Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

Jimmy Thick

If you read the claims, its downright scary how they will be tracking every move guests make. It looks like some kind of "reader" will be involved, maybe oh a band?

Didn't some insider claim Universal was laughing at Disney for MM+ yet it appears Universal has been working on the exact same thing?

Jimmy Thick- Disney introduces the future and Universal will try to clone it, what else is new?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
If you read the claims, its downright scary how they will be tracking every move guests make. It looks like some kind of "reader" will be involved, maybe oh a band?

Didn't some insider claim Universal was laughing at Disney for MM+ yet it appears Universal has been working on the exact same thing?

Jimmy Thick- Disney introduces the future and Universal will try to clone it, what else is new?

There was one and I thought that they sounded uninformed when they said it. All these companies are going to try to gain efficiencies, gather data and increase revenues. MM+ biggest issues are operational right now (privacy as well if you feel violated). Fastpass+ needs tweaking.

Jimmy Thick

That's exactly what it looks to be. It was filed in July of 2012. WDWMagic forum panic to ensue ...

I just don't know how people will be able to go to Universal now that they will have all your data? I mean, your children's data is now all out there. Its so unsafe. Come to Potter, leave without your identity.

Jimmy Thick- Somehow Meg Crofton will get blamed...

Jimmy Thick

Claim 26:

The method of claim 25 establishing the data with a tracking system, wherein the data includes a location of the portable identification feature.

Looks like they will know when you go to the bathroom. And for how long. I wonder if people will still have to pay for front of the line on top of using the Universal data mining app to secure fastpasses?

Jimmy Thick- Disney has MM+, Universal's can be called UDM, the Universal Data Mining.

Potus1976

Having used MM+ twice now. I just don't see how it's a failure. I've had not one problem with the new system. As a matter of fact....I love it. I understand the disappointment in that it did cost a lot of money and some cut backs are happening. But to say it's a total failure is just not true. I loved using it as my hotel key, park ticket, and reservations for FP+ that now includes some shows and night time attractions. And I honestly do not cRe if Disney knows my every move in the park. I don't care if they can follow me. The new system will be upgraded and improved as time goes on and will become even better.

lazyboy97o

Having used MM+ twice now. I just don't see how it's a failure. I've had not one problem with the new system. As a matter of fact....I love it. I understand the disappointment in that it did cost a lot of money and some cut backs are happening. But to say it's a total failure is just not true. I loved using it as my hotel key, park ticket, and reservations for FP+ that now includes some shows and night time attractions. And I honestly do not cRe if Disney knows my every move in the park. I don't care if they can follow me. The new system will be upgraded and improved as time goes on and will become even better.
The failures are in its underestimated costs and oversold abilities in terms of crowd management, room occupancy and revenue generation. It was supposed to be a magic elixir.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member

You just committed cardinal sin #1 of the News & Rumor forum. You complimented MM+/FP+. Prepare to be flamed by the doom & gloom crew.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster

"Failure" is relative, and in the eye of the beholder. From an IT perspective, the system has some serious shortcomings and bugs to be worked out. From a macro guest satisfaction perspective, it's likely getting positive reviews. From those of us who utilized Legacy FP in an efficient and productive manner, FP+ gets poor reviews.

If the system meets the needs of most guests, and achieves the financial gains Disney hopes to achieve, it cannot be considered a failure.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
The failures are in its underestimated costs and oversold abilities in terms of crowd management, room occupancy and revenue generation. It was supposed to be a magic elixir.

Currently, in the ledger book, it could probably be considered a failure....except that the expenses are in the form of R&D, with future returns predictably making it a success. Again, depending on how you look at it and from which side.

Granted, the fact that Uni has patented a near identical system indicates that Disney's largest competitor does not see it as a failure.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
One advantage Uni will have is that it will be much easier to implement and then track due to their much smaller guest numbers each year compared to the Disney Parks.

Right...it will require MUCH less infrastructure. Less Wifi, fewer servers, more manageable databases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom