Universal Diss!

TimeTrip

amykissangel said:
IMHO, Universal is Six Flags but bigger. The theming and magic of Disney isn't evident anywhere.

I would say they did a hell of a job theming IOA, and yes I would say there is even a hint of magic.. although not Disney's obviously ;). I still think IOA's theming is as good as any of Disney's parks.

GothMickey

TimeTrip said:
I would say they did a hell of a job theming IOA, and yes I would say there is even a hint of magic.. although not Disney's obviously ;). I still think IOA's theming is as good as any of Disney's parks.

Theming is as good as Disney's? I don't think so.... I think IOA is just Six Flags on steriods... What theming??? No sorry.. I respectfully disagree with you...

jozzmenia

Cliff said:
Now,..if you think that # 2 is closest to reality,...you are an industry idiot. Statistics to not show that at all. There ARE allot of Universal fans out there (including myself) but nothing compared to the fanbase scope that Disney has.

I don't think it's very nice to call people idiots...

But I don't think people are saying Universal is "the big dog on campus". It's really an unfair comparison. Universal has 2 parks, 3 hotels, and a nightclub strip. Disney, on the other hand, has like 15 hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and so on and so on. If they DIDN't have a bigger fan base, something would be seriously wrong. However, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of peolpe who dont come to Orlando and only do Universal. I've done it plenty of times. Either because I was low on funds, or because I was low on time - as in, I could spend one day at Universal and be satisfied. One day at Disney is just a tease and a rush and I wouldn't want to put myself through that. Universal isn't just some dark corner of Orlando that people occasionally go to when they get lost on the way to Disney. It has it's own market too.

jozzmenia

GothMickey said:
Theming is as good as Disney's? I don't think so.... I think IOA is just Six Flags on steriods... What theming??? No sorry.. I respectfully disagree with you...

It's not as good as Disney's, but it's good. Marvel Super Hero Island and The Jurassic Park area are very cool. And I LOVED Dr Seuss's part the way it was themed, and did u ride Popeye's ride and the flume ride? They had really good theming too. :)

Cliff

jozzmenia said:
I don't think it's very nice to call people idiots...

But I don't think people are saying Universal is "the big dog on campus". It's really an unfair comparison. Universal has 2 parks, 3 hotels, and a nightclub strip. Disney, on the other hand, has like 15 hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and so on and so on. If they DIDN't have a bigger fan base, something would be seriously wrong. However, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of peolpe who dont come to Orlando and only do Universal. I've done it plenty of times. Either because I was low on funds, or because I was low on time - as in, I could spend one day at Universal and be satisfied. One day at Disney is just a tease and a rush and I wouldn't want to put myself through that. Universal isn't just some dark corner of Orlando that people occasionally go to when they get lost on the way to Disney. It has it's own market too.

#2 is so ridiculas that nobody on this board would have believed it. I'm sure none of us here are "idiots" :D (with the exception of me)

Universal does make have a good business in Orlando. But they are clearly not comparable to Disney. Disney's worldwide attraction power "helps" Universal tremendously.

If the entire WDW complex disappeared tomorrow, the Orlando economic structure would be devistated. Hotels, jobs, Orlando Airport, Airlines,...all would be horribly impacted....Including Universal.

If the entire Universal/IOA complex disappeared tomorrow,...yes, that would also hurt Orlando, no doubt. But Disney would be happy and their ticket sales would barely have a dent. That really demonstrates that vast difference of how significant the two companies are.

WDW doesn't "need" Universal. Universal does need WDW... along with the entire city....and State,...and hotels,...and resturants,...and air lines....etc. Disney is the second largest employer in the entire state of FL. (second only to the FL government)

Ask any travel agent what Disney means to Florida travel!

WDW and Universal are not even in the same catagory of importance.

Thanks to millions and millions of rabid, foaming at the mouth, WDW fans everywhere!

CT

Now,..that said,..I like Universal and IOA and I think they generally do a fine job at following Walt's template for sucess.....there. They just need to dump that campaign

MagliteL13

jozzmenia said:
It's not as good as Disney's, but it's good. Marvel Super Hero Island and The Jurassic Park area are very cool. And I LOVED Dr Seuss's part the way it was themed, and did u ride Popeye's ride and the flume ride? They had really good theming too. :)

Working/Having worked for both companies, I'll admit they both have their roses and thorns. Neither companies parks skimp on theming or storytelling.

Yes, at USF, it may seem like some of the attractions are pretty random but they all have just as in depth stories as some of the Disney ones. Even Islands of Adventure has an entire story (and a rather lengthy one) as to how the Islands came to be. Take a moment in the Dueling Dragons Queue to watch the stained glass windows or Mockumentory in the RoTM Queue.

Having said that, Universal takes a different approach when it comes to Guests. The word 'no' can be used. The guest can be wrong. I'm not saying that's an incredibly bad thing either. Sometimes it's good and sometime's it's not. For me, as a guest, the one thing that Universal does better is Technical Theming (common phrases that can be used by CM or TM to enhance the theming but having a purpose. I.E. Rotm: "How many souls?" Jungle Cruise: "Come on in...see ya in about two and a half weeks.")

I know, it must seem like I've 'defended' UO a lot, but we all know why WDW is what it is. I almost sometimes think that if people gave UO a better chance without the stereotypical skewed view of a Disney fan (I'm not excluded), UO would give Disney a run for its money hopefully prompting changes in the way Disney does some things...If that made any sense.

TimeTrip

GothMickey said:
Guess I'm just taken aback by people who say there is no theming at IOA. Bad theming? not enough? bad style? Sure, but no theming? We must have different definitions of theming.

BaTWING_2000

Universal and Disney are One!!!! It's just a matter of taste...

Alright... before you start steaming about the title, listen up... Believe me, Universal and Disney are technically viewed as competitors but they work together on occasion (and probably more than you think).

If you just look at the latest example... their ad campaigns... do you really think that Disney would just sit there and take an insult like that without getting something in return... 'If I had to hug one more princess, I has going to hurl.'... I dont think so... believe me serious money and tought input was provided BY BOTH COMPANIES.... Well ok... I have no CONCRETE evidence about that... but what about this....:

In the new wonderfully created commercial compaign from Disney to target your emotions (pretty effective add eh..) who's music did they use???? UNIVERSALS!!!!!!!! (Universal's Live action 'Peter Pan')

You see... Don't pick sides... Just enjoy yourself!! Because all the 'nasty people' who gave you an 'attitude' at Universal will be working for Disney when in the near future and vice versa... ok.

It's just a matter of your taste and which park you arleady made up NOT to like!!!!! (This of course doesn't go for everyone....)

-Sincerely: BaTWING_2000

Scar Junior

disney_nutter said:
heres your main problem any of the rides u just mentioned disney didnt bulid did they no. universal bulit them. Also you telling me that disney invented the logflume because if not surley splash mountain has benn copied

Yet again, I must emphisize that a log ride is a genre of attraction - technically a subgenre of the flume ride genre. We have two in MN, one themed to Paul Bunyan at the Mall of America (MOA). They have become a staple of amusement/theme parks. Thus, Dudley Do Right isnt a rip off Spalsh Mountain and that's why it is rare to hear that argument.

Scar Junior

kcnole said:
I really don't think Universals marketing plan was to ________ of Disney fans. I think that happened although it didn't bother me, but it happened. They know that most people who travel to Orlando from out of state at least, come to see Disney. Their ad is really just trying to remind people, hey there's another park down here besides Disney, we offer something a little bit different, come check us out.

Universal knows that much of their business comes as a day trip from people coming to see Disney. When you mention Orlando to people about tourism they think of Disney and nothing else. Universals ad marketing campaign is really just saying, "Hey, don't forget about us" and also letting families know, we're not the same thing as Disney, so while you're down there come see something else that's really good but not the same.

Good post. I agree completely.

Scar Junior

Again, UO is okay. I've had fun there. I go every few years. I understand how its competition has benefited Disney guests. But here is just one reason that I would commonly refer to it as "mediocre":

Personally, I've never seen any CMs as rude as those I've encountered at UO - and especially, IOA. I'm not saying there aren't rude CMs. I'm just saying that the UO employees that I have experience with have been unfriendly.

I have been yelled at - literally yelled at- several times in the park. I have asked questions and gotten a response such as "I don't know" and then walked away from. I see them sitting, leaning, etc. in a way that Disney would never allow. I have seen them hitting on guests and asking for numbers.

Once I took off my shirt to wring it out after Popeye's ride. I was approached from behind and heard "Put the shirt back on or you're leaving the park" I turned around and said "excuse me?" and they repeated. I responded with, "Haha, calm down buddy. I am (putting my shirt back on)." No more than 10 minutes later (at Hulk) I heard an employee tell another "I can't wait to get the F*** out of here."

Things like this take away from a guest's experience.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
GothMickey said:

And I totaly think you are talking out of your hoop, no respect intended.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Scar Junior said:
Personally, I've never seen any CMs as rude as those I've encountered at UO - and especially, IOA. I'm not saying there aren't rude CMs. I'm just saying that the UO employees that I have experience with have been unfriendly.

Perhaps given the age demographic of the gusest they have to be more direct to get a response. And havnt I read on here that many of the staff left Disney and went to US because of pay? I hate to bust your bubble but there are rude people everywhere even Disney, it just perhaps that some people let it slide, where as on a cult like site like this its amunition to blast the competition.

If Universdal is so cr@p why worry about what it does, as you all say its nothing to Disney.

And my granny was a storm trooper.

Cliff

Pumbas Nakasak said:
I hate to bust your bubble but there are rude people everywhere even Disney....

This is the most ridiculas and outrageous statement I have ever heard in my life....Man, you are way out there in left field.

Now,...leave our bubbles alone!

CT :lookaroun

TimeTrip said:

:) I think you missed where I said "In my honest opinion" and where I said "Disney magic isn't evident anywhere." It was just my opinion, and obviously there's no Disney magic there because it's not Disney:animwink: ...that's the only point I was trying to make. And if you'll read the rest of the post, I did say "to each their own." Whatever you like, you like. Just because I'm not the biggest fan doesn't mean I'm going to tell others not to be. Go, enjoy IoA...it's a cool place to be sure.

BTW, this was in no way meant to be mean, I just wanted to clarify what I said earlier:wave:

Kal_el8604

hammysammy59 said:
Seriously.

"So I was being a complete bag to some stranger who was just trying to do his job, and he gave me the finger!! Can you believe it!?"

i think this is the funniest thing i've read on the boards....except of course the whole CBJ thing......

anywho, i agree, you are a . I like both Universal and WDW, the only reason I like disney better i because it doesn't feel like any old amusment park, that and it actually has some history behind everything in it...oitherwise they bothe are great

~LeeLee~

Kal_el8604 said:
i think this is the funniest thing i've read on the boards....except of course the whole CBJ thing......

anywho, i agree, you are a ...

:lol: really did make me laugh out loud!

casconi said:
Funny story that I thought my fellow Disney enthusiasts would appreciate....I am doing an internship for Raymond James Financial, and I am sitting in the office and a man walks in who was a rep for Universal Studios and offered a package deal of four tickets to both parks for 99 dollars. I pulled out my annual pass to Disney and told him that unfortunately this year I wouldnt be able to squeeze in any "mediocre" parks....as he kind of chuckled he walked out and I told him to check out my antenna on my truck (it is sporting one of those Disney w/ the Sorcerers hat Antenna balls), and tell me what he thought....after looking at it, he actually looked back in through the window and flicked me off...HAH, guess thats the difference between Universal and "us", we would never do such a thing...!

Wow, I don't know where YOU'RE interning, but they must be pretty lenient when it comes to their interns showing people who come in respect...

Scar Junior

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't he illegally soliciting? I mean... you were at work and he came in and tried to selll you something while you were in the building. That sounds like solicitation to me.

No, not that kind of solicitation. Get your minds out of the gutter!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom