Universal Steps up, What do you guys think?

paul436

I think they are just stepping up their game. Every company employs strategies to get customers. Lowering prices is usually an effective way of doing that.

I just came back from Universal and had a great time. The low cost of the ticket was one of the reasons that I decided to go there.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
To note..

I recently went to Universal, actually IoA, and I have admittedly been to both parks a few times in the past, just not recently (probably a year) and the tickets I got were 2-days for the price of 1, valid for like a month.

I never used the second day, never set foot in Universal Studios.

I went to IoA, finally got to see the Suess Trolly ride, rode Spiderman with no wait, did a few other small things, ate some lunch, and then went to Epcot.

In the time until my second day expired I went to MK, Epcot, AK, and MGM - Epcot several times and MK a few times. Never even really thought about going to Universal or IoA until I realized I still had the ticket in my pocket.

The same applies to the other person who went with me. Obviously Disney is winning this war. Sure, Universal has Dippin Dots - but lately there's just not much else.

coasterridr

Universal had or has a deal called flex pay, you go in and purchase a annual pass and they divide the cost by 12 and take that amount out ooff of your credit card each month for the year. I thought this was a very nice concept to make annual passes more affordable....until I read the fine print, they will automatically renew your pass unless you cancel during the last month of the pass expiration....so sad.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Universal had or has a deal called flex pay, you go in and purchase a annual pass and they divide the cost by 12 and take that amount out ooff of your credit card each month for the year. I thought this was a very nice concept to make annual passes more affordable....until I read the fine print, they will automatically renew your pass unless you cancel during the last month of the pass expiration....so sad.

I don't see how that a really bad thing.

If you like Universal and go there enough to buy an annual pass in the first place, why wouldn't you want one for the next year?

If you got an annual pass just for one extended visit, then simply cancel through your credit card after your trip is through!

Lee

Adventurer
Universal passholder.:wave:

I like Uni pretty well. Good for a change of pace....

Also, one of the main reasons it was attractive was the Flex Pay option. The cost of the pass is spread out over the year, just billed monthly to my credit card. Handy. Disney really needs that.

kennygman

I've been waiting till my two oldest get to 54" to take them to Uni for a day or two since most of their best rides require that and so many are based on fear, I wanted them to be old enough to handle it. I think DW does a good job for the 10 and under crowd, Uni tends to market to families with teens and youth groups.

I've been several times and like Uni, but they don't update nearly enough. Need to make a large cash investment to update some of the current stuff and build some new relevant rides. DW has been introducing something new 3 or 4 times a year, plus all the new shows. It keeps it interesting for the kids.

Jekyll_Baker

To note..

I recently went to Universal, actually IoA, and I have admittedly been to both parks a few times in the past, just not recently (probably a year) and the tickets I got were 2-days for the price of 1, valid for like a month.

I never used the second day, never set foot in Universal Studios.

I went to IoA, finally got to see the Suess Trolly ride, rode Spiderman with no wait, did a few other small things, ate some lunch, and then went to Epcot.

In the time until my second day expired I went to MK, Epcot, AK, and MGM - Epcot several times and MK a few times. Never even really thought about going to Universal or IoA until I realized I still had the ticket in my pocket.

The same applies to the other person who went with me. Obviously Disney is winning this war. Sure, Universal has Dippin Dots - but lately there's just not much else.

Merf, I think I did the almost the same itinerary back in November. I had a free ticket from Uni (that they "randomly" mailed to FL & GA residents), and I just had to use it up, otherwise I might have felt guilty. I rode Hulk, Spiderman, Deuling Dragons (fire & ice) and the Seuss trolley (unspectacular IMO), and walked around a bit. I got there about 9:30 and I was in Epcot for lunch between 12:00 and 1:00.

USO/IoA isn't bad. For me personally, it doesn't have enough to interest me and keep me coming back very often. I'm just not a big fan of water rides or getting spritzed by water on every attraction or super-long meandering queues. Maybe if I get another free ticket :drevil:

slappy magoo

There was a thread on this subject, called "Desperate, desperate Universal" that got shut down because it got heated. Thank God that won't happen here! :ROFLOL:

I'll make the same point here I made there, though some people beat me to it.

Disney offers up an incredible promotion, like free dining or free Waters Parks and More option on a MYW pass, and we hail them as saviors and can't kiss their butt fast enough.

Universal offers an incredible promotion, and they MUST be desperate.

In my nonjudgmental, uninformed opinion, WDW is, indeed, making it difficult for anyone else in the Orlando theme park biz to make money. Between the MYW ticket structure, free Magical Express, dining plans, WDW makes it enticing to never leave the resort complex. They created MGM studios to directly compete with Universal, they created Pleasure Island to directly compete with Church Street, they created TL & BB to directly compete with Wet n' Wild. So yeah, Uni had to do something to get people willign to leave Disney's hallowed ground. But scoff all you want, that doesn't mean Uni is desperate. Bear with me.

Uni's prior deals used to be along the lines of "Buy 2 days, get 3 more free." Because they know that a lot of people going to Orlando mainly for WDW aren't going to spend more than 2 days in Uni anyway. But now that the MYW ticket structure makes WDW guests adopt a mindset of "the more I stay at WDW, the more afforable, per-day, my trip really is," Uni's new promotion basically makes going to Uni/IOA comparable to MYW options. You pay this much more for water parks & pelasure Island. This much for dining. This much for "no expiration." Aaaand now you can pay an extra 80 bucks and get park hopping at 2 entirely different theme parks up the road. It now becomes another option for WDW guests, as part of an overall vacation package, instead of a detour or side-trip. And if Uni indeed DOES have some new attractions in store, like The SImpsons & Harry Potter, it behooves them to get even more people in the parks, where they are susceptible for any advance hype for those attractions they put together. I remember going to Uni the year before IOA opened, and they had an interactive exhibit hyping IOA that made it look incredibly bad-______. Doing the same now, when potentially many more people will see it, will make it more enticing for people to return when those attractions are open.

Otherwise, WDW guests who go to Uni probably won't change their routines anymore than they did. They'll go one day, maybe 2, even though they have a whole week at their disposal. MAYBE, if WDW parks are incredibly crowded, they'll use their UNI pass as an extra option to beat the crowds. At this point, tt then becomes an issue of volume, volume, volume. Will enough WDW guests pony up that dough to compensate for all the locals or non-Disney-lovin' tourists who would've paid more for THEIR tickets? Once there, will the money they spend on meals and clothes and their photo packages also help compensate the money lost on less ticket revenue?

And lest we forget, as much as I hate that their Express Passes are now strictly for Uni hotel guests and people who pay for it as an option, getting in so inexpensivly might make people willing to choose to pay for the express passes in advance, which would also compensate for the loss of ticket revene. Pay-per-use only was not an option for Uni before. If you're a WDW guest who ONLY wants to spend one day at UO/IOA, you might be willing to fork over that extra dough, too, insure you hit everything with no waits so you can get back to (y)our beloved WDW. And depending on the season, if you go twice and get Express Pass both times, guess what? You're paying about as much as you would've paid on Uni's OLD promotion! You just get a couple of extra days on your pass! Which you probably won't use anyway, because of you WDW MYW pass! Six of one, half dozen of the other! Suddenly, what seems like a desperate bid to get something, ANYTHING away from WDW becomes a little more savvy, AND an eye towards short term profits (via more people eating and buying stuff) and LONG-term profits (by hyping upcoming attractions that will inspire people to return).

But, like I said, I'm pretty dumb. They're probably just desperate, like all you guys think. Really, I don't know why they keep the place open. :rolleyes:

dandaman

IOA not enough for you??:rolleyes:

I was about to post that... then it occurred to me that IOA actually is 8 years old (1999). :lol:

Here's some other things added in the past 8-9 that "wouldn't be worthwhile":

1998: Twister

1999: Islands of Adventure, CityWalk

Portofino Bay Hotel

2000: Men In Black: Alien Attack

2001: Hard Rock Hotel

2002: Royal Pacific Resort

2003: Shrek 4-D

2004: Revenge of the Mummy

2005: Fear Factor Live!

2006: Universal 360

...And those don't include the slightly smaller park additions. :wave:

toadh63

In my nonjudgmental, uninformed opinion, WDW is, indeed, making it difficult for anyone else in the Orlando theme park biz to make money. Between the MYW ticket structure, free Magical Express, dining plans, WDW makes it enticing to never leave the resort complex.

But now that the MYW ticket structure makes WDW guests adopt a mindset of "the more I stay at WDW, the more afforable, per-day, my trip really is,"

So true... from the time a family gets off a plane at OIA until they board again, Disney's made it attractive and easy (and expensive) to stay completely on-property. There's not many 5-year-olds begging to see Popeye or ride Kraken or Sheikra. The path of least resistance for many further than a day's drive and with the money is to go with a Disney package. Makes sense for WDW to go this route... Same way that the Busch parks offer a year's visits for the cost of a one-day ticket (there's a lot of locals who go to BGT and SW just to eat and shop)... makes sense for their business plan.

UO is just having trouble finding a niche. Too high scale to go for the locals (and, say what you will, USF/IOA and even Citywalk are very nice places... compare them to facilities in the towns people come here from), but no way to play on the WDW level (not enough land or money or child-magnet legendary characters to draw from).

Maybe we should cut Uni (and its fans) some slack. With all the changes that have gone down these last twenty years (three different owners, two new Disney parks, nine quadrillion new WDW hotel rooms), they're doing a pretty decent job... they could have turned into Six Flags. :animwink:

sbkline

They're nuts if they think they can actually compare to Disney.

If they are trying to compete with Disney, perhaps that's their mistake right there. Of course, I am no marketing expert or anything, but from my observation, it appears as if Universal and Disney is like Apples and Oranges. WDW, with its 4 major parks, two water parks, numerous other activities, and numerous hotels, is definitely a vacation destination and not merely a weekend activity. Universal, on the other hand, while enjoyable (I've been there and would like to go back), IMO, just can't cut it as a vacation destination without some major expansion. It only has two parks instead of 4 and, while I enjoyed both of them, we were out of both by 3 or 4 PM. They only have a couple of hotels, and they have their City Walk, but that's about it. Not much to occupy a family for an entire week, IMO. Like I said, I plan to go back sometime, and they do have a good product (although not nearly as good as Disney), but maybe their mistake is that they just can't accept the fact that they are more of a one day, or weekend activity, whereas Disney is a full blown vacation resort. So instead of trying to compete with Disney, Universal should just accept this fact and market themselves as a place for locals and tourists to visit on a weekend, or one of their days of vacation, instead of trying to attract people to stay there instead of Disney. Because, as much as I may enjoy the place, I think if I were to stay on property at Universal, I'd probably be bored and ready to leave by the second day.

the-reason14

Original Poster
Well, I dont know if you can actually say they are stepping up. They have been lamenting cheap remarks at disney for years. But I think when it comes down to the point where they have to mention disney's name and how basically a single ticket is better there than disney, that they have become a little desperate. I dont know, maybe I got it twisted and maybe they are making a step in the right direction. Either way they wont get a cent of my money.

disney1077

If they are trying to compete with Disney, perhaps that's their mistake right there. Of course, I am no marketing expert or anything, but from my observation, it appears as if Universal and Disney is like Apples and Oranges. WDW, with its 4 major parks, two water parks, numerous other activities, and numerous hotels, is definitely a vacation destination and not merely a weekend activity. Universal, on the other hand, while enjoyable (I've been there and would like to go back), IMO, just can't cut it as a vacation destination without some major expansion. It only has two parks instead of 4 and, while I enjoyed both of them, we were out of both by 3 or 4 PM. They only have a couple of hotels, and they have their City Walk, but that's about it. Not much to occupy a family for an entire week, IMO. Like I said, I plan to go back sometime, and they do have a good product (although not nearly as good as Disney), but maybe their mistake is that they just can't accept the fact that they are more of a one day, or weekend activity, whereas Disney is a full blown vacation resort. So instead of trying to compete with Disney, Universal should just accept this fact and market themselves as a place for locals and tourists to visit on a weekend, or one of their days of vacation, instead of trying to attract people to stay there instead of Disney. Because, as much as I may enjoy the place, I think if I were to stay on property at Universal, I'd probably be bored and ready to leave by the second day.

I could not have said it better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom