Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

JoeCamel

In a bit of a surprising update, Universal has added 1.3K acres of land to their Development District at Epic Universe in addition to the land they owned/controlled. Most of it is either unbuildable (at least now), designated as conservation or not owned by Universal... but at least gives them control over the area's zoning and infrastructure development similar to Reedy Creek/CBOTD (albeit minor powers).

It's a good amount of land added, but really just makes it easier for Universal to get rid of some of the yellowtape that usually surrounds land development.

One key note is that Shingle Creek (a protected waterway) is a part of the district, and we shouldn't expect Universal to encroach on that area similar to the Reedy Creek waterway.
Just a note to others, Universal did not buy any new land

trr1

Just a note to others, Universal did not buy any new land
In a bit of a surprising update, Universal has added 1.3K acres of land to their Development District at Epic Universe in addition to the land they owned/controlled. Most of it is either unbuildable (at least now), designated as conservation or not owned by Universal... but at least gives them control over the area's zoning and infrastructure development similar to Reedy Creek/CBOTD (albeit minor powers).

It's a good amount of land added, but really just makes it easier for Universal to get rid of some of the yellowtape that usually surrounds land development.

One key note is that Shingle Creek (a protected waterway) is a part of the district, and we shouldn't expect Universal to encroach on that area similar to the Reedy Creek waterway.
I didn't know it was April 1st already

Andrew25

Community develop districts do not have zoning authority. That power remains with Orange County.

The South Campus is designated as a planned development which gives Universal significant control over how they develop their property. They effectively have de facto zoning control but that ability predates and is completely separate from the CDD.
Should have been more specific, county obviously still has say in what happens (which will occur whenever Universal considers doing anything with the conservation/Shingle Creek area to the east of the property).

This district does allow Universal to more easily modify zoning and will be far quicker for future changes/projects.

With that said, I created this image that makes it easier to understand how much land is part of the district. Anything within the yellow dashed lines is now part of the district.

Gold/Yellow - Current land owned by Universal Under Construction.
Purple - Current land owned by Universal not under construction (exception of the bus depot being constructed).
Green - Current land owned by Universal, but designated for transportation and/or affordable housing.

Everything else is not owned by them but falls under the district.

1718225791959.png

Other notes:
  • The land between Top Golf & the Bus Hub (not highlighted) is owned by Ripley Entertainment - doubt they sell this to Universal (at least entirely)
  • Land across the street from Top Golf is owned by Hyatt and listed as Future Hotel space. I'd imagine this land is too valuable for the company to sell off if attendance skyrockets. Prime real estate adjacent to the convention center.
  • The Rosen Shingle Creek at the bottom right is not part of the district.
  • All the unmarked to the green is the actual Shingle Creek itself and its protected wetlands.
  • W Hotel - to be built soon

lazyboy97o

This district does allow Universal to more easily modify zoning and will be far quicker for future changes/projects.
No, it does not. The district has no zoning or building authority. The are completely irrelevant to that process. As a planned development, Universal also has no real need to modify their zoning.

UpAllNight

Wonder what they‘ll do for 2025 Universal tickets sold in foreign markets like the UK.

All major tour operators and ticket sellers are pushing 2025 tickets and packages.

When Volcano Bay opened, they automatically upgraded 2 park tickets to 3 park tickets. For some reason I can’t see the same here, but might have a messy situation where people who aren’t as in tune with theme parks, turning up to Epic Universe with invalid tickets.

We must be reaching opening announcement territory, but appreciate they’ll want certainty with construction timelines.

There’s some decent(ish) ticket deals in the Uk now, but pointless buying Universal tickets if you don’t know if they’ll be valid. Strong communication from vendors, either way, will be required.

Jon81uk

There’s some decent(ish) ticket deals in the Uk now, but pointless buying Universal tickets if you don’t know if they’ll be valid.
The tickets will definitely be valid for what they are being advertised as, two or three park tickets at the current parks. As you said the unknown is Epic Universe, but that doesn’t stop the current tickets being valid for the current parks.

My guess is that one visit to Epic will be added to UK multi-day tickets already purchased.

UpAllNight

The tickets will definitely be valid for what they are being advertised as, two or three park tickets at the current parks. As you said the unknown is Epic Universe, but that doesn’t stop the current tickets being valid for the current parks.

My guess is that one visit to Epic will be added to UK multi-day tickets already purchased.

Yeah this is my concern. I can see myself spending 3 or 4 days in the new park

Sorcerer Mickey

Shame they’re not going with the classic versions.
I'm not too hung up on this. A mummy is a mummy. Frankenstein's monster didn't deviate much from the Karloff version. Dracula looks the most updated from the original Lugosi likeness but it's fine. I think the only design I'll get religious about is the Creature from the Black Lagoon, but there's no actor likeness involved in that look.

999th Happy Haunt

I'm not too hung up on this. A mummy is a mummy. Frankenstein's monster didn't deviate much from the Karloff version. Dracula looks the most updated from the original Lugosi likeness but it's fine. I think the only design I'll get religious about is the Creature from the Black Lagoon, but there's no actor likeness involved in that look.
Some of the preview center merch has Gillman’s silhouette on it among the other monsters, really just looks like a slightly buffed up version of the original design.

Weather_Lady

Shame they’re not going with the classic versions.
I understand your dismay, although I don't think the new versions (other than Dracula, who got the most dramatic update) are too dissimilar. I think Universal is just trying to strike a balance between the classic look, and a look that will seem scary or thrilling to a contemporary viewer. Even a rabid fan like myself can admit that, given the limitations in makeup effects for the earlier films (as groundbreaking as they were at the time), a faithful recreation of some of the characters might come off as almost comical to modern eyes. I think each of the updated versions is a little scarier and more believable than the original, yet instantly recognizable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom