Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Fox&Hound

Yeah, I am so excited for this theme park but the video of the new HP land just does not hit the same. I bet if they had a time machine they would not have themed the new land to Fantastic beasts at all. Aren't they set before Potter? So how are you going into the flu network and then seeing Umbridge? I don't know it just looks...meh. People want to be transported into the world of Harry Potter but I am not sure that FB is a world people are really clamoring to visit, if most even know it at all.

Surferboy567

Yeah, I am so excited for this theme park but the video of the new HP land just does not hit the same. I bet if they had a time machine they would not have themed the new land to Fantastic beasts at all. Aren't they set before Potter? So how are you going into the flu network and then seeing Umbridge? I don't know it just looks...meh. People want to be transported into the world of Harry Potter but I am not sure that FB is a world people are really clamoring to visit, if most even know it at all.
I assure you people are clamoring for a Ministry of Magic full scale area. Sure, FB doesn’t hit the same spot but the land is gonna do well just on the ministry.

Timelines don’t make sense but that never bothered anyone at Star Tours. I don’t think we need rules because if we get rules you can’t have everything kinda like Galaxy's Edge which I like but it’s hamstrung by timeline rules.

Earlie the Pearlie

If Disney stuck a second Savi's in another park, you'd all cry about it. And Savi's is a FAR better experience than the wand shop.
I, and I’m sure many others, prefer the wand shop to Savi’s. Why? I have experienced the wand shop, as it isn’t paywalled. I have never visited Savi’s and probably never will. The wand shop is beloved because it is easier to experience.

Kamikaze

I, and I’m sure many others, prefer the wand shop to Savi’s. Why? I have experienced the wand shop, as it isn’t paywalled. I have never visited Savi’s and probably never will. The wand shop is beloved because it is easier to experience.
This is the worst reasoning I've ever seen in my life.

Mike S

Well, in this case, the new shop is surrounded by a land focused on movies that even the most ardent Potter fans can't enjoy.
And yet what they built looks to follow nothing regarding those films actual plot which was the biggest complaint about them. The main ride jumps to the time period people actually care about. In other words, Universal has a better feel for what Potter fans want than Disney has with Star Wars fans.

One thing to remember is that this land was already deep in design when people started to turn on Fantastic Beasts with the second film. They couldn’t throw all of it away so they did what they could to salvage it.

Kamikaze

And yet what they built looks to follow nothing regarding those films actual plot which was the biggest complaint about them. The main ride jumps to the time period people actually care about. In other words, Universal has a better feel for what Potter fans want than Disney has with Star Wars fans.

One thing to remember is that this land was already deep in design when people started to turn on Fantastic Beasts. They couldn’t throw all of it away so they did what they could to salvage it.
Thats fine and all, but your post was basically 'they could get away with it if people cared about the area'. People don't care about Fantastic Beasts, so by your own reasoning they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

sonoma15

If Disney stuck a second Savi's in another park, you'd all cry about it. And Savi's is a FAR better experience than the wand shop.
Disagree. The wand shop is a much better experience (has much cooler effects than just some audio and lighting) and doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to do. Also sounds like this wand experience might be different from the ones in the other parks.

Surferboy567

Thats fine and all, but your post was basically 'they could get away with it if people cared about the area'. People don't care about Fantastic Beasts, so by your own reasoning they shouldn't be able to get away with it.
Your argument falls flat though, Galaxy’s Edge is also based in a timeline the vast majority of Star Wars distain. To be clear, I’m mostly not one of them that’s a story for a different thread.

The only difference is the flagship attraction is based on the thing that people (including me) actually want.

Kamikaze

Your argument falls flat though, Galaxy’s Edge is also based in a timeline the vast majority of Star Wars distain. To be clear, I’m mostly not one of them that’s a story for a different thread.

The only difference is the flagship attraction is based on the thing that people (including me) actually want.
No, because there's only one. Not a duplicate in another WDW park. Thats my entire point. Has nothing to do with the attractions.

The selling point is 'here's this thing that you can already do somewhere else'.

dav23

Some are overthinking this a bit. People love Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade because they are wonderful places to just be. In contrast, Galaxy's Edge is a post-apocalyptic junkyard with one really cool ride.

This land will succeed because it looks beautiful and has all the things that people love about the other HP lands: interactive wand displays, nicely themed streets, restaurants and butterbeer. It's a place people will want to exist in, never mind the E-ticket ride and show. IP matters only so much, and the Fantastic Beasts movies will have very little to do with people's enjoyment of this place.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Galaxy's Edge is different in that the Disney Star Wars era looks and feels like classic Star Wars. Even if you don't like the new characters, Rise of the Resistance feels like you're in an original trilogy Star Destroyer.

The Wizarding World movies just don't have the same feel as the first eight movies.

The land seems to be an odd mashup of two timelines, but it is what it is. I imagine most people won't care. Just like we accept Star Tours goes all over the place, a theme park land is more about the general experience than a strict adherence to film timelines.

Kamikaze

Why are you obsessing over two things that aren’t the main draw of this land?
I'm not 'obsessing', I'm just pointing out that something Universal is doing here would be absolutely panned if it was Disney doing it. And you two are creating cope on the fly.

Mike S

I'm not 'obsessing', I'm just pointing out that something Universal is doing here would be absolutely panned if it was Disney doing it. And you two are creating cope on the fly.
Something else to consider is that this land is coming with an entire park of new experiences. Mentioning Butterbeer and a wand shop isn’t going to disappoint anyone lol.

No one is coping here. You’re just desperate to start 💩.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

I assure you people are clamoring for a Ministry of Magic full scale area. Sure, FB doesn’t hit the same spot but the land is gonna do well just on the ministry.

Timelines don’t make sense but that never bothered anyone at Star Tours. I don’t think we need rules because if we get rules you can’t have everything kinda like Galaxy's Edge which I like but it’s hamstrung by timeline rules.
Star Tours is not real. It is a ride on a movie set.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

I feel like there is a fundamental difference though.

The light saber cost/experience is all about the experience of building a light saber and then having a neat souvenir. Other than taking pictures, there's not a lot you can "do" with your lightsaber around Galaxy's Edge (and that's fine).

The wand cost/experience is less about the experience of getting the wand (though that is a fun experience on its own), but what you can do with the wand around the land. WWoHP at EU will have interactive wand elements around the land and as such, you'll need a thematically appropriate/in universe place to sell those wands. As such, it only makes sense that all three lands have their own places to buy wands. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like the EU version will have the "wand chooses the wizard" element, but will mostly focus on the retail aspect [likely highlighting some of the FB wands]) and that's fine with me.

The interactive wand aspect at both WWoHP lands at Universal Orlando remain exceptionally popular and I'm hopeful the wand elements here will be just as neat (and possibly more technologically advanced) than the ones previously seen to really step up the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom