Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

TalkToEthan

the biggest complaint everyone has with Galaxy's Edge is that it is stuck in a timeline,

That’s the biggest complaint?

I figured the biggest complaints would be:

No traditional highly recognizable characters like Vader and yoda

No familiar settings like Hoth, Endor, capitol Coruscant or Tatooine

Cutbacks to original features

Physical separation of Star Tours and Tattooyou

Disney Analyst

the biggest complaint everyone has with Galaxy's Edge is that it is stuck in a timeline, and not one that people enjoy being stuck in.

This does the opposite, and people are complaining about continuity issues? STOP. This is the best of both worlds! We get an awesome new land style, with fun creatures, and then a callback to the one place HP fan's wanted most.

I do have to agree.

This gives us the best of the newer films. Gorgeous Paris setting, all the critters, and then takes us to the timeline we all want to experience for the big ride.

Works for me. It is magic, after all.

bwr827

No, because there's only one. Not a duplicate in another WDW park. Thats my entire point. Has nothing to do with the attractions.

The selling point is 'here's this thing that you can already do somewhere else'.
A cool new version with different aesthetics.

bwr827

Why wasn't Pokemon considered for this new park, I get it that it was rumored for Studios for a while, but Pokemon is way more beloved than this overrated franchise that has its author getting recent backlash and with good reason
Good question about Pokémon, although not as a replacement for their golden goose.

Overrated franchise, lol.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
1722475727705.png

JT3000

The first two things they talk about are a wand shop and butterbeer.

The attraction obviously is the headliner, and not what I was referring to.
Why so dishonest? These are not the land's main selling points by any means.

I also don't know why people are so obsessed with the idea that this land isn't an iconic enough location for Harry Potter fans to appreciate. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter isn't successful because it gives Potter fans exactly what they want to see, it's successful because it provides highly immersive, detailed lands for everyone to enjoy, including those of us who couldn't care less about Harry Potter. Lands that still provide a sense of place even when you know nothing about the lore behind them.

By contrast, everyone makes a big deal out of Galaxy's Edge not giving Star Wars fans what they wanted, when the real problem is it doesn't give anyone what they wanted.

Last edited:

sedati

The Ministry’s plot means it should have been in USF. The ride system is intriguing, but seems the worst for giant physical sets. I had been excited when I heard we were getting a version of the Indonimous chase from China, but feel it will be half as effective when seen from inside a box.

While true to the film, the land seems too Muggle- no whimsical architecture rendered askew from ages of time. Full scale realism with painted flourishes.

The theatre show sounds very interesting to me.

I really fear they missed the opportunity to use the parks to further expand the lore. Is this shopping area to Beauxbaxtons what Diagonal is to Hogwarts? A link to that academy would be neat. And if we’re not getting it on film, I would have loved an epic ride taking us to the great wizard war where Dumbledore fought Grindlewald during WWII

I love the potter books, films, and lands and am sure I’ll enjoy this as well. I feel this will be a land of great details but muddy in the broader strokes.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Do you have to buy a MoM wand for the EU MoM activations, or, will the ones from IoA and USF work in MoM?

Hearing that a new wand "system" is coming that will allow you to link your wand to smart phone allowing you to "keep score" and potentially work your way to new "unlockables" within the land (similar to the way the power up bands in Super Nintendo land work). The new system will be available at all three parks and will seemingly require a new wand... though if the old wands will still activate the "magic" after these upgrades is still to be seen.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
While true to the film, the land seems too Muggle- no whimsical architecture rendered askew from ages of time. Full scale realism with painted flourishes.

The Ministry of Magic ride was intended for USF until EU plans started formulating, and I agree it would have worked better (thematically) there, but the idea was too good to go unused and if they built it at USF, they would have had to come up with an equally amazing concept for EU. Was it the cheap way out? Sure. But I don't blame them. Just as how a Great Hall restaurant would make more sense at IOA, but if it ends up in EU as is rumored (where you get to it via Floo Network or Port Key), I think they'll get a pass.

As for Wizarding Paris, while I agree with your general sentiment, if not Paris, where? What other exterior locations could they do that would have any appeal? While the Paresian architecture isn't "fantastical", I do feel that setting the land in Paris allows for them too have a unique setting in which to infuse magic amongst the mundane.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Ministry of Magic ride was intended for USF until EU plans started formulating, and I agree it would have worked better (thematically) there, but the idea was too good to go unused and if they built it at USF, they would have had to come up with an equally amazing concept for EU. Was it the cheap way out? Sure. But I don't blame them. Just as how a Great Hall restaurant would make more sense at IOA, but if it ends up in EU as is rumored (where you get to it via Floo Network or Port Key), I think they'll get a pass.
MoM could've gone in USF next to Diagon taking over MiB and Simpsons. And, bam, USF is no longer a third tier park.

Then a full Minions land in EU. As Universal is touting, DM/Minions is the biggest animated franchise ever. It could've been an anchor land with an actual Minion ride and a DM ride.

As for Wizarding Paris, while I agree with your general sentiment, if not Paris, where? What other exterior locations could they do that would have any appeal?
They could've made a land out of the Weasly hovel!!

Figgy1

Hogsmead at IOA must be set no later than 1997 (the year Dumbledore dies) given that he is present in Forbidden Journey

Diagon Alley at Uni Orlando theoretically is set in early May 1998 (the year Deathly Hallows is set) given the events that take place in Escape from Gringotts)

Yet the two lands have a train that connects them that would seem to imply that they take place at the same time (which they cannot)

Ministry of Magic is set no earlier than late May 1998 so we already know that it isn't the same timeline as the other two lands... it really sets the lands to be visited in chronological order from IOA, to UOR, to EU to create the full "trilogy" as they described it. The rest of Wizarding Paris can be exactly the same as it is in Fantastic Beasts so long as they include none of the FB characters. There is no reason to assume that many of the shops and such seen in Fantastic Beasts wouldn't still be around 70-80 years later (Olivander's itself is believe is over 1600 years old by the time of the events of Harry Potter). Someone already posted that Eddie Redmayne would reprise his role, but I guess they could always have him appearing in a portrait or as a ghost or something and still keep the timeline (at least of the EU land) consistent... though honestly, if they included Newt in the "flesh", only the biggest fans would question/complain...
Newt was still alive at the time of POA

JT3000

MoM could've gone in USF next to Diagon taking over MiB and Simpsons. And, bam, USF is no longer a third tier park.
I'm going to assume you meant MIB and the Fear Factor theater, otherwise you're asking for (by far) the largest dark ride ever created (and even that would still be quite large.)

I think MIB still has some life in it and wouldn't want to see it replaced. There are certainly other things that need to go before it's even considered.

lazyboy97o

The Ministry’s plot means it should have been in USF.
The Ministry of Magic ride was intended for USF until EU plans started formulating, and I agree it would have worked better (thematically) there, but the idea was too good to go unused and if they built it at USF, they would have had to come up with an equally amazing concept for EU. Was it the cheap way out? Sure.
The land was originally Ministries of Magic.

Just because an overall similar idea was considered doesn’t mean that a meaningful amount of work was reused. Battle at the Ministry was radically re-conceived multiple times during its development history. Whatever was kicked around for Universal Studios Florida is not this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom