Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

Matt_Black

In 1996, when Universal Studios Florida secured the rights to the King Feature Syndicate family of IPs, USF was a one park second fiddle near Walt Disney World. Since then game has changed. Does anyone think that the Universal of today would be going after Beetle Bailey?

And to compare the IPs that Universal utilized in 1996 to Disney buying Avatar now is silly. Why not compare Avatar to the IPs that Universal recently acquired. Potter, Transformers, and The Simpsons do quite well at moving merchandise.

Well, I happen to remember 1996. No one gave a crap about Hagar the Horrible, Heatchliff, or Gasoline Alley back then either.

PhotoDave219

I wanted to say this in public. I do think you have some very good points and that you have every right to express them. You are one of the better universal fans.

As for everyone else and this included some of the rude disney fans please take a minute to read your post before submitting, think about it and try to edit out what is not needed. I think this site could be great if we all jus c old disagree without getting pereonal. Let's all have fun and learn from each other.

And you still don't understand that adding a third gate does not void the contract.

seascape

And you still don't understand that adding a third gate does not void the contract.
I know this going to drive some people crazy here but I in my opinion and that of three lawyers I have spoke to who would love to take the case believe that a third gate would require a new contract. In any case no matter if we are right or wrong no one will know unless Universal first decides they want to build one, two they want to continue to use the Marvel attractions they currently have and three they don't believe that they have to sign a new contract. If and only if those three things happen will Disney then have the right to fight it.

I do not expect Disney to ever pay for the rights back and it looks like most people here agree with that. Especially the Universal fans who keep saying Disney would do nothing with them any way. On the other hand I do expect universal as they expand their parks.around to eventually give up upgrading the marvel attractions they can only have at one park and give back the rights. After all if you look at the high quality attractions they have and the costs of upgrades involved from a financial stand point it will not make sense in the future.

Every is free to agree with me or not on this but have to admit that we will never know who is right and who is wrong for years. I will also be one of the first to start a thread if I am shown to be wrong on section I if Universal adds a third gate without a new contract or a court case.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I know this going to drive some people crazy here but I in my opinion and that of three lawyers I have spoke to who would love to take the case believe that a third gate would require a new contract. In any case no matter if we are right or wrong no one will know unless Universal first decides they want to build one, two they want to continue to use the Marvel attractions they currently have and three they don't believe that they have to sign a new contract. If and only if those three things happen will Disney then have the right to fight it.

I do not expect Disney to ever pay for the rights back and it looks like most people here agree with that. Especially the Universal fans who keep saying Disney would do nothing with them any way. On the other hand I do expect universal as they expand their parks.around to eventually give up upgrading the marvel attractions they can only have at one park and give back the rights. After all if you look at the high quality attractions they have and the costs of upgrades involved from a financial stand point it will not make sense in the future.

Every is free to agree with me or not on this but have to admit that we will never know who is right and who is wrong for years. I will also be one of the first to start a thread if I am shown to be wrong on section I if Universal adds a third gate without a new contract or a court case.
Of course you will....

Or were you referring to monorail footers?

Matt_Black

I do not expect Disney to ever pay for the rights back and it looks like most people here agree with that. Especially the Universal fans who keep saying Disney would do nothing with them any way.

Except that is factually untrue. Look at the other Disney parks. They've been trotting out the Marvel characters for meet and greets, and there's the Iron Man attraction in the works over at Hong Kong, and if that's successful, other Disney Parks will be getting Marvel attractions. When that happens, WDW will stick out like a sore thumb, and Disney will most likely do something about that.

lazyboy97o

Maybe these 'lawyers' can tell us where the build out restrictions on the second resort are located.

Skip

Except that is factually untrue. Look at the other Disney parks. They've been trotting out the Marvel characters for meet and greets, and there's the Iron Man attraction in the works over at Hong Kong, and if that's successful, other Disney Parks will be getting Marvel attractions. When that happens, WDW will stick out like a sore thumb, and Disney will most likely do something about that.

I mean, I bet Disney would do something about it if it wouldn't cost them hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars with no immediate ROI...

But, you know, it would...

The Empress Lilly

I wanted to say this in public. I do think you have some very good points and that you have every right to express them. You are one of the better universal fans.

As for everyone else and this included some of the rude disney fans please take a minute to read your post before submitting, think about it and try to edit out what is not needed. I think this site could be great if we all jus c old disagree without getting pereonal. Let's all have fun and learn from each other.
And can I just say in public that I too think @marni1971 has some very good points about Orlando's theme parks, and how grateful I am new members grant him the right to express them here!

Why, of all the pompous es I've encountered on the internets...
rofl.gif

Skip

You mean like MyMagic +?

Nice try. MyMagic+ was supposed to have ROI and was pitched as such. We're talking crazy amounts of money JUST to get the rights back - that's before they spend anything on meet 'n greet characters or actual attendance boosting attractions, all of which would have to drive enough increased revenue to justify the construction of the new attraction(s) AND the purchase of the rights.

StageFrenzy

:cyclops:
YOU ARE WRONG and STOP IT.
Each online community is like a town. We have our Mayor, City Council, head of the local church, bridge troll, "concerned citizens" and of course the village idiot.

Most of the positions are currently filled, please stop trying to assume one of them.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
:cyclops:
YOU ARE WRONG and STOP IT.
Each online community is like a town. We have our Mayor, City Council, head of the local church, bridge troll, "concerned citizens" and of course the village idiot.

Most of the positions are currently filled, please stop trying to assume one of them.
To be completely fair, the position formerly held by Jimmy Thick is up for grabs...

PeterAlt

Someone mentioned to me today that once Diagon Alley & the Citywalk expansion are completed Universal will begin focusing attention back on IOA. (Which was apparent anyway with King Kong heading that way.)

But what got my attention was when they said that Universal is anticipating that Disney will buyout the Marvel contract and already have plans in place to bring in DC Comics.

I'm not sure if I believe a word of it, especially because Six Flags has the rights to DC.

But then it was pointed out to me that Uni has been selling DC merch for quite sometime.:confused:

All this could mean we would possibly see Marvel hit Disney World after all.

Anyone heard anything about this?

*Not sure which thread this was appropriate for so feel free to move*
Didn't I predict this would happen? I really hate having to fight with people who claim to know everything. No one knows everything. Including me.

PeterAlt

Lets say for just one instant this has a shred of credibility. (It Doesn't)

In Orlando.....

Has Disney done anything with its Star Wars plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with its Pixar Place plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with Avatar plans? Yes, continued to scale them back.

So even for one minute, if Disney had Marvel rights in Orlando, you think they could do anything with them? Of course not. Right now, they collect royalties and percentages as stated in the contract above without having to spend a dime. Thats not going to change as long as everyone makes a lot of money.
I understand your point, but that's a whole other issue. That issue is a management issue. Management and policies change all the time. I hope current management policy changes so that they capitalize on current IP better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom