Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does it feel good @MisterPenguin ?

Why would it?

Unfathomable? It's 10 acres bigger than DHS. And almost as big as MK.

And it has the same number of rides as Epcot.

Yes. It will be impactful. And I hope it's successful. And I hope it spurs WDW to do better.

But 'unfathomable'? That's pretty hyperbolic.

This will be a stand-out success.

The only downside is that there are no rides if it is raining.

Disstevefan1

I guess it stings a bit…. I mean, imagine waiting 5 years for a fountain and a cafeteria style room, reminiscent of my high school.
Until you said fountain, I thought you were talking the EPCOT distruc.... er I mean, renovation.

We were not lucky enough to get a fountain as part of the EPCOT renovation.

But they did TEAR DOWN a beauty of a fountain. RIP fountain of nations.

TalkToEthan

Maybe they thought it wasn't worth an animatronic dragon after seeing the Yeti Problems on Expedition Everest

That thought did cross my mind…… but then I’m thinking Uni would have had a different team on it who would have prepared a much stronger base to deal with the forces at play. Also, a slower neck turn would not create the same problems as a swiping arm, right?

lazyboy97o

That thought did cross my mind…… but then I’m thinking Uni would have had a different team on it who would have prepared a much stronger base to deal with the forces at play. Also, a slower neck turn would not create the same problems as a swiping arm, right?
The problem with the yeti isn’t the base. Universal also has its own rules about overhead moving show action equipment and maintenance access.

lazyboy97o

Coming Summer 2025!

Coming 2025!

Coming Summer 2025!
Which should be taken as good news. It suggests things are either back on track or they decided to throw resources at the park to make sure it is open by then.

But I know, people were looking at pictures with visible change and convincing themselves that it was waaaay ahead of schedule.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which should be taken as good news. It suggests things are either back on track or they decided to throw resources at the park to make sure it is open by then.

But I know, people were looking at pictures with visible change and convincing themselves that it was waaaay ahead of schedule.

I look at this Summer Not-Summer thing in one of two ways:

1. Bad internal messaging: They removed the "Summer" because it was indeed going to beat Summer, but someone didn't get the memo, OR...

2. Maybe they became realistic about delivering 11 rides all working flawlessly on time. I haven't mentioned the problems of the challenges of getting new rides reliably operational (e.g., the problems Hagrid's had, or TBA). I'm not here to kick bees' nest. But there needs to be some realism versus the unbridled enthusiasm and hype.

As I've said before, I hope EU is successful. But I'm fully aware of missteps that both Disney and Universal have made that could make getting there... difficult. If they want to beat Summer, they only have 9 months to finish the buildings, build the rides, and make sure they're all operationally reliable. Each of those steps can be a handful of months to accomplish.

rd805

1. Bad internal messaging: They removed the "Summer" because it was indeed going to beat Summer, but someone didn't get the memo, OR...

2. Maybe they became realistic about delivering 11 rides all working flawlessly on time. I haven't mentioned the problems of the challenges of getting new rides reliably operational (e.g., the problems Hagrid's had, or TBA). I'm not here to kick bees' nest. But there needs to be some realism versus the unbridled enthusiasm and hype.

As I've said before, I hope EU is successful. But I'm fully aware of missteps that both Disney and Universal have made that could make getting there... difficult. If they want to beat Summer, they only have 9 months to finish the buildings, build the rides, and make sure they're all operationally reliable. Each of those steps can be a handful of months to accomplish.

I'm less concerned on the rides, and more concerned with the trees & area. I know they usually "bring in" plants, but the concrete, painting, and areas all need to kick into gear.

Andrew25

I'm leaning towards the podcast team not getting the memo. These things are recorded/planned in advance... so I'd have to imagine someone forgot to update the graphics.

Universal has the worst internal communications in the theme park industry. They just announced today a scare zone for HHN that was previously leaked on the internal team member site & had started construction with visible signage.

I'm less concerned on the rides, and more concerned with the trees & area. I know they usually "bring in" plants, but the concrete, painting, and areas all need to kick into gear.
On trees, I was worried about it initially, but Universal has been planting on a steady pace. The Monsters area already has a few mature trees in place, so not that worried.

Celestial Park seems to be the most behind due to all the heavy construction vehicles still required to come in/out of the area.. but concrete is already underway in some parts so it should all shape up quickly over these next few months. Wouldn't be surprised to see all of the concrete laid out by the end of the year. For Celestial Park landscape, they pretty much have to wait into the concrete is set in to get rid of the dirt and start laying down actual gardens.

Also, this park is using pre-fab, so any theming elements can be plopped in overnight. Not worried about the park's scenic design just yet. Tech issues/delays are to be expected though

lazyboy97o

Opening early isn’t really the sort of thing that calls for subtly and quietly changing your messaging. It is more something you want people to know. And even if you’re uncertain and don’t want to over promise then extended previews aren’t a negative either.

Why? That sort of stuff is relatively easy to put in place. It isn’t being controlled by complex ride and show control systems.

rd805

Opening early isn’t really the sort of thing that calls for subtly and quietly changing your messaging. It is more something you want people to know. And even if you’re uncertain and don’t want to over promise then extended previews aren’t a negative either.

Why? That sort of stuff is relatively easy to put in place. It isn’t being controlled by complex ride and show control systems.
I feel like a lot of the inner-workings of the attractions themselves are mostly done. I'm probably way off, but with the coasters at least testing already - i have a gut feeling that some of the dark rides are already pretty far along too. Again, maybe I'm off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom