Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin_K

BwanaBob said:
Please respect the opinions of others on the board and agree to disagree on viewpoints. There are many on the board with extremely different backgrounds.

Sorry if I sound rude here, but Disneyland1970 was just defending his position which was attacked. The person he was responding to was not only NOT respecting the opinion of others, but was also attacking the character of people who share DL1970's position.

Your post should not have been addressed to just one person.

On that note, I probably will not post on this topic anymore -- or at least I'll try :lol:

BwanaBob

Justin_K said:
Sorry if I sound rude here, but Disneyland1970 was just defending his position which was attacked. The person he was responding to was not only NOT respecting the opinion of others, but was also attacking the character of people who share DL1970's position.

On that note, I probably will not post on this topic anymore -- or at least I'll try :lol:
You're right. In haste, I replied via 'quote' vs. 'post'.

Error corrected- Thank-you

speck76

Original Poster
Disneyland1970 said:
Strike one... United is an employee owned company. So they all had the well being of the company in mind. It was them. All airlines are still recovering from the 9/11 tragedy and high oil prices. If this was a good excuse for your Idol Eisner to cut back why not United?.

United is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ symbol UAUA) Why is it that almost every major airline has filed for chapter 11 (Delta, NWA, United, TWA Continental, Vanguard, US Airways) some even before 9/11, due to high labor costs....yet airlines like JetBlue, non-union, are growing....if not thriving. NWA had 4x the number of mechanics per aircraft that JetBlue has.....yet no better safety record.....why is that?

Disneyland1970 said:
Strike two.... If you think $50k is a high salary, you dont make squat. Also why knock him for working OT at time and a half. Just because you work salary! In the real world Pensions and health care are normal. Maybe your job is not that great?.

I don't think $50K is a high salary....I think it is a high salary for a ground worker at for an airline. I think double and triple pay for holidays is excessive. Pensions are no longer the norm, most companies participate in 401k programs that place the burden of saving on the employee, and the company will match a certain percentage.....neither is fully subsidised healthcare....why should the company and its shareholders pay out the nose so you can have 42 kids?

Disneyland1970 said:
Strike three....The unions can only promise what is on a ratified contract. If the employer signs on the dotted line with the union how is that not level! They both agreed. Maybe they had to strike to get what they wanted, but some people actually have the willingness to fight for what is right, not just have you spoon feed them your spiel for the workplace.

They fight was is right for them.....not for the company, and this is why companies fail.....and this is why people do not like unions. If they would stop being so greedy, they would end up much better off in the long term. Ask the employees of GM & Delphi how much that extra 3% they got 2 years ago is helping them now that they have no job

Jheyman

close thread

Steve is there anyway to close this thread? I just think it is going nowhere and I know a lot of us are biting our tounge agianst some of specks comments please if it can be done lock this thread there is no end in site and some folks apparently cannot leave well enough alone.

Captain Chaos

Speck, I am not disagreeing with you.. But you Say employees need to stop being greedy?? What about the companies?? My company is a great example of a company that screws their employees and worries about the profits... My company made a profit of over 150 million for the 1st quarter of this year.. and 2nd quarter looks like it will top that.. And NO RAISES FOR THE EMPLOYEES!!! Where is the love for the employees??? And when wew question managers about raises, their response is, LEAVE... Don't you think companies own their employees something other than stress and heart attacks??? They want happy employees, but don't do anything to make those employees happy.. They want good workers, but they dont do anything to make the employees feel like they need to be good... Instead, they say WE ONLY MADE 150 MILLION THIS QUARTER.. LAY OFF 500 PEOPLE.. Who should the company have an allegiance to, the shareholders and Wall street or their employees?? I say their employees.. I am not saying the company needs to pay for my medical coverage or match my 401K.. they do match out 401K, but no pension plan... And with the cost of living going up, salaries need to go up too.. Instead of raising the emnployees salaries, they lay peopel off and move the jobs to India, Africa, Mexico and other foreign countries, lower slararies, higher earnings.. higher stock price, MORE MONEY IN THE CEO's POCKET!!!!!

So who really is greedy????

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:

What?

Defending a position, but not attacking?!? What I've seen him post is far worse than anything else written in this thread. Try again.

artvandelay

speck76 said:
United is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ symbol UAUA) Why is it that almost every major airline has filed for chapter 11 (Delta, NWA, United, TWA Continental, Vanguard, US Airways) some even before 9/11, due to high labor costs....yet airlines like JetBlue, non-union, are growing....if not thriving. NWA had 4x the number of mechanics per aircraft that JetBlue has.....yet no better safety record.....why is that?

Jet Blue has had 2 down quarters in a row. They are predicting a return to profitability for the next quarter.

Southwest is an airline that is well run, makes money, and is Union.

TAC

As opposed to attacking me and and attacking my character ? Show me where I "attacked his position" or where I did not "respect his opinion?" In fact, it was he who attacked MY position, did not respect MY opinion, and attacked MY character.

Justin_K said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom