Universal Diss!

Scar Junior

GothMickey said:
I am not a fan of Universal.. But I would have never acted like that... You were upset he flicked you off and said "WE" would never act like that.. Well, truth be told, "WE" would never act like YOU... Please do not lump me, a Disney fan, into your class.. because, what you did, was low class in my book..

yeah, i heard the people in the financial industry are low class.:animwink:

...especially when compared to gothic people

Haha, i thought it was hilarious. its probably an exact quote of what i would have said in that situation. keep up the good work!

Scar Junior

disney_nutter said:
cudnt agree more, whos up for more universal bashing as it seems to be quite strong at the minute

all he said was that it was mediocre? this is hating, bashing, ripping, being rude? i personally don't see it that way. but oh well.

i feel the perfect word for the universal parks is 'mediocre', doesn't mean i hate it. i rip on it but i don't hate it. i rip on my friends but don't hate them.

there is a difference between spite and spirited jokes. it's not like universal doesn't know they're in second place.

GothMickey

Scar Junior said:
yeah, i heard the people in the financial industry are low class.:animwink:

...especially when compared to gothic people

Haha, i thought it was hilarious. its probably an exact quote of what i would have said in that situation. keep up the good work!

Don't knock goths.. Goths are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.. nicer than "normal" people... By the way, I am not goth... And I work in the financial industry... and there are a lot of low class people in the industry... but the good people out weigh the bad....

I don't understand why there seems this need to criticise competition to Disney. We come over from the UK for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and whilst Disney is our favourite we come over for the 'Orlando' experience including Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch and the many other small attractions in and around the area. All of these attractions have plus points and Universal scores well on thrill rides but not so well on the overall 'experience and theming'. When we come over from the UK we just appreciate that there is this massive choice of different parks and attractions and try to do as many as we can in the time we have - I totally agree with a previous post in that the better other parks get in the area, the more likely Disney will put greater effort in to improving their own parks and resorts to keep ahead of the competition. Finally. with reference to the first post I think it was particularly rude as the person is only trying to make a living for himself and his family. When we holiday both in Orlando and in Europe you do get pestered by, for example, timeshare operators, however I appreciate they are only trying to make a living and say 'no thankyou'. Though I agree he shouldn't have sunk to your level and made a gesture back.

Only 10 weeks till we hit AKL for 3 weeks.......

tink81

What the hell were you thinking?! You are an INTERN, you don't act like that. If you were interning in my office, you would be out on your sweet bibby thinking you could talk to someone (a customer) like that. Brilliant career move.:rolleyes:

Tinkerbella16

I don't think theres any reason to get upset because of what he did...he's a TRUE disney fan so he wants to flaunt it. Come on isn't this site WDWMAGIC.com??? Its for all who love disney and will do or say anything to make it look better than anywhere else. People come on here all the time and criticize the attractions at WDW so much, so why can't he do the same for Universal??? If the man who flipped him off was that hurt about a lil humor than he would've cried and said something right away...instead he was also immature and flipped him off...what does that go to show???

will_rogers

jane.steve11 said:
I don't understand why there seems this need to criticise competition to Disney. We come over from the UK for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and whilst Disney is our favourite we come over for the 'Orlando' experience including Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch and the many other small attractions in and around the area. All of these attractions have plus points and Universal scores well on thrill rides but not so well on the overall 'experience and theming'. When we come over from the UK we just appreciate that there is this massive choice of different parks and attractions and try to do as many as we can in the time we have - I totally agree with a previous post in that the better other parks get in the area, the more likely Disney will put greater effort in to improving their own parks and resorts to keep ahead of the competition. Finally. with reference to the first post I think it was particularly rude as the person is only trying to make a living for himself and his family. When we holiday both in Orlando and in Europe you do get pestered by, for example, timeshare operators, however I appreciate they are only trying to make a living and say 'no thankyou'. Though I agree he shouldn't have sunk to your level and made a gesture back.

Only 10 weeks till we hit AKL for 3 weeks.......

Nobody bashes SeaWorld and the other attractions b/c their management has class, doesn't bash it's competition and works on expanding their market as well as catering to the niche markets (brewing education, wildlife, etc).

I spent 7 years working at UO and at one time wanted to make a career there but the company sucks. I do think that the UO product is mediocre and management is terrible. I can tell you stories that would make you wonder how that place is still in business and how they aren't sued. Now I think UO does have some good things and if they weren't in Orlando they'd have a better image (in other words, no "in your face" reminder that #1 is right down the street).

Last time I voiced my opinion on this site I got attacked. The truth is, besides working in the biz, I've spent years analyzing the industry, reading reports, journals, news, listening to management interviews, talking with execs, front line employees, etc. Hell, my degree was almost in theme park management but i realized there is no money in that. Now I'm conferences and conventions for another local comapny and own my own e-commerce business development company.

ANd BTW, U360 was a let down. THe images were distorted, the pyro made no sense and did not compliment the video (except T2 scene), nm the fact that there was almost no pyro. And those screens are eyesores in the park. They didn't even take away the photo spot signs where you used to be able to take pics of the cityscape. Now you see what you're supposed to take a pic of on the sign and in reality, a big ugly white sphere. Way to go UO!!

Both sets of die hard fans have their biases but reagrdless, I'll take the Disney's side anyday!

jozzmenia

will_rogers said:
Nobody bashes SeaWorld and the other attractions b/c their management has class, doesn't bash it's competition and works on expanding their market as well as catering to the niche markets (brewing education, wildlife, etc).

In my opinion, and I don't work in the industry, Universal's primary market is the people who live in or come to Orlando thinking that Disney is too expensive and is just for very young children. So the 9 year old boy who thinks he's an adult already and doesn't care to much about Tinkerbell might see the commercials and think Universal is more fun and beg his parents to go there. Or the college students on Spring Break might op to go there. Or the young couple on their first vacation together...

I think it's just the business. Getting those people. If universal didn't say "we're the thrill park, Disney's the kiddie park", what would their appeal be??

Cliff

I think Universal's marketing department made a bad business decision.They started that whole "Come to us because we arent Disney" campaign. ( we don't have that "pixie dust" crap here)

I don't think you can grow your market share by putting down Disney like that. In other words,..I don't think they can gain ticket sales by "ing off" the massive Disney fanbase that they are trying to tap into.

Would Coke sell more soda if they tried to "insult" (even just mildly) Pepsi fans?

CT

jmvd20

My theme parks are way better than your theme parks!

Yea, well my dad is stronger than yours!

Oh yea, well my dad makes more money than yours!

(Teacher runs into playground pointing finger)

All right, both of you, go to the time out corner NOW!

Scar Junior

Cliff said:
I think Universal's marketing department made a bad business decision.They started that whole "Come to us because we arent Disney" campaign. ( we don't have that "pixie dust" crap here)

I don't think you can grow your market share by putting down Disney like that. In other words,..I don't think they can gain ticket sales by "ing off" the massive Disney fanbase that they are trying to tap into.

Would Coke sell more soda if they tried to "insult" (even just mildly) Pepsi fans?

CT

First of all, it's "pop" not "soda." j/k

I agree with you, but there is that question in many guests minds when they want thrills and don't feel they get enough of them at Disney. However, I don't think this demographic is large enough.

BTW, does anybody know the numbers as far as Universal's return on their IOA/City Walk expansion? How much have they made in those areas? How much did it cost? How much is their running cost?

jozzmenia

Cliff said:

CT

I don't think that Universal insults Disney FANS in any way. I don't even think they insult Disney at all. And I'm a Disney fan. I just think they are trying to distinguish themselves, like "here's why u would want to go here and not there"... and who wouldn't?

The reason that I keep defending the strategy is because I know that it works. My boyfriend TOTALLY buys into and thinks Disney is basically a park with fairy tales and princesses, and he's never been. So I have to constantly try to convince him otherwise. I've seen others who have never been who feel the same way. Both parks have their supporters. there are people who are going to prefer universal no matter what, and there are people who are going to prefer Disney no matter what. That's not the people u market to. You market to the ones who haven't made up their mind yet. Universal wants to get people to come to Orlando and see universal without ever having Disney to compare it too. If u get to disney first then universal, u probably prefer disney. but if u go to universal 1st, then see Disney's prices, u might say "why pay all this to see tinkerbell when i already had a blast at universal?" universal is a FANTASTIC park when u judge it on it's own and not make the comparison. see what i'm saying?

Astronaut Jones

You let that Universal guy off easy. Man, if somebody tried to sell me Universal tickets, I'd be *BAM* and break a bottle across his face, burn his car and smoke cigarettes.

abian

Astronaut Jones said:
You let that Universal guy off easy. Man, if somebody tried to sell me Universal tickets, I'd be *BAM* and break a bottle across his face, burn his car and smoke cigarettes.
You let that Universal guy off easy too and failed to be a die hard Disney fan.

abian

jmvd20 said:
My theme parks are way better than your theme parks!

Yea, well my dad is stronger than yours!

Oh yea, well my dad makes more money than yours!

(Teacher runs into playground pointing finger)

All right, both of you, go to the time out corner NOW!
Haha this is so familiar.

abian

Cliff said:

CT
yeah. Disney fans are even "ed off" by their nighttime show that it "looks" like illuminations. And what's wrong with "we don't have the "pixie dust" or "princesses hug" ?

Astronaut Jones

abian said:
You let that Universal guy off easy too and failed to be a die hard Disney fan.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but I was joking by the way. See I woundn't actually assualt somebody and light their car on fire. I wasn't defending the dude that started this thread, he seems alittle meanspirited.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Cliff said:

CT

On this side of the water we are much more cynical and Universals adds would hit a target.

Was Pepsis add "the choice of a new generation" not a dig at Coke.

If your top of the tree you have to expect competition to come after you.

T-1MILLION

EpcotServo said:
You pretty much had that coming. I'm so sick and tired of Disney fans and Universal fans thinking that they're better than each other. If you don't like universal, get over it. Nobody's making you come. I just don't understand why people think that you can only choose Disney or Universal, and not like both. I'm proud to say that I love Disney, and like Universal. Everest is my favorite ride, dosen't mean I have to hate Mummy. the great new Universal 360 show is (dare I say it!) as good as Wishes in my humble opinion. That dosen't mean that I have to choose between which is better, I can just say that both are great shows. Anyways, like I said. Give Universal a chance. (And Universal fans-give Disney a chance.) If you don't like it, don't go. But don't disrespect others' opinions.

Well said. I always just love and enjoy that I am lucky enough to live in FL where I have both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom