Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Jedijax719

There’s also supposed to be a large indoor show with puppets and special effects based on fantastic beasts. I’d expect it will actually be similar to Diagon Alley in size, as there you don’t enter the train from inside the land. The only problem I could see it having is that Diagon is iconic, and magical Paris seems like it would be pleasant, but not really ultimate wish-fulfillment.
Agreed-it seems like it will be more of a France replica with some wizarding world touches unlike the other two WW's which are straight replicas from the movies. But it will still be cool and I am guessing the cue for the ministry ride will be the ministry itself which should be fantastic.

UNCgolf

They're probably referring to the Waterworld show in their other parks. Although people also liked Kongfrontation, and that remake was hardly a classic.

Oh, I was only thinking about rides and not shows. Wasn't thinking of NLE attractions either.

Kongfrontation was good, and much better than the new Kong ride, but at least it's one of the few Universal attractions where the replacement (Revenge of the Mummy) wasn't a big downgrade.

maxairmike

Which is that? I'm trying to think of a good Universal attraction from a bad movie.

I guess Velocicoaster?

They're probably referring to the Waterworld show in their other parks. Although people also liked Kongfrontation, and that remake was hardly a classic.

Yep, Waterworld. Suppose I should have specified across all the Universal parks, not just Orlando (although they really should put it here, too).

bwr827

It is from a movie, just not a good one.
I thought the same about those Fantastic Beasts movies, but watched them with my kids over the holidays anyway and they really liked them. My daughter especially loved the creatures.

I still don’t think they’re very good, but I appreciated them more through my kids’ eyes — and they’re excited about this new Universal land.

Andrew25

This is what I alluded to with getting a little bit too far ahead of ourselves with these lumpy investments.

The question still remains not how will Disney respond to Epic Universe, but how will USF and IOA.

We know how the former (Disney is responding). They are continuing to plug away at all their parks with new lands being built and rolling out end of decade to most of their parks.

IOA has nothing currently of note on the docket this decade.

USF is going to limp along to finally maybe start to turn around their fortunes in 2030.

Epic is awesome. But it has sucked up all the air in the room from Universal's pipeline. USF's investment pipeline (that big new actual land) is an entire decade delayed. SNW was supposed to open start of this current decade.

This is where the flaws in the 'we want new gates' mantra start to come out to play.
I agree. I was actually very anti-Epic Universe when rumors started to trickle in abut a 3rd UOR park. I'd much rather prefer 2 "maximized parks" with no abandoned areas or lackluster attractions.

But, I don't think Universal will stop with the investments, they know USF needs help. My hope (and I do believe it'll happen), is that USF will see a major transformation in the next few years. I think IOA will receive very little investment.

I believe there is an expansion plot next to SNW for Pokemon
Nope - Pokemon, as of now is marked for USF in the next few years. The belief is that Luigi's Mansion will be the next mini-land at SNW @ Epic.

Will anything from the preview center be available for us folks at home? Maybe through Youtube? I'd love to see the preview.
So far, most of what will play inside is just a reuse of what's on the site. Merchandise will also go on sale on the UOR merchandise website.

Sorcerer Mickey

I agree. I was actually very anti-Epic Universe when rumors started to trickle in abut a 3rd UOR park. I'd much rather prefer 2 "maximized parks" with no abandoned areas or lackluster attractions.

But, I don't think Universal will stop with the investments, they know USF needs help. My hope (and I do believe it'll happen), is that USF will see a major transformation in the next few years. I think IOA will receive very little investment.

Nope - Pokemon, as of now is marked for USF in the next few years. The belief is that Luigi's Mansion will be the next mini-land at SNW @ Epic.

So far, most of what will play inside is just a reuse of what's on the site. Merchandise will also go on sale on the UOR merchandise website.

The announcement mentioned character meet-and-greets. Is that still happening?

Andrew25

The model is very impressive and encouraging. The Dark Universe land looks to be one of the best designed themed areas I can remember in recent memory.
Themed well... but the village portion (where the bulk of the theming is) is about half the size of IOA's Hogsmeade. It's very small and I'd imagine will be a bottleneck.

Jedijax719

For the Wizarding World, I wonder what music they will play? Will they stick with the familiar and recognizable music from the 8 HP films, or will they play the largely unrecognizable Fanstastic Beasts music that nobody knows?

some other guy

Yep, Waterworld. Suppose I should have specified across all the Universal parks, not just Orlando (although they really should put it here, too).
that was kinda funny how Fallen Angel Christopher Daniels would bounce between coasts wrestling in the Impact Zone here at Uni Orlando, then over to California to be the bad guy in Waterworld shows

Weather_Lady

As a big fan of the Universal monsters, I can't explain how lucky we are to have this coming next year.
My husband and I are thrilled with this, too. His birthday was last month and he requested this as his gift, so he could fully "prepare" for Dark Universe!
1000009241.jpg

Andrew25

In a bit of a surprising update, Universal has added 1.3K acres of land to their Development District at Epic Universe in addition to the land they owned/controlled. Most of it is either unbuildable (at least now), designated as conservation or not owned by Universal... but at least gives them control over the area's zoning and infrastructure development similar to Reedy Creek/CBOTD (albeit minor powers).

It's a good amount of land added, but really just makes it easier for Universal to get rid of some of the yellowtape that usually surrounds land development.

One key note is that Shingle Creek (a protected waterway) is a part of the district, and we shouldn't expect Universal to encroach on that area similar to the Reedy Creek waterway.

lazyboy97o

In a bit of a surprising update, Universal has added 1.3K acres of land to their Development District at Epic Universe in addition to the land they owned/controlled. Most of it is either unbuildable (at least now), designated as conservation or not owned by Universal... but at least gives them control over the area's zoning and infrastructure development similar to Reedy Creek/CBOTD (albeit minor powers).

It's a good amount of land added, but really just makes it easier for Universal to get rid of some of the yellowtape that usually surrounds land development.

One key note is that Shingle Creek (a protected waterway) is a part of the district, and we shouldn't expect Universal to encroach on that area similar to the Reedy Creek waterway.
Community develop districts do not have zoning authority. That power remains with Orange County.

The South Campus is designated as a planned development which gives Universal significant control over how they develop their property. They effectively have de facto zoning control but that ability predates and is completely separate from the CDD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom