Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

lazyboy97o

It wouldn't be my expectation that a new park opens with the same number of rides that a park that has been around for 50 years has.

Diagon sort of has 1 1/2 rides if you include the Hogwarts Express.
Yes and no. The key issue is desired/anticipated attendance. Magic Kingdom has not drastically increased its capacity (and in areas like dining has even had a net loss) that was intended to max out at accommodating 10 million guests per year.

Wendy Pleakley

Magic Kingdom has 24 rides. Epic will 11 when it opens. It'll have the same amount as Epcot. Definitely more than DHS and DAK, but not as many as MK. I'm sure the park overall will probably be fine rides wise I just think Harry Potter needs an e ticket and c or d ticket along with it. Although doesn't diagon Alley only have one ride too?

These numbers sound reasonable for Universal. Their current attendance is close to Epcot and Studios, not Magic Kingdom.

Universal has also shown they are willing and able to build new attractions quickly when they want to. If this park does gangbusters they'll expand relatively quickly.

lazyboy97o

These numbers sound reasonable for Universal. Their current attendance is close to Epcot and Studios, not Magic Kingdom.

Universal has also shown they are willing and able to build new attractions quickly when they want to. If this park does gangbusters they'll expand relatively quickly.
But Magic Kingdom was designed for those types of numbers.

Wendy Pleakley

But Magic Kingdom was designed for those types of numbers.

True, but in my experience Universal also has different attendance patterns.

It's been a few years for me but I found they would be busy during the day but popular attractions would be walk-ons in the last hour. Disney parks by comparison tend to have a consistent level of business right until closing.

I never had an issue getting everything done and then some at Universal parks. This was February though so other times might be different.

Combine that with the restrictive ticketing plan, as rumoured, and I suspect the attraction lineup will be sufficient, at least to start.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes and no. The key issue is desired/anticipated attendance. Magic Kingdom has not drastically increased its capacity (and in areas like dining has even had a net loss) that was intended to max out at accommodating 10 million guests per year.

But I would also think it comes down to cost and available resources. How much bandwidth do your creative, engineering and construction team have.

Andrew25

True, but in my experience Universal also has different attendance patterns.

It's been a few years for me but I found they would be busy during the day but popular attractions would be walk-ons in the last hour. Disney parks by comparison tend to have a consistent level of business right until closing.

I never had an issue getting everything done and then some at Universal parks. This was February though so other times might be different.

Combine that with the restrictive ticketing plan, as rumoured, and I suspect the attraction lineup will be sufficient, at least to start.
That has changed a bit with attendance increasing over the last few yaers.

DAK pretty much sees a (pre Potter) Universal-like drop off at 4-5 PM (and far quicker to empty out than IOA/USF)

USF has changed in the last few weeks now with the popularity of the drone show. The biggest issue is that Universal kinda encourages you to leave early by unfortunately closing quick service locations an hour+ before park close.
IOA is still very popular at the headliners (Spidey/Velo/Hagrid), with Hagrid consistently operating for at least an hour after park close.

Mike S

Really, only DHS is sad.

To supplement its rides lineup, DAK has a zoo, and EP has a World's Fair.

On paper, DHS should have a whole bunch of shows to supplement its paltry ride lineup, but doesn't.
True but you’d think the ride lineup would’ve expanded more than it has over 25+ years. It’s not like we got a ton of zoo expansion in that time either btw.

TalkToEthan

I wouldn't really consider the Hogwarts Express a ride, if it is than should we say the monorail is a ride? I wouldn't say that.

Monorail at its core is transportation—-simple as that. Disney knows this that’s why they give it away “free”

Hogwarts Express is both a bonafide themed out attraction and serves as transportation……Universal knows this that’s why you got to pay to ride.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Monorail at its core is transportation—-simple as that. Disney knows this that’s why they give it away “free”

Hogwarts Express is both a bonafide themed out attraction and serves as transportation……Universal knows this that’s why you got to pay to ride.
While true, I wouldn't classify it as a ride in a land. But I guess it is a just a themed experience.

Wendy Pleakley

While true, I wouldn't classify it as a ride in a land. But I guess it is a just a themed experience.

For me it's a so-so experience that exists to help sell park hopping.

I did it once just to see it, and honestly, now I'd just walk between the parks unless the wait was non-existent.

If it was a standalone attraction it would be ranked very poorly IMO.

It's fine as a way to connect the two lands and keep people immersed in the world, so it's not without value, but I didn't think it was particularly engaging.

Is it brought up here just to compare ride counts? I wouldn't consider it a major attraction by that standard.

TalkToEthan

At the risk of belaboring here:

Monorail is utterly themeless, its queue is utterly themeless and for this discussion it’s identical to Skyliner, friendship boats or bus…..free transportation on property which I appreciate.

Hogswarts Express, however, has fully fleshed out themed queues and loading stations representing their respective stops: London and Hogsmeade; immersively detailed cabins offering a story consistent with direction of travel.
Irrespective of its utility Hog Express is a legitimate attraction ——a fine one at that and commensurate with the level of excellence found in both Wizarding Worlds.

JoeCamel

At the risk of belaboring here:

Monorail is utterly themeless, its queue is utterly themeless and for this discussion it’s identical to Skyliner, friendship boats or bus…..free transportation on property which I appreciate.

Hogswarts Express, however, has fully fleshed out themed queues and loading stations representing their respective stops: London and Hogsmeade; immersively detailed cabins offering a story consistent with direction of travel.
Irrespective of its utility Hog Express is a legitimate attraction ——a fine one at that and commensurate with the level of excellence found in both Wizarding Worlds.
And then they positioned it so they could sell P2P. Sheer genius plus you can have a can of Tennent's while you ride.....

Misted Compass

I think that's more due to the location of their respective stations, with Hogwarts Express being located directly in the parks themselves.
The monorail at DL requires a park ticket to board not because of its immersion but because it has a station directly in the park.
I'd still consider Hogwarts Express a ride though, since the screens add a "show" element that takes it beyond simply being transportation (let alone the queues)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom