Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thelazer said:
$8 a week is the fee.
Some pay $6.00 a week, others I think are $13.00 a week.
So, lets see I'd be giving myself a .02 per hour raise by leaving the union?

I'd rather take the .40cents per hour raise the union's trying to get.

how many people that are members of unions are going to get the high paying positions? I'd say none!

:sohappy:

Justin_K

Wannab, april -- But you're ok with millionaires on the board increasing their salaries without merit (that DOES happen, you know). I just don't understand this lack of empathy for the CMs at Disney, but you're not saying a word about the board.

Hey can I borrow one of your private jets sometime? :D

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:
Wannab, april -- But you're ok with millionaires on the board increasing their salaries without merit (that DOES happen, you know). I just don't understand this lack of empathy for the CMs at Disney, but you're not saying a word about the board.

Hey can I borrow one of your private jets sometime? :D
You may want to look into corporate finance a little more... the board members don't make that much from the company. ;)

Justin_K

wannab@dis said:
You may want to look into corporate finance a little more... the board members don't make that much from the company. ;)

So I imagined that salary increase last year for the corporate executives at Disney? (Eisner for example)

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:
So I imagined that salary increase last year for the corporate executives at Disney? (Eisner for example)
Corporate executives are not the same as board members.

The largest part of an executives pay is based on the performance of the company. There's a HUGE difference between the VP of the Parks and the guy pushing the broom down Main Street. If you don't realize that, then there's no hope for this debate to progress.

Justin_K said:
So I imagined that salary increase last year for the corporate executives at Disney? (specifically Eisner)

Specifically Eisner--no longer on the board if my memory serves me correctly. Disney is now regrouping. As a result, Disney's earnings soared 19%. Their theme parks were up only 7%. Until the parks show a vast improvement, raises across the board would be a moot point. A castmember is not going to work any harder if they get a .40 per hour raise. Neither will they be satisfied.

wannab@dis said:
Corporate executives are not the same as board members.

The largest part of an executives pay is based on the performance of the company. There's a HUGE difference between the VP of the Parks and the guy pushing the broom down Main Street. If you don't realize that, then there's no hope for this debate to progress.

No kidding...the guy who is VP most likely also pushed a broom down Main Street before that. Work for the company...not against.;)

Justin_K

Yes, I know corporate executives are not the same as board members. I also realize that there's a difference between the VP of the Parks and the guy pushing the broom down Main Street.

I also know that the board did approve certain salary increases in the past that were not deserved.

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:
That's true.

I support across the board pay raises as well as an increase in starting wages for CMs at Disney.
By the way... did you walk into your office this morning and hand out raises to all your workers?

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:
Yes, I know corporate executives are not the same as board members. I also realize that there's a difference between the VP of the Parks and the guy pushing the broom down Main Street.

I also know that the board did approve certain salary increases in the past that were not deserved.
Ok, you're upset that some salary increases for execs were not deserved, yet you support across the board raises for all the CMs at Disney. You do realize that a portion of those CMs do NOT deserve a raise... right?

You're not making any sense.

MickeyTigg

Name one industry that's unionized that's not messed in this country. Unions served their purpose years ago but no longer.

Look at two of the auto manufacturers in the US that are successful...Toyota America and Saturn...what do they have in common besides good consumer feedback on their cars...non-unionized. The workers are taken care of because the companies what happy employees and want to work with the employees to make good cars.

The union just makes any employee/employer relationship bad.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
DisneyGrl85 said:
WOW, that's crazy. For being such a huge company they could afford to pay more.
Yes they could. But that is not relevant. The wage is dictated by what it takes to keep the labor force on the job. If they could get the number of people they needed by paying half of what they pay now, they would.

People need to realize that there are market forces involved. Disney is not a charity driven organization. It is a business.

Justin_K

wannab@dis said:
Ok, you're upset that some salary increases for execs were not deserved, yet you support across the board raises for all the CMs at Disney. You do realize that a portion of those CMs do NOT deserve a raise... right?

You're not making any sense.

No, I was just pointing out that execs get undeserved salary increases. I wanted to make that clear while we were taking about undeserving CMs.

And to clarify my position, I support an increase in starting wages and would support an inital across the board raise to go along with that. I don't know if the union is asking for that, I only saw the starting wages mentioned in the article. As you said, you can't have someone who has been there longer get the same pay as a newcomer. I also strongly believe in merit raises like you do - and unless the worker is not being compensated fairly (as with the CMs), that's how you increase wages.

BTW, I can name plenty of union shops that are not "messed up." That's a rediculous statement.

ScrapIron

Anyone on here that has posted against a wage increase has forfeited their right to complain about the quality of CMs.

Cheers.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ScrapIron said:
Anyone on here that has posted against a wage increase has forfeited their right to complain about the quality of CMs.

Cheers.
Thank you for that decleration. It means nothing.

speck76

Original Poster
ScrapIron said:

Cheers.
wrong....and just a very unlogical and stupid statement.....

wannab@dis

ScrapIron said:

Cheers.
No, actually the opposite is quite true.

wannab@dis

Justin_K said:
No, I was just pointing out that execs get undeserved salary increases. I wanted to make that clear while we were taking about undeserving CMs.

And to clarify my position, I support an increase in starting wages and would support an inital across the board raise to go along with that. I don't know if the union is asking for that, I only saw the starting wages mentioned in the article. As you said, you can't have someone who has been there longer get the same pay as a newcomer. I also strongly believe in merit raises like you do - and unless the worker is not being compensated fairly (as with the CMs), that's how you increase wages.

BTW, I can name plenty of union shops that are not "messed up." That's a rediculous statement.
Undeserved Exec salary increases is a very subjective viewpoint. It appears to me that TWDC has put together a couple of very good years so the execs must be doing something right.

However, for the regular CMs, only their manager/supervisor has any idea of whether they deserve a raise or not... not the unions.

Even though I didn't make the statement about union shops... I'll have to agree with them. Almost all union shops would be better off without the union. You want a couple of BIG examples? GM and Delta

Lee

Adventurer
I'm not gonna read all five pages, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.
I read somewhere (I forget where) that someone ran the numbers to compare Disney wages from today with the 1960's, when Disneyland was getting the cream of the crop of young people looking for work.
I may be off by a dollar or two, but back then CMs were on average making the equivalent of about $23/hour in todays dollars.

Tracks N Slabs

Two of my favorite quotes by Will Rogers, seem to fit in well here.

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

and

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.

Some of you will never fully understand what this is all about, some of you will never be open minded enough to understand. Some of you who are "experts" don't seem to understand how the process works. It is one thing to spout off at the keyboard, 10, 50 or 2000 miles away... it is another to live it everyday.

Unless your directly involved on the part of the company, its employee's, or their union I don't think you will see the end of this debate. It is the first step in a long process that will continue for many years. Consider this the opening volley in the 2007 contract talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom