has been done there in a very long time. I mean, a good refurb. was the only thing that Disney had done in a long time, you can GUARANTEE that there would be fanboi riots. At least Disney makes CONSTANT refurbs like those in HM, SSE, and other lesser ones like Splash, plus mini-attractions like KPWSA, Innoventions, & The Nemo attractions and various new ideas like the Design-A-Tee store. Uni. has had very little of this type of improvement.

Universal doesn't have the space to design new rides, so they'll have to remove one of the older ones to put in a newer one. The Mummy was supposted to go into another Soundstage, keeping Kongfrontation, but the soundstage that Mummy was going into was too small, and Kong's was just the right size, and so they removed Kong for Mummy. Sure it upsetted many fans of Kong, but they do love the attraction that has replaced it better. Disney's constant refurbs and new addtions aren't worthy of saying that they were better than what they replaced, IMO. However, you do see Universal trying to bring new things to their parks, even if they have to remove most of a section of IOA in order to do so. They are also adding several new resteraunts and shops at City Walk, but people aren't as excited about a quick grab and go burger bar featuring Burger King as they are about a place where you make your own T-shirt with limited artwork (which I'm suer they'll probably add more when people demand it.) If Universal recieves the same amount of attendence as just only the MK park alone, then I'm sure you'll see Universal do a LOT more for their parks, and yes I do agree that Universal is lacking in certain areas as you said, and I know that they will make an effort into working those out.

- Shows and Parades. Besides the holiday things (Christmas, Halloween) and the (in my opinion) weak Uni. 360, Uni. has NO celebrations, shows, and/or parades. I just think that's pretty bad. I mean, we always bash celebrations here, but we take them for granted, as they keep the parks from becoming stale. I think that Uni. really suffers from the lack of celebration. I don't think that I've ever seen a special promotion, special decor, special merch. or anything of that nature except for the holidays. That's bad. Plus, no parade,no nighttime parade, not too many street shows and very very little character interaction.

Universal's neighbors complain about the noise, and therefore can't have great nighttime shows anymore. Back before City Walk, they used to have the Dynamite Spectacular Stunt Show, which was their nightly show that took place in the lagoon, and was a great show that put you in the middle of an action/suspense movie. I can't remember what the real reason why the had to stop it, but my guess was the neighbors were complaining about the noise. This is why 360 isn't as big or grand as people would have liked, especially when they were trying to compare it to a Disney nightly show, which obviously 360 is not. Even 360 is too loud for the neighbors, and was shown for a limited time during the busy seasons, and not every night. Disney has the luxury of having parks out in the middle of nowhere where they can get away with these nightly shows without disturbing it's neighbors. As far as parades go, I wouldn't want to see a parade at Universal, that's just not something you'd see at Universal EXCEPT during Mardi Gras or Christmas where they bring down floats and balloons from Macy's Parade. Universal did use to feature a LOT of walk around face characters and animated characters, but had to cut back since they weren't getting enough attendance unfortunately. I'm sure they do come back out and play during peak seasons. I know I've seen some stilt walker characters around IOA's Port of Entry, and cool raptor skelleton stilts in JP.

And so do I :)

Skip

O.K., but I've been restraining myself from getting into this flame war, but I have just one thing to say.

On dxer07002's point, I think that he was trying to say that there are more people that are not Disney CM quality at Uni. That's all. I, for one, agree with that statement. I think that I can honestly say that employees at Uni. never do me wrong, yet I HAVE seen them on their phones, virtually sleeping at the ride controls, and most of the time they're not smiling (again, generalization). I'm not saying that I ever had a particularly bad experience with them, I just can tell they're not at Disney level. There,

Uni. has been behind in everything for a VERY LONG TIME. O.K., I do agree that Uni. Studios and IoE are very good parks, yet they're lacking in many departments.

Those are my 2 little points.

Disclaimer: I am FAR FROM a Uni. hater. In fact, on my next visit I'm going because not only of HP, but because ther'e not been a legit reason for me to go in the past 3-5 years. Yes, they are remedying these situations. They're creating new rides (Yes, HP and RRR) and they've been getting better at entertainment (Universal 360, Holiday Parades) And events (Halloween Horror Nights, Grinchmas), but my final point is that there's not enough stuff.

I've been biting my tongue, but this is getting ridiculous.

The Universal Employees are just as good as Disney's. They're both human. They both get paid minimum wage. They both receive courtesy and safety training. Explain to me the difference. And honestly, I can recall maybe one or two instances of a Universal employee doing something that made me think "An employee shouldn't be doing that on stage." At Disney, I've had that experience at least a dozen times. They're both human, they both mistakes. Accept it. Disney's employees are no better just because you'd like to imagine they are.

I find it laughable you cite Innoventions as a new attraction. I'm going to rattle off some attractions Universal has added in the past five or so years... Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast, Shrek 4D, Revenge of the Mummy, The Simpsons Ride, Fear Factor Live, and The Seuss Trolley Ride. For five years, that's pretty damn good. And Universal is also planning on adding a huge new coaster as well as a whole new land by next year! And, you also claim that Disney gives "constant" refurbishments to its attractions. Haunted Mansion was allowed to sit dilapidated for years, Space Mountain is getting a downsized one, Dinosaur has seen better days, Everest (their supposedly 'biggest and best new ride'!) is practically broken, Test Track is falling apart, Ellen's Energy Adventure is... well... woefully outdated, Maelstrom looked like crap last time I rode it, Peter Pan and Snow White are in terrible condition, and Buzz is FINALLY getting a refurbishment. Please, where are their refurbishments? The ones Disney actually performs to their full potential (see, Haunted Mansion and the first half of Spaceship Earth) are generally fantastic, but often they are so money-hungry that they either invest a half-baked budget into a refurb (Pirates or second half of Spaceship Earth anyone?), or completely ignore the attraction altogether.

Now, Universal is nowhere near flawless on this either. Jurassic Park seriously needs a good cleaning up (which it is rumored to receive soon), and Dudley Do Right needs a good one as well (and is entering a refurbishment today, actually). Popeye just came out of a refurbishment, and Jaws is receiving one at the end of the month. Mummy is rumored to geta nice one after Rip Ride Rockit opens (ie the pressure of the park's only coaster is removed). The parks' play areas (especially If I Ran the Zoo) is refurbished semi-regularly, as are the park's restaurants (Mel's recently went down). All I'm saying is Universal does have a strong consistency with their refurbishments in most cases... both companies tend to avoid dilapidating attractions on certain cases. That's life. But you can't just call Universal out on it when Disney does it just as much themselves, if not more.

Also, involving the Design-A-Tee innovation... what innovation? I can do that at home with a few clicks of a mouse with my own images for MUCH MUCH less. Universal HAS been having this type of innovation - please see The Rising Star, the newest club at Citywalk which is basically a giant karaoke paradise - full bands and backup singers. The club is highly rated and praised for its elaborate approach.

The lack of parades are due to the lack of guest walkway space, I'm guessing. They used to hold character parades, and decided it wasn't working. Guess what? I prefer parks that have no parades most of the time. I hate it when the ropes come out at Disney and I have to completely redirect my route in order to escape thronging masses and being trapped by giant floats. A parade every once in a while (Macy's and Mardi Gras) is fine because it's a special occasion, and when Universal puts on a parade, they're typically excellent... they just don't due to the lack of guest space. I mean seriously, can you imagine a parade happening every day in the Studios or, even worse, Islands?

The lack of celebration is due to the Universal's neighbors' proximity... they don't like noise. Thus, Universal 360 had to be neutered a bit except on special occasions. Before 360 Islands had an excellent themed fireworks show, and back in the 90's the Studios had the Dynamite Stuntacular. Both were on par with the stuff Disney puts off, they just kind of have their hands tied here. There are plenty of street shows... see Street Breakerz, Blues Brothers, various streetmosphere, Seuss Story Readings, Magic Shows, various musical acts, and so on... I don't know what you're talking about, they're all there.

And I agree that Grinchmas is great and Halloween Horror Nights is absolutely phenomenal. It sure ain't Disney, but that's what makes it so incredibly great. The level of detail, depth, character development and story that goes into creating that event is astounding. Disney should take a note or two...

My 2 Cents...

EDITED TO ADD:

Universal also regularly upgrades and refreshes attractions, much like Disney does. Please see Disaster, Poseidon's Fury, and Horror Make-Up Show (which is rumored to get another upgrade soon thanks to the new Wolfman movie).

Universal, actually, has plethoras of Universal costumed characters. I went to Islands on a Monday in October (definitely not a busy day) and took a stroll through Seuss Landing - I saw The Cat in the Hat, The Grinch, and the Two Things playing perfectly in character with two little girls. It was such a sweet sight to see such character interaction on such a slow day. I also recall seeing Woody Woodpecker, Betty Boop, and Popeye over at Toon Lagoon, the Super Heroes over in Marvel, and some stilt walkers/atmospheric characters in Port of Entry. All on a Monday in October. (That was 08, by the way.)

raven

Nope. Do you read through all of our replies as carefully too? Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes:

I just read yours because I love them so much. :lol:

It is a really cheap gimmick, and you know it. Offering ONE free ticket for the birthday person at ONE park on their birthday. This person won't be travelling alone, so everyone else needs to get their own tickets. Chances are they're going to stay for more than one day, so they'll have to find a place to stay, and add a few more days to their tickets, including getting a ticket for the lucky birthday person. They'll have to eat and celebrate their birthday in the parks, and probably buy a photopass picture or several, and souvenirs. Now, how is only offering ONE ticket to ONE park NOT cheap?

That's called business. Do I really need to explain economics?

Universal's neighbors complain about the noise, and therefore can't have great nighttime shows anymore.

You can have good nightime shows without the loud fireworks that set off car alarms and cause dogs to bark for a half hour.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Universal doesn't have the space to design new rides, so they'll have to remove one of the older ones to put in a newer one.

Isnt it interesting that with all the land Disney has they always remove one of the older rides to make way for a new one? With the exception of Everest I do not think there has been a single ride at Disney World built in the past 12 years that was built from the ground up without replacing a previous attraction.

The Mummy was supposted to go into another Soundstage, keeping Kongfrontation, but the soundstage that Mummy was going into was too small, and Kong's was just the right size, and so they removed Kong for Mummy. Sure it upsetted many fans of Kong, but they do love the attraction that has replaced it better. Disney's constant refurbs and new addtions aren't worthy of saying that

Exactly they replaced it with something better. The way Walt Disney would have done it.

Universal's neighbors complain about the noise, and therefore can't have great nighttime shows anymore. Back before City Walk, they used to have the Dynamite Spectacular Stunt Show, which was their nightly show that took place in the lagoon, and was a great show that put you in the middle of an action/suspense movie. I can't remember what the real reason why the had to stop it, but my guess was the neighbors were complaining about the noise. This is why 360 isn't as big or grand as people would have liked, especially when they were trying to compare it to a Disney nightly show, which obviously 360 is not. Even 360 is too loud for the neighbors, and was shown for a limited time during the busy seasons, and not every night. Disney has the luxury of having parks out in the middle of nowhere where they can get away with these nightly shows without disturbing it's neighbors.

Disneyland has the exact same problem yet they always find ways around it. I'm sure Universal can too.

Captain Chaos

Isnt it interesting that with all the land Disney has they always remove one of the older rides to make way for a new one? With the exception of Everest I do not think there has been a single ride at Disney World built in the past 12 years that was built from the ground up without replacing a previous attraction.

Too be techincal, Animal Kingdom, Soarin, Mission Space... all built from ground up.. I know MS replaced Horizons, but the show building is entirely new.. as is Soarin.. if Little Mermaid comes to MK, that will be build ground up...

Exactly they replaced it with something better. The way Walt Disney would have done it.

When Disney replaces a wasting attraction, they are being cheap... When Universal does it, it is because they don't have the room.. It is called a double standard...

Disneyland has the exact same problem yet they always find ways around it. I'm sure Universal can too.

I am sure Universal can... They have a huge chunk of land sitting empty... A friend who worked there said a new hotel was supposed to go up there, but those plans have been scrapped... So, with a huge chuck of land, easily able to fit a third park, the land sits empty... But, they don't need a third park since they cannot fill the two they have...

Too be techincal, Animal Kingdom, Soarin, Mission Space... all built from ground up.. I know MS replaced Horizons, but the show building is entirely new.. as is Soarin.. if Little Mermaid comes to MK, that will be build ground up...

Even though Soarin' was built outside of the Land, Soarin' replaced Food Rocks, which replaced Kitchen Kaberet, if you want to be technical ;)

Universal actually has built NEW attractions without tearing out something old. MIB, T2:3D was added, Curious George Goes to Town play area and ball factory, but that one actually took over where the Bates Motel and Psycho House used to stand. I do miss being able to see the Pyscho House on the hill from Fieval's playland when I was little, it was a cool yet creepy view.

I am sure Universal can... They have a huge chunk of land sitting empty... A friend who worked there said a new hotel was supposed to go up there, but those plans have been scrapped... So, with a huge chuck of land, easily able to fit a third park, the land sits empty... But, they don't need a third park since they cannot fill the two they have...

Yup, those plans might happen, but not anytime soon. There was also rumored to be an added wing to Royal Pacific featuring Harry Potter themed rooms with wand activated things. You'll be able to get a wand from the parks to use as part of their interactive experience to be played all throughout the new land. There really isn't that much room for a 3rd gate, although it would be nice. They would need to find a way to connect it with sidewalks and the waterway and reroute the I4 off/on ramps. There was another rumor that they'll move Wet N' Wild to that space so that it's actually on their property. Haven't heard anything recently about it, but I'm sure they'll find a way to put it to good use.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member

:rolleyes: That land is not big enough for another park, plus it would be quite hard to connect with the USF/IOA/CW strip. It's being reserved for another hotel (plans that have NOT been scrapped) and the probable move of Wet 'n Wild to the area.

Captain Chaos

Even though Soarin' was built outside of the Land, Soarin' replaced Food Rocks, which replaced Kitchen Kaberet, if you want to be technical ;)

That's true.. :) since I was being technical...

Universal actually has built NEW attractions without tearing out something old. MIB, T2:3D was added, Curious George Goes to Town play area and ball factory, but that one actually took over where the Bates Motel and Psycho House used to stand. I do miss being able to see the Pyscho House on the hill from Fieval's playland when I was little, it was a cool yet creepy view.

Never thought of those.. I figured they part of the original blue plans for the park.. Thanks for letting us know that though..

Yup, those plans might happen, but not anytime soon. There was also rumored to be an added wing to Royal Pacific featuring Harry Potter themed rooms with wand activated things. You'll be able to get a wand from the parks to use as part of their interactive experience to be played all throughout the new land. There really isn't that much room for a 3rd gate, although it would be nice. They would need to find a way to connect it with sidewalks and the waterway and reroute the I4 off/on ramps. There was another rumor that they'll move Wet N' Wild to that space so that it's actually on their property. Haven't heard anything recently about it, but I'm sure they'll find a way to put it to good use.

Wet N Wild over there makes sense... As far as the hotel, my friend said he heard it was supposed to be an egyptian themed hotel, but they scrapped that idea... I guess if the plan is a Harry Potter themed hotel, then the plans were changed, not scrapped... And if we are talking about the same area, it looks rather huge to me, enough to fit a third gate in... Unless I am not remembering something in that area making it small...

RSoxNo1

I think the argument that many are failing to make is that although Universal is adding major attractions at both of it's parks and Disney is seemingly doing nothing is that Universal is in a situation where they have to play catch up. If the parks were equal, in any capacity than Disney would need something to offset this additions.

Although Monster's Inc seems to be the next major attraction going to the parks, it hasn't been announced yet, so until then we have to assume it's not happening. I think if Universal or Islands of Adventure exceed the attendance at the Animal Kingdom or DHS in 09 or 10 you will definitely see a new major attraction added if it hasn't been greenlit by that point already. We may find out by the end of this year that several new things are on the horizon for 2012-2014.

Captain Chaos

I think the argument that many are failing to make is that although Universal is adding major attractions at both of it's parks and Disney is seemingly doing nothing is that Universal is in a situation where they have to play catch up. If the parks were equal, in any capacity than Disney would need something to offset this additions.

Although Monster's Inc seems to be the next major attraction going to the parks, it hasn't been announced yet, so until then we have to assume it's not happening. I think if Universal or Islands of Adventure exceed the attendance at the Animal Kingdom or DHS in 09 or 10 you will definitely see a new major attraction added if it hasn't been greenlit by that point already. We may find out by the end of this year that several new things are on the horizon for 2012-2014.

Thanks for posting this.. I was trying to say that before, just really didn't come out right... That's what I get for trying to post a coherent comment while juggling my work at my job.. LOL...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom