Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Seanual757

now is that the right thing to do?

Right or wrong that is what is being done and it's done and Disney honestly cannot afford to sit on the side lines maybe with the NBA deal that will help but the reality is until the theme parks reopen airlines will not be increasing any sort of service to Florida the businesses that need Disney and Universal to open are in dire straits and many will no longer open. With Universal opening that will help International Drive, but that does not help the convention center much they need Disney to open so folks can return and thus help the struggling economy.

Getachew

Right or wrong that is what is being done and it's done and Disney honestly cannot afford to sit on the side lines maybe with the NBA deal that will help but the reality is until the theme parks reopen airlines will not be increasing any sort of service to Florida the businesses that need Disney and Universal to open are in dire straits and many will no longer open. With Universal opening that will help International Drive, but that does not help the convention center much they need Disney to open so folks can return and thus help the struggling economy.

whats a few weeks to a month difference?

Seanual757

That story is 2 and half months old and no outbreaks have been traced back to WDW.

Correct and honestly that was 1 and it is tragic but who is to say they did not get it on the plane and the airport, just before he left to come to Orlando?

I was staying at Disney in March at AKL Jambo house the same time the guy got sick the resorts they were cleaning everything, hand sanitizers in the lobby. We stayed 4 nights visited the parks 11 times in January, 9 in February, and 8 times in March we are all fine.

If we continue to wash our hands, wear face masks we can return to some sort of normal.

Getachew

In terms of Disney losing money or furloughed CMs that have been unable to collect unemployment...a lot.

You have a point, though that seems to be the Governor and the staye of Fl’s fault more than Disney. What’s the point of having unemployment if it cant be used in time of need? Also, when Disney opens not everyone is getting called back if it’s at reduced capacity, and if its slow hours are likely to get cut drastically. Maybe its better to open when a profit is more sure to be made?

ImperfectPixie

You have a point, though that seems to be the Governor and the staye of Fl’s fault more than Disney. What’s the point of having unemployment if it cant be used in time of need? Also, when Disney opens not everyone is getting called back if it’s at reduced capacity, and if its slow hours are likely to get cut drastically. Maybe its better to open when a profit is more sure to be made?
Oh, I don't blame Disney for the unemployment problems at all - that's all on the state.

VaderTron

Seems to me they are taking reservations so there will be a built-in crowd available for whenever they do open. They are not concerned about canceling and re-scheduling, they do that every day for folks. They are just in a situation where they are doing it for more folks now to maintain a crowd available when they do reopen.
No, they are taking reservations so their bank accounts and investments can pay interest on this free "borrowed" money. Meanwhile, the guest whose money is tied up gets no benefit for the free loan. They even lose their reward points they would have received on whatever credit card was used to book when Disney cancels the reservation months later.

bcoachable

For most of you that is probably what will happen but not for me. This whole shutdown has really opened my eyes on Disney. A lot of that comes from the fans. Constantly taking jabs at Universal and other parks. Some talking about ways to get around the rules they plan on putting in place.

Maybe some you have littles and the part you enjoy is seeing the smiles on the littles faces means a lot to you. For me what gets me excited when I enter a park is hearing the screams of people on roller coasters gets me excited.
For me, I am a fan of things done extremely well.
I love to get out and see God's work the most. Disney and Universal- man, do they have the resources to get things done well! I love the Silver Dollar Cities and the Dollywoods too!

MJJME

I still think it’s way too early to open in June, glad WDW won’t be. Your firework info has me confused though, presumably that industry should have been stockpiling for one of the biggest holidays of the year (4th) and companies would be tripping over each other for business from Disney given how most places have canceled their 4th events. While it might be hard to procure the custom Disney shaped ones (and DLs air launched ones) you think they could get enough generic ones to make it through the late summer.
you don't think WDW could still open in June?

Stevek

I do find it hard to believe that Disneyland will not open this year. I've generally suspected by end of summer at the latest with Downtown Disney opening during the next 30 or so days given Orange County's move to second part of phase 2. Time to wait and see.

tirian

I'm planning to post less, but several posters I really respect have asked that I stay. My plan now is to simply not engage or punch down with toxicity. People who follow me know I'm ahead of the curve with accurate info... and then there are others who just want to tear down, say I'm somebody else, take things I've said to mean things I've never suggested, e.t.c.
The cardinal rule of Internet forums seems to be “All opinions are valid until you disagree with mine. And if I don’t like yours, I will vilify you even though you might have more information than I do.”

You have to post things and walk away — especially since some people clearly have more time than others to nitpick rumors on an entertainment website.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish I had a clue the governor, and the mayor will give them a green light. Weather we like it or not the state is open for business and the governor is relaxing restrictions more and more I would not be surprised if we are at a Phase 3 by July here in Florida.
If Disney has an indication that FL would be in phase 3 by July it would make their decision to open a no brainer. They would wait until some time in mid to late July to open during phase 3. It would be so much easier if social distancing was relaxed and maybe even masks could be just recommended not required. It would make transport a lot easier too. It would make no sense to open during phase 2 if phase 3 is that soon.

RaveOnEd

If Disney has an indication that FL would be in phase 3 by July it would make their decision to open a no brainer. They would wait until some time in mid to late July to open during phase 3. It would be so much easier if social distancing was relaxed and maybe even masks could be just recommended not required. It would make transport a lot easier too. It would make no sense to open during phase 2 if phase 3 is that soon.
Although a June opening would be nice, if Phase 3 occurs as soon as July, then I agree as well, that opening then would be a no-brainer, also giving time for CMs to almost all be back, as well as what you said with transportation and all.

Disney Analyst

I just flashed back to my days working a MK and the Utilidors... How do you maintain distancing in such an enclosed space... and the change rooms... and where do CM's go for lunch, will the lunch room even work?

So many questions. All the managers have tiny tight offices. Scheduling.. Call centres... I just can't even picture it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom