Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

71jason

was there in may and uni had loads of dc comics merchadise in the shop after the terminator ride but i dont think this means they are going to build a ride based on it.

This. The T:2 shop has been used as a generic comic book/"genre movie" merch store for a while now. As I recall they even had a few Batman props on display (ca. Tim Buton era I think). I wouldn't take it as a sign that Uni has inked a deal with DC.

Horizonsfan

This. The T:2 shop has been used as a generic comic book/"genre movie" merch store for a while now. As I recall they even had a few Batman props on display (ca. Tim Buton era I think). I wouldn't take it as a sign that Uni has inked a deal with DC.

I seem to recall busts of star wars characters in there this past December. Do you think they're going to build a Star Wars attraction anytime soon? ;)

Timekeeper

Trucks carrying gravel continue to access the lot during park hours, from the Beetlejuice gate.

SS44_truck.jpg

maxairmike

I take it you did what I couldn't since I didn't have my camera; take pictures over the wall? ;)

I would have if my battery weren't almost dead and charging at home.

cheezbat

Can we drop the "marvel being sold back to Disney" talk on this thread? Its really old and there's still ZERO evidence that its going to happen.

You do realize that even if they have aquired rights to DC Comics characters, that doesn't exactly mean they're getting rid of the Marvel characters. There's nowhere in the contract stating Universal can't Do attractions elsewhere on property relating to other comic company's franchises. Heck, for all we know they could be doing a Spawn or Witchblade or Hellboy attraction and they could still have the rights to Marvel as well!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You do realize that even if they have aquired rights to DC Comics characters, that doesn't exactly mean they're getting rid of the Marvel characters. There's nowhere in the contract stating Universal can't Do attractions elsewhere on property relating to other comic company's franchises. Heck, for all we know they could be doing a Spawn or Witchblade or Hellboy attraction and they could still have the rights to Marvel as well!

Back in the late 1970's, Disney had an attraction with Coke as a sponsor AND an attraction with Pepsi as a sponsor.

So, in other words, strange things have happened before

Captain Chaos

Well the birdies seem to be chirping which means an announcement any day now... But, SS44 is Transformers... Who said perma-haunt??? LOL........

Thrill Seeker

Now would be a great time for an announcement. I'd love to see the one two k.o. punch of Transformers and London announced at the same time, but most likely, we'll only get Transformers...

lazyboy97o

Who said perma-haunt??? LOL........
I am a little amazed that this story continues to make the rounds. It never made much sense. Why rush for such a thing now? Why not use the space as planned for Halloween Horror Nights and then demolish for a year round haunt to open in September 2013?

Omnimover

Any idea when we might hear an announcement? I'm expecting to be deluged with Universal ads during the upcoming Olympics on NBC (corporate synergy and all that), so having a new upcoming attraction to push makes a lot of sense. I'd imagine people are tiring of the Potter ads that have been running ad-nauseum for the past three years. If there's a new tentpole attraction due to open in about a year, the time to start selling those vacations is now.

Captain Chaos

I am a little amazed that this story continues to make the rounds. It never made much sense. Why rush for such a thing now? Why not use the space as planned for Halloween Horror Nights and then demolish for a year round haunt to open in September 2013?

Not just that but others have said Universal is trying to get away from Team Members being the characters in attractions, which means T2 isn't long for this world either... if they are trying to get away from that, then the haunted house idea from USH is a no go based on that... of course, I have no proof of this that Universal is moving in that direction, only going with what others have said...

But, what i think we can take into account is the fact that this project was fast tracked not only because the project is huge but also because Universal has a large sum of money sitting in the account and would have been hit with a huge tax bill from Uncle Sam... So, in order to take money off the books, this project was fast tracked to increase spending and lower the taxes that would have to be paid... again, take that with salt... No verifiable proof this is the case either... Just something else I read... Makes sense though...

lazyboy97o

Not just that but others have said Universal is trying to get away from Team Members being the characters in attractions, which means T2 isn't long for this world either... if they are trying to get away from that, then the haunted house idea from USH is a no go based on that... of course, I have no proof of this that Universal is moving in that direction, only going with what others have said...
I really do hope Terminator 2: 3D stays. I quite enjoy the attraction and being more than just a film, even if some parts don't quite make sense, is a big part of that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any idea when we might hear an announcement? I'm expecting to be deluged with Universal ads during the upcoming Olympics on NBC (corporate synergy and all that), so having a new upcoming attraction to push makes a lot of sense. I'd imagine people are tiring of the Potter ads that have been running ad-nauseum for the past three years. If there's a new tentpole attraction due to open in about a year, the time to start selling those vacations is now.

Anything of significance built at SS44 would be at least a year if not more away from opening, so there wouldn't be any value in starting to advertise it now.

maxairmike

Anything of significance built at SS44 would be at least a year if not more away from opening, so there wouldn't be any value in starting to advertise it now.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a fast timeline. If they really want to, they could have this thing up in just over a year from opening (and they do want it up before Potter). Transformers in 13 months from the date of the permits is what I was told when the permits broke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom