Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

Tom

Beta Return
And a blazing 24 month turnaround on repurposing a meet n' greet tent & the best performing gift shop in the MK...

It amazes me how long Disney can make a project last. Of course, when it comes to resort hotel work, they knock it out quickly. Based on my observations, the GF DVC is going up mightly quickly. And the major Poly refurb is going to be extremely fast-tracked. But every minute a hotel room isn't open, or is taken out of service, is money lost. Dragging out construction so that land/ride openings happen at certain times is strategic marketing.

Tom

Beta Return
So I wasn't hearing things when I heard 18 months to do build Transformers in SS44 plot... Nice!!!!!

The Transformers at SS44 was almost a given, based on all the info we've received lately (with the location of the crane summing it up :rolleyes:), but the 18 mos is extremely aggressive. But, since it's a cookie cutter of the CA version, there's no reason they can't build it in a timely manner.

Too bad Disney can't do the same (TSMM, LM, etc).

Captain Chaos

The Transformers at SS44 was almost a given, based on all the info we've received lately (with the location of the crane summing it up :rolleyes:), but the 18 mos is extremely aggressive. But, since it's a cookie cutter of the CA version, there's no reason they can't build it in a timely manner.

Originally people were saying 13 months... 13 months is very aggressive... I figured 18 sounded right...

twebber55

It amazes me how long Disney can make a project last. Of course, when it comes to resort hotel work, they knock it out quickly. Based on my observations, the GF DVC is going up mightly quickly. And the major Poly refurb is going to be extremely fast-tracked. But every minute a hotel room isn't open, or is taken out of service, is money lost. Dragging out construction so that land/ride openings happen at certain times is strategic marketing.
thought the exact same thing...looks like Grand Flo is getting thrown up quickly and FLE is in slow mo

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be honest I don't really see why people are hesitant about sharing information that was posted by someone else on a public forum. There is nothing illegal about it and unless you are directly employed by the company, I fail to see the worry

Bzzzt

If someone comes after you for publishing trade secrets, copyrighted material, or other material that is not your own - 'who did it first' has absolutely zero bearing on anything.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally people were saying 13 months... 13 months is very aggressive... I figured 18 sounded right...

Granted, they could just be slapping together yet another warehouse and putting a ride inside. I haven't seen the one in CA, so I don't know if they do much theming on the outside, but given the nature of most buildings in the FL park, there might be some facades on one or two walls. Much easier than an acre of faux rockwork.

RSoxNo1

It's actually called the "Craneium Command" standard. Please try to keep up. o_O
Brilliant

Honestly though, Transformers and the Potter additions are examples of Universal swinging big. They know Transformers will be a hit so they're tripling up on that. They know Potter is a hit so they're tripling up on that. If this type of aggressive building doesn't raise the stakes in the Theme Park Wars, nothing will.

Jim Handy

I was caught off guard with this project, like many. It is very exciting. Universal is getting reay to do great things.

I suggest everyone interested save that image before it goes away.

HenryMystic

I was caught off guard with this project, like many. It is very exciting. Universal is getting reay to do great things.

I suggest everyone interested save that image before it goes away.
Pretty sure everyone outside of a handful of people were. I remember seeing the initial Notice of Commencement on June 11th and just wondering if it could possibly be for SS44. I had no idea then that a month later, this would be happening. Crazy stuff. Fun!

WDW1974

December 2013.
Transformers.

You just had to go and do that, didn't ya?

What an attention ... we both got it at the same time ... and since I was off talking to a crazy redneck in Texas you had to post it.

Couldn't we have just waited to see who else would put it out?

Or are you angling for the Top MAGICal Insider 2012 award (to be given out at some fanboi dessert reception -- I always have fanbois for dessert myself:eek:o_O:D -- around the non-event EPCOT 30th?)

WDW1974

No ... Disney takes FIVE years to build/re-work a portion of Fantasyland and then opens it in piecemeal fashion ... I'll bet they'll have a Parks Blog post soon announcing a new ODV cart in Storybook Circus.

UNI means business and they're showing it. Disney is just doing more of the same. Sorry, fanbois, but 'tis true.

WDW1974

Brilliant

Honestly though, Transformers and the Potter additions are examples of Universal swinging big. They know Transformers will be a hit so they're tripling up on that. They know Potter is a hit so they're tripling up on that. If this type of aggressive building doesn't raise the stakes in the Theme Park Wars, nothing will.

You have to first acknowledge there is a war and then prepare and do battle. Disney is doing neither. So, perhaps you are looking at Sea World as UNI's foe.

In CA., it is a different story. But we are talking Orlando here, aren't we?

HenryMystic

You just had to go and do that, didn't ya?

What an attention ... we both got it at the same time ... and since I was off talking to a crazy redneck in Texas you had to post it.

Couldn't we have just waited to see who else would put it out?

Or are you angling for the Top MAGICal Insider 2012 award (to be given out at some fanboi dessert reception -- I always have fanbois for dessert myself:eek:o_O:D -- around the non-event EPCOT 30th?)
I have it too and am still debating on posting it in another realm. I fear the fury of Universal lawyers.:eek:

HenryMystic

You have to first acknowledge there is a war and then prepare and do battle. Disney is doing neither. So, perhaps you are looking at Sea World as UNI's foe.

In CA., it is a different story. But we are talking Orlando here, aren't we?
Speaking of the California war, have you seen Universal Hollywood's new master plan? They've scrapped the residential development and have new plots set aside for new attractions/expansion and a hotel.

WDW1974

I have it too and am still debating on posting it in another realm. I fear the fury of Universal lawyers.:eek:

I don't fear UNI's lawyers like Disney's ... they are the worst. And I can't help but think (as someone who has been a benefactor of so much leakage -- boy, that sounds bad!) that UNI isn't nearly as concerned with things getting released as Disney is.

Speaking of the California war, have you seen Universal Hollywood's new master plan? They've scrapped the residential development and have new plots set aside for new attractions/expansion and a hotel.

Yes. I knew it was coming for a while. The residential aspect never made much sense to me and clearly in this market the land is so much more valuable for 'other things' ... there was a short piece on this in today's Hollywood Reporter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom