Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

DVCakaCarlF

They have to start taking reservations now, regardless of anticipated or announced openings, to create a back log of guests. Ever been to a restaurant right at 11:00 when it opens for lunch? It’s dead in there...you can’t expect them to open the park, and there be no one there waiting to get in. Same fir the resorts.

And the money they are taking is just a “deposit” to hold your place. I’ve already used my deposit three times to hold different dates. A deposit is not a payment.

This would be exactly why a realistic target date would be helpful. If they have no plans on reopening before August, stop taking reservations before August. Right now "insiders" are suggesting that July is not happening, yet Disney is still taking reservations for July 1.

Getachew

This would be exactly why a realistic target date would be helpful. If they have no plans on reopening before August, stop taking reservations before August. Right now "insiders" are suggesting that July is not happening, yet Disney is still taking reservations for July 1.

some insiders are saying maybe something mid june now

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My frustration is I have had 2 trips cancelled due to the unknown. Disney should stop taking reservations until there is a date announced that they are actually planning to meet. WHEN they open isn't my issue, it's how they are handling the interim.
I hear that. It’s frustrating. This whole pandemic has been more than frustrating. If I had a reservation cancelled I’d reschedule next year. That’s just me, everyone is entitled to do what they want. I do have a reservation in August which I will most likely cancel and reschedule for 2021 even if the parks are open but there’s some issues with DVC points I’m waiting on (whole other discussion around frustration). I have no interest in playing the game of rebooking and trying to time when the parks open or lift restrictions. There are tons of people who do want to do that. More power to them. I’m gonna do some more local and outdoor stuff this summer.

some insiders are saying maybe something mid june now

We can hope! Whenever there is an official announcement I plan to rebook, but not before then. We have cancelled 2 trips this summer already, one of which would've put us at AKL this week :( I definitely do not want to tell my girls that we have to cancel another trip, as they are too young to grasp the reasoning.

Getachew

We can hope! Whenever there is an official announcement I plan to rebook, but not before then. We have cancelled 2 trips this summer already, one of which would've put us at AKL this week :( I definitely do not want to tell my girls that we have to cancel another trip, as they are too young to grasp the reasoning.

i think at this point even the jnsiders may be out of the loop. I suspect Disney will surprise everyone with a sudden announcement.

disney4life2008

This whole thread has just become another Disney vs. Universal. The moment I read the thread title I already knew.

Universal for me has always been the underdog and everyone loves the underdog. When the underdog succeeds, people just love to shove it on Disney's face how they are such a failure.

When Universal does something not good, people are like "do better next time.' When Disney does something not good, people are like "what a disaster."

A agree. And wasn't it Disney that held open until the 9th hour with thousands looking at fireworks

lazyboy97o

How can you have a realistic date when you have absolutely no idea? Theme park operators are not epidemiologists.

i think at this point even the jnsiders may be out of the loop. I suspect Disney will surprise everyone with a sudden announcement.
Disney has to present their opening plans to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force so there will not be much of a surprise.

Getachew

How can you have a realistic date when you have absolutely no idea? Theme park operators are not epidemiologists.

Disney has to present their opening plans to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force so there will not be much of a surprise.

i meant surprise in dates or timeframes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m not jabbing at you, saying this more for those who haven’t witnessed and might be uninformed. As a Hazmat tech I would be concerned about the PR of this if it was within public view and without a significant education/ notification plan. You just put somebody in a half-face respirator and coveralls and some folks start feeling uneasy pretty quickly. It’s not their fault, they don’t know or understand what they are seeing. Folks out providing treatment for invasive species or some other sort of abatement/ treatment and some well intentioned person think it’s terrorism. Much more prevalent post 9-11. Before that it was just folks who watched Sci-Fi B-movies as a young child that got freaked out by suits :)
Agreed. I think they could actually spray things down with guys in hazmat suits if not for the optics.

Now I have an image in my mind of five or six CMs in full Hazmat suits running out of Cinderella Castle and sprinting down Main Street for the park exit and the reaction that guests will have upon witnessing that.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Its frustrating cause any rumors that have are negative towards Disney a lot of you try to debunk it

You're the one spinning that Disney isn't ready or willing to open and thus not announcing an opening date as a negative.

It's just the reality of the situation. Disney isn't trying to abuse anyone in this situation. If they could open sooner safely and reasonably and announce it, they would.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Honest question... if we never got a vaccine for SARS or MERS because they died out on their own, is it possible the same thing will happen with COVID-19?

Besides mutating quickly and 'burning out,' SARS and MERS also were very symptomatic soon after catching it. This made contact tracing relatively easy and those with those diseases were quarantined. With the diseases eradicated through quarantine, there was no need to continue to work on a vaccine.

This is what makes COVID so frustrating to do contact tracing (even if the U.S. had the resources early in the game). It is infectious before symptoms appear. And sometimes causes no or mild symptoms while being infectious.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My frustration is I have had 2 trips cancelled due to the unknown. Disney should stop taking reservations until there is a date announced that they are actually planning to meet. WHEN they open isn't my issue, it's how they are handling the interim.

You want assurances for vacation and travel in the middle of a pandemic?

That's not reasonable at all.

Miss Bella

So if Disney came out tomorrow and said we have a firm opening date and it’s September 1 would that make people happy? Are people really just upset they haven‘t given any date or are they upset they haven’t given a date of the first week of June like Universal? My guess is the vast majority of people here fall in the second category. It would be nice to know for sure, but isn’t it better for them to leave things up in the air under the hope that they can push the date up sooner? I’d rather leave the door open then pick a date you are sure to hit and cancel all reservations before that.
Yes I would be happy. I could change my PTO from August to September and plan accordingly. Not everyone can change their vacations at the last minute or request vacation time at the last minute.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Don’t let the naysayers hold you back...like I said, always interesting.

I'm planning to post less, but several posters I really respect have asked that I stay. My plan now is to simply not engage or punch down with toxicity. People who follow me know I'm ahead of the curve with accurate info... and then there are others who just want to tear down, say I'm somebody else, take things I've said to mean things I've never suggested, e.t.c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom