Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's the internet.

We should just feel lucky no Hitler references have been made in here yet..
adolf_hitler.jpg

Jimmy Thick

Maybe I missed something, but is there a particular reason why this would eliminate the Express pass? I would think that it would simply be integrated into the RFID chip. Resort guests and those that paid for Express Pass would scan their bands for entry into the current Express Pass line. Off property and Value resort guests could not.

It was pure speculation from the podcasters, some even said they never use front of the line to begin with, which is absurd especially during this time of year.

But eliminating front of the line and installing a MM+ system to appease, or making front of the line completely a pay per experience product instead of deluxe benefit would be enticing from Comcast's perspective just from a revenue standpoint. It would also force more days at Universal and with a new moderate/value resort to fill up, it would be good business. Universal has to begin to eliminate the "good neighbor" hotel out of the equation, they need to feature their own products to compete with the big boys, which they are desperately trying to do.

Jimmy Thick- Wall Street will notice and keep Comcast stock afloat for a little while longer...Maybe...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The notion of voluntary testing was not entirely truthful. Integrating the systems put people into the test regardless of whether or not they agreed. I spent probably an hour total waiting to get my tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party because they had already been linked to the MagicBands I did not have.
When checking in earlier this year the CM at the desk pulled out the grey magic bands and I said we would not need them because we had AP's and didnt want to link them yet since legacy FP was still available. She painted quite a dreary picture of what our vacation would be like without using the bands. If I was not as aware of what she was trying to do I would have been terrified. (she was very polite the whole time). I explained we did not want to participate in testing and risk any problems and we were fine using legacy FP. She still pressed on trying to convince us. ( still being polite). It was quite obvious that uninformed guests would have just taken the band without being offered the chance to opt out of testing. Not so voluntary in my book. The CM was not rude at all. Just doing her job.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Nothing I love more than 13 pages of people complaining about their real or imaginary issues with Disney's new system.
If you want, I'll append 13 pages of people loving the new system, with nary a mention of Universal in the lot!

Edit. "Loving the new system" sounds kinda dirty. Sorry.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
If you want, I'll append 13 pages of people loving the new system, with nary a mention of Universal in the lot!

Edit. "Loving the new system" sounds kinda dirty. Sorry.

Well, there is an entire forum dedicated to MM+, Magic Bands, etc.

And now that I think about it, this thread should have probably gone there, since it's not really WDW News. Maybe it should be moved to the Universal forum.

BryceM

Universal is a horrible theme park. Every time I go there, I feel like I am taking my life into my own hands, much like when I go to the local fair and ride a carnival ride operated by a guy with greasy hair and no teeth...same feeling at Universal...Who cares what they are doing? Of course they are going to try and copy Disney...let's hope Disney never tries to copy them. I've not used the magic band, but I do like my little card that my annual pass is converted to...however, I am not sure that it shortens lines at the main gates....ALSO Fastpass takes away the good old days where every ride (even the lame ones) had a 2 hour wait....Long live Figment!
..........................................................................................

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
800+ points though. Because of a bug in a new software app. That will be fixed if it isn't already.

It seems just a bit extreme. If this approach was spread consistently, then someone would trade in their car and never buy that brand again the first time the battery dies on it. Or sell the house the first time some water runs under the door to the garage.

Either money to burn or tough to believe. One or the other.

Really perhaps a third option is operative, I purchased DVC because it forced me to take vacations of reasonable length with family as I have a pretty busy professional life which generally revolves around 12-14 hour days 6 days a week.

PRE-NGE I could go to Disney 10 days power down phone and laptop most planning required was what park do we want to visit that day, Biggest interaction with technology was perhaps a FP kiosk there.

POST NGE
Need to have smartphone with Mophie pack so one can monitor state of vacation, need to plan everything 60 days in advance.

When you get there you can expect to spend 1-2 hours a day with with tech support to so your family can go on rides using AP's and Premier passports which will not link to MDE for love nor money or time invested.

At the office I have not spent 2 hours with help desk in TWO YEARS and I've been part of every pilot program for new technology.

And you wonder after two vacation disasters with NGE, I'm ready to wash my hands of the entire cursed thing. I used to go to vacation at DISNEY not spend time with the tech support folks no matter how nice they are.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When checking in earlier this year the CM at the desk pulled out the grey magic bands and I said we would not need them because we had AP's and didnt want to link them yet since legacy FP was still available. She painted quite a dreary picture of what our vacation would be like without using the bands. If I was not as aware of what she was trying to do I would have been terrified. (she was very polite the whole time). I explained we did not want to participate in testing and risk any problems and we were fine using legacy FP. She still pressed on trying to convince us. ( still being polite). It was quite obvious that uninformed guests would have just taken the band without being offered the chance to opt out of testing. Not so voluntary in my book. The CM was not rude at all. Just doing her job.

In our case in August - we were told we HAD to use the bands.

HTF

So it takes 8 months for the Potter Phase 2 thread to get to like 15 pages. A land with 2 Etickets and multiple new interactive elements along side the biggest and most successful theme park expansion ever next door at IOA. Even better it's opening up just 4 years after the first phase opened. #Hype Disney board or not 15 pages, really? But then at the very mention of Universal following in the foot steps of Disney with a form of augmented reality we have 13 pages of bashing within days. Btw has Universal announced how their system is going to work? Oh that's right we have nothing in terms of operations to go by just Pixie hallucinations...

Sounds to me like a few people are so upset about what's going on at TDO and the Walt Disney Company and even more upset that Universal has left Disney in the dust in terms of attractions and expansion. That they've become so blinded with rage they will just bash the first bit of "news" they hear. Almost like they were waiting for something other than another expansion green lit at Universal to come across the news bulletin.

Regardless of how it turns out I'm against MM/FP+ for both resorts but it is what it is. I guess I'll find comfort in the fact that Universal continues to build these crazy things called rides to support such an expansion project vs just adding FP to attractions that outside of 1 week of the year never generate more than a 5 min wait. I'm also not worried about the cost.

Disney MM/FP+ Cost 2 Billion
Exact same thing at Universal 250 Million

How sweet it is to speak the unblinded truth and no amount of Pixie Dust can cover that.

Hot Lava

I also neglected to mention that it will most likely result in a better churro experience as well based on info gathered from data mining.

This I would like if it will guarantee me fresh churros. They know I am in the park and I eat X number of churros a day, usually at certain times of the day; therefore time to make some fresh ones for my purchase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom