Universal becoming more popular than Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiversideBunny

Walt Disney World isn't really in competition with Universal Studios.

What the Disney excecutives have to consider is that WDW is in competition with other vacations selections, such as going to the beach, going to the mountains, Europe, Hawaii, cruises, hiking, back packing, London, Paris, Spain, Banff, Las Vegas, etc.

Their job is to keep the family coming back to the Disney parks.

Universal Studios is just a fly on the elephant's butt.
The world's other vacation spots are WDW's competition.

:)

DisneyYorkian74

"Disney is God"

You can't be surprised when some people take that approach after reading a thread like this.

People are going to get defensive after they read people who are basically trashing Disney while only praising Universal.

People feel like they're not allowed to like both and that they have to choose sides.

If people decided to bring up positives from both resorts without resorting to saying things like "Disney sucks, Universal Rocks!" (or vice versa), then maybe we'd see a lot less fanboy behaviour on these internet forums.

All that being said, I'm really not surprised that you heard those comments while on your trip.

A couple things I've noticed is that Floridians seem to hate Disney and have no problem bashing the place. (Although I'm not saying that Floridians made those comments)

But ultimately the numbers don't lie... WDW blows Universal's attendance numbers out of the water (50 million guests per year for WDW VS. 13 million guests per year for Universal).

People are aware of Universal but the majority choose not to go for whatever reason.

krankenstein

You can't be surprised when some people take that approach after reading a thread like this.

People are going to get defensive after they read people who are basically trashing Disney while only praising Universal.

People feel like they're not allowed to like both and that they have to choose sides.

If people decided to bring up positives from both resorts without resorting to saying things like "Disney sucks, Universal Rocks!" (or vice versa), then maybe we'd see a lot less fanboy behaviour on these internet forums.

All that being said, I'm really not surprised that you heard those comments while on your trip.

A couple things I've noticed is that Floridians seem to hate Disney and have no problem bashing the place. (Although I'm not saying that Floridians made those comments)

But ultimately the numbers don't lie... WDW blows Universal's attendance numbers out of the water (50 million guests per year for WDW VS. 13 million guests per year for Universal).

People are aware of Universal but the majority choose not to go for whatever reason.

That is exactly what I was saying with my comment you highlighted. Anyone who has experienced both should be able to recognize that Universal and Disney are both quality experiences. I am not bashing either or.

My comment simply means that as long as someone looks at the situation rationally and objectively, they will see that Universal is closest facility of its type to Disney. No other company has even come close to duplicating the experiences that Universal and Disney offer.

As a current Disney AP holder and a former Universal AP holder, I have experienced both on numerous occasions and will continue to enjoy my time and both facilities. Nevertheless, Disney is still #1 in my book!

Rockin Roller

NO!!!!!

With the economy doing poor Disney is one of few companies that has reported positive and it's because people go to Disney rather than a new vacation experince because they know what they will get. Great service, dining, resort, and recreation. Universal has only rides.

Wilt Dasney

What the Disney excecutives have to consider is that WDW is in competition with other vacations selections, such as going to the beach, going to the mountains, Europe, Hawaii, cruises, hiking, back packing, London, Paris, Spain, Banff, Las Vegas, etc.

Maybe you're right, but I have a hard time believing this is the case. People are debating whether to go to Disney or visit Europe? I would imagine if Europe is on the list of options for you, Disney World probably isn't making you reconsider that. (Unless you're European, in which case WDW is an overseas trip.) :lol:

And I don't really see anything at Disney that places it in competition with Las Vegas.

I think Universal (minus the encompassing full resort aspect) is about the closest thing to Disney anywhere.

DisneyYorkian74

Maybe you're right, but I have a hard time believing this is the case. People are debating whether to go to Disney or visit Europe? I would imagine if Europe is on the list of options for you, Disney World probably isn't making you reconsider that. (Unless you're European, in which case WDW is an overseas trip.) :lol:

And I don't really see anything at Disney that places it in competition with Las Vegas.

I think Universal (minus the encompassing full resort aspect) is about the closest thing to Disney anywhere.

I have to agree RiversideBunny and say that Disney is a lot more worried about other popular family vacation destinations stealing business than the rival theme parks that are right across the street.

Universal and Sea World still bring people to Orlando with a chance of those people also visiting WDW during their trip, while other vacation destinations will bring people to other parts of the world/country with a zero chance of those people visiting WDW.

Of course there is still competition between WDW and the other theme parks in Orlando...

But I have a hard time believing WDW is really scared of a rival theme park resort next door that only pulls in 1/5th the attendance of WDW.

tkerbell

Loving both for different reasons.

Family of five, DH, DSx3 (14, 12, & 7) and me.

On our trips to Orlando, we go to IOA and US and we can do them in 1 (read ONE) day. maybe 2 if the boys want to repeat a ride - which we have been known to do. Universal is a great diversion for us and again for different reasons - we enjoy the "thrill" rides and we enjoy the parks themselves.

As far as Disney is concerned - We could spend 2 days in each park and still want more. I am not sure of the exact appeal for my family but we love the whole Disney experience, the dining, the characters, the CM's who can sometimes create more magic then expected....Disney is more than a place - it is feeling, it is "home" -

If I really want "thrill rides" I can drive 2 hours in either direction of my house and be at King's Dominion (add another hour or so and be in Williamsburg for Busch Gardens) or I can be at Hershey Park -

My point - You can love both, the are monumentally different, they serve different purposes and yet they satisfy whatever it is you are seeking.....

Cheers!!!

RiversideBunny

On this web site we are almost all WDW nuts and thus couldn't dream of going anywhere else on vacation.

Considering the general family population though, the biggest fear of Disney park executives would seem to be those customers developing a feeling of 'been there, done that; let's do something else'.
So they have to keep making WDW interesting by always adding new additions and things to do.
Boredom is the enemy and other vacation types are the competition- not Universal Studios, which is basically an Orlando parasite living off mouse droppings.

They don't want families saying 'Let's go to a dude ranch in Colorado this year' or 'Cancun looks like the place to be now', or 'Let's rent a beach house instead'.

IMHO, of course.

:)

Spike-in-Berlin

I have never been to US so i cannot compare. I thought about going there during my last WDW-vacation, there are some rides and other attractions I find definitely interesting, e.g. the Twister-attraction which is of particular interest to me as a storm buff. But so far i always thought this way: Any day I spend at US I loose for WDW. And as I am German and a trip to WDW is an intercontinental trip I so far always decided that another day at WDW is just more valuable (and by the way cheaper, that's why WDW changed their pass system so another day costs only a few bucks more). I don't think the theming in US can compare with WDW. I know the coaster rides at US and IOA are far more thrilling than most disney-coasters which to date do not even feature an inversion with the exception of RRC- but I do not care because the theming is far superior. If I compare the coasters of IOA and WDW I realize, that the US-coasters are just some constructions which do not differ much from amusement park rides.But there is no disney-coaster where you actually SEE it's a coaster because the construction is either covered with landscaping (EE, BTMR) or in the dark (SM). When I ride EE it's a small adventure, a journey into the himalayan mountains, with a highly elaborated queing area. Is there a comparable theming in the US-coasters?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The only thing that a thread like this can guarantee, is that a huge amount of excreta will be spouted as fact by people who havent a clue.

mro415

spider man is good no doubt about it but..
No park will ever be as popular as Disney. End of discussion.:slurp:

RedBaron

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned small children. There are very very few things for small kids at Universal. DH and I are absolutely thrill ride people and have visited Universal a few times in connection with WDW. One trip we even stayed at US instead of WDW and spent 6 days at US and only 1 at MK/MGM.

Ever since we had our fist DS we have looked into taking him to US. It's not worth it. There are only a few rides at each park that he is big enough for and forget about our younger son (16 months) there is practically nothing for him.

We will be soley WDW bound until they are both big enough for ALL the rides at US. WDW will for always be our first choice of places though. There is just way more things to see/do on WDW property.

I was just about to post that same thing. I have been to US 4 times since it has opened. I have enjoyed myself while I was there, and spend maybe 1/2 a day and I am ready to go back to WDW (I am not a thrill ride person, so many things did not appeal to me). Now that I have kids, I see no reason to go there again for quite a while. My daughter is 4 and my son is 21 months. I really cant think of anything for them to enjoy for a whole day. I want to be able to ride things or see shows with my family. However when they are 10 or so, I will totally take them there for a day or 2, but the bulk of my stay in the Orlando area will be at WDW. For the person who might think US is like 6 Flags, it is not even close, it is 100 times better. If you are going with adults or have kids older than 10, by all means, take them to US, you will most likely have a great time.

Universal is far more superior!!! Everyone should go there!!!

Especially Sept 7th - 17th and December 8th - 13th.

(Then we'll have WDW to ourselves...:drevil:)

lscott933

ok so disney has 50 millions people a year and universal has 13 million as stated early. but how many of the disney people go there more then once a year and more then once there on there trip that is magic kingdom . i would say like 70 percent. i would say 90 percent go once a year to universal. so that saying it would be like it would be 15 million people really coming to disney and 11.7 going to universal studio's. as well as a average to universal is two and disney is five to six nights a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom