Universal vs. Disney

agent86

Honestly, cause I never yet ran into a rude, obnoxious CM who put me down for a shirt I was wearing, or spoke down to me when a ride failed to work properly..

That's never happened to you at Universal either (even though you'll likely never come clean on that one). :rolleyes:

agent86

Shorter Universal lines has more to do with low attendance than a better FP system...

Universal's Express Pass system is vastly superior to Disney's antiquated Fast Pass system. I have no doubt that if Disney had thought of doing it the way Universal does it, that's how Fast Pass would be working today. Fast Pass is cumbersome because not only do guests have to stand in line to get a Fast Pass out of a machine, but then they have to worry about making sure they're back during the window of time given on the ticket. On many attractions, the Fast Passes run out early, so guests have to plan ahead and strategize about getting them. So much about a typical Disney vacation these days is about guests being required to do all kinds of planning (which is something that most people don't want to have to worry about while they're on vacation).

In contrast, Universal's Express Pass system is simple and effortless. If you're staying at one of the hotels, you automatically have one. No need to worry about what time to visit a particular attraction or having to constantly go find kiosks that disperse the passes for their specific attraction. Just flash the pass and you're all set. For guests not staying at one of the hotels, there is the option to purchase one. Until recently, I was among those who thought that was a waste of money. But I have to say, on my most recent trip last August, we sprang for those and it was awesome having them.

nerdboyrockstar

To be honest, bringing up how many visitors Magic Kingdom has or how much bigger Disney is with its 30 resorts and all does nothing in Disney's favor. In fact, it just makes them seem more greedy by having that much more revenue than Universal and still pumping less money into the parks.

And what you're holding over Universal fans' heads are a Haunted Mansion rehab that was so long overdue it was embarrassing, and the upcoming Space Mountain rehab with a budget so slashed, it already won't hold a candle to its 4-year-old California counterpart?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think the argument that many are failing to make is that although Universal is adding major attractions at both of it's parks and Disney is seemingly doing nothing is that Universal is in a situation where they have to play catch up. If the parks were equal, in any capacity than Disney would need something to offset this additions.

Although Monster's Inc seems to be the next major attraction going to the parks, it hasn't been announced yet, so until then we have to assume it's not happening. I think if Universal or Islands of Adventure exceed the attendance at the Animal Kingdom or DHS in 09 or 10 you will definitely see a new major attraction added if it hasn't been greenlit by that point already. We may find out by the end of this year that several new things are on the horizon for 2012-2014.

Exactly. Anyone here who truly calls themselves Disney fans, IMO should be HAPPY if Universal sees an attendance boost from these new attractions. Competition is a GOOD THING!!!

Look at, while not quite on the same league, Cedar Point and King's Island in Ohio. They are in a constant "war" over who has the latest, best rollercoaster and it's bred a lot of new things over the years.

Clearly, I don't want to see Disney and Universal add rollercoasters, but they need to compete on what they both do best, highly themed environments and state-of-the-art attractions.

GothMickey

I quite like Busch gardens despite it lacking the cleanliness of its Orlando sister park.

I like prawns and shell fish, but I dont fancy eating them every meal.

Busch Gardens in Tampa isn't clean? Sea World seems very clean to me. Shell fish at every meal would get sickening after a while.

GothMickey

That's never happened to you at Universal either (even though you'll likely never come clean on that one). :rolleyes:

He shouldn't have to come clean. If he said it happened to him, then it happened, especially since it is something maybe a handful of Universal cast members engage in. I was at the park maybe 3 to 4 years ago with my girlfriend and a comment was passed to her because she had on a Disney World shirt. The comment was not said meliciously. We took it as a joke. The CM laughed along with us. If it is a way for guest/employee interaction, and not done meliciously, then what is the big deal? In dxer's case, it sounds like it was a melicious comment. Or at least he took it that way.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Busch Gardens in Tampa isn't clean? Sea World seems very clean to me. Shell fish at every meal would get sickening after a while.

When we went 2 years ago we couldnt believe it was operated by the same company, it was quite shabby compared to Sea World, the best way I can describe it is unkept. Rides however were all operating with the exception of Gwazzi which was only running one side.

GothMickey

When we went 2 years ago we couldnt believe it was operated by the same company, it was quite shabby compared to Sea World, the best way I can describe it is unkept. Rides however were all operating with the exception of Gwazzi which was only running one side.

I am heading down to Orlando in June. I am planning on one day over at Busch Gardens. I will have to check this out and report back. By the way, when is Harry Potter and Ripit Rockit Coaster opening?

The_CEO

:brick:
I'm pretty sure Jaws is the only ride to open after the rest of the park does.

courtesy of Orlando United:
http://www.orlando united.com/news/images/uoupdate_0109/hulk.jpg

Original poster said there was a good chance it either broke down or was opening late because of how slow it was..

I'm going with the later considering it would be very weird to know when your coaster is going to magically work..

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
courtesy of ______:
http://www.orlando united.com/news/images/uoupdate_0109/hulk.jpg

Original poster said there was a good chance it either broke down or was opening late because of how slow it was..

I'm going with the later considering it would be very weird to know when your coaster is going to magically work..

It's very possible something was up with it and that was the time they were expecting it to be open by. I have a hard time believing they would keep the 2nd most popular attraction in that park closed for 4 hours after park opening just because it was slow. I visit the parks almost weekly and typically on what would be the slowest days (Monday-Wednesday) and have NEVER seen anything like that or raven's claim of near half the park being closed just for the hell of it.

GothMickey

It's very possible something was up with it and that was the time they were expecting it to be open by. I have a hard time believing they would keep the 2nd most popular attraction in that park closed for 4 hours after park opening just because it was slow. I visit the parks almost weekly and typically on what would be the slowest days (Monday-Wednesday) and have NEVER seen anything like that or raven's claim of near half the park being closed just for the hell of it.

I would doubt half the park would be closed for the heck of it, but, I wouldn't doubt half the park being closed because of one heck of an emergency situation, such as major power loss. I think the scenerio is very unlikely though.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I would doubt half the park would be closed for the heck of it, but, I wouldn't doubt half the park being closed because of one heck of an emergency situation, such as major power loss. I think the scenerio is very unlikely though.

Oh, I know... and it's quite possible they were having technical difficulties. I've seen Disaster down a lot, in addition to MIB, and Twister has its problems too. As far as I know E.T. Adventure usually opens at park opening but I do recall a 10am opening sometimes on the park maps with the rest of KidZone. It also could've been down as well. I can't see them having all those rides closed "just because."

GothMickey

Oh, I know... and it's quite possible they were having technical difficulties. I've seen Disaster down a lot, in addition to MIB, and Twister has its problems too. As far as I know E.T. Adventure usually opens at park opening but I do recall a 10am opening sometimes on the park maps with the rest of KidZone. It also could've been down as well. I can't see them having all those rides closed "just because."

Now watch, we'll go in June and find half attractions closed "just because." In a situation where half the rides are closed, a visit to Guest Services would be in order. If there were issues, they'd let you know. Instead, it seems Raven assumed it was just because.

agent86

He shouldn't have to come clean. If he said it happened to him, then it happened, especially since it is something maybe a handful of Universal cast members engage in.

Okay, well your post doesn't really make sense. You're saying that the reason you're convinced it did happen is because "maybe a handful" of Universal cast members engage in it? Wouldn't that make it LESS likely to have happened?? :veryconfu

I was at the park maybe 3 to 4 years ago with my girlfriend and a comment was passed to her because she had on a Disney World shirt. The comment was not said meliciously. We took it as a joke. The CM laughed along with us. If it is a way for guest/employee interaction, and not done meliciously, then what is the big deal? In dxer's case, it sounds like it was a melicious comment. Or at least he took it that way.

The problem here though, is that while your story is at least believable, his story went way beyond believability. Dxer07002 didn't simply claim that a few employees teased him about it. He expects us to believe that when he went to guest services, that they blatantly told him that he was deserving of bad service specifically because he was wearing a Disney t-shirt. You've got to be kidding me if you are honestly saying that you believe that outlandish story. :hammer:

agent86

Now watch, we'll go in June and find half attractions closed "just because." In a situation where half the rides are closed, a visit to Guest Services would be in order. If there were issues, they'd let you know. Instead, it seems Raven assumed it was just because.

Ohhhhh You don't want to go to guest services! Read through this thread!

And if we all lived in the make-believe world that dxer07002 lives in, then the response we'd get from guest services would be something along the lines of... "Well, we can't open the rest of the attractions until we can clear out all of these people who showed up wearing Disney t-shirts." :hammer::lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom