Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannab@dis

Tracks N Slabs said:
Consider this the opening volley in the 2007 contract talks.

That's the problem... it's an adversarial process that doesn't consider the employee or company's best interest. Only the union.

Talking about ignorance...

speck76

Original Poster
When Disneyland opened, Minimum Wage was 75cents/hour..... ($1,500 per year)

to reach $23 per hour in today's $$, they would have been paid $3.55 per hour in 1963 $$.....I guarantee that is not the case....

The average salary in the US was $5,000 per year ($2.50 per hour)......

ScrapIron said:
Anyone on here that has posted against a wage increase has forfeited their right to complain about the quality of CMs.

Cheers.

Like I said before. .40 per hour is not going to make quality of work any better.

speck76 said:
wrong....and just a very unlogical and stupid statement.....

It's called pride in the workplace. Something that you problably do not possess in your current situation. And that is why you aren't making a better wage.

Tracks N Slabs said:
Two of my favorite quotes by Will Rogers, seem to fit in well here.

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

and

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.

Some of you will never fully understand what this is all about, some of you will never be open minded enough to understand. Some of you who are "experts" don't seem to understand how the process works. It is one thing to spout off at the keyboard, 10, 50 or 2000 miles away... it is another to live it everyday.

Unless your directly involved on the part of the company, its employee's, or their union I don't think you will see the end of this debate. It is the first step in a long process that will continue for many years. Consider this the opening volley in the 2007 contract talks.

I am a shareholder and have any say I wish

wannab@dis

Aprilnjosh said:
It's called pride in the workplace. Something that you problably do not possess in your current situation. And that is why you aren't making a better wage.
:veryconfu

You may want to read the posts again... I'm not sure why you quoted Speck76.

darrin

Ok, want to talk more money: I'm a full-time, career AEMT-intermediate and work on a 9-1-1 ambulance in a major city. My job involves patient care (doing IV's, administering fluids/meds, and making life and death decisions daily!). The starting wage of an EMT-basic (not able to do invasive procedures, but still having to make life and death decisions when no paramedic back-up is available), is $7.90/hr! I'm at almost $10.00/hr right now, and when I complete paramedic school in august, my starting wage as a medic is $12.50/hr. I'm not saying that my job outweighs a CM. I have a great deal of respect for people (such as CM's) that put themselves on the line in other ways to make someone else's day a little better. My point is, I completely understand the need to want to earn more money, but you also have to be pro-active in the process by educating yourself, as well. It's a two-way street. :brick:

speck76

Original Poster
Aprilnjosh said:
I think you are a bit confused....I do not work for Disney, and do not support a wage increase....

As for me personally, I moved to Orlando 10 years ago, and made a low wage....and worked my butt off to better myself....I now make more in 1 day of work than I used to make in a week......because I "managed" my career goals...

yeah, I could have gone and worked for WDW....I am sure it would have been more fun, and I would have met more people and I owuld have been able to party more....but where would I be today?

I think a major issue is that a certain part of the CM workforce works for WDW because of the romantic side of it....making magic, working on Walt's vision.....blah blah blah....and there is nothing wrong with that.....but if you clean the skid marks out of toilets on Main Street, or at Wal-Mart....you are still just a janitor.....being a janitor on Main Street does not make you special....

HaamJaambo

TiggerRPh said:
Oh...you have to be kidding me. It's amazing how free people are with money when it's not theirs. An increase of wages to that level or higher would be devastating.

I find it incredible that Americans comment about what wages companies should be able to afford to pay workers, yet shop at WalMart or wherever they can get the cheapest price on something. Everyone wants everyone to be paid $10/hr but wants their t-shirts to be under $10.

Wages are a company's biggest expense. Wages paid are decided by what is the minimum amount needed to get workers to do the job...not by what society decides people deserve.
Those wacky Bolsheviks at Business Week beg to differ with you: The Costco Way<!--/HEADLINE--><!--DECK-->: Higher wages mean higher profits. But try telling Wall Street

TiggerRPh said:
Name one industry that's unionized that's not messed in this country. Unions served their purpose years ago but no longer.

The union just makes any employee/employer relationship bad.

The service industries, and the hotel and restaurant industries would disagree with you. Many of the relationships in these industries are good because of unions. Unions are about more than just wages. They bargain collective agreements which could not otherwise be achieved individually. Where almost all states are "employment at will," an employee's job is far from secure, no matter how hard you work, or no matter how much you've paid for your education. Collective bargaining agreements can provide at least a bit of assurance that an employee will not be discharged without just cause. As for raises, most union contracts do not provide the same exact blanket raise for every employee. Of course most provide for blanket raises to cover the usual rate of inflation adjustments, but many also provide for merit raises based on performance evaluations. Is this bad?

I think CMs deserve a raise. Does everyone want a raise? Of course. Is everyone affected by soaring gas prices? Sure. However, not everyone has the same employer. Folks have different duties and responsibilities, and gas prices affect people in different ways. Just because people can find higher paying jobs doesn't mean that Disney should not pay it's CM higher wages. Just because the company has the inherent right to pay the wages it sees fit, does not mean that it should not pay higher wages.

CMs provide a service, and they deserve to be compensated for that service. That service has great value to the experience which Disney tries to sell at its resorts and parks. The executives in charge of setting CM wages have their opinion as to what those services are worth. Likewise, the CMs have their own opinion about what their services are worth. Each individual CM does not have the ability to negotiate wages with the company. However, the Union gives CMs a voice. There is nothing wrong with trying to negotiate the terms and conditions of one's employment, regardless of the social status of that job or regardless of the education required to perform that job. I would argue that a CM who works 6 days a week and 20+ hours of overtime works hard enough to earn the right to have her voice heard, and to have her wages and benefits negotiated.

Employees who work in the service industry deserve just as much respect as an executive for the simple fact that they are both human beings.

disneyjesus said:
The service industries, and the hotel and restaurant industries would disagree with you. Many of the relationships in these industries are good because of unions. Unions are about more than just wages. They bargain collective agreements which could not otherwise be achieved individually. Where almost all states are "employment at will," an employee's job is far from secure, no matter how hard you work, or no matter how much you've paid for your education. Collective bargaining agreements can provide at least a bit of assurance that an employee will not be discharged without just cause. As for raises, most union contracts do not provide the same exact blanket raise for every employee. Of course most provide for blanket raises to cover the usual rate of inflation adjustments, but many also provide for merit raises based on performance evaluations. Is this bad?

I think CMs deserve a raise. Does everyone want a raise? Of course. Is everyone affected by soaring gas prices? Sure. However, not everyone has the same employer. Folks have different duties and responsibilities, and gas prices affect people in different ways. Just because people can find higher paying jobs doesn't mean that Disney should not pay it's CM higher wages. Just because the company has the inherent right to pay the wages it sees fit, does not mean that it should not pay higher wages.

CMs provide a service, and they deserve to be compensated for that service. That service has great value to the experience which Disney tries to sell at its resorts and parks. The executives in charge of setting CM wages have their opinion as to what those services are worth. Likewise, the CMs have their own opinion about what their services are worth. Each individual CM does not have the ability to negotiate wages with the company. However, the Union gives CMs a voice. There is nothing wrong with trying to negotiate the terms and conditions of one's employment, regardless of the social status of that job or regardless of the education required to perform that job. I would argue that a CM who works 6 days a week and 20+ hours of overtime works hard enough to earn the right to have her voice heard, and to have her wages and benefits negotiated.

Employees who work in the service industry deserve just as much respect as an executive for the simple fact that they are both human beings.

While I do agree with job security and just cause for dismissal, I still can't see giving everyone a payraise especially ones who do not deserve it. On the other hand, raises for cost of living I guess is a good argument.

Captain Chaos

In related news in today's Orlando Sentinel:

Hong Kong Disneyland Actors Get Raises

By Associated Press |
Posted May 21, 2006, 3:21 PM EDT
ADVERTISEMENTS

HONG KONG -- Actors who dress up as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and other characters to greet visitors at Hong Kong Disneyland are getting pay raises and longer breaks, the park said Sunday, following complaints of work-related injuries, low pay and quick turnarounds between shifts.

Hong Kong Disneyland said in a statement it will increase the monthly base pay of the character performers by 11 percent from $1,160 to $1,300 starting June 1.

"This adjustment is the result of benchmarking efforts internally ... with the external Hong Kong market and with other Disney parks," the statement said.

The company added that break times for the actors have been increased from 30 minutes every hour to 40 minutes from April until September due to hot weather and that pregnant employees would be stationed at air-conditioned locations and be given lighter work loads if necessary.

Character actors who greet visitors at the park had complained that night shifts would sometimes be followed by morning shifts and that their pay trailed the $1,420 monthly salary earned by those who appear in shows.

The performers also said they suffered from muscle pain and neck and waist injuries from wearing the costumes.

The South China Morning Post Sunday quoted a spokeswoman for the workers, Elaine Hui, as saying they welcome the changes, but that "there is still room for improvement."

Calls to a local union that works with the Hong Kong Disneyland workers went unanswered Sunday.

Aprilnjosh said:
While I do agree with job security and just cause for dismissal, I still can't see giving everyone a payraise especially ones who do not deserve it. On the other hand, raises for cost of living I guess is a good argument.

Right, that's why many contracts call for a base raise to compensate for cost of living increases, along with a merit increase to reward those who deserve a raise.

wannab@dis

disneyjesus said:

Unfortunately, what you are describing is the utopian union that doesn't exist. In most instances, the unions hold companies hostage with contracts, ignore problem workers and reward everyone the same even though some employees are much better than others.

Disneyland1970

speck76 said:
I think a major issue is that a certain part of the CM workforce works for WDW because of the romantic side of it....making magic, working on Walt's vision.....blah blah blah....and there is nothing wrong with that.....but if you clean the skid marks out of toilets on Main Street, or at Wal-Mart....you are still just a janitor.....being a janitor on Main Street does not make you special....

I would be willing to bet that there are some union janitors in NY or SF who would have no problem betting you who has a higher pay check! I know cost of living is much higher, but if you were to even everything out economically, they are thankful of the union.

Also Wal Mart probably is not a good example of a good employer, many violations of Fed labor laws and the whole family is on the richest list every year. They did not get on that by clipping coupons.

TAC

And what about the "union brothers and sisters" that are at the bottom of the senority list? How are they more secure than anyone who works for a company without a union?

Most companies, union or not, will find a "just cause" to fire you if they want to. You are sadly mistaken to think that you cannot be fired because you are in a union.

Most, if not all, union contracts have a yearly raise for all union employees covered under the contract, and yes, there is usually some sort of merit raise based on performance. However, ask any new employee, just after the performance review period these two questions: "Do you feel that you deserved more of a raise?" "Did you hear any of the higher senority union members (> 10 years) griping about how low their raise was?" I'll bet the answers to both questions is YES. And why is that? Because a union contract keeps wages down.

If a company is non-union, and they are smart, they will: a) pay reasonably well to get the best workers. b) give decent raises to keep those workers. From the employees' point of view, working for a company like that will keep them happy, and they will be less likely to leave the company for "greener pastures."

disneyjesus said:

wannab@dis said:
Unfortunately, what you are describing is the utopian union that doesn't exist. In most instances, the unions hold companies hostage with contracts, ignore problem workers and reward everyone the same even though some employees are much better than others.

It's a good thing you supported that with facts.

Poor corporations, I'm sure they are really being held "hostage" when its employees ask for such frivilous things such as health care or wages which justify the hard work, and often humiliating jobs they perform. Unions help to balance the field between financially sophisticated executives and often-times less sophisticated laborers when it comes to negotiating fair working conditions.

There is nothing utopian about the way I described unions. Of course they are not all run that way, but I never said that they did. To claim that none of them help to secure jobs, wages, and working conditions is completely false. Unfortunately, in order to protect all workers, inevitably, some under-performing workers will take advantage of the system. I believe the benefits of protecting the hard-working employees clearly outweigh the disadvantages which arise from a handful of bad eggs.

To be fair, I don't know the economic facts and realities which face the CMs and the Disney Company. However, I cannot come up with one good reason, why CMs, through their exclusive bargaining representative, chosen by the majority of the bargaining unit (which is a guaranteed right under the national labor relations act), should not be allowed to propose and negotiate a higher salary.

If CMs want higher wages, and Disney does not want to grant them, CMs can strike, and Disney is free to hire replacement workers. That is not holding the company hostage.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
disneyjesus said:

Poor corporations, I'm sure they are really being held "hostage" when its employees ask for such frivilous things such as health care or wages which justify the hard work, and often humiliating jobs they perform. Unions help to balance the field between financially sophisticated executives and often-times less sophisticated laborers when it comes to negotiating fair working conditions.

There is nothing utopian about the way I described unions. Of course they are not all run that way, but I never said that they did. To claim that none of them help to secure jobs, wages, and working conditions is completely false. Unfortunately, in order to protect all workers, inevitably, some under-performing workers will take advantage of the system. I believe the benefits of protecting the hard-working employees clearly outweigh the disadvantages which arise from a handful of bad eggs.

To be fair, I don't know the economic facts and realities which face the CMs and the Disney Company. However, I cannot come up with one good reason, why CMs, through their exclusive bargaining representative, chosen by the majority of the bargaining unit (which is a guaranteed right under the national labor relations act), should not be allowed to propose and negotiate a higher salary.

If CMs want higher wages, and Disney does not want to grant them, CMs can strike, and Disney is free to hire replacement workers. That is not holding the company hostage.
You know, if they did strike, I for one would be willing to take my vacation and use my DVC points to go work a CM job for a while.

wannab@dis

disneyjesus said:

Neither side of this debate has the wherewithal to provide strong facts to support their contentions... however, a quick look at the business sections of any national newspaper will give you an idea of how good unions are for corporations. Several are in or on the verge of bankruptcy caused in large part by bloated employee pay and benefits.

disneyjesus said:

Sure it is... Unfortunately that's the exact story that most news media outlets would play to the fullest and cause a major stink. The unions know this and use it as part of their negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom