Universal vs. Disney

Captain Chaos

Disney = long standby queues due to FP, Universal = shorter queue time and hardly anyone in Express except those staying on property, or those that really do want to waste money to wait in a shorter line.

Shorter Universal lines has more to do with low attendance than a better FP system...

What about World Showcase? Toontown? Heck, even Jungle Cruise used to open at 10 when the parks open at 9 (not sure if they ever went back to opening at 10 again.) Also, Disney has considered and sure will shorten hours at AK, open Africa and Asia an hour or two LATER than a later opening time, and close the parksk an hour earlier. Universal hasn't cut hours (what you're considering to be shorter hours have been part of their normal yearly schedule) or have attractions that open after the park does. Jaws is the only exception.

During peak seasons aren't both parks open early and close late??? I thought it was only during offseason did Disney and Universal close earlier, with Epcot being the only park open to 9 PM?

Oh really? That's news to me. Universal has always offered great deals to get you to visit, whereas Disney offers cheap gimmicks such as the thought you might actually win a hat or a keychain, and get to see a reused parade under a new name and consider those 'new additions' enough to raise prices even more. Universal is the better deal IMO.

Sure, offering free stuff is a gimmick.. It is a gimmick a lot of companies use to drive up business... There was a time, and it still may happen, when banks gave free clocks or other items just for opening an account with them.. A cheap gimmick, but a successful one.. And success is the only factor...

Universal offers gimmicks too.. But, their success factor with them seems to be only minimal... I don't have the hard numbersin front of me, but, with offers of cheaper park tickets, and a GIMMICK of charging for FP unless you stay on property obviously hasn't resonated with the larger general public... Their attendance figures would be a lot higher, doubled I dare say, if Universal gave more bang for their buck...

Captain Chaos

Im always open to learning, so please pass on your extensive knowledge.

There is not enough time in the day to teach you what you don't know..

I mean, it will take a lifetime to teach you that there is a life outside of trying to put people down on the internet just to make yourself feel better...

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Fast Pass at Disney = Free, Express Pass at Universal = $40

Disney parks open right now at 9AM with all rides operating (unless they are under rehab), Universal opens at 10AM with a lot of rides not operating until noon.

Disney parks are open to at least 6PM and some parks later right now, Universal closes promtly at 6PM.

All of this and it's still more expensive to visit Universal than Disney this month. Even with 'quality' it just isn't worth it to me personally.
:brick:

When the hell did Universal start opening at 10am? :rolleyes: Sure, USH usually does... but USF/IOA open at 9am, just like WDW parks.

I'm pretty sure Jaws is the only ride to open after the rest of the park does, and even then it's only 10am and not noon as you claim. If the others weren't open they were probably down. There's nothing that can be done about that.

As for park hours, it's freakin' JANUARY. Typically the hours are no different than the ones for, say, Hollywood Studios.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
There is not enough time in the day to teach you what you don't know..

I mean, it will take a lifetime to teach you that there is a life outside of trying to put people down on the internet just to make yourself feel better...

You shouldnt assume others have the same motivation for posting you do.

But nice attempt at a side step.

sknydave

Lets see, when I went it was MIB, Jaws, Disaster, Twister, and ET leaving Simpsons and The Mummy to be crowded until the others opened. Also most of the shops and restaurants weren't open either until noon. Kinda left us with only 2 places to go. I don't know that this happens all the time (friends have also stated this) but it did when we were there and the employees acted like it was normal.

Universal isn't the only place that I've experienced this at though. Cedar Point in Ohio is notorious for not opening most of their 17 coasters until 2PM when the park opens at 9Am. Yet they still charge full price too. :(

The only ride I have ever seen open later is Jaws. I have never, ever, ever seen the rides you mentioned not open. I've been to Universal at least once every 2-3 weeks for a couple of years now.

Pete C

I am wondering how people equate a lack of attendance with two of the top 15 ranked theme parks in the world in attendance. Expect that ranking to jump even higher with the new land and two e-ticket attractions at the parks.

SirGoofy

I am wondering how people equate a lack of attendance with two of the top 15 ranked theme parks in the world in attendance. Expect that ranking to jump even higher with the new land and two e-ticket attractions at the parks.

I just pray that HP turns out well. Not only because I love HP, but I think that will either give WDW's management the swift kick it needs, and if not that it will give Corporate the swift kick it needs to fire those guys.

Captain Chaos

Easy: 8 of the top 10 world wide parks are Disney parks.. In 2007, 17 million people entered the gates of Magic Kingdom in Orlando..

Universal Orlando doesn't crack the top 10... Attendance figures: 6.2 million.. more than 10 million LESS than MK... In fact, that figure is less than any of the 4 Disney parks... IOA is 15th.. numbers: 5.43 million...

How many more millions will HP add? Anything right now is a guess... We'll have to wait and see...

And remember when IOA was going to boost Universal's attendance? I don't think that happened too much... So, until HP actually opens and SHOWS it boosts attendance, anything is just a guess right now...

I would say it is more impressive to have 8 parks in the top 10, than have 3 parks in the top 15... Are we lowering standards so much just to make Universal's numbers sound so much higher than they are??

Captain Chaos

I just pray that HP turns out well. Not only because I love HP, but I think that will either give WDW's management the swift kick it needs, and if not that it will give Corporate the swift kick it needs to fire those guys.

If HP turns out well and starts drawing people AWAY from Disney and into Universal by the millions, then Disney will have no choice but to respond, and in a big way... However, these millions will have to be skipping Disney altogether, rather than going to all four Disney parks and taking 1 day to go to Universal to see Harry Potter... And I don't see that happening...

Captain Chaos

Bringing back the FP system.. Using those 2007 numbers, Universal Orlando averaged about 16,986 guests. Magic Kingdom, on the other hand, averaged about 46,575. I think it only makes sense that MK's stand by lines will obviously be a lot longer than Universal's, based on attendance... of course, Spider Man attraction is the exception... Seems like the entire park is waiting on that stand by line since it is so popular..

raven

Yes, you get a free Express Pass when staying at a Universal Resort as you do in Disney as well. But unlike Disney, Universal day guests have to spend and extra $40 if they want it. Disney day guests get it for free. That was my point.

Disney = long standby queues due to FP, Universal = shorter queue time and hardly anyone in Express except those staying on property, or those that really do want to waste money to wait in a shorter line.

You sided with me there and that was my point. Waste money for an Express Pass when you get it at Disney for free.

Oh really? That's news to me.

Did you read the end of the line you quoted me on? I said "personally."

Universal has always offered great deals to get you to visit, whereas Disney offers cheap gimmicks..

Like the entire world population being able to get in free on their birthday this year if they wanted to? Yeah, real cheap gimmick there. :rolleyes:

Jaws is the only exception.

I'm pretty sure Jaws is the only ride to open after the rest of the park does, and even then it's only 10am and not noon as you claim.

Yea I don't believe all of those attractions opened late. That's half the attractions at US.

Well it's true. Jaws didn't open until noon. We went to Twister and they said it wouldn't be open until noon, then to Disaster and they said "we're opening at 12PM", then we went to MIB (since Jaws was closed) and they said "go over to the Simpsons since that's open." Maybe it doesn't happen every day that was but I am telling you that the day we went it happened. A few friends of mine have experienced the same things in the past.

The official opening time that day was 9AM but at the ticket booth they said it would be opening at 10AM.

Again, I'm not saying this happens all the time but it DID happen the one and only day we went there.

Captain Chaos

Yes, you get a free Express Pass when staying at a Universal Resort as you do in Disney as well. But unlike Disney, Universal day guests have to spend and extra $40 if they want it. Disney day guests get it for free. That was my point.

You sided with me there and that was my point. Waste money for an Express Pass when you get it at Disney for free.

Like the entire world population being able to get in free on their birthday this year if they wanted to? Yeah, real cheap gimmick there. :rolleyes:

Well it's true. Jaws didn't open until noon. We went to Twister and they said it wouldn't be open until noon, then to Disaster and they said "we're opening at 12PM", then we went to MIB (since Jaws was closed) and they said "go over to the Simpsons since that's open." Maybe it doesn't happen every day that was but I am telling you that the day we went it happened. A few friends of mine have experienced the same things in the past.

The official opening time that day was 9AM but at the ticket booth they said it would be opening at 10AM.

Again, I'm not saying this happens all the time but it DID happen the one and only day we went there.

Wait.. that is impossible.. because, after all, Universal treats their guests with the utmost respect... And they care about you.. they care about their business... Surely you are a liar... I am sure this never happened to Agent86, Albino_Pygmy, or Pumbas therefore it has never happened.. EVER!! Right???

Wait.. that is impossible.. because, after all, Universal treats their guests with the utmost respect... And they care about you.. they care about their business... Surely you are a liar... I am sure this never happened to Agent86, Albino_Pygmy, or Pumbas therefore it has never happened.. EVER!! Right???

You are correct (finally, even though there's an unhealthy dose of sarcasm in this reply) that Universal does care about it's guests. As for saying things like that NEVER happen in the parks, you're wrong. Things do happen at Universal, rides close, you encounter some rude people, but guess what? Same things happen at Disney, and even moreso than Universal because it's bigger, right? More rides to break down and more rude CM's to get your panties in a wad, but yet that doesn't bother you one bit at Disney, why is that?

Universal had the free FP's, and clogged the standby lines horribly, and this was when they were still during the slower not as busy seasons. When they removed it, the lines went back to normal as if Express didn't exist, but it was still there but to a limited number of people which is a nice perk should you choose to accept it.

Nope. Do you read through all of our replies as carefully too? Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes:

It is a really cheap gimmick, and you know it. Offering ONE free ticket for the birthday person at ONE park on their birthday. This person won't be travelling alone, so everyone else needs to get their own tickets. Chances are they're going to stay for more than one day, so they'll have to find a place to stay, and add a few more days to their tickets, including getting a ticket for the lucky birthday person. They'll have to eat and celebrate their birthday in the parks, and probably buy a photopass picture or several, and souvenirs. Now, how is only offering ONE ticket to ONE park NOT cheap? Universal at one point sent several Florida residents (including myself) 2 of their 1 day 2 park tickets in the mail, free, no strings attached. Why on earth would they do that? Because when you can get in the parks for free, you'll be more likely to spend more money in there knowing that you didn't have to spend it on admission. Disney is starting to get desperate by offering this cheap gimmick and turning it into a themed celebration.

Yup, can't judge a place by one visit for only one day and say they always do this and that, when they normally don't. Nice try by the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom