Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the haters stayed home? These are people who can never be satisfied...even if Disney him have them a free stay. There would always be something to complain about. MMM+ is not a failure. It enhanced my last two trips beyond my expectations. Yes, there's going to be kinks and some may experience trouble but that's just life. Maybe if the haters would spend more time off line complaining and more time experiencing MM+ they would have a different opinion.
Arent you just complaining about the complainers there? Hating on the haters kinda makes you a...wait for it....hater. Glad YOUR trip went well but just for arguments sake lets pretend you had an issue with your band and had to visit guest relations a few times during your trip. You would be singing a different tune. MM+ has been great for some and awful for others. For the ones who have had no issues its hard to see why people dont like it but just try to put the shoe on the other foot. I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. @ParentsOf4 has said a bazillion times, "its a zero sum gain/loss".

I had no issues with it but saw several who did. One in particular was a gentleman at the AKL front desk and he just had a really stressed out look on his face. He wasnt screaming and yelling. Just waiting on the CM who was typing things on the computer. I will never forget the look on his face. It spoke volumes to me. I was walking around the resort enjoying a beer and soaking up the atmosphere (so fun at AKL) and I thought to myself, That guy just wants to be in the state of mind that I'm in right now, but he cant. It made me think of all the conversations Ive been a part of on this forum regarding MM+ and in that moment it made more sense why some people loathe the system. It just takes that one bad experience to kill it for you. Yes, they will work out some kinks but there will always be the possibility of a catastrophe that could happen to ANYONE with such a complex system.

One last thing and I promise im not trolling. When you say, "It enhanced my last two trips beyond my expectations." I have to ask what were your expectations going into it? Or perhaps how you were touring the parks before? Aside from booking FP online or on your phone to avoid running across the park I dont see any advantage. I pay cash and its just as easy if not faster than scanning my band. Flashing a paper FP was quicker than scanning my band, and entrance to the parks hasnt become lightning fast (at least for me). Again, I am glad you had a good experience and a good trip. Please dont take offense to my post as Im not trying to pick a fight. Just curious. Thanks

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There are times when sharing a common language with its own variations on terminology, can deliver un expected unintentional smiles to the initiated.
Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce?
-Bane (from Dark Night)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Even if Uni does implement something similar they probably won't invest the same ridiculous amount nor will they ignore park additions and maintenance to do so ...
That's a large assumption to make, and one based on two parks that are massively different in size and scale.
If UNI decided to implement something similar, I cannot guarantee what the state of their IT systems are under the covers, so I can't guarantee it's not as big of a mess, or bigger than Disney. Disney has twice as many parks and attractions, more than 10 times the number of hotel rooms that would be be impacted, and who knows how many POS systems as well. Yes, Disney may spend more, but it's likely because their resort is a large order of magnitude more complex.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's a large assumption to make, and one based on two parks that are massively different in size and scale.
If UNI decided to implement something similar, I cannot guarantee what the state of their IT systems are under the covers, so I can't guarantee it's not as big of a mess, or bigger than Disney. Disney has twice as many parks and attractions, more than 10 times the number of hotel rooms that would be be impacted, and who knows how many POS systems as well. Yes, Disney may spend more, but it's likely because their resort is a large order of magnitude more complex.
Not to mention that Universal would benefit from the troubleshooting and R&D Disney has already done.

Jimmy Thick

Funny how the Uni fanboi's come a runnin' with damage control, or attempt to.

Fact:
Disney is implementing MM+ which in the long run will become an industry standard.

Fact:
Universal will implement the exact same thing more or less because Disney did it and there is absolutely no way Universal cannot do the same things Disney has, they must adhere to Disney's standard which includes MM+.

Fact:
Disney and Universal will both steal your data'z because they in effect will have to. Nothing to do here but accept the mark of the beast or in this case a magic band.

Fact:
There is nothing wrong with any of this, its the future of hospitality.

Fact:
Universal just owned all the people saying how big and bad Disney is by pursuing MM+.

Fact:
Disney still rules the theme park world and everyone else follows their lead.

Fact:
People need to lay off Iger and applaud the man, apparently Comcast execs want to do the same as him.

Hope this clarifies things.

Jimmy Thick- Factually speaking.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Arent you just complaining about the complainers there? Hating on the haters kinda makes you a...wait for it....hater. Glad YOUR trip went well but just for arguments sake lets pretend you had an issue with your band and had to visit guest relations a few times during your trip. You would be singing a different tune. MM+ has been great for some and awful for others. For the ones who have had no issues its hard to see why people dont like it but just try to put the shoe on the other foot. I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. @ParentsOf4 has said a bazillion times, "its a zero sum gain/loss".

I had no issues with it but saw several who did. One in particular was a gentleman at the AKL front desk and he just had a really stressed out look on his face. He wasnt screaming and yelling. Just waiting on the CM who was typing things on the computer. I will never forget the look on his face. It spoke volumes to me. I was walking around the resort enjoying a beer and soaking up the atmosphere (so fun at AKL) and I thought to myself, That guy just wants to be in the state of mind that I'm in right now, but he cant. It made me think of all the conversations Ive been a part of on this forum regarding MM+ and in that moment it made more sense why some people loathe the system. It just takes that one bad experience to kill it for you. Yes, they will work out some kinks but there will always be the possibility of a catastrophe that could happen to ANYONE with such a complex system.

One last thing and I promise im not trolling. When you say, "It enhanced my last two trips beyond my expectations." I have to ask what were your expectations going into it? Or perhaps how you were touring the parks before? Aside from booking FP online or on your phone to avoid running across the park I dont see any advantage. I pay cash and its just as easy if not faster than scanning my band. Flashing a paper FP was quicker than scanning my band, and entrance to the parks hasnt become lightning fast (at least for me). Again, I am glad you had a good experience and a good trip. Please dont take offense to my post as Im not trying to pick a fight. Just curious. Thanks

Precisely,

I've never liked the ADR like concept of the MB from day one, Family does not choose months in advance what attractions they would like, Everyone in family has at least an AP DW and I have Premier Passports as I've noted I'm frequently on the left coast and its nice to visit DL for a few hours when I have the chance.

Last 2 trips (NGE testing worse luck) have been unable to link premier passports to MDE, The comment from CM well if you want to use MM- just buy a MMW ticket, Wanted to strangle them on the spot, I've already BOUGHT the most expensive ticket TWDC sells and now for an on-site DVC stay they want me to BUY ANOTHER BLOODY SET OF TICKETS FOR FULL PRICE just so I can use MM-.

I did not design system, I had no control over system deployment yet they want me to spend MORE MONEY to access an entitlement I've already paid for!!!, If that was only way to fix my issue why did they not comp the tickets or charge $1 if system would not allow tickets to be distributed for free.

What makes me so furious about this whole NGE is DIsney's attitude towards guests when they have a problem.

The whole 'What do you expect US to do about the problem WE caused' This speaks to an environment where CM's no longer have the autonomy to fix problems for guests and the guest is expected to simply to take it and pay up for services they may or may not receive.

Last edited:

luv

I seriously doubt Uni is planning to change their far superior FOTL thing in for Disney's pathetic imitation, which full of problems.

But even if they did, they wouldn't waste over a billion dollars on it.

$1,000,000,000.00

I still can't get over that. It's a colossal waste of money. On tech stuff. I can see college kids thinking that you have to keep up with technology simply because it exists. But business people who are much older and should know better spent A BILLION DOLLARS on these wristbands and door locks.

Such a shame.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I still can't get over that. It's a colossal waste of money. On tech stuff. I can see college kids thinking that you have to keep up with technology simply because it exists. But business people who are much older and should know better spent A BILLION DOLLARS on these wristbands and door locks.
My favorite part of the argument against all of this is that they spent a billion on wristbands and door locks. Not on the underlying internal IT systems that the entire company relies on. Not on any of the data analysis to try and find inefficiencies, not on any of the other thousand things that likely were a part of the project under the covers. $500 million on wristbands, $500 million on door locks. Nothing else.

Technology for technology's sake is silly. Technology to keep the systems viable into the future and to drive the business forward is not.

Butter

I seriously doubt Uni is planning to change their far superior FOTL thing in for Disney's pathetic imitation, which full of problems.

But even if they did, they wouldn't waste over a billion dollars on it.

$1,000,000,000.00

Such a shame.

You should really know better than to think they spent over a billion dollars on just a front of the line system. There are many, many legitimate business reasons that they spent that money. Now whether or not they will see a return on it is debatable, but this is about much more than a "FOTL" system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom