Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Although a June opening would be nice, if Phase 3 occurs as soon as July, then I agree as well, that opening then would be a no-brainer, also giving time for CMs to almost all be back, as well as what you said with transportation and all.
Based on the original post from this thread it seems that Disney was contemplating a later opening to eliminate jumping through some of the hoops needed to open right away. Masks seem to be a big part but also easing the issues with group gathering limits. Transport issues are a big deal for WDW, limiting monorails, buses and boats is a big problem.

disneygeek90

Based on the original post from this thread it seems that Disney was contemplating a later opening to eliminate jumping through some of the hoops needed to open right away. Masks seem to be a big part but also easing the issues with group gathering limits. Transport issues are a big deal for WDW, limiting monorails, buses and boats is a big problem.
I have to think that masks will be a part of this for quite a while. I'd think there needs to be a significant trend of positive cases downward until those are lifted, and Orange County is experiencing a trend back up over the past few weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have to think that masks will be a part of this for quite a while. I'd think there needs to be a significant trend of positive cases downward until those are lifted, and Orange County is experiencing a trend back up over the past few weeks.
If that’s the case then FL can’t go to phase 3. As it is places like LEGOLAND and other more local attractions are opening in phase 1 without masks required. I think Disney will be more conservative, but if the state does move to phase 3 before Disney opens it’s possible they will scale back some of the requirements. I also think it’s easier to open without those restrictions than it is to have them in place and then scale them back.

ImperfectPixie

If that’s the case then FL can’t go to phase 3. As it is places like LEGOLAND and other more local attractions are opening in phase 1 without masks required. I think Disney will be more conservative, but if the state does move to phase 3 before Disney opens it’s possible they will scale back some of the requirements. I also think it’s easier to open without those restrictions than it is to have them in place and then scale them back.
This is why I think not having masks mandatory at the state level is a big mistake. Businesses need the state backing them so that they can do their part to ensure their employees stay safe.

Seanual757

Not really airlines have filled planes with almost no empty seats so folks are sitting next to each other the only thing is they are wearing masks. The reason for the masks is well the ability to operate during these times. Let's face it the virus will be around until next year if not longer. Disney could stay shut down but in the end they need to open it will be up to guests to wear masks, hand sanitize. Now they may limit buses to sitting room only and limited standing.

I just do not see Disney itself busy like people think even with capacity limits. If you limit buses and monorails to resort guests only , and the monorail to TTC folks you will have good enough social distancing at at 30% even 50%.

I just do not see the thousands of folks traveling like we did until middle to end of next year.

Seanual757

This is why I think not having masks mandatory at the state level is a big mistake. Businesses need the state backing them so that they can do their part to ensure their employees stay safe.

Yep I still do not see the big deal about wearing masks I am used to it even in the Florida heat. Now masks at the water parks should be a no go after all you are swimming in a pool of chlorine so the spread in the pools and water parks would be rare and even more so with capacity restrictions.

disneygeek90

I get it's not mandated, I just don't think that would be a good look or perception for Disney. I'd personally be surprised if they opened any of the parks with a no mask policy, regardless if it's mandated by the state or not or what phase they are on. I think we all know that masks being "encouraged but not required" doesn't work, and the last thing Disney would want is pictures flying around the internet with people meandering through Main Street unmasked.

Getachew

Although a June opening would be nice, if Phase 3 occurs as soon as July, then I agree as well, that opening then would be a no-brainer, also giving time for CMs to almost all be back, as well as what you said with transportation and all.

also unemployment $600 benefit runs out in July, which makes it a perfect time for furloughed cm’s to return to work

tirian

Disneyland is easier to open than something on the scale of WDW.
@Stevek

I’m curious to know whether the rumors of pest infestations are true. Supposedly, DL wasn’t able to maintain pest control like WDW, and the California resort needs significant eradication and maintenance before it can reopen. Again, this is a rumor from people in Florida. If a certain Spirit were here, he’d have better Cali connections to find out what’s happening.

But apart from that, DL’s reopening will depend on re-training locals to treat it as a planned resort, not a local hangout. Have you been to DL on an average mid-autumn weekday? It’s packed when kids get out of school. Parents stop by, do a few things with their kids, and go home.

Locals see DL as their park, which is partly why they hold the company to very high standards, but also why daily crowding is a concern during CV-19.

But the “pest infestation” rumor is definitely more exciting. :D

tirian

also unemployment $600 benefit runs out in July, which makes it a perfect time for furlough cm’s to return to work
They’ll need to train CMs in the new policies and re-train the daily operations. That could require a rolling schedule spread over a few weeks — a perfect way to begin paying CMs before August 31 (if that’s actually the re-opening date).

Getachew

They’ll need to train CMs in the new policies and re-train the daily operations. That could require a rolling schedule which requires a few weeks — a perfect way to begin paying CMs before August 31 (if that’s actually the re-opening date).

I think that was the case based on what the OP said. But now im thinking a early July opening, with Cm’s, at least some of them, being called back mid-late June. But we’ll see.

Stevek

@Stevek

I’m curious to know whether the rumors of pest infestations are true. Supposedly, DL wasn’t able to maintain pest control like WDW, and the California resort needs significant eradication and maintenance before it can reopen. Again, this is a rumor from people in Florida. If a certain Spirit were here, he’d have better Cali connections to find out what’s happening.

But apart from that, DL’s reopening will depend on re-training locals to treat it as a planned resort, not a local hangout. Have you been to DL on an average mid-autumn weekday? It’s packed when kids get out of school. Parents stop by, do a few things with their kids, and go home.

Locals see DL as their park, which is partly why they hold the company to very high standards, but also why daily crowding is a concern during CV-19.

But the “pest infestation” rumor is definitely more exciting. :D

This is the first I've heard about any pest infestation. I would assume preventative measures would have been in place but anything is possible.

I've been to Disneyland pretty much at every scenario, excluding Christmas day or 4th of July. I think training the AP fanbase that it's not a hangout will only be accomplished by limiting attendance aka, they just can't go due to capacity issues. That's a short term thing and I think that long term, it won't be any different a year from now IF there is a vaccine AND Disney increases capacity. Crowds will come back en masse.

tirian

I think that was the case based on what the OP said. But now im thinking a early July opening, with Cm’s, at least some of them, being called back mid-late. But we’ll see.

I don’t care when it reopens. I’m not going back until there’s a vaccine; and yes, I know that’s more space for someone else who doesn’t mind melting in the heat and humidity.:D

I can’t imagine wearing a mask in 90° heat with 100% humidity.

tirian

This is the first I've heard about any pest infestation. I would assume preventative measures would have been in place but anything is possible.

I've been to Disneyland pretty much at every scenario, excluding Christmas day or 4th of July. I think training the AP fanbase that it's not a hangout will only be accomplished by limiting attendance aka, they just can't go due to capacity issues. That's a short term thing and I think that long term, it won't be any different a year from now IF there is a vaccine AND Disney increases capacity. Crowds will come back en masse.

I’m surprised nobody here had mentioned that. Right now, I’m too busy to keep up with the boards.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not really airlines have filled planes with almost no empty seats so folks are sitting next to each other the only thing is they are wearing masks. The reason for the masks is well the ability to operate during these times. Let's face it the virus will be around until next year if not longer. Disney could stay shut down but in the end they need to open it will be up to guests to wear masks, hand sanitize. Now they may limit buses to sitting room only and limited standing.

I just do not see Disney itself busy like people think even with capacity limits. If you limit buses and monorails to resort guests only , and the monorail to TTC folks you will have good enough social distancing at at 30% even 50%.

I just do not see the thousands of folks traveling like we did until middle to end of next year.
This has nothing to do with the virus going away. They will follow a plan and that plan won’t bank of the virus going away.

If you look at the airlines websites they all list that in between flights they are doing a deep cleaning of the aircrafts using various chemicals and technology. They all have different plans but the one constant is they will be thoroughly cleaning between each customer sitting in the seats. That’s not possible with a bus to MK. People get off and new people get on. Same as boats and the monorail. Masks help, but aren’t the only factor. They can do capacity limits but before phase 3 that’s limited to less than 25 people. That’s a problem for transport unless you throw a lot of extra buses at it, but that costs money.

Getachew

I don’t care when it reopens. I’m not going back until there’s a vaccine; and yes, I know that’s more space for someone else who doesn’t mind melting in the heat and humidity.:D

I can’t imagine wearing a mask in 90° heat with 100% humidity.

i think the mask issue is one of the reasons why WDW wanted to prolong opening. Maybe easier to open with masks as a recommendation, not requirement

Seanual757

They’ll need to train CMs in the new policies and re-train the daily operations. That could require a rolling schedule spread over a few weeks — a perfect way to begin paying CMs before August 31 (if that’s actually the re-opening date).

They are not training CM's for a Shuttle launch or starting up a Nuclear reactor they are training CM's on masks and social distancing and how and where to tell a limited capacity of guests. This is all but 1-2 days of training at the most.

Day 1 provide CM’s PPE and how to with training

Day 2 Continue training if needed if not moved Day 3 to day 2.

Day 3 “Testing” phase (tests the queues, lines, ect… with CM’s)

Day 4 Bring in a limited amount of APH’s for testing

Day 5 Open

Pretty simple again not rocket science I am not sure why folks think they need weeks to get ready.

If you are told to report to work on Sunday 6/1 you are giving them 4 days to prepare, maintenance crews can be called w/in 1-2 days to put down the decals and signs at each park they can complete that in 1 day (hell they decorate each park in what 6 hours for the holidays) they can be ready to open by 6/6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom