Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Mike S

I just meant as an opening day attraction. I think they know Super Nintendo world is a little underbuilt. I’m very glad the rest of the park is original, but there was no reason for them to stick to Osaka’s space limitations in a white space, ground up park.

Clearly they now realize that and are rushing Luigi’s. Which I agree with them, I think that’s probably the highest priority part of the park that needs an immediate expansion. They went wild with the scaling on Potter by contrast and underestimated Nintendo.
As far as I’ve been following this one reason is that there was a period where they were going back and forth on SNW going into KidZone vs. Epic and only a direct copy of Osaka would’ve actually fit in KidZone. Once that decision was made they couldn’t really change it to take advantage of more space.

BrianLo

It was a very different version which was more vertical and screen based. This is a massive Rise of the Resistance style experience with large scenes that definitely doesn't fit inside the FFL. We're talking about the largest show building Universal has create to date.

Yes sorry, you are right. Realistically only 2 acres or so in USF and MoM is 3.

Disney Analyst

Now that I've consoled myself.

I think they heard the complains about Gringotts, and hopefully this elevator ride feels very true to the movies, and the experience many of us wished we could have when we saw those in the films, and read about them in the books. I know so many of us dreamt of hopping on board and zipping through the MoM.

This was the failing of Gringotts, all we wanted was a mine cart rollercoaster through the depths of the bank. Universal failed to deliver on the expectations of everyone, and what we all really wanted.

Wendy Pleakley

Now that I've consoled myself.

I think they heard the complains about Gringotts, and hopefully this elevator ride feels very true to the movies, and the experience many of us wished we could have when we saw those in the films, and read about them in the books. I know so many of us dreamt of hopping on board and zipping through the MoM.

This was the failing of Gringotts, all we wanted was a mine cart rollercoaster through the depths of the bank. Universal failed to deliver on the expectations of everyone, and what we all really wanted.

Yep.

I think they ultimately didn't have enough space.

The full creative power of Universal with enough land to realize their visions, should be very impressive.

TalkToEthan

Why are you obsessing over two things that aren’t the main draw of this land?

…..obviously hung over from arguing Disney(Star Wars) vs Universal(Potter) in another thread, no?

as indicated by picking something so inconsequential(wand and butter beer) on a grand reveal instead of focusing on the Potter main E ticket and general land theme.

crispy

As someone who only knew about Paris and Ministry of Magic being involved... I am IMPRESSED.

This land looks stunning! Full scale 1920's Paris?! Heck yes I want to go there!

Enter the floo network? HECK YES I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT!!

Enter the full scale MoM Atrium?? AHHHHH

Get on a multidirectional Elevator like in the movies, which appears to behave very similarly and gives fans a dream come true, because we've all always wanted to enter one of those elevators?? FOR THE TRIALS OF THE VILE HATED UMBRIDGE?! (I am now dead)
The 18-year-old daughter was dying at the floo network. I think she is anticipating that the most.

I am actually looking forward to the cirque show. I think that's an element that is missing from the other Universal Parks, and I just love a good show.

Andrew25

…..obviously hung over from arguing Disney(Star Wars) vs Universal(Potter) in another thread, no?

as indicated by picking something so inconsequential(wand and butter beer) on a grand reveal instead of focusing on the Potter main E ticket and general land theme.
If you pay attention to any of the other land reveals, very little detail is revealed in order to prevent spoilers. These attractions are highly story-driven, and showcasing too much of it will ruin the awe of it.

They discussed Butterbeer & Wands because that is a significant part of the Wizarding World experience. It's been nearly 15 years since Hogsmeade first opened and there's still a consistent line of guests wanting to try Butterbeer again and again.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I am so excited for this theme park but the video of the new HP land just does not hit the same. I bet if they had a time machine they would not have themed the new land to Fantastic beasts at all. Aren't they set before Potter? So how are you going into the flu network and then seeing Umbridge? I don't know it just looks...meh. People want to be transported into the world of Harry Potter but I am not sure that FB is a world people are really clamoring to visit, if most even know it at all.
Time travel canonically exists in the Wizard World.

One thing to remember is that this land was already deep in design when people started to turn on Fantastic Beasts with the second film. They couldn’t throw all of it away so they did what they could to salvage it.
That’s not really accurate. Even very early concepts included multiple times and places.

lazyboy97o

Star Tours is not real. It is a ride on a movie set.
Only at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. That element isn’t present at Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland or Disneyland Paris.

Why wasn't Pokemon considered for this new park, I get it that it was rumored for Studios for a while, but Pokemon is way more beloved than this overrated franchise that has its author getting recent backlash and with good reason
My guess is because EU was already years into planning when they got the Pokémon rights. Also, if Pokemon was to come to EU potter still would've happened. It would've gone into a different plot of land.
There was a time when Pokémon would have opened at Universal Studios Florida before Epic Universe opened with Super Nintendo Land.

Maybe someone can establish otherwise, but I thought this attraction was quite literally planned for and subsequently lifted out of the Fear Factor plot. Epic is in part made up of cancelled expansions for USF.
This ride has gone through radically redesigns just for this park. Any lifting of the concept was just very, very vague generalities.

ThemeParkTraveller

Another strong contender for best theme park land (along with Dark Universe) for me, especially when they add a second attraction in the future. I assume the next attraction will be focused on Newt?

Rich Brownn

It's unfortunate the land is based on the Wizarding World movies, which petered out and whose design was closer to the real world than the original films, which really felt like another world.

The attraction looks impressive enough. I assume they got Imelda back to play Umbridge but anyone else will just be stock footage? Kind of hard to do a ride still focused on Harry Potter after the actors have aged out and/or moved on.
CGI and voice actors, just like Gringotts

trr1

As someone who only knew about Paris and Ministry of Magic being involved... I am IMPRESSED.

This land looks stunning! Full scale 1920's Paris?! Heck yes I want to go there!

Enter the floo network? HECK YES I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT!!

Enter the full scale MoM Atrium?? AHHHHH

Get on a multidirectional Elevator like in the movies, which appears to behave very similarly and gives fans a dream come true, because we've all always wanted to enter one of those elevators?? FOR THE TRIALS OF THE VILE HATED UMBRIDGE?! (I am now dead)
is the Floo Network in 1920's Paris also used for time travel to present-day MOM for the Trial?

Rich Brownn

Yeah, I am so excited for this theme park but the video of the new HP land just does not hit the same. I bet if they had a time machine they would not have themed the new land to Fantastic beasts at all. Aren't they set before Potter? So how are you going into the flu network and then seeing Umbridge? I don't know it just looks...meh. People want to be transported into the world of Harry Potter but I am not sure that FB is a world people are really clamoring to visit, if most even know it at all.
I'd imagine a time turner is involved, since thats the icon above the portal to the land

Rich Brownn

Hogsmead at IOA must be set no later than 1997 (the year Dumbledore dies) given that he is present in Forbidden Journey

Diagon Alley at Uni Orlando theoretically is set in early May 1998 (the year Deathly Hallows is set) given the events that take place in Escape from Gringotts)

Yet the two lands have a train that connects them that would seem to imply that they take place at the same time (which they cannot)

Ministry of Magic is set no earlier than late May 1998 so we already know that it isn't the same timeline as the other two lands... it really sets the lands to be visited in chronological order from IOA, to UOR, to EU to create the full "trilogy" as they described it. The rest of Wizarding Paris can be exactly the same as it is in Fantastic Beasts so long as they include none of the FB characters. There is no reason to assume that many of the shops and such seen in Fantastic Beasts wouldn't still be around 70-80 years later (Olivander's itself is believe is over 1600 years old by the time of the events of Harry Potter). Someone already posted that Eddie Redmayne would reprise his role, but I guess they could always have him appearing in a portrait or as a ghost or something and still keep the timeline (at least of the EU land) consistent... though honestly, if they included Newt in the "flesh", only the biggest fans would question/complain...
The correct (and only response according to out 8-hour Potter training class) when someone asks what time this area takes place in is ... "The Wizarding World Is Timeless"

rd805

the biggest complaint everyone has with Galaxy's Edge is that it is stuck in a timeline, and not one that people enjoy being stuck in.

This does the opposite, and people are complaining about continuity issues? STOP. This is the best of both worlds! We get an awesome new land style, with fun creatures, and then a callback to the one place HP fan's wanted most.

Fox&Hound

the biggest complaint everyone has with Galaxy's Edge is that it is stuck in a timeline, and not one that people enjoy being stuck in.

This does the opposite, and people are complaining about continuity issues? STOP. This is the best of both worlds! We get an awesome new land style, with fun creatures, and then a callback to the one place HP fan's wanted most.
That is a fair point. DIS should definitely loosen the reins on Star Wars land's strict timeline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom