Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

seascape

No, I probably didn't pay much attention to it.

Thanks for feeling sorry me though. It's the people I know. They tell me the truth.

PM me if you want. That'll avoid clogging up the forum any more.
I wanted to say this in public. I do think you have some very good points and that you have every right to express them. You are one of the better universal fans.

As for everyone else and this included some of the rude disney fans please take a minute to read your post before submitting, think about it and try to edit out what is not needed. I think this site could be great if we all jus c old disagree without getting pereonal. Let's all have fun and learn from each other.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I was reading some of you posts about universal and their rides. I especially liked how you excuse any universal problems and only seem to express negative views towards disney. As for your saying everyone knows my point of view you are incorrect. The other thread was on the universal section. This is the Disney section. The Disney fans should have the right to fully express their views here just like universal fans are the majority over their. You do have the right and are welcome to your views but please do not insult or gripe about others. Thanks.
Do us all a favor and find Marni's fan vids of Disney shows and attractions. The love and time he puts into these quality videos will quickly shut you up about whether or not he's one of the biggest Disney fans in the world.

maxairmike

I wanted to say this in public. I do think you have some very good points and that you have every right to express them. You are one of the better universal fans.

As for everyone else and this included some of the rude disney fans please take a minute to read your post before submitting, think about it and try to edit out what is not needed. I think this site could be great if we all jus c old disagree without getting pereonal. Let's all have fun and learn from each other.

:hilarious: :bored: :facepalm:

You're talking about the guy with a SSE diagram as his avatar, the same person who has spent innumerable hours putting together an exhaustive video history trove of Disney parks and attractions, right? I think you have things a little confused...

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the direction of some contract law or previous precedent for Section I of the contract being as binding as you want to repeatedly claim, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm going to trust my understanding, as well as the understanding of many other friends and colleagues who all have had similar conversations in the past and reached the same conclusion that basically everyone except you has reached.

Oh, and just so we're clear, I'm not a Universal fan. Neither am I a "Disney fan." I am a fan of the entire industry and my "loyalty" is only to whatever parks are making things that make me excited. Being loyal to a brand (especially in this industry) is just not worth it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Lets not.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do think you have some very good points and that you have every right to express them. You are one of the better universal fans.
Thank you. Although I'm a themed park fan as much as a Universal fan. I have a certain mouse as a tattoo. Can't pledge alegence more than that. California, Paris and the Far East parks have a lot going for them. As does WDW. Sadly the latter has a lot going against it too. More than its cousins. And I believe that Uni Orlando is at the top of its game right now with a very bright future.

IMHO of course.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do us all a favor and find Marni's fan vids of Disney shows and attractions. The love and time he puts into these quality videos will quickly shut you up about whether or not he's one of the biggest Disney fans in the world.

:hilarious: :bored: :facepalm:

You're talking about the guy with a SSE diagram as his avatar, the same person who has spent innumerable hours putting together an exhaustive video history trove of Disney parks and attractions, right? I think you have things a little confused....
And thank you both.

71jason

Well, considering the success of the movies, why haven't they done anything new with Marvel, a la Iron, Cap, or Avengers? Especially since everyone here goes on and one about how Uni can get stuff done so quickly.

Busy with Potter (expansion plans started as original land was opening). Also, MSHI is fully built out, like Seuss Landing. JP and KidZone need the love more right now. (JP was never truly finished 15 years ago.)

BryceM

Yeah, I've always been sort of confused as to why some people want Marvel out of IoA. Spider-Man is one of the best rides of all time, and I think the land is executed very well, as it's intended to be a comic book city. It looks just like that. And I love Doctor Doom's queue and premise.

I think it would be smart for Universal to expand Marvel Super Hero Island into the dead zone between Marvel and Toon Lagoon. IoA is my favorite theme park, but I'm tired of that forgotten theater and the tacky carnival games.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Busy with Potter (expansion plans started as original land was opening). Also, MSHI is fully built out, like Seuss Landing. JP and KidZone need the love more right now. (JP was never truly finished 15 years ago.)
The work going on in JP is being considered to finally make the land a true "land" in the sense of the rest of the park. Whether the planned dark ride will ever happen too is anyone's guess. Same for the coaster (which seems less and less likely now)

I'd expect something more in Seuss once Kong is finished. And the other park is going to get a lot of love too aside from Kidzone.

To coin a phrase, Comcast and Uni Creative are on one hell of a roll. They just can't decide what to build next. Literally.

71jason

Um, it's called "Universal can't add any Marvel characters/franchises who aren't already featured in the area or base their attractions on the movies"? Captain America and Hulk are the only Avengers they could use. S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't have any real presence in the island, while Iron Man is non-existent and Thor nowhere to be seen.

Wrong, they have rights to the entire Avengers "family." Cap and Hulk but also Iron Man, Thor, even Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (and Ultron) form the next movie. Could probably make an argument for Nick Fury as well, tho not sure have rights to the Ultimates line, so he'd probably have to be a white guy.

Iron Man is featured in MSHI btw. One of the more prominent giant cut-outs and a life-sized set or armor in the comic book shop. I think there are Thor and Quicksilver cut-outs as well. But there's no legit argument either of those guys aren't in the "Avengers family."

71jason

The work going on in JP is being considered to finally make the land a true "land" in the sense of the rest of the park. Whether the planned dark ride will ever happen too is anyone's guess. Same for the coaster (which seems less and less likely now)

I'd expect something more in Seuss once Kong is finished. And the other park is going to get a lot of love too aside from Kidzone.

To coin a phrase, Comcast and Uni Creative are on one hell of a roll. They just can't decide what to build next. Literally.

Agreed. My point was I can see JP and KZ being a higher priority than building, say, a red and gold Iron Coaster or a Cap flat ride. MSHI already has 2 of the 3 best rides in the park, it doesn't need yet another weenie.

71jason

There are some Universal fans who read the contract with universal colored glasses, their version of pixie dust. /QUOTE]

And there are others of us who went to a top law school. Your argument is silly. Admittedly, they couldn't use Marvel characters in a third gate, but opening a third gate is not going to materially alter the right to use Marvel characters in IoA.

Disneyhead'71

What's the Uni equivalent of "pixie-dusters"? Because I think quite a few have been in this thread.

People criticize Disney for not immediately having plans for a Frozen ride, whereas Uni has done nothing to capitalize on the MCU films for six years and counting and the rebuttal is dismissive non-answers like, "They don't wanna" and "Coming up with innovative superhero attractions is HARD!"
OK, first off, no one said any of that. Second, Universal has opened a major E Ticket attraction every year since 2009 except 2011. So you bust their nuts, not because they aren't building anything, just not building upon your personal favorite IPs.

So when in the past 6 years should Uni have put aside their resort expansion plans to focus on one of the few areas of the resort that is already pretty fleshed out.

Disneyhead'71

There are some Universal fans who read the contract with universal colored glasses, their version of pixie dust. They can't understand that when a contract says when the resort is complete it will have 2 parks and a 3rd shopping area, it means that.. They think that means nothing but that Disney has to allow whatever they want. They can't have it both ways. The contract means exactly what it says. It is iron clad and as long as universal maintains what they have in the first rate manner they set with Harry Potter Disney can't get the rights back and Universal has to keep up what they promised and the park can't be bigger than what the contract states. A finished park is a finished park. A 2 gate park.
Ok, this has been explained ad nauseum. The first part of the contract explains the "project" not the resort. As in the resort expansion where CityWalk, the 3 older resort hotels and IOA were built. That is why the title of that section is titled " Project Description". It doesn't say "End all be all of Universal Resort Orlando EVER!".

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Hmm... Strike a nerve, maybe? Well, perhaps I'm wrong about Heathcliff. I mean, people love that silly orange cartoon cat when he squashes a spider or eats lasagna or... Oh, wait, that's Garfield. Heathcliff does... Uh... He's beloved for... Wait, wait, no I got this....
He's bad news
19871_thumb.gif

His comic is so surreal in it's failed attempts to be funny that it's gotten a following on various web communities because of that surreal unfunnyness. Also the nonsensical glory of the Garbage Ape.
i130530heathcliff.jpg

Disneyhead'71

In 1996, when Universal Studios Florida secured the rights to the King Feature Syndicate family of IPs, USF was a one park second fiddle near Walt Disney World. Since then game has changed. Does anyone think that the Universal of today would be going after Beetle Bailey?

And to compare the IPs that Universal utilized in 1996 to Disney buying Avatar now is silly. Why not compare Avatar to the IPs that Universal recently acquired. Potter, Transformers, and The Simpsons do quite well at moving merchandise.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom